• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your favorite memory from the Gen IV games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Every Pokemon game has brought several things that make the games memorable to us in some way. So share what your favorite memories from the Gen IV games are! Of course, be creative with your posts and all that instead of simple one liners.

My favorite memories from the Gen IV games were the Old Chateau and the Lugia summoning from SoulSiver. The former because it creeped me out the first time I saw it due to its eerie music and the latter because of all of the Kimono Girls dancing to bring Lugia to battle the player.

ZilverLox

Banned
My favorite memories from the Gen IV games were when I completed the National Dex in SoulSilver and when I found a Shiny Ho-Oh when I faced Ho-Oh at the Bell Tower in HeartGold.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I remember seeing the Lugia scene in Whirl Islands and thinking that this is exactly why remakes can be brilliant if they're done right. They can improve on older games that are important to players so much.

Xuxuba

I can't pick just one...

But my favorite memories were walking around with my favorite pokemons, finding rare pokemon on the pokewalker, seeing Lugia being summoned by the kimono girls, playing the PokéAthlon for hours and getting really close to completing the pokedex.

I have a few, in no particular order.

- Completing the National dex
- Beating Red
- Using the Pokewalker
- Battling Lugia
- Youngster Joey's phone calls
- Crasher Wake's song
- Whitney's temper tantrum
- Battling my way through Mt. Coronet

And many others, but those are some I thought of first

In Pokemon Platinum, I defeated Cyrus's final Distortion World team using Pokemon with levels ranging from 37-41. It was hella satisfying. Lucky for me that two of his Pokemon were weak to Electric!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In Pokémon Platinum, I was pretty thrilled when I finally beat Cynthia, especially her Garchomp, after many tries although 2/3 of my team were Legendaries, which were the entire Lake Trio and Giratina because of Cynthia's reputable difficulty. Recently in SoulSilver, I finally managed to defeat Thorton in a tough battle in the Battle Factory for his Silver Symbol and it was especially memorable because it was my first time defeating a Frontier Brain in the Gen 4 games.

Kalosian

So long
I have many good memories from the 4th Gen games... or at least from D/P/P. Some of the best ones that I can think of right now are the following:

July 27, 2007. The European release date for D/P, the day I got Pearl and started playing it. The game was really fun, it lived up to my expectations and it was a very memorable day, finally being able to play the game the rest of the world had been playing for such a long time. I remember that I had to wait until late in the afternoon to play it because of the circumstances in my life at that time.

Another good memory is when I entered Sunyshore City for the first time in Pearl. The whole thing was very atmospheric and memorable.

Completing the Pokedex in D/P/P. This one has many stages. First of all was when I completed the majority of the Pokedex but was missing most Event legends. Second is when I finally had obtained all the Event legends in 2011, bringing me to 493 Pokemon seen and caught. I was so happy to finally be done with the Pokedex. It was the first generation where I managed to get all regular Pokemon and all event legends.

I also have many good memories from battling at the D/P Battle Tower and the Platinum Battle Frontier. First has got to be when I managed to win against Palmer in the second battle against him in Pearl, it had been an intense journey there and the battle wasn't all easy either. Shamefully, I won only due to hax. Still, I was so happy about making it, and his quote after beating him for the second time was amazing, still one of my favorite quotes in the series. My second Battle Tower memory is when I managed to win 100 battles in a row at the Double Line in D/P. It wasn't easy getting there, I'm pretty sure I lost once on each game before making it. I also had a very difficult battle against a Cradily on Diamond which I almost lost, it is one of the most memorable battles I have ever had in any game. Finally, beating the Platinum Battle Frontier, getting the Gold Print in all facilities except the Factory and winning 100 battles in a row at the Battle Tower there as well. Like in D/P, it wasn't easy and I lost several times before making it, but it was worth it when I finally managed to do it.

