• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

You don't hate Gen IV do you?

randomspot555

Didn't need evolutions? You do realize that most of the Pokemon you listed used to be in the UU and NU tiers before they got evolutions that are placed in OU.

Fan made tiers aren't really relevant when discussing evolutions and what's "needed." The metagame is about adapting to the game that is presented to us, not deciding what should and should not go into it.

Didn't need evolutions? You do realize that most of the Pokemon you listed used to be in the UU and NU tiers before they got evolutions that are placed in OU.

Those Pokemon are still in UU and NU.

They most likely always will be. Which means adding evolutions doesn't fix the problem. If they just wanted to add some to OU, which is after all fan based, they should have just created new Pokemon, in completely different evolutionary chains.

It would have had the same effect and it would not have added a completely unnecessary evolutions.

Profesco

gone gently
Gen III has a few valid criticisms that I don't think are purely up to subjective reasons.

No real rival. Wally is an interesting character, but he always seems to be lagging behind you. And May/whoever the male is stops batling you early on.

The plot never seems to get fleshed out until Emerald. Compare that with previous 3rd versions, which only add to the plot, rather than making it different.

The massive amount of water, while I get why it's there, gets really annoying.

I guess those aren't too subjective, maybe, but they can be explained/justified/seen in a different light.

In Hoenn, neither "rival" is all that competitive, but you do get to battle two friend trainers throughout the game as opposed to a single friend trainer. And Wally is the only rival so far who isn't constantly one step ahead of you, even though everything you do would suggest that you're succeeding where your rival fails. It's the only generation where you're not lagging behind some trainer you keep wiping the floor with. Imo, that was refreshing and a bit more realistic.

If Ruby/Sapphire's plot being reformed in Emerald is a point of criticism, the same does rather apply to Diamond and Pearl. And even if the original plots seemed unsatisfying until they were upgraded in the third iteration, you still get the happy boost of having a fresh, more-interesting plot to surprise you when you play those third iterations. I find it more pleasant than not.

The water. Well, yes, there was a lot. Presumably because Hoenn was depicted as the most tropical of the regions so far. But not liking water routes is rather subjective, after all. For instance, the sort of routes I can't stand are deep cave routes, which Hoenn was rather light on compared to the other regions. Besides Victory Road and the underwater Team headquarters (and maybe Shoal Cave, though that's optional), Hoenn's caves are fairly miniscule and straightforward. I didn't really mind surfing around, especially since it made room for more little discoveries, when you factor in Dive's existence.

It would have had the same effect and it would not have added a completely unnecessary evolutions.

It's bad form to call them unnecessary just because you don't like them. I happen to enjoy Weavile very much, and I like knowing that now, if I want to train a Sneasel, there's actually a competitive future for it in one of my teams. Before Gen 4, training a Sneasel would have been fun, but short-term and somewhat unfulfilling. So I'd call Weavile very necessary indeed.

If you want to be technical, no evolutions are necessary. Every Pokemon could simply have been made to be a standalone individual. And anyway, we don't get to decide what's necessary and what isn't. We get to decide what we'll do, for ourselves, in our own games, how we want, based on what we like. Nobody makes you necessarily have to have that Weavile.

It's bad form to call them unnecessary just because you don't like them.
I happen to enjoy Weavile very much, and I like knowing that now, if I want to train a Sneasel, there's actually a competitive future for it in one of my teams. Before Gen 4, training a Sneasel would have been fun, but short-term and somewhat unfulfilling. So I'd call Weavile very necessary indeed.

If you want to be technical, no evolutions are necessary. Every Pokemon could simply have been made to be a standalone individual. And anyway, we don't get to decide what's necessary and what isn't. We get to decide what we'll do, for ourselves, in our own games, how we want, based on what we like. Nobody makes you necessarily have to have that Weavile.

I do like them. But that doesn't mean they should be there. And sneasel still has no place in an OU competitive team, its evolution does.

I am not against adding evolutions, but I am against having NEXT TO ZERO STAND ALONE POKEMON, with the exception of Legends.

