• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your future Career.

ebevan91

I'm probably going to major in Psychology or Business. I haven't decided yet :/

What field in business? There are a lot of fields. I'm in Computer/Management Information Systems.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Haha, I'm actually leaning towards psychology more! Thank you :)

You are very welcome. I have been studying the subject since junior high, and I have loved all of it.

Ninfia-Fan

I want to become a vet/zoologist (haven't decided yet). To do this, I'll have to go to a place over 600km away to get the veterinary degree, then head to a place close to home to finish off regular degrees in maths, science, English and other good subjects. Maybe Biology as well.

Shadow of Umbreon

Waiting for Y
Graduated high school in 2009. Did not ever plan on going to college. Especially with them student loans reports, I am glad i never went. :)

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Planning on becoming a Psychologist. Its fun analyzing the minds of people and how they shape up as they grow. To see their personalities in a deeper way <.> :p

ebevan91

I want to become a vet/zoologist (haven't decided yet). To do this, I'll have to go to a place over 600km away to get the veterinary degree, then head to a place close to home to finish off regular degrees in maths, science, English and other good subjects. Maybe Biology as well.

Zoology or marine biology was something I wanted to do when I was younger but I don't live in a good area for that. Especially marine biology.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Planning on becoming a Psychologist. Its fun analyzing the minds of people and how they shape up as they grow. To see their personalities in a deeper way <.> :p

I approve of this post.
Seriously though, psychology is a great subject to study :p I love analyzing people as well.

Pansy :]

anustart
It honestly changes every six months, but lately I've been pretty set on wanting to be a veterinarian. But I know it's a really difficult career, and although it (feels like it) will be a billion years until I even have a real career, and alot could change in the meantime, I've never really been a very studious person. I'm not sure I would be very good at it, or any other important job for that matter. But I have quite a while before I have to decide on anything (I think).

I approve of this post.
Seriously though, psychology is a great subject to study :p I love analyzing people as well.
Not to bag on psychology at all, but I have always looked at it as a curious field of study. I try to be as objective, logic-driven person as I can be at all times, and psychology being difficult to verify objectively, I never looked at it with any interest.

I enjoy philosophy, which is a study of the human condition in many ways, so I tend to view psychology similarly. Is it a bad comparison?

Pansy :];16281031 said:
...(L)ately I've been pretty set on wanting to be a veterinarian. But I know it's a really difficult career, and although it (feels like it) will be a billion years until I even have a real career, and alot could change in the meantime, I've never really been a very studious person.
If you do choose to go down this path, know that your work will be appreciated. Don't think for a moment that what you are doing doing mean something profound to someone somewhere.

My cat has been and to a degree still is in pain from bladder sediment build-up, and I have had the pleasure of getting to know a man selfless enough to get up from his supper and tend to my pet. I don't become attached to anything very much or very quickly, but my cat... my cat is one of those things that I absolutely won't give up, no matter the price. As a vet, you can help protect those things precious to others, and that's a worthy field to commit yourself to.

Sounds a bit corny and melodramatic, but it is true. Take that into consideration.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Not to bag on psychology at all, but I have always looked at it as a curious field of study. I try to be as objective, logic-driven person as I can be at all times, and psychology being difficult to verify objectively, I never looked at it with any interest.

I enjoy philosophy, which is a study of the human condition in many ways, so I tend to view psychology similarly. Is it a bad comparison?

I see your point, but I cannot completely agree. First, I respect your viewpoint, and acknowledge that it is yours in which to believe. Now, I am a VERY objective, logic-driven person, and I have studied much into the complexities of psychology. I recognize that psychology largely draws on the emotions of others, but as the one perpetuating their experiences, I see the facts and statements clearly through my logic-based psychological lens.
I see it as much different than philosophy, seeing as philosophy is more in relation to personal beliefs, like religion or ethics, (which can all be studied with psychology. I see psychology as more of a study than just observation. I have been reading the works of the great psychologists and psychiatrists throughout history, and have studied their ethical and moral viewpoints.
Overall, I can see the differences between psychology and philosophy as VERY distinct. One deals with personal ethics/beliefs, while the other studies why/how these feelings, among others, arise.

I see your point, but I cannot completely agree. First, I respect your viewpoint, and acknowledge that it is yours in which to believe. Now, I am a VERY objective, logic-driven person, and I have studied much into the complexities of psychology. I recognize that psychology largely draws on the emotions of others, but as the one perpetuating their experiences, I see the facts and statements clearly through my logic-based psychological lens.
Overall, I can see the differences between psychology and philosophy as VERY distinct. One deals with personal ethics/beliefs, while the other studies why/how these feelings, among others, arise.
Might help (for me) to study psychology a little, huh? (Edit: Came off belligerent, didn't mean to)
Never even looked into it, so the viewpoint is informative. With your input, it helps me understand the differences much better. Philosophy studies the nature and existence of moral, existential, political, and logical imperatives, while psychology gives input on what these actually are, how they affect people, and what the implications of these effects might have.

Simplified a bit too much, but I think I have a better understanding now. My only exposure to the field or proponents thereof has been insubstantial; I was going to joke and say my only experience has come via TV special.

Last edited:

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Might help to study psychology a little, huh? Never even looked into it, so the viewpoint is informative. With your input, it helps me understand the differences much better. Philosophy studies the nature and existence of moral, existential, political, and logical viewpoints, while psychology gives input on what these actually are, how they affect people, and what the implications of these effects might have.

Simplified a bit too much, but I think I have a better understanding now. My only exposure to the field or proponents thereof has been insubstantial; I was going to joke and say my only experience has come via TV special.

I am glad to have been of help. I see your exposure has been minimal, and that is understandable. I, on the other hand, have been studying the subject for over 17 years. (I am actually in grad school; I return this week). If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :).
And yes, I oversimplified it a bit, just to make sure you got the point.

orochi

Go for it Leafy!

As for me, I'll be in entertainment such as Animation and/or game design. It's hard to choose just one -_______-. But I will make my imagination come to life either way! I got the mind, hands, eyes, and brain for it >:3

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Oarfish, I'd like to say I enjoyed reading your perspective on Psychology versus Philosophy and your knowledge of how both fields are used. Although I am not going into either subject area as a career, I am deeply interested in both, largely because of how they relate to one another as you described.

As far as what I'd like my future career to be, I am currently planning on teaching Art classes in high school. This is somewhat daunting to me, as I was - and to an extent, still am - a shy individual, but the more I look into how the public school system works and what students are getting out of their classes, the more I want to get in there and do something about it, even if I can only change what goes on inside my own classroom.

Additionally, I was somewhat disappointed with the art classes I took in high school, feeling personally they were often abused by students and little emphasis was made on art as a whole, instead focusing on specific objectives such as teaching students to draw one way. Ideally, were I to be an art teacher I would love to focus on different aspects of art aside from simply drawing, looking at for example the impact of art in fashion, game design, advertising, and so on, while applying that to whatever hands-on drawing or design we'd be doing in the classroom. I'm curious if an approach like that may alter the current "I can't draw, therefor I dislike drawing" mindset many high-school students seem to have, especially if they are only taking the class for credit and aren't actually interested in drawing or painting specifically. Of course, I'm also aware that this is going to be difficult, as students are hardly angels. We will see how things go as I progress through the program and get more experience~

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Oarfish, I'd like to say I enjoyed reading your perspective on Psychology versus Philosophy and your knowledge of how both fields are used. Although I am not going into either subject area as a career, I am deeply interested in both, largely because of how they relate to one another as you described.

As far as what I'd like my future career to be, I am currently planning on teaching Art classes in high school. This is somewhat daunting to me, as I was - and to an extent, still am - a shy individual, but the more I look into how the public school system works and what students are getting out of their classes, the more I want to get in there and do something about it, even if I can only change what goes on inside my own classroom.

Additionally, I was somewhat disappointed with the art classes I took in high school, feeling personally they were often abused by students and little emphasis was made on art as a whole, instead focusing on specific objectives such as teaching students to draw one way. Ideally, were I to be an art teacher I would love to focus on different aspects of art aside from simply drawing, looking at for example the impact of art in fashion, game design, advertising, and so on, while applying that to whatever hands-on drawing or design we'd be doing in the classroom. I'm curious if an approach like that may alter the current "I can't draw, therefor I dislike drawing" mindset many high-school students seem to have, especially if they are only taking the class for credit and aren't actually interested in drawing or painting specifically. Of course, I'm also aware that this is going to be difficult, as students are hardly angels. We will see how things go as I progress through the program and get more experience~

I am glad that you appreciate my viewpoints on such subjects :D.
On to yours....
I am shy as well, but do not let that stop you. Teaching is a great choice, and art is a wonderful topic. Just because your own experiences were not ideal does not mean that your future ones will be as well. Take comfort in your knowledge and feel free to do what you want. If you believe you can, you will do what you want. Especially in a subject such as art, where people can be themselves.
I applaud you in your efforts, and am glad that you have a plan :).

Noctali

Umbreon
I have no idea what I officially want to be.
Right now I just work part time and also model as a hobby (though it's becoming a "paying hobby" lately). I doubt I will model for the rest of my life, or at least if I do, it's not going to be my official career.
I've been considering looking into becoming a veterinary assistant, but I'm not set on anything yet.