I don't have that many good memories from HG/SS, but the one that stands out the most for me has got to be when I finally completed the Pokedex in these games. It happened very late, in December 2015. I had been delaying it ever since 2010, didn't think I would ever get it done because it was such a pain. So when I finally got it done, I was quite happy. There might be more positive memories from HG/SS, but this was the one I could think of right now.

As a kid, I'd say, in Diamond, entering Canalave City for the first time. It was small, simple, the music was amazing... and then I discovered the library. Honestly, I spent so much time poring over the myths and legends there. I'd even turn on the game, fly to Canalave, and just go into the library so that I could read them while I listened to the music. Because I spent so long there, Canalave actually became my favourite city in all of the series. Whenever I visit Canalave whenever I replay the games, it always feels like I'm coming home.

Then there was that climb up Mount Coronet. Once again, thanks to the music. There was just such a sense of urgency that I felt like I needed to hurry; to get to Spear Pillar as soon as feasibly possible.

Similarly, also in Diamond, it was reaching Victory Road for the first time. I was wondering why the music didn't kick in immediately, and when it did... I realised suddenly that my journey was coming to an end. That was a feeling I hadn't experienced in any of the prior games. And honestly, I found it incredibly sad. There was a sense of finality I'd never experienced.

Another music-related thing- in SoulSilver this time. I'd like to establish that, at that time, Gen 2 had been my most played Generation, so I was very familiar with the music and everything. I fought my first trainer, not expecting anything entirely special, considering I'd heard it all before. But then I reached about a minute in, and just had to pause and take it in. The buildup at that point honestly was chilling to me. In fact, I have to admit, whenever I fought anyone in Johto, I would always delay finishing the battle, or simply just pausing and taking it in just so I could experience that same thrill.

Truth be told, I don't actually have too many memories of either of those two games from when I was young, and they were first released. However, when I Nuzlocked the first part of SoulSilver and Platinum (note- playing Platinum for the first time), both runs gave me so many amazing memories of those journeys regardless.

For SoulSilver, it was the apprehension of starting a run I didn't believe I could complete. There was defeating Whitney with no deaths. Losing my first Pokemon. Having little faith in my Slowking, Morpheus, because of his Jolly nature, and being pleasantly surprised by how amazing he was. Finding my shiny Fearow, Osiris (and later finding my shiny Victreebel, Isabelle, in the same file), after having lost one years ago. Giving up Morpheus because my Lapras, Leviathan, played a role that he could not. Sacrificing a Weedle to heal Leviathan against Claire, and having his life saved because of it. Getting a Dratini, and my counter agaisnt Lance. Grinding for ages with Voltorb Flip so that I could get Ice Beam. And finally, sweeping the league and completing my first Nuzlocke run.

And for Platinum- the time I forgot to save, turned off, and ended up minus a Shinx. Deciding to bend the rules because, come on, that was just me being careless, and catching a new Shinx with the same gender and ability. Using a Geodude to tank Mars. Sweeping until Cycling Road, when I lost my Staravia, Sharla. Finding a Gible. Catching a Ralts, and losing it as a Kirlia, only to get a Scyther. Grimm immediately joining my team and becoming an utter powerhouse. Finding Quinn the Houndour. Returning to Canalave. Losing my Rampardos, Maul. Fighting Cyrus, and promptly losing said Shinx, now a Luxray named Six Stars. Being scared for Quinn against Lucian's Earthquake Bronzong, only to realise my Garchomp could learn Fire Fang. Going onto the League, and having my starter, Stratus, survive an Earthquake with 2HP- and sweeping the rest of the team, just clinging to 2HP.

