• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your First Pokemon cards

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
180px-AncientMewThePowerofOnepromo.jpg

Perhaps you were intrigued by the artwork of a booster pack? Maybe you saw a theme deck that featured a particular Pokemon you like? Maybe you got a promotional card at a movie? Perhaps you were out in the school yard and were given a common card no one wanted. Whatever the case, discuss your first promotional card, first booster pack, first theme deck, very first Pokemon cards in-general.

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
My 1st card ever was Ancient Mew. Funny fact, when I took a look at the pic from the OP, the holo marks on that Ancient Mew seems identical to my card's :) But I do not put so much saturation in scans unless the color is really dull. Other cards I got afterwards were cards given with the DVDs of both Warner and Miramax. It wasn't until 2006 that I started buying cards for real, sometimes in bulk.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
My first set of cards was a booster pack from Blockbuster. Still have them and haven't looked back. My first cards from it were a foil Pidgeot and a foil Vileplume.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
My first cards were from Jungle and then they got stolen a few months later. Which made upset because I had a Holo Wigglytuff and I loved that card. Everyone was trying to get me to trade it but I refused. I think I was offered cards like Machamp which would not have been that good of a trade considering how easy it was to get multiples simply by buying the Starter Kit, a Mewtwo, And I think even Zapdos.

xSweetSlayerx

Card Collector
My first cards were actually the Topps cards. XD Which, I finally obtained the last of the original 151 TV Animation Pokémon cards, just yesterday. :p

The Topps cards are what started my 20-year-long card collecting hobby, but of course the normal TCG followed quickly, after that. Not sure what my first promo was. Might have been the original Mewtwo promo or a Base Set Pikachu from E3.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Not sure what my first promo was. Might have been the original Mewtwo promo or a Base Set Pikachu from E3.
My first Pokemon card was definitely that Pikachu from E3.

I believe my first set was that Machamp-Charizard starter set/deck. I think.

The first cards I got were actually spares my friends gave me during the pokemon craze. Mostly common and uncommon ones. My parents didn't have much money to spare back then so they couldn't really buy us cards, yet both my sis and me had a pretty decent pile of them by trading with others.

A few years back I decided I wanted to complete the first 3 sets (base, jungle and fossil) excluding trainer cards and energy cards, because of nostalgia. Which I did a year or 2 ago. Been thinking about getting the Rocket and both Gym Leader sets too but most of my budget for collection stuff goes to figures nowadays.

xSweetSlayerx

Card Collector
the pokemon craze

What a time to be alive, am I right?
A few years back I decided I wanted to complete the first 3 sets (base, jungle and fossil) excluding trainer cards and energy cards, because of nostalgia. Which I did a year or 2 ago. Been thinking about getting the Rocket and both Gym Leader sets too but most of my budget for collection stuff goes to figures nowadays.

In recent years I tried collecting Base Set through Skridge (also sans trainer cards), since I love the old art work of Gen 1 and 2, and boy has it been hard finding Gym Heros/Challenge cards, let alone at a cheep price. Furthermore, first editions of those cards. I think Team Rocket might be just as hard too.

VoltTacklePikachu

yah Eevee Rocks !
My first Pokemon card was Machop from the base set from someone I knew around about 2000 think he gave it to me because my mum at the time was being a bit Sexist saying Pokemon is for boys,though later that year I got the base starter set as a present from my mum.

Next year my first booster pack was that of Neo Destiny which my Mum bought me. My love of Umbreon probably came from this cos Umbreon was on the cover on one of the booster pack designs.

I still have all my cards and still buy some packs and cards occasionally.Really like the artwork on the newer sets.

Leonhart

Imagineer
My first Pokemon TCG card was an English Pikachu card. I think it was the one from the Jungle expansion set that has Ken Sugimori artwork. I ended up trading it for a Ghost (Haunter) card a few days later, however.

Leonhart

Imagineer
juiccbox said:
My first Pokémon card was given to me by a classmate in kindergarten, it was a shuppet. I still have the exact same card, here it is

6Ldrj8C.jpg

I feel old just looking at this card, because whenever I picture what someone's first Pokemon card might be, I envision the earlier cards from the first couple of sets. So seeing this card from 2009 makes me realize just how long the TCG has been active.

juiccbox

Idiot Extraordinaire
I feel old just looking at this card, because whenever I picture what someone's first Pokemon card might be, I envision the earlier cards from the first couple of sets. So seeing this card from 2009 makes me realize just how long the TCG has been active.
Yeah, definitely. I’m a part of the younger generation (I got into Pokémon when gen 4 was just getting started) but it’s really cool because the Pokémon tcg is still very much alive with kids. My mom is a kindergarten teacher and she says she still sees kids with cards all the time. Someone’s first card could be a scorbunny these days.

takadakeyo

My first card was also a card my friend gave me! it was a base set blastoise back in 1998. It was folded and terrible condition but I loved it and now I cant get enough cards haha

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I got a Serperior and Radiant Collection Gardevoir in a Legendary Treasures pack back in 2013. I love that set.