• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your favorite dubs

Blood Red Absol

AquaMilotic's Waifu
Actually there is this voice actor (forgot his name)
He does the voices of Ash from Black Butler, Austria from Hetalia and Hiroto Minaka from Sekirei
I think it is great xD

Patrick Seitz is the best American VA.

He needs to put more "HENTAI (Pervert not...yeah)-NO!" into Franky for One Piece. Some more "KURRRRRRRRRA!" and stuff. He sounds so generic there and I know Seitz can do so much better. Guy's "SUPPPPPERRRR" talented in Bleach, Naruto, and everything he does. Could be that FUNi did a crap job with dubbing that game and Seitz will do much much better in the One Piece FUNi dub itself. :)

Yeah, you can tell I think Franky is one of the most hilarious people in the Straw Hat pirates. xD.

Gotta be the original yugioh series. I actually prefer the dub voices for the most part.

I think both the Pokemon dub (4Kids English) and YGO dub (Second Series Anime in JPN/Original YGO series) have great dub voices and I prefer most of them to the JPN counterparts.

Last edited:

matt0044

He needs to put more HENTAI-NO! into Franky for One Piece. Or KURRRRRRRRRA! and stuff. He sounds so generic there and I know Seitz can do so much better. Guy's SUPPPPPERRRR talented in Bleach, Naruto, and everything he does. Could be that FUNi did a crap job with dubbing that game and Seitz will do much much better in the One Piece FUNi dub itself. :)

Yeah, you can tell I think Franky is one of the most hilarious people in the Straw Hat pirates. xD.

You can say what you want about Seitz but trust me, it's better than *shudder* what could've been: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJaFunXGVs

You can say what you want about Seitz but trust me, it's better than *shudder* what could've been: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJaFunXGVs

So true, so very true. That's one dub I will always hate 4Kids for doing. That was the crappiest 4Kids dub by far, ever, and I don't even hate 4Kids or hated them like many anime fans- you can tell lol. I know Faulerro made this video to show how crappy the 4Kids dub of One Piece was and would've been had they held on to it (personally, the YA-YO-YA-YO! intro was a good hint of that hence me avoiding it, or Usopp sounding like a complete idiot, or Sanji's Brooklyn Mobster voice etc.), but they blew it so badly. I was laughing so hard at this video though- terrible puns, edits, awful accents- all the worst of 4Kids in an English dub was their One Piece dub. That's one switch, I thank the lord, FUNimation took over.

Seitz is godlike by comparison: I'm just saying I know he can do so much better. :D

I will give 4Kids Marc Diraison's Zoro (of course they had to make it "Zolo" and mess that up): I prefer Christopher Sabat for that role, of course, but Marc was definitely the standout among the Straw Hats for that dub.

Last edited:

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
I've just had a startling revelation, a dub actually exists that I like better than the Japanese version. That's right my fellow Alt. Anime readers, by some miracle of god this dub actually come into existence. What is this miraculous dub, you ask? Supernatural, I like the fact that Jared Padalecki voices Sam, it's too bad Jensen Ackles didn't voice Dean though, but it's Supernatural, I just can't imagine it, live-action or anime, in any other language.

Zazie

So 1991
It would be easier to name the dubs I don't like, since dubs are my default. I won't talk about that however, since that is counter to the purpose of this thread.

I like the Sailor Moon DiC dub and the Pokemon 4kids for all their cheesy glory.

I prefer the Nelvana* dub of Cardcaptors. Mostly because I like the tomboy characterization of Sakura better.

*which actually isn't the same as the terribly butchered version on kids WB

When it comes to Dragonball/Z I only like the Ocean Group/Blue Water and Harmony Gold dubs. I grew up with the Ocean Group/Blue Water dubs, so I the VA's over having Christopher Sabat voice half the cast. As for Harmony Gold I have only seen clips because it is rare, but it's not that bad, changed character names and was put out in 1989. So it's got retro-kitsch.

