• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

You don't hate Gen IV do you?

elephantdog

ÜberlegenDeLeuteHier
What I like about Gen4 Pokemon is that they gave evolutions to Pokemon people didn't care about before (Sneasel, Murkrow, Aipom, Roselia, Yanma...), amazing Porygon-Z, Gastrodon, Shaymin, and Darkrai (not a fan but I give him props for being the first Dark legendary). But the downsides have to be the Chimchar line being the ugliest starters, creepy Pokemon evolutions: Tangrowth, Glaceon, and Lickilicky, the trio Pokemon not only looking similar but they have the exact same typing, and Kricketune (it's not my least favorite Pokemon but its cry really bothers me).

kinshara

Aero Head
i think the IV gen *is cool except* they keep making evolutions or pre-evolutions for the old pokemon...i dont knw why but its just annoying...:(

Last edited:

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Personally, I loved it.

And people will probably say the same about every generation, no matter how good it is.

Profesco

gone gently
A lot of people dislike the fourth generation because it follows the same conventions as the previous three games (grass/fire/water starters, generic bird and rodent as the first encounterable pokemon, eight Gyms and an Elite Four with an evil Team causing trouble in some way).

I confess it perplexes me why someone would hate a thing for being exactly the same as the thing they claim to love moreso.

Anyway, it's not a great idea to throw around words like "most" and "majority." Have you ever heard of a bell curve? I'm guessing the spread of fans who dislike versus fans who like any particular quality of a new game looks pretty much like a bell curve graph. They're not going to be able to unanimously please everybody, but they're also not going to be able to unanimously disappoint everybody.

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Of course I don't. The fourth generation brought much impoved graphics, a stylis form of battling much easier on the thumbs, and a rather likeable cast of pokemon along with it.

People who dislike the fourth gen are often pretty passionate about earlier generations, and aren't keen on the new style pokemon are being given. The 'mechanized' look is offputting for some, and others prefer the previous pokemon that were more faithful to real animals' form to the stylized look of some pokemon. I personally don't have a major issue with any large amount of them. There are always some that I will love, and some that I will hate, but generally, a new cast of 'mons is always welcome with me.

And I bet a lot of 4th gen haters had a bone to pick with arceus... All the apocalypse predictions about the godly beast being the end of pokemon might have stirred some people against this generation. Now that their dread has been deconfirmed, I see little reason to hold a grudge.

Each gen brings innovations to the pokemon world, and changes, some that will make the game much more pleasant to play than its predecessor, and some that will make its player pull their hair in a conservative rage at the absence of something they precieved as a good thing in the previous game.

Zipideedooda6

Fire Mouse
I really can't determine which generation is my favorite. I like them all, but they have their faults too.
I like 4th gen, the only problem was that Diamond/Pearl had the same recycled plot device from the last three games. In other words, er...What zlxq3000 said.
Other than that, alot of the new introduced pokemon were excellent in my opinion. I don't understand why people say they're uncreative. Lucario looks like something no one would have thought of easily. Even though Probopass is something to complain about, some of the pokemon from 1st gen didn't stand out to good either. Just take a look at pokemon such as Grimer/Muk, Koffing/Wheezing and magnemite/magneton. You'll know what I mean. :p I forgot to mention the new GTS and Wifi options were great too. 4th gen also brought competetive battling into style...Or was that 3rd gen? I know 3rd gen introduced EVing, but I think most people didn't completely figure out competetive battling until 4th gen.

So, I guess the only problem I have with 4th gen games is the plot, but really, other than that, I think it turned out pretty good.

EDIT: I think another problem I forgot to mention is Arceus. The creators went a little to far with that one. .___.

NES

Flip me to the side!
Nah, i love the 4th gen as much as the next guy.

Some fans will always criticize the newer generation, comparing it to the past (how much RBY/GSC were the best days).

I find it futile, the newer gen will always improve over the others, i just love and have good memories about them all. I might as well have bad memories of each gen, things i didn't liked.

But really the 4th isn't the worst, for me there is no "bad" generation.

Snicker

The Grinning One
I'm not a fan of 4th gen, but not because I'm too hung up on the oldies. Dx I was really looking forward to D/P/P, but it disappointed me in many ways.

First - none of the starters appealed to me at ALL. o_0 I mean, I know it's a personal taste thing, but...NONE of them. At ANY of their evolutionary stages. o_0' That's something.

Also, the game itself kinda put me to sleep. _._ I don't know why, but I just couldn't get INTO it like I did with other games.

Still, there was good stuff too. I loved the physical/special split. ^-^

For some older players, the newer generations will never be able to match Gen I, because it has the added nostalgia factor. Even if each generation is equal in terms of quality, we will always hear about how gen I or gen II are so much better.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
You don't hate Gen IV do you?

