• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your First Pokemon cards

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
My first Pokémon cards weren't from the trading card game; they were Artbox's Pokémon Action Flipz (Premier Edition.) These were small ~1.5" tiles with a lenticular image of a Pokémon & its evolved form on the front. They were fun. Sure, there wasn't a game for them, but they were neat to look at, & I didn't know how to play the TCG anyway. We may still have 'em somewhere.

Later, maybe that Christmas, my grandparents game us a pack of the TCG cards. And still later, when everyone was throwing out their cards, I was able to buy hundreds of them at a time, a dollar a page, $5 a box, etc.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
My first Pokémon cards weren't from the trading card game; they were Artbox's Pokémon Action Flipz (Premier Edition.) These were small ~1.5" tiles with a lenticular image of a Pokémon & its evolved form on the front. They were fun. Sure, there wasn't a game for them, but they were neat to look at, & I didn't know how to play the TCG anyway. We may still have 'em somewhere.
I’ve got some of those too. They were all of the Pokémon found in Hoenn, right? I think I have about half of them.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
This was ‘98 or ‘99; they had about 40 different Kanto Pokemon pairs. There was a later edition, still with Kanto Pokemon, still from ‘99 or ‘00 with 3 Pokemon per card.

Lamb751

My first Pokemon card was Machop from the base set from someone I knew around about 2000 think he gave it to me because my mum at the time was being a bit Sexist saying Pokemon is for boys,though later that year I got the base starter set as a present from my mum.

Next year my first booster pack was that of Neo Destiny which my Mum bought me. My love of Umbreon probably came from this cos Umbreon was on the cover on one of the booster pack designs.

I still have all my mewtwo pokemon card and still buy some packs and cards occasionally.Really like the artwork on the newer sets.
The first card I received was a Japanese Blaine's Rhyhorn. It was the first day of third grade, and everyone had gathered to show off their collections and trade. They arranged the desks in a U shape to resemble vendor stalls, and everyone walked around looking through each other's binders.

I enjoyed the anime that I watched on 4kids, but I was unfamiliar with the card game. I was disappointed because I didn't get an allowance, so I'd have to wait until my birthday to get cards.

As I'm going through these binders, one of the kids asks if I want to trade anything. He simply handed me a Japanese Blaine's Rhyhorn after I explained my situation. I was told to keep it.

Humuskk1

The first card I received was a Japanese Blaine's Rhyhorn. It was the first day of third grade, and everyone had gathered to show off their collections and trade. They arranged the desks in a U shape to resemble vendor stalls, and everyone walked around looking through each other's binders.

I enjoyed the anime that I watched on 4kids, but I was unfamiliar with the card game. I was disappointed because I didn't get an allowance, so I'd have to wait until my birthday to get cards.

As I'm going through these binders, one of the kids asks if I want to trade anything. He simply handed me a Japanese Blaine's Rhyhorn after I explained my situation. I was told to keep it.
My first card is mewtwo pokemon card, I'm not sure what set it came from, but it's very special to me. Some of you may be wondering why. Because (FlAsHbAcK noIses) my aunt once asked me, "Do ye know what a pokemon is?" I said no, and she proceeded to show me pictures and pictures and pictures of them. I was completely enthralled.... What exactly was Pokemon? The next school day, I asked if anyone had anything "pokemonish" they could give me. (Ik Ik, that sounds strange and off) Anyway, someone did give me something, and it was a Pokemon card. When I read the name, it said 'Registeel,' and I had no idea what it meant until I looked up the golem of silver!

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
A holo G1 Mewtwo. didn't know that he was rare since i only started on a few cards and the TV shows. Never owned the first era of games.