And Robotech, a lot of 90s shows cut out death and alchohol for T.V. This particular dub of Macross did not, and that's pretty impressive.

It would be easier to name the dubs I don't like, since dubs are my default. I won't talk about that however, since that is counter to the purpose of this thread.

I like the Sailor Moon DiC dub and the Pokemon 4kids for all their cheesy glory.

I prefer the Nelvana* dub of Cardcaptors. Mostly because I like the tomboy characterization of Sakura better.

*which actually isn't the same as the terribly butchered version on kids WB

When it comes to Dragonball/Z I only like the Ocean Group/Blue Water and Harmony Gold dubs. I grew up with the Ocean Group/Blue Water dubs, so I the VA's over having Christopher Sabat voice half the cast. As for Harmony Gold I have only seen clips because it is rare, but it's not that bad, changed character names and was put out in 1989. So it's got retro-kitsch.

And Robotech, a lot of 90s shows cut out death and alchohol for T.V. This particular dub of Macross did not, and that's pretty impressive.

I don't know why but Pokemon 4Kids Dub really just seems to be a good dub. Of course, the edits were dumb/unnecessary, the replacing of music was not needed, and I know 4Kids botched up a few things here and there (TPCi is the exact same in this regard only to a slightly lesser extent but again only people who don't bash 4Kids without actually watching both dubs would know almost nothing has changed in any of these aspects)...but overall it's a nice solid dub in my eyes. And yeah, I love its cheesiness haha. :)

Kinda proved when 4Kids got their act together, they could do a good job. On the exact reverse end of that is One Piece.

As for DBZ, I'm a FUNimation fan but I do like Ocean Group's as well. Blue Water...not so much, for me, but some voices are solid like Zoe Slusar and Dave Pettitt and one thing that was better about Blue Water is that Mark Menza's music is not in it, rap and beats etc. The OST was better and was from Original JPN, but FUNimation rectified that on the DBGT box sets.

I've just had a startling revelation, a dub actually exists that I like better than the Japanese version. That's right my fellow Alt. Anime readers, by some miracle of god this dub actually come into existence. What is this miraculous dub, you ask? Supernatural, I like the fact that Jared Padalecki voices Sam, it's too bad Jensen Ackles didn't voice Dean though, but it's Supernatural, I just can't imagine it, live-action or anime, in any other language.

I heard Supernatural has a very good English dub. I think, and yeah so many people say this but, Cowboy Bebop had one hell of a good dub. Slayers as well, back when Lisa Ortiz voice wasn't flying everywhere in 4Kids and TPCi's dubs and her Lina Inverse voice actually sounded rigid, excellent, and distinct.

Last edited:

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Gotta be the original yugioh series. I actually prefer the dub voices for the most part.

I forgot about Yu-Gi-Oh!. I love me some 4Kids Yu-Gi-Oh! cheesy as it is.

This is one of the many things that makes the K-ON! movie so amazing, the fact that the English characters, in England, actually speak English.

I love this so much. Not just any English too, but with the correct accent!

I need to try to watch this again. I found it online and I had some spare time so I thought "Hey, why not?"

But the person uploaded it subbed.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?
IT'S SUPERNATURAL. AUUUGH.

But yeah, shame they couldn't get Jensen as well.

Aside from the obCowboyBebopvious, Pokemon, Eden of the East, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars and Yu Yu Hakusho (pity about the show it comes with, though).

To merely quote Colress (from the Pokemon BW2 Trailer): I disagree (the latter especially since Stephanie matches Mikuru's JPN voice).

You know who else has said that? Everyone in the world at some point in their lives.

