• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

You don't hate Gen IV do you?

OriginalPokeMasta

Original 151 Caught
gen 4 is easily the best, because they came out latest and therefore have the best technology, if we're going by regions, well let's see how HG/SS hold up to DPPt shall we?

So because a game is newer and has the most up-to-date technology makes it better? Thats like saying COD5 is better than COD4.... :/

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
Anything after Generation II blows. For one there are way too many pokemon. For two Pokemon was better when the buildings and graphics in general were basic. Yes, square buildings are better than stupid 3D ones. I cant even extinguish the buildings in the newer games. I was excited when I heard there was gonna be a Gold/Silver remake but when I saw 3D buildings and noticed they are adding more pokemon than in the originals I was saddened.

So I assume you dont play the gen III or gen IV.

Blueysicle

Master Procratinator
So because a game is newer and has the most up-to-date technology makes it better?

It doesn't make it worse either.

Seriously. Not liking the games because the buildings look 3-D is the stupidest thing I've heard since all the whining over the grass in HG/SS.

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
I don't hate gen IV, but it's my least favorite of the four.
it's just lame! Lame pokemon, lame storyline, lame villains, bleh!
I do like the move animations though.

Duney

I'm an adult gamer and my first pokemon game was Diamond. I loved that game so much for so long. I went back and learned about Gen I and II and I played the Gen III games but from my perspective, Gen IV is the best. I like the pokemon designs (shinx and dialga are favorites), the depth and the amount of content in these games.

The Gen IV presentation is also the best. I know that a lot of people say graphics don't matter, and sometimes I agree with that being a fan of the old school style Mega Man games as well, but the graphics in DPP are quite nice and finally suceeded in drawing me in to the world of pokemon.

Josiah

is your favorite
I don't hate gen 4. I hate D/P. Here's a sliding scale of my likes.

Platinum
Crystal
FRLG
Emerald
GS
RS
RBY
DP

I hated DP with a passion. I love Platinum. Probably mostly because of the 150 Pokemon dex moving up to 210. I do think I'll probably end up liking HGSS more than Platinum, even though I was really hoping for a new Johto dex with all the new evolutions and some Kanto Pokemon cut out.

Draken

I think the Gen IV is the best.

I would say:
Gen IV
Gen II
Gen I
Gen III

DragonAce2

Dragon Trainer
As with every pokemon generation there are good & bad pokemon. Gen IV lives up to this reputation with:

The Good: Electivire, Porygon Z, Magmortar, Giratina, Gallade, Garchomp & of course Leafeon & Glaceon

The Bad: Rhyperior I H8 it!!! Rhydon is still better & Bibbarell. I mean WTF??? an overweight beaver.

As far as it being the best/worst yet, then No, Gen II's the worst & Gen I/III are tied for the best. Gen IV fits nicely in between

I liked it at first. A lot.

But as time goes on, I begin to dislike it more and more.

1. The male sprite. Nuff ' said.

2. Lack of GOOD Pokemon. 80% of wild pokemon before the National dex are trash.

3. The "Great Marsh". Easy transportation, horrible setting.

4. Corrupted GTS. No way to filter hacks, everyone asks for a Mew.

5. You cannot ask for a Pokemon over GTS, without having SEEN IT. In other words, with the exception of maybe 20 Pokemon, you can catch/evolve every Pokemon you can ask for. Rendering the GTS almost completely useless.

6. Making personal bases underground. Lame. Lame. Lame. The house from Platinum does not make up for this, because you STILL can't choose what goes inside it. With enough money, everyone has the same stuff in the same place.

7. Adding dancing and dressing to contests. Okay, I may understand the dressing, but the dancing is dumb. Also, they should have fixed the dressing part so things actually looked GOOD, and LOGICAL. And not BAD, and ILLOGICAL.

8. Adding evolutions to Pokemon who do not need them. Rhydon, Magmar, Electabuzz, Pillowswine, Sneasel, etc. The only one that was an improvement(Non-stat wise) was Magmortar, and that is solely because it doesn't have the same *** looking forehead.

What Nintendo doesn't seem to realize is that Evolutions do not mean more pokemon. What it REALLY means is less USEFULL Pokemon.

Adding an evolution just leaves other Pokemon in the dust. If they keep doing it, it will render Generation 1 and 2 Pokemon practically extinct.

BUT, I still don't hate it. It brought twice as many awesome things to the table. Wifi battles/trades(not GTS) being my favorite. And the physical/special spilt was a fantastic decision. It actually makes sense now.

Generations 2, 1, 3, and 4 are Perfect, Great, Cool, and Decent. Respectively.

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now
I like it a lot as well. I don't like some pokemon n the way we need to get them, like Spiritomb, n other cool pokemon that have to go down classes like Milotic.
I don't like some other things too, but overall I think it's a neat game.

BassGS

I loved Gold/Silver/Crystal, and when I heard of HG/SS OH BOY! Gen IV was amazing too, all the wi-fi features just made Pokémon what it is all about, Interaction with people all over the globe, not only trading and battling, but mini games, and poffin making, chatting, and many other things. it's just a lot of fun. The split on physical and special was awesome too. I did hate D/P's E4 the random filler pokémon were just wtf?, but then Platinum came along with amazing things redone and it was just awesome.

MrPostman

Viceroy
8. Adding evolutions to Pokemon who do not need them. Rhydon, Magmar, Electabuzz, Pillowswine, Sneasel, etc. The only one that was an improvement(Non-stat wise) was Magmortar, and that is solely because it doesn't have the same *** looking forehead.