Let the stand alones, stand alone.

randomspot555

In Hoenn, neither "rival" is all that competitive, but you do get to battle two friend trainers throughout the game as opposed to a single friend trainer. And Wally is the only rival so far who isn't constantly one step ahead of you, even though everything you do would suggest that you're succeeding where your rival fails. It's the only generation where you're not lagging behind some trainer you keep wiping the floor with. Imo, that was refreshing and a bit more realistic.

While I see your point, I just never really found them challenging, at all. In FR, I had to level up my Pokemon more than once before an encounter with Blue just to face him. I never had to do that in Emerald.

I disagree about R/S plot in comparison to D/P. D/Ps plot wasn't fleshed out by MUCH, but I think just enough for it to stand on it's own.

The only reason I hate caves is the flash HM. But that was solved in gen 4, and hopefully (please) we'll never ever go back.

I do like them. But that doesn't mean they should be there.

It's not our place as fans to decide what "should" and "should not" be there.

And sneasel still has no place in an OU competitive team, its evolution does.

That was his point. That if it wasn't for Sneasel getting an evolution, it would NEVER have a shot in the OU enviornment.

I am not against adding evolutions, but I am against having NEXT TO ZERO STAND ALONE POKEMON, with the exception of Legends.

Let the stand alones, stand alone.

Considering every Pokemon gen has added evolutions I don't see why Sinnoh gets panned for it and none of the other gens even get it mentioned. A good chunk of Johto era Pokemon are new evolutions or pre-evolves/baby.

While I see your point, I just never really found them challenging, at all. In FR, I had to level up my Pokemon more than once before an encounter with Blue just to face him. I never had to do that in Emerald.

I disagree about R/S plot in comparison to D/P. D/Ps plot wasn't fleshed out by MUCH, but I think just enough for it to stand on it's own.

The only reason I hate caves is the flash HM. But that was solved in gen 4, and hopefully (please) we'll never ever go back.

It's not our place as fans to decide what "should" and "should not" be there.

Never said it was. I am stating my opinion. Don't like it, don't argue.

That was his point. That if it wasn't for Sneasel getting an evolution, it would NEVER have a shot in the OU enviornment.

No, Sneasel does not. Its evolution does. Ergo, Sneasel, (Apparently this is hard for you to understand) S-N-E-A-S-E-L, still does not..

Considering every Pokemon gen has added evolutions I don't see why Sinnoh gets panned for it and none of the other gens even get it mentioned. A good chunk of Johto era Pokemon are new evolutions or pre-evolves/baby.

But they never rendered stand alones nearly extinct, now did they?

Im out of this thread, If you don't understand what I am saying the first three times, then you never will. Plus, engaging opposed opinions is about as pointless as Christianity vs Atheism.

Peace!

Last edited:

randomspot555

Im out of this thread, If you don't understand what I am saying the first three times, then you never will. Plus, engaging opposed opinions is about as pointless as Christianity vs Atheism.

Peace!

You didn't read Profesco's post. He said thered' be no point in training Sneasel for standard competitive play because it wouldn't stand a chance. But in Gen 4, he can train a Sneasel and evolve it for the Sneasel line to be viable in OU.

marto_motoko

Steel Trainer
My opinion remains very separate from generation to generation - each generation has the strong, and the weak.

I always found the first original pokemon games to be kind of a drag to be honest, and played theme merely for the wonderful pokemon designs such as Gyarados (which I oddly don't like that much now. :p), Mew, Mewtwo, Kangaskhan, Nidoking, yada yada.

I loved Johto for the overall story, which made me WISH I could be a Team Rocket member, since I adored them at that point, and that's when I saw them develop this very dark team of pokemon like Murkrow, Houndoom, etc. The areas were neat, and Crystal had taken over my life for a very extended period of time. It just felt fun. I really only disliked the fact that the pokemon in it were hard to raise to higher levels due to things being too low-leveled.