He needs to put more "HENTAI (Pervert not...yeah)-NO!" into Franky for One Piece. Some more "KURRRRRRRRRA!" and stuff. He sounds so generic there and I know Seitz can do so much better. Guy's "SUPPPPPERRRR" talented in Bleach, Naruto, and everything he does. Could be that FUNi did a crap job with dubbing that game and Seitz will do much much better in the One Piece FUNi dub itself. :)

Uh, you want him to speak more Japanese in the dub? I don't get it.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't mind dubs as long as the emotion and atmosphere remains the same. But my favorite dubs off the top of my head have to be (in no particular order):

4KIDS Pokémon
Digimon (because of the silly dialogue, though it was still not a bad dub overall)
Monster
Azumanga Daioh
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
DragonBall Z
4KIDS Yu-Gi-Oh (for the lulz and DAN GREEN)
CLANNAD
Studio Ghibli films (that I've seen)

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
inb4Jolteon91

matt already told me not to bash dubs when I posted my opinion on how horrible Haruhi's dub is, so as to avoid another VM telling me not to do it I'm just going to avoid posting about how Clannad's dub is beyond terrible, possibly even on of the worst. Sorry to disappoint.

Atleast no one has said K-ON! yet, I don't think I could resist that.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
matt already told me not to bash dubs when I posted my opinion on how horrible Haruhi's dub is, so as to avoid another VM telling me not to do it I'm just going to avoid posting about how Clannad's dub is beyond terrible. Sorry to disappoint.

I don't see how it's bad, the voices obviously got much better by After Story. I do agree that it's so much better subbed, but like I said: I think a dub is good when it sticks close to the script, and keeps the same emotions and atmosphere from the original, and CLANNAD fit that well for me. And obviously I couldn't make my parents and grandparents watch it and have to read subtitles, so I had to go with the dub, and it did grow on me. Something that not even the Higurashi dub has accomplished (sort of), even though I was happy enough to recognize some of the voice actors. Two of them would go on to voice two characters in Monster (English voice actress of Miyo, and voice actor of Akasaka would voice Nina Liebert and Grimmer, respectably).

But whatever. Opinions are opinions.

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. The other dubs just annoy me with their stupid dialogue or I just don't like the voices at all. Well, that or they're just kinda ok, but I still prefer the originals.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
I don't see how it's bad, the voices obviously got much better by After Story. I do agree that it's so much better subbed, but like I said: I think a dub is good when it sticks close to the script, and keeps the same emotions and atmosphere from the original, and CLANNAD fit that well for me. And obviously I couldn't make my parents and grandparents watch it and have to read subtitles, so I had to go with the dub, and it did grow on me. Something that not even the Higurashi dub has accomplished (sort of), even though I was happy enough to recognize some of the voice actors. Two of them would go on to voice two characters in Monster (English voice actress of Miyo, and voice actor of Akasaka would voice Nina Liebert and Grimmer, respectably).

But whatever. Opinions are opinions.

Don't you read? I said I wasn't going to post my opinion about how terrible Clannad's dub is, now you're going to get me in trouble with matt when I didn't even do it.

matt0044

matt already told me not to bash dubs when I posted my opinion on how horrible Haruhi's dub is, so as to avoid another VM telling me not to do it I'm just going to avoid posting about how Clannad's dub is beyond terrible, possibly even on of the worst. Sorry to disappoint.

Well, only for this thread.

Don't you read? I said I wasn't going to post my opinion about how terrible Clannad's dub is, now you're going to get me in trouble with matt when I didn't even do it.

Well, if you must, you can discuss whether or not the Clannad dub is bad or good outside this thread (with VMs/PMs). I mean, if you want to.

Last edited:
Aside from the obCowboyBebopvious, Pokemon, Eden of the East, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars and Yu Yu Hakusho (pity about the show it comes with, though).

You know who else has said that? Everyone in the world at some point in their lives.

Uh, you want him to speak more Japanese in the dub? I don't get it.
Lol no just make him more silly and zany, that's all. Like wacko haha. What I meant by generic is just he's not having fun with him and stuff: I hope he does that lol, it'll be awesome when he gets into character. :)

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. The other dubs just annoy me with their stupid dialogue or I just don't like the voices at all. Well, that or they're just kinda ok, but I still prefer the originals.

I found one dub where Trunks sounds like a stoned surfer. XD

matt0044