• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your favorite Spe character design

horrahforyou

Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life
I do like
Red, Blue (girl ) and Yellow's Yamamoto version. Also into Ruby's design, the Sinnoh trio, X, Sun's cat face and Moon

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I like Yellow's design, not only is her design still freaking adorable, her design by Mato undoubtedly represents so much of Satoshi Tajiri's design philosophy of the original Pokemon games really well, intentional or not. One of the reasons why Satoshi praised Pokemon GO is because it reminded of his childhood of going outside to collect bugs. This carried over into the original Pokemon games where you see so many of the adults wearing uniforms, business suits and other worker outfits while most of the kids wore country or sporty clothing representing the outdoors that they enjoy. We can see this reflected into the protagonists actually. The original Krys sported a more sportier look before she was given a more fashionable makeover in Gen 4. The original May sported a more sportier look before she was given a more fashionable makeover in Gen 6 and then you begin to realize that the newer character designs of the Pokemon games are including a more fashionable take on Pokemon characters rather than the usual country/sportier take that represents kids having an adventure of the outdoors.

So with that said, Yellow's design is without a doubt the most Pokemon-esque character design there is for an character outside of the games. She sports a Strawhat, country-like clothes, boots and a fishing rod which represents Satoshi Tajiri's design pihlosophy and his childhood quite well. It's because of this I always thought the anime-exclusive characters, Jessie, Jame & Meowth looked out-of-place at the time due to how highly fashionable they looked during Gen 1 whereas I actually mistook Yellow as a legit character from the video games. I like Yellow's design, it really captures the heart of what helps make Pokemon feel like an adventure and is definitely one character I hope to not just see in an anime adaptation of Pokemon Adventures but just in the games canon because she would fit right in and I bet new Pokemon fans wouldn't be able to tell that she's originally from the manga unless you tell them.

Last edited:

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I really like Yellow, Black, and Whitley, specifically. Sometimes the Pokespe art style can look a little weird on the newer game characters (the Gen 5/6 protagonists look and feel sleeker and older; Yamamoto’s more wide-eyed style takes some adjusting to on them), but the latter two fit right in. Another shout-out to Sun and Moon, who remind me a lot of the old Pokespe days with how their personalities are conveyed so well through their designs.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Yellow's design is pretty great for an original character with no in-game counterpart, and I like Red's design from the early days of the manga as well since he was a good balance of tough and cute. Yamamoto's upgraded design for Red looks a bit more dynamic, but I still prefer Mato's version.

shoz999

Yellow's design is pretty great for an original character with no in-game counterpart, and I like Red's design from the early days of the manga as well since he was a good balance of tough and cute. The Yamamoto's upgraded design for Red looks a bit more dynamic, but I still prefer Mato's version.
Oh yeah. That's something I've noticed but Mato's artstyle is not only more gamey but also to best describe this, more cuter than Yamamoto's. You can tell this through Mato's artwork of Yellow's team. In the Yellow arc, it is just the most adorable-looking Pokemon team I have ever seen in the Pokemon series but in the FireRed & LeafGreen arc, they look much more accurate to their game counterpart and therefore have a more... action-packed look to it?

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Dia's Pokemon Adventures design was really adorable. He looked a bit chubbier than in the games and I'm glad that the illustrator managed to improve on the design of Lucas by giving Dia some weight lol.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm also fond of the way that Diamond was drawn in Pokemon Special since he was given a rounder face than Kouki in the games, and a sleepy facial expression as well. I also like how Sapphire was drawn with a fierce facial expression in the manga, as well as sharp teeth.

shoz999

I also realized that the Yamamoto version of Yellow is more feminine, although I like Mato's Yellow it looks like as if she's a real boy until her hat washed away revealing her ponytail
I don't know. I think that had more to do with the fact that Yellow is growing up. In Yellow and GSC, she's 11-12 but in the FRLG-Emerald arc, she's 14, as in she's growing into a young woman soon.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I don't know. I think that had more to do with the fact that Yellow is growing up. In Yellow and GSC, she's 11-12 but in the FRLG-Emerald arc, she's 14, as in she's growing into a young woman soon.
She already woman in later arc .........Problem is we don't see them age as they don't show up as much like they do in frlg/e arc