I found Hoenn to be even more fun, and while I was devastated that I couldn't get my original Pokemon from my Crystal game, I was entranced at the rich atmosphere, and the extremely frantic island. I could see how that could turn people off, but there was NO boring part about it. Not to mention that I felt this was the most challenging of the games yet. I didn't like the fact that it was absolutely mandatory to surf as much as I had to, which was indeed quite a bit, and the two evil teams were rather eh.... but I liked the overall outcome and self-awareness of both Archie and Maxxie. I felt the pokemon designs were the best of any generation. The battle frontier was also brilliant in Emerald.

The fourth generation, combat wise, was the smoothest. The split between the two factions of physical and special opened new windows of opportunity to many pokemon that previously were hampered by their own type, and now things like Absol, Gengar, Azumarill, Sharpedo and many others, were permitted to fight more freely. Many moves were added that made previously underlooked pokemon worthwhile (Ninetales).
However, to me, as a total, the island had rather ugly colors, and the characters were rather dislikable. I thought that Professor Roan was very intimidating, and nowhere near as approachable as the previous, the Rival was lacking any sense of personality, and felt like Pikachu incarnate in a human - all laugh, all cheekyness, and no substance unlike the yellow favourite rodent of ours. Things didn't feel like they flowed as freely, and often felt more linear than before, and a ton of the new additions made no sense to me, such as the underground (it's ugly, and rather unappealing compared to the secret bases from before. Could have made it cooler looking). The music didn't click with me like it did in Johto and Hoenn, and while I must admit I enjoy the entirety of the story more than ANY other pokemon game (sans colliseum I loved that tale), there simply wasn't as big of a draw for me. I dislike many of the new pokemon, not even compared to the old, but on their own right. I like many of the legendaries, but think there were too many of them, and others simply looked too bright, even surpassing the Johto pokemon. They looked more cartoonish than the previous, and while every generation has had very bright, vibrant pokemon, this one had them in excess. I also felt that once I beat the elite four, things felt very scattered, and incomprehensive. I didn't know what was going on, and things didn't make a ton of sense.

In total, I really do enjoy the fourth generation for some of its addition in pokemon, but mainly I think it shines with its story, the battle mechanics it brought, but I feel that much like the second generation, the focus was on improving past gripes, rather than bringing something new to the table in terms of pokemon. I just think Johto did the pokemon aspect better, while Sinnoh brought the mechanics improvement better. I still say Kanto and Hoenn shine in originality though, whether it was good or bad, it's hard not to admit that those two were very original and unique.

Mikeh

Veteran Trainer
Its because the people who post here are probably out of the age group that nintendo is aiming for with their games the older pokemon players you'll find on here want that nostalgia of johto and kanto

lansbury9

Why are people dissing the DS equivalent to generation 1 just because it came after Hoenn? See, they even released Fire Red/Leaf Green to get us ready for it, especially since the Nintendo DS was out the same time. I mean, people thought that HG/SS would be out before Platinum, but no, it wasn't. If any of you want a sequel to gen 4, there's a game coming out soon to better Pokémon's "ocarina of Time", in this case, Gold and Silver, to help you appreciate more how gen 4 really was the best Pokémon game (surely better than an 8-bit game from 10 years ago) before generation 5 arrived. Also, many ideas put into Gold and Silver during development in '94 (two words: space world) have been included in gen 4. Besides, we all know now that we know the pattern for generations. Game Freak often use previous plots, you see, and Lucas in generation 4 is very similar to Red off generation 1. But because DS's are more powerful than a Game Boy in terms of memory, new things are added. Satoru Iwata announced that generation 5 will be brilliant, btw.

