• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

You want bread? Three dollars!

Frost Nova

The predator awaits.
Seinfeld_s7e6.jpg

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!

*snatches soup away*

Either way, the general format of this team came to me when I was on a bus trip two days ago, and after a lot of brainstorming with Blue Ace the team is finally ready. I haven't made a team in a while so fire away.

The team at a glance:

dpffa031.png
dpmfa297.png
dpmfa134.png
dpmfa212.png
dpmfa330.png
dpmfa230.png

31.png

Nidoqueen@Leftovers**Chapman
Trait: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 88 Spd / 128 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

My lead, and a surprisingly decent Heracross counter. I was considering using either this or Zapdos as my Bug / Fighting resist, but ultimately chose Nidoqueen for the extra Rock aka Stealth Rock resist. 128 SAtk EVs are needed to 2KO standard CBcross, while 88 Spd allows it to outspeed most Breloom, preventing them from stalling Fire Blast's PP. Taunt is fairly straightforward where most leads are concerned, so is Stealth Rock. CBcross barely 3KOs without Guts, hence the lack of Toxic Spikes.

297.png

Hariyama@Leftovers**Gilliam
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 76 HP / 140 Atk / 252 Def / 40 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Force Palm
- Stone Edge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

*Gong sounds*

*Insert inappropriate sumo wrestler joke here*

Enough already. This guy is one of the best counters for Tyranitar and Weavile, and he boosts a couple of nifty resistances from his ability as well. Stone Edge deters both Zapdos and Gyarados from switching in, seeing that the former is a bit of a problem for the team. The EV spread is a slightly modified Smogon EV spread, with a few EVs in SDef to help its general survivability overall.

134.png

Vaporeon@Choice Specs**Palin
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd / 200 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Wish

Ah, Vaporeon. He was my favourite Eeveelution since RBY (aka when I didn't know better) and one of the best bulky waters in 4th gen. Gyarados and Infernape don't really like this little guy: good for me, bad for them. The Choice Specs version is used for this team for increased offensive power, without compromising too much defensive capability. Wish is really just filler, but useful to have around. Toxic was considered during the team building process to handle Suicune.

212.png

Scizor@Leftovers**Cleese
Trait: Technician
EVs: 176 HP / 100 Atk / 56 Spd / 176 SDef
Adamant Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Light Screen

Who says that offensive oriented pokemon always have to stay that way? That is SO 3rd gen thinking, get over it already.

Plenty of nifty resistances to work with, along with decent defenses and access to Light Screen, I've been itching to use this set in a team for a long time. Bullet Punch is now a 80 base power priority move with STAB and Technician, so it negates Scizor's less than average speed. U-Turn prevents it from being eaten alive by Magnezone, and helps it deal with Starmie: 100 Atk EVs allow it to OHKO bulky Starmie with U-Turn.

330.png

Flygon@Life Orb**Idle
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spd / 28 SAtk
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost

This is basically Mixmence / Chain Chomp thrown together, only with slightly less raw power. Draco Meteor OHKOs min HP Salamence / Dragonite even without SAtk EVs, while Fire Blast is an easy 2KO with LO on Skarmory. 80 HP EVs allow it to hit 321 max HP, which allows it to survive 10 LO recoils with 1 HP remaining. 148 Spd EVs with a +Spd nature allows it to outrun max Spd neutral natured base 100s aka hit 300 max Spd.

230.png

Kingdra@Scope Lens**Jones
Trait: Sniper
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Satk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Yawn

This thing is an absolute beast. With Platinum's upgrades it's so broken it's not even funny. The EVs here are based on the Rain Dance set, as I'm relying on Yawn to buy me an extra DD. 2 Dragon Dances are equivalent to the Spd boost from Swift Swim under Rain, and the extra offensive power is always welcome. I chose to maximise HP here to help Kingdra survive more hits in general, as it does have pretty decent defenses. And it makes it even harder to take down by counters, if it has any at all.

Well, here's my team. I've already found 4 pokemon I'm potentially weak to, so do your jobs and find out some more.

Many thanks to Blue Ace for helping me out of this team together.

Last edited:

newbioform

Blazing Passion
This team is quite badly skymin and DDmence weak. Maybe replace Nidoqueen with Zapdos? Lack of scarfer can also be quite bad as you have no skymin and mence revenge killer. I can't really think of any solution though without changing a good part of your team.

UltimoVenusaur

DracoFist FTW
Skymin's 00ber, or it'll probably become 00ber at some point.

Anyway, only one minor correction. BP has a base power of 90 with STAB and Technician, not 80 :) Good team, and very refreshing not to see the same old critters.

Deboog

Seribii Staff...rly!
Why are you using nidoqueen in OU? Replace it with zapados. And Siczor can be as cheep as Kingra If you give it swords dance over light screen. If you want a screener, give light screen to Vaporeon over hp electric.

_Calm|Mind_

Follow the Path
Aren't the 56 Speed EV's for Shedinja? Unless I'm missing something, you could just put those into another stat.
Why are you using nidoqueen in OU? Replace it with zapados.
Nidoqueen, unlike Zapdos, isn't SR weak and it is immune to both Toxic and Thunder Wave. Nidoqueen is still viable in OU, especially with Garchomp gone.
If you want a screener, give light screen to Vaporeon over hp electric.
Getting walled by Gyarados is awesome!

embargo

through the loop.
Why are you using nidoqueen in OU? Replace it with zapados. And Siczor can be as cheep as Kingra If you give it swords dance over light screen. If you want a screener, give light screen to Vaporeon over hp electric.

It's nice to see people taking the time to read the original post in-depth!

You will have to play very carefully around Mixmence; fortunately a first turn Stealth Rock and a well-placed Light Screen remedies this to an extent.

