• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your first unexpected random shiny?!

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
First one was in Emerald, but I didn't know shininess was a good thing so I deleted it, so I guess that doesn't count. I had two random shiny encounters n HG, a shiny Chingling in the safari zone that ran away(AAAAAAAARRRRGGGH), and a shiny Chatot a month later, which is currently my only legit shiny(excluding the dogs).

Musician-Liberace

Master entertainer
Definitely the shiny Magikarp I found in the Safari Zone.

I sure didn't feel lucky!! Anyone but Magikarp, eh? I called it "RIDICULOUS" in caps. I found a shiny Ursaring prior to that. I was very pleased with that.

GhostTypeBuster

Rocket Defector
My only random shinies were a green Grimer in the cinnabar mansion of LeafGreen, and a blueish Skitty in Pearl. The Grimer was so exciting to me, but the only ball I had was the MasterBall, so I had to waste it. The Skitty I caught in a GreatBall, and traded away.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
My first two random shinies, both zubats, in fire red and ruby......I caught them, but had no clue what shinies were and I remember thinking why the hell are they green?! So I forgot about them and lost them once I resetted the games.

The first and only random shiny I actually recognised as such, is my beloved Venomoth, met in fire red in the SAFARI ZONE while i was looking for a damn Tauros. Two miracles happened that day. 1, I encountered it. 2, it didn't run away, but I caught it! :D

EchoEcho

eye laws dug aim.
"wild graveler appeared!" it was shiny, so i threw a master ball and caught it. i thought it would use explosion so i immediately caught it. ^-^
that's 4th gen though. i ran into a shiny shroomish, ralts, and started with a shiny torchic all on my ruby. back then i didn't know what a shiny was... so i killed them all. and reset my game when i got the torchic, because it was female and i wanted a male one xD

it wasn't worth the 39 exp.

LexSuicune

Feraligatr Master
I never ran into a shiny on Gen III.

Ran into a Green Zubat on Silver and a bunch of shinies in Platinum/Soul Silver.

But never on Gen III T_T

My first unexpected shiny was a Sneasel in SoulSilver. It was a female Sneasel, and I love it! Good thing I had a spare master ball to catch it... (I was too lazy to normally catch it with a Pokeball or anything "lower" than a master ball.)

Infectious

<('-'<)
I think I saw a shiny bidoof lol. But I was trying to go somewhere and I was hardly paying attention to the screen, so I ran.

Pokeman1234

What a mess...
I think it was a shiny ponyta.

Sarawr

Slightly Corrupted
I've only ever randomly encountered one shiny, and that was earlier this morning. I was playing Leaf Green & in the Safari Zone fishing for some dratini. Suddenly a shiny dratini appeared, however it fled before I could capture it.

manniezmoll

I'm a girl, dangit!
1st shiny was a purugly in pearl. i was just walking around looking for nighttime bugs, & just about wet myself when i saw the sparkles...since then, i've found a starly, a shellos, & a rhydon that i traded to someone...

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
I've played Pokemon all my life and never ONCE encountered a shiny except the Red Gyrados at Lake Rage (Who doesn't count IMO)... Until today. I went into the dark cave in SoulSilver thinking "Today's the day I'm FINALLY going to encounter a shiny." And there it was, after several battles, I found a shiny Zubat. I caught it, cuddled it, and named it George. ...Actually, I named it Lucky after the fact that finding a shiny is "lucky." And that was the first legit shiny I ever found.

FiremanLV5

Omg guys, I was surfing round at the Lake of Rage, and I found a shiny Gyarados just swimming around! I was soooo shocked, I must be really lucky!

loljk first shiny I found in 4th gen was a Weedle in my SoulSilver (now a Beedrill). And the other day, April 1st actually (lol), I found a shiny Bellsprout on my HeartGold.

iWantShinys

my first was in fire red, i was in a cave nd ran into a lvl 12 green zubat and i had no clue what a shiny even was so my first reaction was literally WTF! and now that lvl 12 green zubat is a lvl 86 pink crobat in my white version :). Still havent RE'd any other shinys yet

iWantShinys

my first was in fire red, i was in a cave nd ran into a lvl 12 green zubat and i had no clue what a shiny even was so my first reaction was literally WTF! and now that lvl 12 green zubat is a lvl 86 pink crobat in my white version :). Still havent RE'd any other shinys yet

EvolutionMaster000

Water Master
my first was in leafgreen. it was that eevee that u get for free in celadon city. i still have the jolteon.

Corbulo

= Hydro Cannon
Shiny was a Spearow from a headbutt tree in genII, i failed to catch tho.
Then it was a Rattata in leafgreen which i manage to catch.
and about two weeks ago i found a shiny Bronzor and i was stoked because they are green and i captured it.