• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your experiences with pokemon

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
Tell me about your experience with pokemon how you started out how you got to this point etc.

For me i forget how it exactly started i do remember my bother and sister playing sliver and crystal i got into pokemon zelda and dbz from watching them play all sorts of games but my pokemon journey didn't start until one Christmas many years ago 04 i think i had gotten my first gameboy and pokemon fire red. I ended up selling fire red but the gameboy i still own although its in bad condition. I played it day and night i didn't go anywhere without my gameboy and fire red by my side. I picked charmander because he was on the box art ( well charzaird was but meh :p) and i'm pretty sure i had a butter free and a pickachu as well. The rest of my team i have forgotten. I beat the game and never touched it again played all the after game and everything i later caught mewtwo years later when i found where i had mis placed the game.

Anyway my next game was pokemon emerald i had just seen a commercial for it with grudon kyogore and raquza i was aw struck and i knew i wanted it on my 7th birth day i was given pokemon emerald just minutes before i had to leave for school. I loved the game i still have it today. It was also the game me and friend boned over but he out grew pokemon eventually sometime mid gen 4. My first choice was torchic. But i got stuck in slateport and reset i had an entire playthough with mudkip, sampart even won me the fontier battle with ( the one that looks like a snake :p) i reset once more going with treeko because my friend had said treeko was awesome plus the anime was making treeko look so boss that i automatically wanted it. ever since i had played a couple dozen times with treeko recently i made another play though using mudkip again and encountered pokerus for the first time and with a broken internal battery it lasts forever :p and i had a chance to try out breloom i am loving this grass fighting type.

Anyway i later had found out about gen 4 on the internet at school i automatically wanted turtwig, i got pokemon pearl and of course i picked turtwig i don't remember much of this playthough. Later i got the original gold version and played that for awhile i picked cyndauil. Soon platinum had come out and girtantia's new form was awesome so i got the game picking turtwig once again. But when i my friend out grew pokemon i choose to abandon it as well thinking i was to old for pokemon ( must have been 5th/6th grade) and sold everything except for platinum and emerald but my dog chewed up platinum O_O so i was stuck with just emerald and gold, in one final playthough i managed to beat battle brain of the prymaid and snake thing then retired the game to a case in my game collection area, specptile was the first pokemon i had ever raised to lvl 100 and to this date the only own of 2 the other being rauquza.

Years later after having abandoned the games, the anime and my childhood ( along with many other cherished cartons) I had learned about fifth gen being that i wanted to convince myself i was done with pokemon i insulted and hated fifth gen based mostly on garbador and vinalux, Then one day after having watched some pokemon facts from TheJwittz i wanted to learn more about gen 5 so i watched a pokemon black walk though by SuperSkarmary his walkthough brought me back to the games and having watched all of black 1 i bought black 2 the following month december 26th 2012 ( how fitting around the same date i got my first pokemon game years beforehand) and fell in love with the games once more i got oshawott female ( my first female starter) whom i named katara ( first time nick naming went with an avatar theme)

Soon 6th gen was announced ( barely a week after i bought the dang game xD) and being still on the rebound from hating pokemon didn't like it but a different friend ( ten years older then me) changed my mind and along the line gave me this site with this site i gained alot of new knowledge on pokemon and stopped hating as much infact from this site i grew in love with pokemon even more and became less of a genfourer ( like a genwunner except i liked everything before gen 5 xD) I then soon bought heart gold and enjoyed playing that picked the same fire style starter i picked in my Gold playthough. Gen 6 i love the looks of it and can't wait it will be the first one i will every pre order.

To this date i still haven't watched the anime since dawns pipulp decided it wasn't gonna evolve. Oh and as of the lucario movie he is my favorite pokemon!

That is my story please share yours :)
edit: sorry for spelling errors :(

Last edited:

ebevan91

We already have a thread like this somewhere and good lord, paragraphs please.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
We already have a thread like this somewhere and good lord, paragraphs please.

didn't know that can you link me please? and sorry about that i will fix it :p

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
In a lot of ways I got into Pokemon completely on accident. When I was around 7 or 8 or so I got Pokemon Sapphire, which I was hooked on, and then a few years later my dad's girlfriend's son bought me Pokemon Pearl for Christmas, and I got back into the games again. Stopped playing for a while, and got back into it with Pokemon White this last Christmas, and most likely won't stop ever again. :)

jollyllp

Have you ever noticed that after every time your Pokemon defeats an enemy Pokemon, your Pokemon earns Experience Points? Better yet, would you like to know "Why?" or "How?"? Experience Points are yet another value that Pokemon have that can make them stronger based on the value, but you can't take them away............

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
I'm not too sure how I started, I think I started by watching the Anime when I was about 7-9. I then remember collecting the trading cards at the same time as well. This got me into it and I started playing the games.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I was looking for a different game to play on my DS (I'd been playing Garfield's Nightmare, Wall-E, and Mario Kart DS), and remembered that I'd bought a used copy of Pokemon Diamond. So I decided to give it a try, and after that I was hooked.

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Oh yeah, and I also collected thousands of Pokemon cards as a kid. I don't have most of the good ones now since I somehow lost them in my closet, and am left with a box of mediocre cards, and I didn't know how to play the TCG, but I was hooked on that for a long time.

xYachu

Spicy Tuna!
It was when I became six I think, my aunt bought me a gameboy color ad I got he game pokémon gold with it. It was my first gane ever and I couldn't even understand English so I didn'y knew what to do. So I ended up asking my nephew for help, bad idea, 'cause he stole me first shiny pokémon which I didn't even knew it was shiny one xD

Altered Ambipom

Ah, the story of how i got into Pokémon. At about 4 years of age I would wake, have breakfast and go watch TV, through luck, I happened to watch the channel that showed Pokémon at the time it was on and through watching it i learned to love it. I started at the time of Advanced Battle and so one of my favourite Pokémon is Flygon. At this point I didn't have a clue that console gaming existed, much less Pokémon games so my knowledge was based upon the anime.

Several years later, when I was about 8 years old, I learned of the Nintendo DS. I wanted it. That year, I also decided I wanted to search "Aipom," I went to the first result and saw that it was stated that he evolved into one known as "Etiboth." I began searching through these knew Pokémon and promptly fell in love with Chimchar and his evolutions. I promptly rusged to tell my friends that there were new Pokémon yet none believed me. On that years Christmas I received such a Nintendo DS Lite and three games, including none other than Pokémon Diamond. This was my first encounter with a Pokémon game. I vividly remember the fact that when i went to save the menu closed (I now realise that this is as I was used the Xbox controls, in which A was in the same position as B on the DS. This lead to me giving up and starting again multiple times (each choosing Chimchar), until i finally got it right with a Chimchar named Lime (don't question my naming), Lime grew to be my favourite Pokémon, i strangely remember him evolving into Monferno at lvl13 and I'm very sure this did happen (if someone wants to confirm if this is possible go ahead). Later I got Pearl, Platinum, HG and Black. During Black I became quite attached to some of my Pokémon and promised myself i would not get rid of them. Soon after, most of these Pokémon were sitting unused in my box. This had happened in previous playthroughs. My party was constantly changing as I replaced my team. After this I felt extremely guilty and wanted to start Black again. This time, I planned out my team before playing so I would never have to change it. Now keep in mind that I migrate all my favourite Pokémon into the game I am playing once i beat the League. So to start new game i had to trade all of my Pokémon onto my younger brother's game. I had planned to trade my Pokémon back into my new Black game, but i kept forgetting to do it.

Now along comes my sister who comes along and asks my brother if she can start a new game over his. He gives it to her and she restarts it without trading the Pokémon over. My approx. 2 boxes of favourites from the beginning of my entire Pokémon gaming life were suddenly non-existant. The loss of Lime though was devastating. He was basically the embodiment of my childhood with his moveset of Flame Wheel, Rock Smash, Cut and Shadow Claw. I got over it quickly, but my only regret is that I never knew it's nature.

You see, I love Pokémon so much, I often treat my Pokémon as real creatures (and now I sound like a right old loon). I used their natures to determine their personalities and often talk to them during battle (don't judge me). In all fairness, even at my age, I am still a young child at heart, and wish with all of it that Pokémon were real (and now that's on the internet).

But anyways, I believe I would not be the same person if it weren't for Pokémon, for better or for worse. I would have less friends, I wouldn't be as much of a gamer and not use the internet as much as I do and I certainly would have less of a child-like demeanor.

Pokefan1023

Pokemon Breeder :)
My younger brother had Crystal and gave it to me because he couldn't figure it out haha well I did end up figuring it out and he tried to get it back! But at that point I was completely hooked. Ever since then I've been a huge fan

ThisIsPatrick

I started watching the first series of Pokémon when I was very little, bout 4-5 ish, by the time I had started watching I think series 2 or 3 had come out. I bought the cards, games, Video tapes. all that sort of stuff, then on my 6th birthday I got my very first copy of Pokémon FireRed. And then the rest is well... History :)

MonsterMMORPG

Indie Game Developer
i had a php project at the university and my room mate suggested me to make a pokemon online game :D

telivisionhead

Well.... My journey is shorter than some others. Then again I would've been WAY to young to know what a gameboy is or have a gameboy.

In 2012 (Don't judge me. I haven't been with pokemon for like ever and all that) my friend and I were in a club called the Moshi Monsters club. My friend then left it and so did I. I still sometimes go on the site and might look at my toys from it but now she hates Moshi. When she left the moshi monsters club she had a game called "Super Smash Bros Brawl" and that's how she found out about pokemon. I then liked pokemon, so did my other friend then my other friend who his brother had a truckload of rare cards from when he was a kid. Then came the Pokémon club. Then again 2 of our friends followed us and they just watched and they didn't like or know pokemon. But we aren't here today for that story.
My friend started playing games with us giving us clues and we had to guess the pokemon. Since their is about 600 or more it would be hard to she had to say what type it is and if it was a duel type and other clues. She had a pokemon ultimate handbook and helped me out and taught me about pokemon stuff. Their was also a site called "Pokemonvortex.com" and we still go on it. (I don't talk to her I train my shiny legendary pokemons on it) and we talked on the messages about school and pokemon after school and on weekends. After a while I really wanted that book she had too so I bought one from a book shop and the Unova version to. After a while I bought a packet of cards and on my first pack, I got a giritina. WOO!!! Then again I don't get any more luck. I also bought some figures. And before you knew it I even bought a copy of Pokemon White. I was playing it non stop. Caught all legendaries, samurott level 80 after beating the full unova league for the first time and it was awesome throwing pokeballs catching random pokemon.I even caught a heracross,munchlax and a golduck for my team. Golduck the HM master though but he was handy. BUT HE KILLED TERAKION BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS ELECTRIC TYPE!!!!!
Anyway, I ordered 20 pokemon figures and it was alot of cool things. My other friend(left the school this year) bought pokemon Black 2 AND White 2 from pre-ordering and I talked about the games before it and he talked about Black 2 white 2. Weird how most my friends bought both White 2 and Black 2 and not even bought the first game......-_-
I didn't plan to buy pokemon black 2 because I had samurott my trusty partner in pokemon white. When I went to America for a holiday for the 3RD TIME I got Soul silver version,a pokemon t-shirt,5 figures from nintendo land,a tin with 3 cards,more figures and Pokemon black 2. Maybe more.....
I played pokemon soul silver up to lugia and beating lance on my holiday and in black 2 I completed it with a level 85 zoroark and a level 60 samurott by the end of the league.
I then got home and played all my pokemon stuff. I even have a pokemon movie and 2 diamond and pearl dvd for the first season. Well that's basicly my pokemon experiance. All leading down to X and Y.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
My first experience with Pokemon was watching the first seasons on Kids WB. Then, in 2nd grade, my teacher had a couple GB Colors, and I played Silver, the first Pokemon game I ever played.