And perhaps Lucario - I can't do any calcs right now, but a physical variant with Close Combat / Ice Punch seems like it could be potentially rather harmful with Scizor unable to significantly damage it.

Oh, and I think you meant to say "Vaporeon @ Choice Specs", judging from the description you gave from it? :S

I think your team is actually pretty good :)
Glad to hear your thinking outside the box
Your actually the only person i know to use a hariyama.
and thats cool.

Frost Nova

The predator awaits.
Glad people found out one of the threats.

Salamence can be a pain, but it can't switch into four out of six pokemon of the team, especially with SR down. In other words it needs some ballsy prediction to switch in.

This is for people who didn't read the description: Nidoqueen is there to absorb Toxic Spikes, and her resistance to SR means I don't have to use a Spinner. Zapdos gets 2KOed by CB Stone Edge and is incapable of OHKOing with Heat Wave (Drill Peck can OHKO it though) and is weak to SR. Nidoqueen is resistant to all three of Heracross's primary attacks. There's a reason why I typed that all up.

And yes, I've forgotten what those Spd EVs on Scizor were for, it hits 180 max Spd with it though. Anyone remember what they're used for? Otherwise it'll probably go into one of the defenses.

embargo said:
And perhaps Lucario - I can't do any calcs right now, but a physical variant with Close Combat / Ice Punch seems like it could be potentially rather harmful with Scizor unable to significantly damage it.

Hariyama could probably deal with it to a certain extent, and with prediction probably Nidoqueen.

Ultimo Venusaur said:
Skymin's 00ber, or it'll probably become 00ber at some point.

I see a contradiction in the midst.

There are a couple more obvious threats to the team. I'm surprised nobody's found them out yet.

Last edited:

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
I think the only relevant speed point would be for outspeeding standard Magnezone, I suppose...the rest should probably go into S.Def

I wish I got 7 replies ;__;

Reno

so adorable...
if a tricker gets black sludge, it can then trick black sludge to a more important pokemon, crippling it.

azelf really likes this team.

psychic/flamethrower/ice move pretty much ends you, unless you can revenge it.

Rad3n

Banned
Like every team in the world; Electivire could give you a little trouble. As might Jynx.

Frost Nova

The predator awaits.
^ Electivire has a hard time coming in with Earth Power and EQ: the only two pokemon that it could reasonably come in safely are Scizor and Vaporeon using HP [Electric], and Scizor can switch out using U-Turn. So that just leaves Vappy.

Blue Ace said:
I think the only relevant speed point would be for outspeeding standard Magnezone, I suppose...the rest should probably go into S.Def

That's probably it, thanks.

Blue Ace said:
I wish I got 7 replies ;__;

I posted in your thread, does that make you feel better?

And yes Reno, this team is very Azelf weak. Though I really don't know what to do with it without altering a significant portion of the team. Kingdra can switch into its secondary moves though, I just hope the bulkiness would suffice.

@Reno: should I change my current Kingdra EV spread to outspeed Gengar, while keeping the HP EVs unchanged?

Last edited:

Frost Nova

The predator awaits.
BUMP.

I need a couple more rates other than me talking to myself.

UltimoVenusaur

DracoFist FTW
After looking at it some more...

Why Force Palm over Close Combat on Hariyama? I'm guessing it's either to help with Hariyama's speed problem or because a ResTalker doesn't like the defensive drop.

NOW... go rate my Victreebel in the single rate thread! :)

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
48 Spd EVs on Scizor accomplish said task of outspeeding Magnezone, the extra EVs can go into S.Def for what it's worth as Magnezone do no tend to play the speed game really...

Also some info from using Hariyama myself, it makes a decent Electivire counter, most notably of the mixed variety, however it cannot handle Lucario if it has an SD prior to it's switching in.

Force Palm is used over Close Combat as it still OHKOs Tar with the correct EV investment, and it also has the paralysis chance and lack of defence dropping. Plus a nice amount of PP.

Bizziler

Right, biggest weakness here really is Shaymin. Scizor can sort-of come in, but is doing insufficient damage in return and isn't really particularly reliable as Air Slashes will sting if you come in on a Life Orb Seed Flare. Another problem is Jolly Ice Punch SDLuke (As Jolly puts it ahead of Flygon) who sets up on your Scizor with ease and will then pillage your entire team. Not fun :( Nasty Plot Azelf can be a pain too, coming in on Hariyama or Nidoqueen and eating your team alive.

Actually, I would also be worried about CB/DD Salamence. Even a Jolly CB Outrage will 2HKO your Scizor 100% of the time with Stealth Rock up, and a DD Outrage will sting too, whilst your Bullet Punches do relatively little in return. It also outspeeds your entire team. It comes in for free on Nidoqueen, and can set up on Scizor very easily if it has Roost. You don't really have a safe switch into a Draco Meteor either, though I'll admit I haven't checked how much it does to Scizor but I'd imagine it would still sting against 80 base SpD.

As much as I hate to standardise your team, I would really consider replacing your Kingdra with a Timid Scarf Heatran. Whilst Kingdra offers next to nothing in terms of resistances, Heatran gives you another safe switch into opposing Heatran, as well as Outrages, Choice variants of Shaymin, a much more reliable solution to the omnipresent Scizor, counters Nasty Plot Azelf very nicely, and due to Extremespeed/Bullet Punch resistance will stop Swords Dance Lucario from ever sweeping you.

Finally, I would probably just run a standard support Vaporeon; with Specs, you will rarely be able to heal Vaporeon itself, and you're dependant on it to wall quite a lot. More reliable Wish support would help Nidoqueen/Heatran no end.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: I would bump Flygon up to 308 speed to beat Lucario; you're rarely going get ten turns of Life Orb recoil without either taking a hit or taking SR damage anyway.

Last edited: