• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSilentBang

Im An OxyMoron!
Hey there guys! Just a simple thing, I want you to choose a region for my fanfic to be set in! It will help a lot, thanks!

Choices:
Kanto
Johto
Hoenn
Sinnoh
Unova
Make up region?

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
The thing is, it's difficult to pick because we don't know what your story will be like. A story that heavily involves Legendaries, for instance, may be better off being set in Unova or Johto because their myths are well known and taken seriously, rather than Kanto where you don't hear about Legendaries that often.

The environments will also be very different in each region as well. Kanto and Johto are quite foresty and have a lot of plains, Hoenn is tropical, Sinnoh is cold and mountainous and Unova is urbanised. The types of Pokemon available also differ - if you want Water types, Hoenn might be a good place, while Poison and Bug types are common in Kanto. The starters also differ depending on region, so if you want a particular region's starters you might want to go with that. Think about gym leaders, professors and other characters as well, that might interest you or help with the plot.

Basically, what I'm saying is that in order to get the right region, think about your story ideas and pick a region that has a lot in common with those ideas in the games. If there isn't a region that fits your needs, or you want to make up your own locations and gym leaders, then a fan made region would be your best choice. I know that it doesn't really answer your question, but the thing is, a region is such a huge part of a fanfic (it's essentially your whole setting) that I think it should really be your choice rather than letting other people decide something so important for you, as it limits you to other people's decisions rather than what you feel is best.

Psychic

Really and truly
There is really nobody who can choose this but you. As Chibi_Muffin said, it all depends on what your story is going to be about, what kind of story it's going to be, who/what's going to be in it, and so on, and the only person who knows that stuff about your story is you. Deciding this based on people voting without knowing a lick about your story is completely useless, because they'll probably just vote based on which region is their favourite rather than what region would make for the best setting for your story. Popularity votes are not a good way to decide how to write, and you shouldn't decide on key elements of your story based on people casting votes arbitrarily.

Anyhow, this pretty much falls under the category of "Topics that don't belong in the Café: Requests for submissions for things to include in your story – it’s your job to come up with characters and decide what happens, not ours" in the Authors' Café Rules. My apologies if that was unclear before - I will edit this. Please don't make a thread like this again unless you have more of the story ironed out and really need help deciding what of multiple options would work best for your story.

~Psychic

Status
Not open for further replies.