• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your first unexpected random shiny?!

My First unexpected shiny was a makuhita. Granite Cave R/S/E
ran into two, ran away from one, then decided to catch the 2nd. I was little so i thought they were just random makuhita.

Evil X

Ruler of all evil
My first shiny encountered was a shiny caterpie in Fire Red. I was completely not expecting, since I was looking for a pikachu. The second shiny I encountered was a shiny torchic in emerald, but my ***** batery died and I did not save! :(

Stale

i never got one in 4th gen. :( my first, however, was a torchic on my first playthrough of ruby like 7 years ago. i don't know that i've even run into a shiny since.

natie

Mr. F
A Psyduck, in Pokémon Pearl. I traded it with SkittyOnWailord because I didn't like it. :p

Shiny_Lugia

Shiny Hunter
Mine was a Plusle in my Pearl game. It was funny because I was looking for a regular Plusle for my pokedex and the first Plusle I come across was shiny.^^
But my first ever shiny was a Unown D in my LG and a Tentacool/Tentacruel in my Emerald game.

Last edited:

Eclipsed soul

Houndour Trainer
In thousands of hours of gameplay since the shiny mechanic was released, I've only randomly encountered one shiny. A shiny I was joking about on the forum that I bet my first one ever be.

Unown.

I was just running around looking for my missing letters for seals for my capsules, and it popped up. I was so angry at first because I really was hoping to get something different...and I had a gut feeling I was going to run into one.

Haven't seen a shiny since then, besides my SR Chikorita I received in about only 10 minutes of work.

dragoniteKnight

Pose as a team
a wurmple that i traded to a friend for a non shiny totadile. it was worth it.

found it whilst walking out of the forest in emerald so for shits and giggles looking at what i could find in there...(that or looking for a slakoth, honestly i cant recall)

lemonadee

Tangy Beverage
I was just making my way through a cave in Platinum, and I came across a shiny bronzong. i was so delighted to find it~. :3

Calm PokeMaster

My first shiny was a Whismur on a re-run of Ruby. I accidentally started a new one though :(

Iristle

I make no sense
Mine was a shiny wingull I found on the route before Lilycove in Emerald.

I was pretty scared that it wouldn't go in the last ball I had, but it did.
I think it's on my platinum file now.

Purple_BlitzXD

♥Heart of Ice♥
My first shiny was a Gastly in Crystal version...
'twas quite random, considering I didnt know what shinies were at the time...I thought something was wrong with my game D: lol

LexSuicune

Feraligatr Master
^When I found my first shiny it was a zubat in Silver, and I didn't even notice it was shiny until I transfered it to Pokemon Stadium and it popped up GREEN and I was like WTF!

BigDaddy D

You're on thin ice
Im pretty sure my first was geodude in diamond, which I named pyrite, cuz he's like foools gold. but my favorite was when I was breeding milotic with magic coat. I wanted modest with 31 spec. atk. IVs, but then I found the shiny feebas and just kept him.

Harreh

Mine was a random slowpoke in LG, Mewtwo's cave... lost it when I restarted my file though :(

Second was a Torchic from SRing in Emerald, and now 4 hours into SS I found a shiny Ekans while training just outside Azalea! :)

artbomber_97

Ultimate Aritist
When I was playing Ruby (a couple of years ago), I suddenly ran on a shiny Chinchou while diving underwater. I killed it cuz I didn't know what it was. >.>