• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

You Copycat!

CAH

Calm And Hyper
Which pokemon do you think (in terms of appearance or which animal they're based on, not stats) are copies of pokemon that existed before them.
For example: Starly = copy of Pidgey
Swalot = copy of Muk
Plusle + Minun = copy of Pikachu
Wurmple = copy of Caterpie

You get the idea.

BCVM22

That various Pokémon originate from the same or similar real world creatures does not make them copies of each other.

Incidentally, Gulpin/Swalot and Grimer/Muk do not share a common origin. The latter are sentient piles of polluted sludge. The former are blobfish, a real creature.

Last edited:

rook09

Of science.
pikachu, plusle, minun and parachisu are all copies and feebas and magikarp are quite similar, so I see your point

CAH

Calm And Hyper
That various Pokémon originate from the same or similar real world creatures does not make them copies of each other.

Incidentally, Gulpin/Swalot and Grimer/Muk do not share a common origin. The latter are sentient piles of polluted sludge. The former are blobfish, a real creature.

Fair enough but look carefully enough and you'll see that gen3 has many pokemon which are almost too similar to gen 1, some even being the exact same type or similar location

e.g. Wurmple. bug that turns into a cocoon then a moth/butterfly. Found near the begining of the game. Remind you of Caterpie and Weedle

Zigzagoon, very similar to sentret and rattata in that its another weakish normal type found at the beginning of the game

Tailow, another bird near the begining like hoothoot or spearow

Swalot, I'll admit has its differences to muk, but its still just some generic poison type that they couldn't be bothered to make all that unique

Crawduant/ kingler

Salamence/dragonite

Maybe "copy" is too powerful a word, but there was definately some inspiration from gen1 in making the mentioned pokemon.

Can anyone think of others?

ignite444

Burn baby, burn!
I was thinking of Sandshrew/Sandslash and Phanpy/Donphan. While the latter has more attack and defensive power, both share the fact that they are pure Ground types, with only one evolutionary stage, and have both Attack and Defense as their largest stats (not including HP).

Rhydon, Aggron, and Tyranitar?

Banana_Split

Darkness is Rising
Weedle, Caterpie and Wurmple are almost the same.
Seviper & Arbok are both snake Pokemon
Beautifly & Butterfree
Seel & Spheal

ignite444

Burn baby, burn!
Barboach/Whiscash and Wooper/Quagsire. Both are bulky Water/Ground type. The former an obvious remake.

Electrike/Manectic and Shinx/Luxio/Luxray.

Can't think of any more at the moment.

Aviano

I dropped my balls
Fair enough but look carefully enough and you'll see that gen3 has many pokemon which are almost too similar to gen 1, some even being the exact same type or similar location

e.g. Wurmple. bug that turns into a cocoon then a moth/butterfly. Found near the begining of the game. Remind you of Caterpie and Weedle

Zigzagoon, very similar to sentret and rattata in that its another weakish normal type found at the beginning of the game

Tailow, another bird near the begining like hoothoot or spearow

Swalot, I'll admit has its differences to muk, but its still just some generic poison type that they couldn't be bothered to make all that unique

Crawduant/ kingler

Salamence/dragonite

Maybe "copy" is too powerful a word, but there was definately some inspiration from gen1 in making the mentioned pokemon.

Can anyone think of others?

Hey, every gen has bug and dragon and bird Pokemon! obviously every idea ever is copied of the first gen.

razor fire

feebas and magikarp are quite similar, so I see your point

No. Magikarp is based on a karp. Feebas is based on a bass.

DUDE. Seriously...stop mini-modding on other boards and acting like your a total genious. Honestly nobody likes you.

BTW I agree with the board creator, Nintendo is just lazy and unoriginal so they have to copy the 1st or 2nd Gen's Pokemon in future Gens. It's all for the money....

razor fire

DUDE. Seriously...stop mini-modding on other boards and acting like your a total genious. Honestly nobody likes you.

BTW I agree with the board creator, Nintendo is just lazy and unoriginal so they have to copy the 1st or 2nd Gen's Pokemon in future Gens. It's all for the money....

Am I the only one who sees the irony in here?

This Post contains so much Fail.

they're not unoriginal.

pastel

Viva el Reggaeton!
they needed to repeat some basics, and swalot is sth that eats everything, muk only produces trash.

the bidoof, ratata, sentret, zigzagoon idea is just to have a weak small sized pokemon at the begining that will bother u all game.

also pidgey starly, they needed a flying poke at the beggining of the game.

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.

PEOPLE HU UZ BIG WURDZ AND GRAMMUR SHUD BE PUNISHD HUR HUR.

Anyway, there's almost always a Normal/Flying line, a Normal line, a line with great stats and battling capabilities, three starter lines.. It's traditional.

surfer treecko

Highly Explosive
Considering Hoenn wasn't linked to the past two games, they'd need some new pokemon to fill in for old ones.

Would you really like to face pidgey and rattata at the start of every new game?

IceCold

LolChu

I do. He's like the only one on this board who knows what he is talking about. Plus watching him rip into stupid people can be worth a good laugh sometimes.

On topic, as for the pokemon being copies of each other, you've got a point based on stats but for the creatures they are based off, they've got nothing in common whatsoever.

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Instead of filling up all those gaps with the old Pokemon, the game developers create new Pokemon that would be found in that specific region. Pidgey is found in Kanto, and Starly is found in Sinnoh, even though the two have somewhat of a resemblance in appearance and roles in the game. It's almost like each region has its own 'common bird' and 'annoying extra' Pokemon.

Luminous

Truly Altruistic

I for one, appreciate his intelligence and far understanding of what he's talking about. Unlike you, you poor misguided individual.

Would you be interested to know that Nintendo doesn't make the games?

On the thread Creator's question, I do not believe that Gamefreak is not running out of ideas on creating the games. It's just the common formula for game to have a Bug type, Weak Normal, and a Normal/Flying type available early on.

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I believe they are called the regional bugs, rodents, birds, dragons, etc...Anyhow they are kinda useful in-game, coz they help u to do certain things on some levels;while in the anime department, they add credibility not every area of the world has the same animals...but those who live in that areas do something similar.

Mawile412

Problem

Hey i like him! even though he probably doesnt like me but oh well....

I don't see how phanpy is a copy of sandshrew. Phanpy is much stronger and cuter

golden_charizard

Shiny Hunter
Every gen seems to have at least one early bug (Butterfree, Ariados, Buttyfly, etc) early bird (Pidgeot, Noctown, Staraptor, etc) and pseudo-legendary (Dragonite, Salamence, Metagross, etc). But they all end up having different stats and attacks, so I don't really see anything wrong with those, just as long that GF doesn't remake 100% a pokemon with the stats and attacks as an other one with a different design.