My personal opinion is no, I liked Gen IV.

surfer treecko

Highly Explosive
I can't say I liked it as much as the other ones, but that's probably due to getting older.

I bet as soon as Gen 5 comes out people will start claiming it sucks, the pokemon are worse, Game Freak are becoming lazy, ect., and Gen 4 will suddenly become the best generation ever.

Flamesword12

I like Gen IV,too bad there's no catchable fire type pokemon (Minus Heatran).

Vux

Veni Vidi Vici
To be honest, I've always loved the fourth gen. It has its own nostalgia factor and sweet memories that I'm very fond of. My mind was blown away by the music, the improved graphics and the general gameplay and excitement of simply continuing further. It's not my favorite generation, but it certainly was a fun one.

AbsolTea

Crumpets!
See, personally, It's not so much the pokemon of gen IV that I don't like (even if they seem a lot more robotic than previous generations), It was the Sinnoh plot that has totally bored me. I can't find it in myself to complete it, where as Hoenn and johto, I can play over and over again and not get bored.

I've been told Sinnoh gets loads better after the elite 4, but the point of the game isn't to complete it to get to the good bit, it's to enjoy the game all the way though

Xx Flare xX

Everyone has different views on it.
For me I've been loving Gen IV alot, It's Gen III that let me down.

It happens with every new thing. One minute it's "teh best thing evah!" and when it's out it's "teh wurst thing evah! old version was best".

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Ilove Gen IV, all I'm missing is HG/SS, which hasnt been released, yet!

Phantom champion Z

Peope say they hate gen 3 and 4 because there were to many waters and not enough fires But honnen had alot of water so it would logicly have more water types a sinnoh had a cooler climate so there were less fire types. kanto and johto even though i loved them they were generic in terms of climate and thus had no specialization
But anyway i have loved every gen and V will be no different

All the first stage starters from GEN IV were ugly in my oppinion whicch to me represented the akward teenager phase basic forms were cute, stage 2 were all awsome i used every starter on my in game team in platinum

See, personally, It's not so much the pokemon of gen IV that I don't like (even if they seem a lot more robotic than previous generations), It was the Sinnoh plot that has totally bored me. I can't find it in myself to complete it, where as Hoenn and johto, I can play over and over again and not get bored.

I've been told Sinnoh gets loads better after the elite 4, but the point of the game isn't to complete it to get to the good bit, it's to enjoy the game all the way though

What part are you talking about

Last edited by a moderator:
kanto and johto even though i loved them they were generic in terms of climate and thus had no specialization

You've been to Kanto and Johto? That's interesting.

Grei

not the color
I truly do not understand why people complain so much about the numerous evolutions that the 4th Gen added.

Wasn't that the really awesome thing in the 2nd Generation? The fact that some Pokemon like Scyther and Pikachu and Slowpoke and Hitmonlee ALL had relevance to the 2nd Gen through new evolutions?

And personally, I really enjoyed that throwback again in Gen IV. Gen III had, what, two ties to any previous generation? Wynaut and Azurill? And those added nothing to Wobbuffet and Marill. I realize Gen III was more of a reboot, but it didn't have that feeling of unity with other Generations because it was so out there.

Gen IV had a large amount of ties to previous Generations due to all of the added evolutions. And frankly, I think those designs are all really awesome. I love Electivire and Gliscor and Togekiss and Lickilicky and Probopass and Porygon-Z and Weavile and Mantyke and Bonsly and Ambipom and Mamoswine and all of them. The unity that Sinnoh had with all of the existing Pokemon was phenomenal.

Sinnoh was also a blast to play through in Diamond and Platinum. The region was huge, there was a LOT to do. I know that my main goals became:

Get my main team to Level 100
Complete my Pokedex
Get as many locations registered in the Global Trade Station as possible
Flesh out the Underground Base

Along with a few smaller goals. Point is, I was able to DO all of those things in Diamond that I wouldn't have been able to do nearly as easily in any of the other games.

Even the plot was more involving than Gen III's. I felt like Generation III's plot was much more passive--you sort of dealt with Team Aqua and Magma at your own pace, which makes no sense. In Gen IV, you had Team Galactic, which was much more ruthless and evil than any previous Crime Team, and you had to climb to the top of Mt. Coronet to stop the universe from being recreated, rather than just prevent a Legendary Pokemon rampage.

After hearing so much good about HGSS, I'm sure that makes this Gen even better. I'd be able to give a better opinion on it if I had already played it, but I haven't yet.

I'm apparently the minority here, but I think the 4th Generation was all-around the best Generation that Pokemon has ever had. Kanto is overdone but is always nostalgic; Johto seemed very weak in GSC; Hoenn felt disconnected from the rest of the world. Sinnoh has unity, originality, many challenges, and a lot to do in a VERY large area.