A few years later, I got a GBA SP, and on my B-Day, I got FR. Picked Charmander, because Charizard is awesome, and got stuck a couple times. Over the next year, I beat the game, got stuck again, started over, and got to the Sevii Islands. About a month later, my brother got Emerald.

About 2 years switching the games back and forth, I bought Gold and Crystal from my friend, as well as a Walkthrough for Emerald. I got a GBA link cable, and started my trading.

A year or so after that, I got Colosseum, got Emerald, and had everything. 2 years later, I got XD. The same Christmas, we got Ds', and I got Diamond. Played it night and day.

2 years ago, I bought Black, and later that year, I got my bro White. He has gotten rid of White, FR, and I got rid of Gold and Crystal, then got B2.

Now, I have Emerald, Diamond, B1, B2, and have pre-ordered Y.

My short history of me and Pokemon:

I first saw Pokemon back when the anime started in 1998 - maybe not the first episode, about 3-4 months later. I was 12 at the time.

I just remember after school searching through the channels until I found an animation I liked, at the time I didn't know it was Pokemon. For about 8 days after I didn't get a chance to see it again (at the time I forgot what channel it was on). When I saw 'cartoon' again, I wrote down channel and time and learned that the 'cartoon' was Pokemon.... after that, every day after school I would come back and first thing was Pokemon. That's how I got hooked on the franchise... anime first.

I didn't play the games until 2004, when my grandma and I were doing a transaction in the bank [my grandma was depositing her paycheck at the bank, I was her interpreter], and my uncle found a Nintendo DS with two games. Mario 64 and Pokemon Fire Red. Thats when my first experience with the games started. Around 2008 or so I discovered the world of emulation - and discovered how easy it was to cheat that game wasn't fun anymore, and don't know what happened to the DS or to the Pokemon game. It got lost.

In 2012 [don't remember exact date - when Black 2/White 2 were released], I bought my first Pokemon game with my own hard earned money (Pokemon Black 2) and a month later I bought my own DS Lite. Ever since, I have completely given up on emulation, and instead I'm now buying the physical copies of the games. I also discovered not to erase data from my games, instead when I want to play a new game or a specific challenge I just buy a new copy of the game.

Today: I still buy the games, buy the merchandise, and even watch the new anime (I like the new Best Wishes season over the older nostalgic stuff - as each new season keeps getting better and better). Thanks to the internet, its now easier for me to buy merchandise and even watch the anime in my own language (Spanish - online I found all 14 seasons that have aired, and every Friday is the new episodes of season 15 - at least for this dub).

Last edited:

DjangoCribbs

Wow... glancing over these, I feel old. Disturbingly so.
If I was a character in the Pokemon anime, I'd be the sad kid in the corner of the playground who hasn't got a Pokemon. I'm about nine years old at primary school and all the other boys in my class have Gameboys (yeah... before colour!) and Pokemon Red/Blue. All I have is the Nintendo Official Magazine Pokemon guide. Fairly exhaustive bank of knowledge. It wasn't till many, many months later, after combining both all of my birthday and Christmas savings, that I had just enough cash to buy a Gameboy and Pokemon Blue.
Of course, by that time, I'd read the strategy guide front to back so many times that I knew considerably more about the game mechanics, at that stage, than any of my friends and I quickly became the best trainer among them despite my late start. By then, however, we were just about to make the change to secondary school. The Pokemon card craze, which had actually largely replaced the game craze, was itself dying down among my age group at that point. By a year or so in to secondary school I was, to my knowledge, the only one of my age group actually playing the game anymore.
So yeah. Been playing Pokemon for the best part of fourteen years now. Given how addictive my personality is... not likely gonna stop anytime soon.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
My friends got me into it when I was about 7. I kind of stopped playing a few years later, but then I got into the competitive aspect, and I'm still playing competitive today.

aT0Msk

Dedicated Trainer
I watched 'Pokémon! I Choose You!' the very first time it was broadcasted on British terrestrial TV (5 channels). It was after school one day and I was hooked immediately! I can fondly remember sticking a poster to my bedroom door that had all 150 monsters on it... good times! I think it was in 1998 so I must of been 7.