• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Favorite Wii U Game of 2013?

What is your favorite Wii U Game of 2013?

• Total voters

Torpoleon

The Wii U had a really slow start and had basically no games between January and basically July, but after that good games have started to trickle in.

My favorite of this year was Super Mario 3D World. The E3 showing didn't look very exciting, but as we saw more of the game, it really turned out to be an amazing gem (I still like Galaxy a bit more though). No online multiplayer is disappointing and having to play as all 5 characters in all levels is too, but it is still fantastic and does get pretty difficult (I still can't beat the final level).

What is your favorite Wii U game of this year? By the way, I chose to list third party games that aren't exclusive like Rayman Legends because even though it isn't exclusive on Wii U, it is still on the system and thus should still be listed, just like another non exclusive third party title.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
The last Wii U game I bought was Tekken Tag Tournament U, which came out last year...

I got Wind Waker for my Birthday, but I don't really like it honestly... :/ I find myself pulling my hair in frustration more often than I'm having fun with it.

There weren't any games I liked for the Wii U this year, and I mostly use the system for the web browser. Hopefully next year will be better.

Last edited:

Cloneydew2000

WildScraggyAppeared!
Super Mario 3D World is great, but I found that sometimes the difficulty curve would go up by miles and then go back to being easy. I just finished the water world and am loving it.

My favourite Wii U game is Pikmin 3 as it is visually beautiful and the gameplay is awesome, although I get stuck very easily. Next year should be even better for the console, with games such as Smash Bros.

Colton S

Beware Bewear
Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Lego City, or Wind Waker HD. Too many good ones to choose just one!

Poetry

Dancing Mad
From what I've played, has to be 3D World. Little else comes close, though I'm sincerely hoping 2014 will do well to change that.

LizardonX

Banned
I don't own a Wii U, but I've played some games on it and would probably give it to Assassin' Creed IV Black Flag or 3Dland.

Torpoleon

Can't believe I forgot to put Wind Waker HD as an option! Not surprised to see most people voting for 3D World.

KillerDraco

3D World or Pikmin 3 are the obvious choices. Wind Waker HD is just a remake, so I don't really include it, personally. The other games, such as Wonderful 101, NintendoLand, New Super Mario Bros. U, etc. were all good games, but not great games.

...That said I tend to look at the exclusives only, since those are the reasons you buy the console.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Rayman Legends.

I feel that SM3DW is overrated. It's a good platformer no doubt, but it doesn't hold a candle to the legacy of its predecessors. 64 started the 3D Mario series and was good from the gate. Sunshine had a gimmick that you could love or hate but it provided an interesting setting and gameplay. The Galaxies are the most innovative modern platformers and are nearly flawless. SM3DW just felt like a 2D game with an expanded point of view.

I liked Rayman Legend's beautiful graphics and its decent diversity.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
I don't physically own a Wii U yet, but I played it at a friends house and I gotta say, I really liked Sonic Lost World. I know a lot of people didn't like it but I found it really easy to pick up and play. I haven't had this much fun with a sonic game since....Unleashed? Possibly Shadow. [Because yes unlike popular belief I actually had fun with that game...well...the story was **** but I still had fun with it.]

Pikmin really isn't my thing, I can get wind waker from the gamecube, and I really don't see anything in any of the other games that makes me want a Wii U. I'm waiting for Smash bros 4 till I get one, but Lost World almost made me want one till I beat it at my friends.

Aurath8

Super Mario 3D World is great, but I found that sometimes the difficulty curve would go up by miles and then go back to being easy. I just finished the water world and am loving it.

It seems those difficulty spikes are mostly centred around levels that need a Green Star quota to unlock (not including Castles). At least for me. Otherwise the difficulty is fairly consistent.

I feel that SM3DW is overrated. It's a good platformer no doubt, but it doesn't hold a candle to the legacy of its predecessors. 64 started the 3D Mario series and was good from the gate. Sunshine had a gimmick that you could love or hate but it provided an interesting setting and gameplay. The Galaxies are the most innovative modern platformers and are nearly flawless. SM3DW just felt like a 2D game with an expanded point of view.

To be fair, said predecessors are amongst the best experiences in gaming ever. I swear Galaxy is the highest rated game ever on Metacritic. That's a very tough act to follow, and though it's no Galaxy it is very fun to play.
I'd agree with you if this was about 3d Land rather than 3d World, but the latter has better visuals, better power-ups a better difficulty and enough diversity to make each level a surprise.

And on that note Super Mario 3D World is my GOTY. It kinda has to be as I've owned a Wii U for all of 6 days since Christmas day. Still, while it indeed doesn't measure up to Galaxy it is a good game in its own right and a large improvement over 3D land.

TheEliteEmpoleon

For me its a close call between SM3DW and Pikmin 3. They are both great games, but for me Pikmin 3 was better. I just like it more than 3DW.

Cloneydew2000

WildScraggyAppeared!
It seems those difficulty spikes are mostly centred around levels that need a Green Star quota to unlock (not including Castles). At least for me. Otherwise the difficulty is fairly consistent.

I agree, but I found that some of these levels in the earlier worlds that need to be unlocked like this are much harder than levels in later worlds.
For example, World 3-2, Chain-Link Challenge (my least favourite level so far, im on World ) was EXTREMELY ragey for me. I found that it was a very tedious level. All I can say is that from what I've heard, World Star will be great, so I think it's ok that there are a few iffy levels because there are so many great ones to make up for it.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Nothing really stood out for me this year- we only got 2 Wii U games (Disney Planes which is absolute crap and Wind Waker HD, which is boring if you have completed the original)..

Next year should be much better though with SSB 4, Hyrule Warriors, Shin Megami x Fire Emblem etc.

Last edited:

Aurath8

I agree, but I found that some of these levels in the earlier worlds that need to be unlocked like this are much harder than levels in later worlds.
For example, World 3-2, Chain-Link Challenge (my least favourite level so far, im on World ) was EXTREMELY ragey for me. I found that it was a very tedious level. All I can say is that from what I've heard, World Star will be great, so I think it's ok that there are a few iffy levels because there are so many great ones to make up for it.

I guess the unlockable levels are just a way of saying 'this is for expert players', hence why they need the Green Star quota when no other normal levels do. Chain-Link Challenge isn't too bad if you have the Catsuit though.

Predictions for 2014: Super Smash Brothers Wii U. Sakurai has promised to aim to release the game in 2014 iirc, and I have spent more time on Brawl than any other game in my 4ish year history. 770 hours at my last check. If you don't count my second HG playthrough that's more than all my pokemon games (6) combined.