Even taking this into account, however, my favourite memory in general in Gen 4 was facing Cynthia for the first time in Platinum. I'd always tried to get to her when I was a kid. Always failed due to using just a level 80 Torterra. I'd heard so much about how difficult of a Champion she could be, and though there were rather mixed opinions on this, Platinum seemed to be more dangerous. So naturally, with the Nuzlocke rules, essentially going in blind, I was nervous. Honestly, I was shaking a bit, stressing out. That, then hearing such intense music, knowing what stakes there were made that battle so much more incredible to me. Even if I wasn't young then (that run finished last October), that battle and my victory became my favourite Generation 4 memory.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Hmmm I'd have to go with the time that I purchased Diamond and Pearl hee hee. I got both on the same day when it was my birthday and I remember playing Pearl and choosing Turtwig as my starter in the car as we drove to my surprise party. :]

Alloutℯ

Banned
My favorite Gen 4th moment was when I completed my PokeDex in Pearl because it took such a long time and involved so much trading, but was so worth it when it was finished.

Leonhart

Imagineer
My favorite memory from the 4th Generation era was the day that the first Diamond and Pearl game scans were released. I still remember jumping up and down with glee when I saw the Ken Sugimori artwork for Hikari (Dawn) and Koki (Lucas), as well as the graphics.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Can't believe I haven't posted here yet...

Anyway, I have so many good memories from the Gen 4 games, but these are a few that come to mind first:

DPPt:
-Getting my Pearl on the day it came out in North America. It was the first time I got a game on release day. My sister got Diamond at the same time and we spent the rest of the day playing our games. I remember having fun exploring a new region and trying out the new Sinnoh Pokemon.

-The time I had a 5-day break from school and spent it playing through my Japanese copy of Platinum. I was able to finish the main story during the break and I had a wonderful time seeing all the changes/upgrades from DP (even if I couldn't understand the text lol).

HGSS:
-The announcement of HGSS. I wanted a Johto remake so bad, so I was ecstatic when it finally happened.

-Playing the game for the first time. Similar to Platinum, I ordered a Japanese copy of SoulSilver so I didn't have to wait. I remember feeling so happy while playing up to Olivine on the first day I had the game...I just loved being able to experience Johto again.

Cat's Eye Draco

My Top 5 favorite memories are probably (in no particular order):

1. The Lugia Summoning in SS
2. Finding Red on Mt. Silver
3. Exploring the Distortion World
4. Giratina Appearing in Platinum
5. Battling Cynthia

Last edited:

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
I loved the summoning of Lugia, and I liked being able to battle Red. The cutscenes in Diamond/Pearl were pretty good too, and of course, I adored the Distortion World. Iron Island was kinda cool, but the best thing for me was possibly battling Darkrai in Pearl, during the event, that I did participate in.

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
My favorite memories was playing the games with my 3 friends. we would compare teams,multi battle,do contests,go underground stealing each others flags and setting traps etc.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
In Platinum, my favourite memories were exploring the Distortion World, climbing the uppr floors of Mt.Coronet, and hearing Giratina's theme. In the Johto remakes, I enjoyed watching the Kimono Girls summon Lugia/Ho-oh (especially the former) and battling Red.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
Maybe dressing up my pokemon in my soul silver game ^_^

And also the wifi battles i used to do with online buddies were fun too :)

EDIT: I cannot forget the pokeaphlon too xD that was AWESOME

kaitosimm

Pokemon platinum, when i had 5 level 100s and my starter through the whole game because i wanted to power through the games that i hated to get to the legendaries and realizing it is one of the best pokemon games ever. I just wish it would happen with RSE.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Since I've been playing Diamond again, I've been thinking of a lot of the things I did on DP (mostly Pearl) back in 2007 or so.
A couple of memories:

-How much time I spent in the Underground. In particular, I remember one day where I stayed home from school due to a headache, then spent the entire afternoon digging stuff up while watching TV. Then, there were many days where I spent my afternoons after school wasting time Underground.

-Winning some (or all?) of the Master Rank Contests in Pearl. I worked on winning them during one week in the summer at my grandparents' house. I remember spending a lot of time collecting accessories in Amity Square, learning how to cook Poffins properly, getting mad and almost throwing my DS when the Contests weren't going my way, and then being really happy when I won a Contest.

Another thing: in 2006, reading news about DP here/on the main site before the Japanese release. It was the first time that I was following news about upcoming games, and I remember it being so exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.