• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

You Copycat!

SourSenorKitty

at least 100
The reason most look alike is probably based off of how it's believed all Pokemon originate from one, Mew, and Arceus is God etc.
After years of breeding and natural selection, variations sprang up (Caterprie moved to warmer climates, became Wurmple? Higher food made Skitty's tail elongate for more uses, at some point becoming a Glameow?)
Maybe I'm getting too IRL on this though. I think all Pokemon with similarities are distant cousins of each other, just look at Pachirisu, Plusle/Minun, and the Pikachu line.

Then again...Pokemon never really has been TOO based off of the real world, so most likely I said something pretty stupid. >>

Fataal

Lone Archetype
I think all Pokemon with similarities are distant cousins of each other, just look at Pachirisu, Plusle/Minun, and the Pikachu line.

I like this idea far better than clones, copies, etc. They're all cousins that are seperated by regions.

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs
LEIK GUYZ DEOXYS-N IS A COPY OF DEOXYS-A!

On another note-
Garchomp is a super Salamence.
And Clamperl is a super-Shellder.

Dattebayo

Banned
A gen having copies of previous gen pokemon is sorta like a tradition in the games. You have three starters (grass, fire, and water), flying types and weakish normal types through the beginning of the game, a Pikachu wannabe, a pseudo-legendary stats Pokemon, a legendary trio, two god-like legendary Pokemon as the mascot of each separate version, and a mew wannabe.

Vernikova

Champion
Well, those type of Pokémon [Pidgey, Tailow, Sentret, Starly, etc] are common because they're based off of animals that can be commonly found. Pokémon like Tyranitar and Dragonite are just the “Pseudo-legendary” of their games since there has always been a super strong Pokémon in every game. Pokémon like Swalot and Spheal are just simple representations of what they're supposed to represent, their typing, so I don't see them as copies either.

.::Escalator::.

"GO TEAM BOOBIES!"
Yeah, and Zebras are a copy of Horses, that makes Poseidon so unoriginal.

I don't get the point of this thread, you're complaining that different pokemon who are based off members in the same class/genus, etc are unoriginal? I don't see anyone complaining that Grizzly Bears are too similar to Polar Bears.

CAH

Calm And Hyper
Yeah, and Zebras are a copy of Horses, that makes Poseidon so unoriginal.

I don't get the point of this thread, you're complaining that different pokemon who are based off members in the same class/genus, etc are unoriginal? I don't see anyone complaining that Grizzly Bears are too similar to Polar Bears.

Actually, I'm not complaining at all. I'm merely pointing out that certain pokemon are based on previously existing pokemon, and asking which pokemon people think are based on previous ones. Yes, maybe not such a great thread topic admitedly, but if you don't like it, no one's forcing you to post in it.

However it is true that certain pokemon are unoriginal, likely due to certain "traditions" being kept. Unlike in real life with grizzly bears and polar bears, in a game there is a choice to decide whether to make pokemon more orginal or not.

"GO TEAM BOOBIES!"
How do you make them more original? If you want a bear Pokemon, all you do is make it a bear and color it, the add some decor and change the build slightly. If you changed it too much people wouldn't be able to tell if it was a bear and it'd be pointless. Hence why you have bird pokemon looking similar to each other, etc, etc.

"GO TEAM BOOBIES!"
Infernape is the Mario of Competitive Battling and Blaziken is Luigi.

That has nothing to do with anything, and Infernape isn't even that popular. Steel-types dominate competitive battling: Lucario, Scizor, Bronzong, and to a lesser extent, things like Metagross, Heatran & Magnezone.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
Ok fine, how about...

Infernape shares alot with Blaziken.

Both are starter pokemon evos.
Both are Fighting and Fire types.
Both have the same base stat formula (higher Atk and Sp.Atk over lower Def and Sp.Def).
Both share many moves i.e. Flare Blitz, Shadow Claw, Blaze Kick, the list goes on.
Except Infernape came after Blaziken.

There, happy?

Luminous

Truly Altruistic
Ok fine, how about...

Infernape shares alot with Blaziken.

Both are starter pokemon evos.
Both are Fighting and Fire types.
Both have the same base stat formula (higher Atk and Sp.Atk over lower Def and Sp.Def).
Both share many moves i.e. Flare Blitz, Shadow Claw, Blaze Kick, the list goes on.
Except Infernape came after Blaziken.

There, happy?

So Mario and Luigi are both Fire/Fighting types? Please excuse me as I do not get your comparison. Besides, the Pokemon that I think is the 'Mario' of competitive battling is Scizor, due to his vast popularity on teams.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
No, it's just that Blaziken pales in comparison to Infernape, who is better than Blaziken in everyway possible. People like Blaziken because it is overshadowed by Infernape. This is my sole base for the comparison.

I'm not playing favorites or anything. You can, however, choose to ignore my comment completely if it does not make sense.

That's all I got concerning "clones". Anything else someone else has already said. Except all the regional bugs do outclass Beautifly. All of them.

CAH

Calm And Hyper
How do you make them more original? If you want a bear Pokemon, all you do is make it a bear and color it, the add some decor and change the build slightly. If you changed it too much people wouldn't be able to tell if it was a bear and it'd be pointless. Hence why you have bird pokemon looking similar to each other, etc, etc.

To make them more original you can

Change their typing so they aren't the same as previous similar pokemon, which I'll admit they did with Bibarel in making it water/normal

Change their evolution chain e.g.not all beginning normal types having only one evolution, not all begining bugs having three evolutions

Make pokemon based on things that haven't been used yet e.g. a dolphin, a peacock, a vulture etc.

I'm not just saying that they look similar to each other, but that their typing, evolution chain etc. are also similar, meaning they are essentially different versions of the same thing e.g. Wurmple and Caterpie, both bug type only, both turn into cocoons, both have a three evolution chain, both found near the begining of the game, or Rattata and sentret, both just normal, both have a two evolution chain, both near the beginning etc.

Last edited:

"GO TEAM BOOBIES!"
Typing & Evolutionary Chains are going to be similar: Aquatic pokemon will be water types, fighting types are always tetrapods, etc.

Sentret & Rattata are come kind of woodland ferret and a rat, they are different. They are weak & evolve quickly because they are found early in the game, they have the same typing because normal is pretty much just the "pokemon who don't really fit anywhere else" type.

Wurmple & Caterpie mimic real life, lots of bugs that seem similar to each other and completely different when you take a good look at them.

Johto King

2nd gen all the way!
bidoof rattata and sentret

GolemGuy

Better Than Thou
I hate how they made Luxray modeled after Manectric, and Luxray gets loads of attention while Manectric not much at all.

Also, Regigigas is lame for taking the uniqueness out of Hoenn.

darkexplosion

Doesnt bite
i think bidoof is modeled after ratatta