• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

You Copycat!

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
Starly is not a ripoff of Pidgey. Why is it so unlikely that multiple birds exist in the world? Sure, they're similar in function, but in physiology, they are very different. To compare the two is like calling Aggron a Rhydon ripoff.

JIMMAH!!!!

Pickin' a winner
PokeDillion96 said:
DUDE. Seriously...stop mini-modding on other boards and acting like your a total genious. Honestly nobody likes you.

BTW I agree with the board creator, Nintendo is just lazy and unoriginal so they have to copy the 1st or 2nd Gen's Pokemon in future Gens. It's all for the money....

Oh yeah, because Gamefreak is really lazy, especially in coding the games, spriting all the sprites, but yeah, they SURE are lazy. Oh, and everybody likes BCVM22!

And CAH, what you might not realize is that every gen has it's starting bird, starly, pidgy, etc.
And every gen has it's crappy start of game bugs, weedle, wurmple, etc.
And then there's the psuedo legends, metagross, garchomp, etc.
Then there's the electric rodents, plusle+minun, pachirirsu, that dumb yellow one that shall not be named...

So, it's not copying so much as following a sort of tradition.

Aviano

I dropped my balls
So Mario and Luigi are both Fire/Fighting types? Please excuse me as I do not get your comparison. Besides, the Pokemon that I think is the 'Mario' of competitive battling is Scizor, due to his vast popularity on teams.

Well, if Mario and Luigi would be any types, it would probally be Fire/Fighting, with them shooting fire out of their hands and all. I like it how one of the first actually contributions to this thread (on page 2!) is immediatly ridiculed. Shows how lame this thread is.

Oh yeah, because Gamefreak is really lazy, especially in coding the games, spriting all the sprites, but yeah, they SURE are lazy. Oh, and everybody likes BCVM22!

I don't. He uses words like tantamount. They confuse me. I wish I had a thesaurus. All my post would be fancy too...

oh wait, Meowth and that new cat Pokemon.. god what's the name again? the one with the funky tail and moon-based head? Those are both cats, AND normal types! Discuss!

ignite444

Burn baby, burn!
Ah yes, Meowth, Skitty, and Glameow.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
We really already know the answer to this thread...copies are in every game. It's the way the game works, you have your region's starting vermin, your starting bird, your starting moth/butterfly, then you go along in the game plowing through a bunch of Geodude, Zubat, and Tentacool, until you meet one of two legendaries, the one that's pictured on the box of your game, and some sort of trio, and probably a trio master, and the last member of the mascot trio, and an uber dragon. All copying what was last made. Art mimics life.

ungulateman

Miltank Man!
yeah, how about we stop mocking the OP about his opinion towards BCVM22. He gets his opinion, we get ours.

Anyway, the closest thing to a clone in Pokemon is Mewtwo. He's a clone of Mew, after all. ;)

the elite trainer

Warrior Of Darkness
Arceus, i'm really happy for you, and ima let you finish. But dialga was the best dog looking pokemon OF ALL TIME!

Fataal

Lone Archetype

CAH

Calm And Hyper
Typing & Evolutionary Chains are going to be similar: Aquatic pokemon will be water types, fighting types are always tetrapods, etc.

Sentret & Rattata are come kind of woodland ferret and a rat, they are different. They are weak & evolve quickly because they are found early in the game, they have the same typing because normal is pretty much just the "pokemon who don't really fit anywhere else" type.

Wurmple & Caterpie mimic real life, lots of bugs that seem similar to each other and completely different when you take a good look at them.

However thanks to dual typing, variety can be added e.g. water/electric, water/grass etc. However ALL weak birds at the beginning are normal/flying, a little variety would be nice e.g. dark/flying like honchcrow or even a new type combination. Also why do all weak rodents at the beginning only evolve once? How about one that could actually become fairly powerful and evolves twice. While Wurmple and Caterpie do mimic real life, its no excuse for making the same thing twice and wasting pokedex space with more cocoons

And CAH, what you might not realize is that every gen has it's starting bird, starly, pidgy, etc.
And every gen has it's crappy start of game bugs, weedle, wurmple, etc.
And then there's the psuedo legends, metagross, garchomp, etc.
Then there's the electric rodents, plusle+minun, pachirirsu, that dumb yellow one that shall not be named...

So, it's not copying so much as following a sort of tradition.

Agreed, it is just a tradition, but i wish they'd differentiate them more. What about G/S/C? It didn't have cocoon bugs, instead it gave us spinarak and ledyba which were at least different. All I'm saying is that some are TOO similar.

Also to everyone, lets not turn this into a "rate BCVM22" thread. He's a cool guy, but all this blatent butt-licking is embarassing.
Meh, flame me if you want.

Last edited:

BCVM22

However ALL weak birds at the beginning are normal/flying, a little variety would be nice e.g. dark/flying like honchcrow or even a new type combination.

