• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your favorite Pokemon game to date?

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
My tastes admittedly have developed over the years.. personally I will say my favorite game to date would be Pokemon Platinum for a few reasons

1. Cynthia was in my opinion the slickest champion to date.
2. Dawn, Barry and the Professor felt like my family at times, and definitely reinforced a small town family kind of feel.
3. Mt. Coronet was fun to cross and explore during the game. I thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful backdrop it provided during my adventure.
4. Not to mention that Sinnoh IMHO seem to be the only starters besides Hoenn that could go toe to toe with the Kanto starters in terms of aesthetic and typing.
5. Distortion World was another great addition. Just excellent.
6. Battle Frontier rivals Emerald.
7. The story seemed the most in depth in terms of exploration of religious lore.
8. The gym leaders are rematch-able (Toe to toe with its generational sister games, HGSS).
9. Your own apartment. I mean you get to move out lol.
10. You get origin forme Giratina after the E4

But yes for me personally Platinum is my all time favorite Pokemon game tying with Soul Silver. Picking between those two is like picking between my children so I guess I'll just call it a tie and call it a day. If Soul Silver didn't have Gym Leader rematches or a battle frontier though Platinum would win the day.

Last edited:

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
1. FireRed/LeafGreen: the originals in the best pixel art possible before the series abandoned it for a mix of low-res 3D models.
2. Crystal: even though I prefer the original Kanto storyline to Johto, it was still a good expansion of the originals before I completely lost my interest in the series.
3. Red/Blue: the games I started with.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
That's difficult for me to answer, but I would say either Pokemon Heartgold or Pokemon Sun and Moon

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
BW + B2W2 would have to be my favorite games because they did some many things right.
  1. The overall story between the two games was very interesting and compelling. I felt an emotional connection with N and actually viewed him as a friend after the game ended.
  2. The Unova region itself felt lively because each area had a reason for being there. All the various forests, caves, and ruins had some sort of lore behind them, usually a legendary. Also going around Castelia City with all the NPC's wandering about was amazing at the time.
  3. Despite the pixelated graphics I still enjoyed its visuals. I think those graphics added a certain charm to the game.
  4. It introduced new Pokemon that really interested me. Off the top of my head the most memorable would have to be Galvantula, Krookodile, Sawsbuck, Braviary, and Zekrom.
  5. Team Plasma actually felt like a threat. They didn't just want to control the world they wanted to liberate Pokemon from humans. That's an interesting plot point because it's the exact opposite of what the series is about.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
USUM is the best for me so far! :D

• An upgrade to things in the awesome Sun and Moon.
  • Trainer customization with nearly 600 fashion items to collect (if you play as the girl)
  • Festival Plaza is really cool to me regardless of what others say
  • Changing things up (though what exactly I'm alluding to here started in SM)
  • Alola Photo Club (restores what was lost from the removal of PR videos)
  • Great region

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
My favorites are between B/W, HG/SS, Sun/Moon, and Platinum. They all have interesting storylines especially BW and they have some of my favorite Pokémon and characters

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I like the Hoenn games so R/S/E and ORAS.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
In terms of challenge, Silver/Crystal followed by R/B/Y. In terms of fun... Emerald and Diamond, followed by Sapphire. New ones... I really like Black/White and Black 2 and White 2 for the challenge followed by X/Y for the shiny hunting. I also have a soft spot for Soul Silver.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Platinum, it definitely feels the most complete and balanced, and it has very few glaring flaws. That being said, I also like HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black 2/White 2 (haven't played OR/AS yet), but they have the infamous leveling curve and linear region issues, respectively.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Platinum, it definitely feels the most complete and balanced, and it has very few glaring flaws. That being said, I also like HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black 2/White 2 (haven't played OR/AS yet), but they have the infamous leveling curve and linear region issues, respectively.

Pretty much the same for me (except BW2 - hardly remember playing that game, need to replay it soon)

Chiaki Bunny

Get In The Bag, Nebby!
Hmm... My list is subject to change almost everyday, but as of now I'd go with...

1. Crystal + HG/SS
2. Platinum
3. Emerald + ΩR/αS
4. B2/W2
5. FR/LG + US/UM

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
No surprise, but I guess I'd go for BW/B2W2, for the following reasons:

1. I felt a really close bond with the rivals. Cheren, in my opinion, was on par with Blue, and had a well rounded character arc that showed a developing personality. He melded brilliantly with Bianca, who's ditzy charm made me smile on more than one occasion.

2. The themes were probably some of the best that Pokémon has to offer. Some standouts were N's old bedroom, Ghetsis' Theme, Unwavering Emotions, Colress' Theme, and I love Alder's Theme.

3. Ghetsis was genuinely disturbing. I think he was the most unstable and dangerous Pokemon villain to date. And although he isn't my favourite bad guy (unless Guzma doesn't count as a villain) I can't help but feel nervous when battling him in any game.

4. Unova felt incredibly well built. We watched to progression of the region in two games, over two years, which not only changed the aesthetics, but showed how the Leaders had changed.

5. It introduced an amazing mechanic. I don't know the overall opinion on this, but I was overwhelmed by the transformation of Kyurem, going from an enigmatic creature in a cave in BW to being the box legendary of B2W2. I get goosebumps whenever the fusion cutscene plays, and I never pass an opportunity to use Kyurem in my games.

