• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Anime/Manga of the Year 2019?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
It could be a series that has yet to be finished, a OVA, a manga no one's heard of or heck, something that got released years ago but only now you've started reading or watching it and please, go into detail, pitch it to people why it's so good.

vUHlpA5c1NXkds59reY3HMb4Abs.jpg

For starters, my anime of the year would have to be Vinland Saga, an anime adaptation of the historical manga of the same name by Makoto Yukimura and honestly, I don't think anyone's words can quite capture just how amazing this anime is because there is just so much going on in the far ends of the northern world. This anime introduces a world of ever-changing seasons whose lands, rivers, mountains and oceans are as beautiful as it is dark and brutal. You'll see body parts flying in the air, villages being pillaged, tortured and raped, central characters killing those who you may believe deserve to die but also those who are innocent reminding you that this isn't to show the romanticization of war, it's to show the cruelties of war and how it changes people, putting their motivations and goals on the line, that there is no line too big to cross, that the harder part for some is refraining themselves from crossing the line because it's too easy.

I think the saddest part of it all is how this changes the main character Thorfinn. We see a father trying his hardest to teach his son the values of peace, that violence, war and murder are not the way to solve issues. We see a happy young lad that his father tried so hard to teach him turn into this bitter vengeful young man who seeks the death of his father's killer by duel. We see this bitter vengeful young man being hurled in the hurricane of battle, often reminded that what he's doing is not what his father wanted but refuses to listen because he's come too far to give up. I think what's interesting is that we can actually see this being explained in the opening song of a Thorfinn questioning his choices but he's come too far to give up and then we see the ending song of a Thors who just wants him to give up on revenge and live a peaceful life, a nice contrast that addresses Thorfinn's overall story.

So yeah. Vinland Saga is pretty amazing, did I convinced you guys to check it out?

Anime viewer: No.

It's animated by the guys who did Attack on Titan.

Anime viewer: I'm throwing my money at the screen! Nothing's happening!

So yeah. Vinland Saga is my anime of the year 2019. Maybe manga too, checking it out but I've shared my thoughts. What about you guys. What's your anime or manga of the year 2019?

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
My anime of the year is Definitely Vinland Saga too.

My manga of year is Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru. It's a new scifi shounen Manga that startes this year. It's written by Kishimoto, Naruto's creator. It's a really good and underrated manga.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Sailor Stars in English! I enjoyed watching the VIZ English dub of this series and I think that most of the voices were pretty well and the script writing was great as well. This is probably my favorite season of the original Sailor Moon series overall as it has the best character interactions, fillers, and storyline imo.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I haven't watched any particularly noteworthy new anime this year, but as for 2019 manga, I will admit to finding Samurai 8 really good. It's exceeded my initial expectations considering who's writing it, but I think it's one of the best new manga series of the year.

shoz999

My anime of the year is Definitely Vinland Saga too.

My manga of year is Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru. It's a new scifi shounen Manga that startes this year. It's written by Kishimoto, Naruto's creator. It's a really good and underrated manga.
Oh yeah. I heard about this manga announced years ago, sometime shortly after Naruto ended which caused quite a shock for the anime/manga community. So it finally came out. Interesting fact, the creator of Naruto isn't working on the Boruto manga, completely different author is writing it. Heard the manga is leagues better than the anime but Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru is the project that the Naruto creator is working on now. His action scenes are always exciting, even though they do take up many pages lol.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Top 5 anime of 2019:

1) Attack On Titan Season 3 Part 2

99663l.jpg

2) Demon Slayer: Kimetsu No Yaiba

3326594502_1_3_LXypeANH.jpg

3) Dr Stone

20190806131302_47bdbd93fc48405f4d721f73ac640ae9_1.jpeg

4) Mob Psycho 100 II

96303l.jpg

5) Vinland Saga

common

Honourable mention:

The Promised Neverland

ob_507da3_ob-eeb19b-a879579a5c9ddf134e7bc8428b01.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Hero Academia Season 4
has been so far so good, and will enter my Top 5 anime of 2019 for sure if it manages to maintain its quality and live up to the hype. Overall, 2019 has really been a golden year in anime, giving us so many magnificent anime to watch, setting the bar really high for the following years to top it. All 6 of the anime I mentioned here have made it to my overall Top 20 anime of all time, so it's hard to describe how much joy 2019 has given me as an anime fan. :)

Last edited:

shoz999

I don't usually say this but thank you Wit Studio for ending the decade with such an epic finale and the story ain't even finished. That was literally just the beginning.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I don't read manga anymore so I don't have a favorite 2019 manga series, but my favorite anime of this year is Fire Force. I thought it would suck when I first heard about it because I don't like the creator's other works but man it's lit so far.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
I also got a little bit of Sasuke vibes from the main character Thorfinn,he started off as a happy child in the beginning of the show then once his Dad was killed he wanted vengeance on the man who killed him.As you watch the show you'll see his personality change.