What Nintendo doesn't seem to realize is that Evolutions do not mean more pokemon. What it REALLY means is less USEFULL Pokemon.

Adding an evolution just leaves other Pokemon in the dust. If they keep doing it, it will render Generation 1 and 2 Pokemon practically extinct.

This applies to 2 as well then. Kingdra, Hitmontop, Scizor, Steelix, Slowking, Politoed, Bellossom, Crobat, Porygon2 are all evolutions. Throw in Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Tyrogue, Magby, Smoochum, and Elekid for filler. 2 can't be perfect according to your standards.

rocky505

4th gen had a better Storyline than 3rd gen. better rival. Better evil team. (Magma and Aqua didn't do crap). And a few better looking pokemon. Even a better Elite Four.

randomspot555

So because a game is newer and has the most up-to-date technology makes it better? Thats like saying COD5 is better than COD4.... :/

This isn't call of duty. This is Pokemon, which is 95% the same game each generation while adding a tiny bit more to the same basic concept.

Also, not liking a game because it has 3-d buildings is ridiculous. HOW DARE GAMEFREAK NOT BE STUCK IN 1999 LIKE I AM!!!!

[QUOKTE=binarypirate;11109767]
1. The male sprite. Nuff ' said.[/quote]

What?

Subjective. And I bet if you applied this equally, it'd be the same for other gens too.

There is a small hack-check. But too strong of a legality check would cause legitmate events to be rejected, such as that level 100 Regigias or the level 50 Dragonite.

Everyone asking for a Mew shouldn't be the held as a fault of the game. It's the fault of the player. If you offer Pokemon, you can still make decent trades.

6. Making personal bases underground. Lame. Lame. Lame. The house from Platinum does not make up for this, because you STILL can't choose what goes inside it. With enough money, everyone has the same stuff in the same place.

You do know all this crap you're complaining about is optional and is no way forced on you right? I hate chaining and contests, but I didn't come to SPPF to whine about those and say WORST GAME EVER. I just don't do them.

You must've really hated Gen II then.

Nintendo won't do that because they don't make the games.

OH WAIT it is nostaliga clouding everything. You trash Gen 4 for making new evolutions of previous Pokemon, but LOVE Gen II, which also did the same thing.

But hey, Gen II is The Greatest Generation Ever. So yeah, of course it's above all criticism.

profpeanut

Nah, 3rd Gen attracts my ire more, and even then it bestowed Tropius and Gardevoir on us. I think it has more to do with comparing all the new gens to the first one.

But as time goes on, I begin to dislike it more and more.

1. The male sprite. Nuff ' said.

well tough **** tbh, your the one that choose to play the game

how is this any different than most other games

3. The "Great Marsh". Easy transportation, horrible setting.
its a marsh, can't really ask for anything different

Don't use it then. No one is forcing you to use it.

5. You cannot ask for a Pokemon over GTS, without having SEEN IT. In other words, with the exception of maybe 20 Pokemon, you can catch/evolve every Pokemon you can ask for. Rendering the GTS almost completely useless.

no it isn't. if your playing a english version of the game and you want a japanese pokemon, then it obviously isnt useless

Again is anyone forcing you to do it?

7. Adding dancing and dressing to contests. Okay, I may understand the dressing, but the dancing is dumb. Also, they should have fixed the dressing part so things actually looked GOOD, and LOGICAL. And not BAD, and ILLOGICAL.

Again, no one is forcing you to do the contests or anything that you don't want to do.

don't evolve them then. and what is your basis for them not needing evo's?

what gamefreak does realize is that adding evo's does make more pokemon.

by your own logic, gen 1 already is extinct

BUT, I still don't hate it. It brought twice as many awesome things to the table. Wifi battles/trades(not GTS) being my favorite. And the physical/special spilt was a fantastic decision. It actually makes sense now.

If you don't hate it then why did you make this post ranting about how you basically hate everything gen 4?

Dragon Master Fiona

Dragon Master
Now, I've warmed up to the IV gen. It took me awhile but I like. (I prefer the I & II gens thank you very much but I've come to like all the gens. Except for III, I can't seem to get into R/S/E. They just never appealed to me).

randomspot555

Now, I've warmed up to the IV gen. It took me awhile but I like. (I prefer the I & II gens thank you very much but I've come to like all the gens. Except for III, I can't seem to get into R/S/E. They just never appealed to me).

Gen III has a few valid criticisms that I don't think are purely up to subjective reasons.

No real rival. Wally is an interesting character, but he always seems to be lagging behind you. And May/whoever the male is stops batling you early on.

The plot never seems to get fleshed out until Emerald. Compare that with previous 3rd versions, which only add to the plot, rather than making it different.

The massive amount of water, while I get why it's there, gets really annoying.

With those few criticisms, you get a huge Battle Frontier, a cave full of Smeargles, several Pokemon unlocked post-NAtonal Dex, and so, so much more. Sure, the main game kind of sucks in comparison to others, but it has more to do in the post-game than anything else previously released.

Blueysicle

Master Procratinator
Adding evolutions to Pokemon who do not need them. Rhydon, Magmar, Electabuzz, Pillowswine, Sneasel, etc.

Didn't need evolutions? You do realize that most of the Pokemon you listed used to be in the UU and NU tiers before they got evolutions that are placed in OU.