6. The characters on a whole showed just how emotionally invested you can be in a game. I genuinely cared about Cheren, Hugh, Bianca and N, and loved following their stories over the games. The Gym Leaders left me struck, and their personalities (and names) are etched into my mind. And Team Plasma were probably the most well crafted Team to date.

7. Some people think that SM or RBY are the best. However...

I DISAGREE

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I have thought about which is my favourite Pokémon main series game a lot, and I have decided it is Emerald, HGSS and BW2. These are definitely my 3 favourite Pokémon games of all time.

The order is Emerald = BW2 > HGSS

1. Emerald

Hoenn is totally dope. Varied landscapes, green grass, water and wild Pokemon everywhere. It is the perfect place for exploration. It feels really adventurous, more so than all other regions.
Besides, Emerald has some of my all-time favourite Pokémon features: Secret Bases are an amzing feature. Contests are very cool. And then there is the Hoenn BF, the best feature ever. With a whopping 7 facilities, of which all are awesome, bar the Battle Palace.

1. BW2

Unova is such an exciting, urban region. It is just cool to roam around Castelia and Nimbasa, or Skyarrow Bridge, etc. Unova has the most attention to detail of all regions, and is so fleshed out.
The game also has the PWT, which I consider the best feature ever, on the same level of the Hoenn BF. Challenging all the Gym Leaders and Champs of all previous games is so exciting. And then there is the Subway and Funfest Missions, both of which I enjoy as well.

3. HGSS

Johto and Kanto are awesome in their own right, but combined, they make the best region in the series. Johto in particular is a favourite of mine, with its calm, mysterious, historical vibe. It is such a beautiful region with a deep lore.
HGSS also has a fantastic BF, though not so awesome like the Emerald original BF and the PWT. Thats why I rank HGSS a little lower than the other two games. However, the difference is verlittle.

M.P.

Retired
Top 5:
1. Pokemon Black and White
Good story, a lot of new Pokemon, TMs can be used infinitely, great region.

2. Platinum
Good story, improved PokeDex from D/P, new cross-gen evos now obtainable during story, great region.

3. Pokemon Black and White 2
Great story, PWT.

4. HeartGold and SoulSilver
Two regions, walking Pokemon.

5. Sun and Moon
HMs gone, good story, tried to bring something new to the "formula" in form of Trials, great region.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Platinum. The amount of time I've put into this game definitely outmatches every other Pokémon game. It has more changes than any other 3rd version to the point where it almost feels like its own game

Goddess Yami

Happy Go Lucky
Alpha Sapphire is my favorite Pokemon game of all time. I know a lot people hate the gen 3 remakes because they're missing out on Emerald stuff. The missing content doesn't bother me. ORAS has plenty to do at least for me. I don't care about the Battle Frontier by the way. I have never cared for any post game battle tower/frontier/mansion/whatever.

I love AS because I put so much time into it. It was the first time in any of the games where I completed the National Dex and a Living Dex. The Dex Nav was a lovely addition and I hate the fact they go rid of it. Wonder Trade was awesome (I liked it in XY, but I learned to love it in ORAS). It really helped fill in missing holes in my Living Dex. And top all off the I was able to obtain all the mythicals I missed out on over the years thanks to the 20th anniversary events.

My gen 6 Living Dex is still in my AS file. I just don't have the heart to move it up to my gen 7 games. So instead I made a Living Dex of the Regional Dex in Sun and moved it to my UM file. I just beaten US so now I want to do another Living Dex, but this time we're going all the way back to gen 1! I'm going to start from scratch for the most part. I will use my gen 7 Regional Dex to help. Getting the Nebby line for a Living Dex is a pain. I'm hook on catching and collecting Pokemon now. So AS will always be special to me.

My second favorite games are probably the gen 7 games as a whole. The breeding being made easier allowed me to breed prefect Pokemon for fun and shinyies. Before USUM came out I breeded a shiny Cutiefly and I gave it an egg move for my UM team. Post UM I breeded a prefect shiny Oddish. I hope we can transfer gen 7 Pokemon to the 2019 games. I want to use my Oddish! lol

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Favorite games. This isn't a top list
R/S due to how I grew up with that and have fond memories of it.

OR/AS due to how it add quite a bit to it and hit my nostalgia buttons.

B/W and B2/W2 due to how it was a continuous/ good story, as well as some of my favorite pokemon originating from these games. (Volcarona, Hydreigon, Vanilluxe, Kyurem.)

Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness. This is a spin off that functions close to the main series Orre's atmosphere in the first game was rather different and dark from any of the main games and XD helped made Cipher as a bad guy team my favorite to hate. Plus this game gives you limited options in pokemon to use and makes you have to think outside the box... I am still waiting for that third game.

US/UM. It took everything that made S/M incomplete to me and gave me a more complete game that left me satisfied... rather than me wanting more. While the main story cut out some Lillie time (Most of it got moved to the RR episode anyways.) and the URS could have done more, everything else to me, from the climax, expanding on Hau, post game and how it completes character arcs were things I liked better than the vanilla games by far.

Mystery dungeon explorer games. Best story written in a spin off, period and I liked the mechanics of the games.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think Sun and Moon at this point