Master_of_grass

War Never Changes
Although Johto will forever be my chosen land, Sinnoh offered something different. wider range of moves, the move split was revolutionary in the way we battle. the SNOW o the glorious snow even though it took forever to get through it was still a nice addition, i mean how many times have they gone through the snow on anime but in the games there was none.

binarypirate they where talking about how a pokemon who use to be in UU/Nu eg sneasle, gligar ect they now have the potential to be OU through evolution neither randomspot or profesco said anything about their original form being able to break through to OU. so maybe you should read things properly before cracking the shits because you have not been right in a conversation. especially with member who have been here longer than you have and serebii staff

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
I don't really dislike 4th gen. It had a huge map and great new Pokemon. Yeah, some of the evolutions to old Pokemon looked kind of dopey, but I don't use them, so it's okay.

3rd gen was probably my least favorite, although I still enjoyed it. Even though it added new mechanics such as double battles and not having to return to your box every time it got full, among other things, it was just so unmemorable. A lot of the Pokemon seemed to be older Pokemon with different designs, the rival(s) stank, and the criminal organization was much more boring than Team Rocket or Galaxy.

Again, I still enjoyed the game despite its flaws, but it isn't as good as 4th gen.

Mikeh

Veteran Trainer
Although Johto will forever be my chosen land, Sinnoh offered something different. wider range of moves, the move split was revolutionary in the way we battle. the SNOW o the glorious snow even though it took forever to get through it was still a nice addition, i mean how many times have they gone through the snow on anime but in the games there was none.

binarypirate they where talking about how a pokemon who use to be in UU/Nu eg sneasle, gligar ect they now have the potential to be OU through evolution neither randomspot or profesco said anything about their original form being able to break through to OU. so maybe you should read things properly before cracking the shits because you have not been right in a conversation. especially with member who have been here longer than you have and serebii staff

Some people don't understand logic and just wanna jump into an arguement the don't understand Personally I LOVE The new Evos I loved gligar and sneasel and aipom in the past and now their evolutions make them usable in online play not to mention they look badass

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
Personally, I love all four of them, especially Gen IV. GO DARKRAI, LUCARIO AND GIRATINA!! WHOOHOO!!

Sorry about that... ^^; Those are my three faves from Gen IV.

I'm a little disturbed by Rhyperior, though... It doesn't look right.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
The 4th generation is the best until now, without any doubt.

I loved also Hoenn and Johto but Sinnoh is my favorite from all the generations.

chiper12

Artsy Smeargle
Every gen has their ups and downs:

1st gen:
pros - Memorable Pokemon, Addicting gameplay
cons - Broken gameplay, Psychic types dominate the metagame, very little changes in evolutions

2nd gen:
pros - Breeding, Held Items, more memorable Pokemon, New Types, Day/Night
cons - low leveled Pokemon, 100 new Pokemon is such a low number, and no rewards for beating Red

3rd gen:
pros - New number Pokemon almost outnumbering Kanto's, double battles, contests, natures, abillities, EVs, Battle Frontier
cons: Too many water pokemon

4th gen:
pros - New awesome-looking Pokemon, new evolutions that made some Pokemon useful again, Physical/Special split, Pokeradar made EV training easier
cons - Too few fire types, Physical/Special split also nerfed some Pokemon (ex: Alakazam)
Very true. All the generations are very fun. It gives the sense that you never know what kind of pokemon that next trainer will have. I love it. Though there are too many legedaries in my opinion.

HoennMaster

I've loved all the generations, but Generation IV has been a great improvement over Generation III in my book. Looking back, Generation III was kind of a disappointment. Still love it at the same time though.

Last edited:

randomspot555

Dattebyo, the physical/special split is something against the 4th gen?

Tell me, how much sense did it really make for Pokemon with tiny arms like Gengar and Alakazam to be able to use strong elemental punces effectively?

I think the split was for the best. Sure, it took some getting used to but I think it makes a lot more logical sense that Snorlax's Fire Punch is stronger than Alakazam's Fire Punch.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I love every generation since the franchise began so no I don't hate Gen IV. I think the Pokemon designs were likable and I liked that Contests got an upgrade in this generation and that they added Wi-Fi capabilities. I loved that GSC got remakes in Gen IV too, and that they added neat facilities like the Battle Frontier and the Pokethlon. It's been a fun ride the whole time.