Much like how the starters are Water/Fire/Grass (a true type triangle) to introduce new gamers to the ebb and flow of the type system, having a Normal/Flying bird readily available at the outset is a prime way to further that introduction, given that Normal-types are excellent for new trainers due to the fact that they have all-around neutral strength against many types and are only super-weak to a few. Likewise for Flying, as having a Flying-type available at the outset introduces the fact that some types are outright immune to others.

While Wurmple and Caterpie do mimic real life, its no excuse for making the same thing twice and wasting pokedex space with more cocoons.

That you call them a waste does not make them so. Caterpie, Weedle and Wurmple all evolve through their cocoon stages to Pokémon that can be very useful in the early goings of their respective quests.

but i wish they'd differentiate them more. What about G/S/C? It didn't have cocoon bugs, instead it gave us spinarak and ledyba which were at least different. All I'm saying is that some are TOO similar.

What about D/P/Pt, which gave us Kricketot/Kricketune, Burmy's widely split evolution lines and the Combee/Vespiquen line? They differentiate them plenty.

CAH

Calm And Hyper
Much like how the starters are Water/Fire/Grass (a true type triangle) to introduce new gamers to the ebb and flow of the type system, having a Normal/Flying bird readily available at the outset is a prime way to further that introduction, given that Normal-types are excellent for new trainers due to the fact that they have all-around neutral strength against many types and are only super-weak to a few. Likewise for Flying, as having a Flying-type available at the outset introduces the fact that some types are outright immune to others.

Good point about the starters, but at least they have different typing eventually e.g. venusaur = grass/poison, meganium = just grass, Torterra = grass/ground, making them very much different. Also, yes while having a normal type at the beginning may be benificial, it does get old having one every gen thats just too similar to previous ones. At least Bibarel was given the water type too, and thats the kind of thing that they should do to continue to make pokemon different enough from each other. How about having a normal or flying type, that when it evolves, it gets another type, making it different while still allowing the player to experience normal and flying at the beginning. I realise that there will always be normal pokemon and flying pokemon near the beginning, but there are ways of making them different

That you call them a waste does not make them so. Caterpie, Weedle and Wurmple all evolve through their cocoon stages to Pokémon that can be very useful in the early goings of their respective quests.
However, the cocoons themselves are a waste of a pokedex slot. Why waste a slot on silcoon and cascoon, two pokemon which almost look exactly the same. Their only purpose is to bridge the way to the evolved forms, which a single cocoon could have done, we didn't need two. Anyway the point is, worms that turn into cocoons, that turn into winged insects is getting old. Surely its not that hard to introduce some new and more unique bugs (as they proved in gen 4).

What about D/P/Pt, which gave us Kricketot/Kricketune, Burmy's widely split evolution lines and the Combee/Vespiquen line? They differentiate them plenty.
This I agree with. However, I didn't say that all pokemon are too similar to previous ones, just some of them (mainly gen 3 pokemon). I think the pokemon you mentioned are very differentiated and unique.

Comments in bold

Deadly.Braviary

I have a 'mongrel' kind of Pokemon in my fake region which evolves twice but remains normal. Much better than my older idea for two pedigree pokemon.

Also, you could say that technically Arceus is just a bunch of uber Pokemon. But still, I mean, 18 forms, one for each type? It's a freakin' GOD! Still, each type could represent another (UBER) Pokemon (except Bug). See:

Dark - Darkrai
Dragon - meh. Too many to count.
Electric - Raikou+Zapdos+Pikachu
Fire - Moltres+Entei+Ho-oh
Water - Suicune+Kyogre+Palkia+Lugia
etc., etc.

Anyway, I think

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
-.-

Every gen has:
An early bird [Pidgey, Hoothoot, Tailow, Starly]
A normal typed rodent [Rattata, Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof]
The annoying bugs
The dragon/pseudo-legendaries

It's not really copies. There are many species of cats; does that make them copies of each other? They share similarities, like Weedle and Wurmple, but are totally different and not "copies".

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!

If we take Darwins Theory of evolution into context, it says that species that are similar or of the same genus differ and evolve depending on the location of the animal and natural selection. For this example I have Caterpillar A and Caterpillar B. Caterpiller A comes from Mexico and Catepillar B comes from Australia. Both are catepillars, both eat leaves, both turn into cucoons and then into butterfly and both live genrally short lives. However, they ways they have adapted to life is different because they both live in different areas. Caterpillar A is covered in irritating hairs and bright colors to stop being eaten by predators while Caterpiller B eats Poisionus plants to become Posionus itself and is green to camoflauge it in the rest of the leaves.

I believe thats how it works in the Pokeworld too.

kiogrey

RS REMAKES
CAH said:
However, the cocoons themselves are a waste of a pokedex slot. Why waste a slot on silcoon and cascoon, two pokemon which almost look exactly the same. Their only purpose is to bridge the way to the evolved forms, which a single cocoon could have done, we didn't need two.

Wasting Pokedex space does no harm to us.
And it probably doesn't matter if we had both Silcoon and Cascoon than one of both.