• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your favorite underused character(s)

Kintaro

Banned
The dude from the Seaking fishing episode? He could've been Misty's rival if the writers had thought ahead and tried to do something creative with her in mid Johto.

Or they could have brought back Marina the Golduck girl from Orange Islands, or introduced Sakura earlier. But for some reason the writers didn't want Misty/Brock to have rivals in the OS.

The OS was all heavily about Ash after all, his travel companions were lucky back then to just get a few fillers that showcased them. All the other later companions get proper showcasing, even the ones without real goals.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Andreas from Johto should have made another appearance. He reminded me a lot of Gary.

He really was like Gary which might explain why he wasn't brought back. I mean did we really need two jerk rivals in Johto?

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Nando - Seriously this man is one of the most interesting Pokemon characters in my opinion, but he didn't even show up that much. It's not often you see a Pokemon bard.

Angie- It's sad that she only appeared in a few episodes. I think she would've made a good rival for Ash. Kinda reminds me of Morrison, but just a little bit.

Kintaro

Banned
I wish that she had been the only SM female cast member from the start, honestly.

They could have worked with Lana being there still. Mallow probably would have worked better as a recurring character like Olivia, same with Sophocles. I guess Kiawe has to be there for the "Brock-type character" so he is a given.

Kintaro

Banned
Meowth in boots was a homage to Puss in boots from Shrek 2. Shrek 2 came out in 2004 and the Hoenn league aired in 2005, so the Japanese writers likely planned it as soon as they saw the movie. I didn’t even know the Shrek movies came out in Japan

Dream Lad

Banned
1471564716016.png

"The dream crusher? His sense of winning was no less than Ash's, I deem. You wonder what his full name is, where he comes from, and if he really was a hax legendary user at heart. What losses or Pokemon led him on this long march from home, or he would not rather have stayed there... in peace? Leagues will make salt of us all."

- Faramir Dream Lad

Leonhart

Imagineer
Dream Lad said:
1471564716016.png

"The dream crusher? His sense of winning was no less than Ash's, I deem. You wonder what his full name is, where he comes from, and if he really was a hax legendary user at heart. What losses or Pokemon led him on this long march from home, or he would not rather have stayed there... in peace? Leagues will make salt of us all."

- Faramir Dream Lad

He definitely deserved some backstory, or at the very least a second appearance in a special episode. I remember thinking that he was going to appear in the post-DP Takeshi special since we saw a Latias in one of the first previews for it and I thought Takuto owning one would've made so much sense, but then it turned out that it was Joi's Latias.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
1471564716016.png

- Faramir Dream Lad

Most people hate him even to this day, but he was one of the few characters in this show that I thought was genuinely mysterious.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
He definitely deserved some backstory, or at the very least a second appearance in a special episode. I remember thinking that he was going to appear in the post-DP Takeshi special since we saw a Latias in one of the first previews for it and I thought Takuto owning one would've made so much sense, but then it turned out that it was Joi's Latias.
Yeah, a backstory of how he was able to get A DARKRAI AND A LATIOS

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
There’s a few competitors that come to mind like Ursula or Masaomi that I enjoyed seeing them battle against a character and I’ll also add in Team Skull who are surprisingly underused in favor of the TRio when Tupp and his goons had an interesting rivalry with their Kanto counterparts. It’s really sad how it was used for only one episode when it could’ve been lasted longer. My favorite underused character (who isn’t a main character in the anime) is Manon. She was absolutely incredible in the Mega Evolution Special Acts and I adored her for the time she was in there but then she became a shell of her former self, a watered down version who didn’t feel like the same Manon. Her and Alan’s transition into the main anime was pretty bad.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
Giovanni. He used to be such a threatening presence and he still could be. The contrast between the TRio and Giovanni has always worked well and even though Team Rocket's involvement with Necrozma was a good start, I felt so much more could've been done. Giovanni actually came across as scheming and threatening for the first time in a long time when he was talking to Nanu, but then nothing was actually done with that (unless Team Rocket get a little arc after the league of course).

DatsRight

I am left seriously rooting for both Sandy and Shaymin to get more limelight. They only got one episode in centre stage, shared between them no less, and that one did enough to make them endearing. Plus I feel like they could way more with the fact that Mallow has a freaking mythical.

Similarly liked Acerola's bond with Rapooh, despite only being shown in a couple episodes.

Last edited: