• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Least Favorite Gen?

What is your least favorite Pokemon generation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blasting Toise

Gen V- so I agree with majority. It was kinda dumb that no old pokes were available before beating the game- also graphics were actually worse than in gen IV. Most new pokemon in that gen were more like redesigns of existing ones (there are some original pokemon that i like though, like Joltik, Venipede, Blitzle...). Also no contests anymore and not so interesting legendaries IMO. Still gen 5 had lots of nice stuff and I liked the story better than in previous gens (especially gen 2 had such a weak story).

Of course gen 1 is weakest of all generations but it was the first generation so I cannot say it was the worst- that's just odd IMO to judge it atferwards.

Orithan

Of course gen 1 is weakest of all generations but it was the first generation so I cannot say it was the worst- that's just odd IMO to judge it atferwards.

Age doesn't automatically exclude a game from being labeled the "worst". This logic is flawed, especially in regard to Gen I. Here is a list of problems Gen I had, which apply for it's time:

• The Psychic type was horrendously overpowered. Psychic had a wide selection of viable and powerful moves, had zero resists outside itself, only one weakness which happened to be easily the weakest type in the game and all of it's STAB users can easily abuse it.
  • Critical hits were tied to speed, making fast pokemon like Alakazam even more stupidly OP because they were able to get off an alarming number of critical hits.
  • Wrap stopped the target from being able to move or switched out. This was flat out broken because fast pokemon and Agility users like Dragonite could spam it all day long to kill anything that were not ghosts (Read: Gengar) with ease.
  • Many types; especially Dragon, Bug and Ghost, had no viable attacking moves while many others, like Grass and Poison, had a limited number of viable attacking moves. Add the fact that Bug was Psychic's only weakness to this and you have another reason why Psychic was broken. This was also pretty bad in Gen II.
  • The attack categories are determined by their type and not the move itself. A LOT of pokemon were crippled by what types they were because many were of types not supported by their stats as a result. This includes and is not limited to: Flareon, Dragonite and Arbok. This hasn't improved until Gen IV introduced the Physical/Special split.
  • The Special stat caused plenty of issues regarding to balance. Powerful special attackers would automatically have high Special Defense while physical attackers would have inherently lower Special Defense because they have a low Special stat.
  • Any move with 100 base Accuracy had a 1 in 256 chance of missing.
  • Focus Energy cut your Critical Hit ratio to 1/4th of what it normally was instead of doubling it.

Last edited:

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
Well I like Them All but...

1st: Introduction to Team Rocket/Silph Co.
2nd: Team Rocket Returns/Mahogany/Playing through Kanto Again :)
3rd:Teams with actually decent Objectives/Goals
4th: Team Galactics Objectives/Goals/Cynthia Best Champion/Legendarys/Music
5th: Story Line Is Amazing/Ghetsis
6th: Graphics/Fairy Type (Im a sucker for fairies)

So in Conclusion I Love all but Gen 1 Was kimited so Gen 1 was worse but there was a good reason. :)

Tonguetyd

voltorb flip and pokeathlon just made things worse with the hg/ss remakes.

Though Voltorb flip isn't bad on its own, just it replacing the old game room is the problem. Meanwhile, Pokeathlon is just a waste of time.

Voltorb Flip's easily the best minigame of them all, and the old games had to be replaced because of censorship. And it's completely optional.
Pokeathlon, on the other hand, is the best thing since sliced bread if you compare it to the Super Contests. And it's completely optional.
I don't think two optional minigames made the best Pokemon remakes "worse".
Besides, most of the stupid trainer levels are removed in HG/SS.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Voltorb Flip's easily the best minigame of them all, and the old games had to be replaced because of censorship. And it's completely optional.
Pokeathlon, on the other hand, is the best thing since sliced bread if you compare it to the Super Contests. And it's completely optional.
I don't think two optional minigames made the best Pokemon remakes "worse".
Besides, most of the stupid trainer levels are removed in HG/SS.

Like i said Voltorb Flip isnt bad on its own.

and yes Pokeathlon is optional, after they drag you to it your first time. its just as bad as them forcing you to do Pokestar Studios in b2/w2.

Also, i prefered contests over musicals/pokeathlon/Pokestar Studios.

changing Trainer Levels doesnt change the fact that if i want to use any late game pokemon, i have to level it up 20+ levels to match my team at that time. Thats changed to 40+ levels if i want to use a Wild Kanto pokemon like Houndour.

Just because you think Johto is the best doesnt mean i have to.

For me it goes FR/LG = R/S/E > D/P/P = X/Y > B2/W2 > B/W > HG/SS

AcidArmor

I like XY but I'm not too fond of the pokemon (or lack thereof). I wasn't too pleased with gen 4 either.

8ther

For me its a tie between Gen I and II (not counting their remake) both bland regions, horribly outdated and complete unbalanced. Honesty how can anyone say that Gen 4, 5, or 6 the worse generations when these two exist?

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
For me its a tie between Gen I and II (not counting their remake) both bland regions, horribly outdated and complete unbalanced. Honesty how can anyone say that Gen 4, 5, or 6 the worse generations when these two exist?
Yeah,Kanto is a pretty bland region(and I'm not blinded by nostalgia)but at least it is not as linear and boring as Unova,the setting of Generation V games.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

5 and 6 are worse for several reasons, there's the linear region design that KyogreThunder brought up, lower difficulty than other games, removal of fan favorite features, 6th gen has the EXP system and XY's lack of replay value going for it. 1st and 2nd gen may have been a bit bland, but it's easier to forgive them for their flaws if you take their age into consideration, they were good games for their time. Whereas 5th and 6th gen's flaws are a result of some very unpopular, intentional design decisions.

ninjaethan

Konnichiwa ~!
Gen 4
& by gen 4 I mean HG/SS
The Levels was too high especially Red's, there was hardly anything to do in Kanto, & I really wished the LV's of wild Pokemon's was way higher in Kanto, not LV 30's
I kinda wished it was like B/W2 postgame

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Gen 4
& by gen 4 I mean HG/SS
The Levels was too high especially Red's, there was hardly anything to do in Kanto, & I really wished the LV's of wild Pokemon's was way higher in Kanto, not LV 30's
I kinda wished it was like B/W2 postgame

All of those problems existed in 2nd gen as well, you know, HGSS are just remakes of 2nd gen games.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Sadly first it was amazing at its time but the competitive rooster was quite narrow iutside of the 4 legends i only remember freeze hax parahax starmie explosions left and rigth and bindwrap hyperbeam shennanigans.

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
Well 5th gen had the best storyline definitely 4th gen had the best music. Worst would have to be gen 1 kanto was so boring but it was the first game so it has an excuse.

Ti4558

I have to be honest the 5th gen wasn't that enjoyable for me so I'm going to have to say gen 5.

xDarkNeko

I don't hate any of the generations (even though I was meh with Gen 1) but I'm going with Gen 5. It had a good storyline but the game is kinda boring to me and I wasn't interested. >_<

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Oh yeah, the changes to TMs and HMs were good, I was talking more about things like nerfing the region design and removing gameplay features.
Reusable TMs were cool,but what was the point of replacing some of the best moves(such as Roost and Dragon Pulse) with useless ones(Incinerate and Struggle Bug were awful in Generation V)?
Surf and Waterfall are the best Water-type moves,so there is absolutely no excuse for the lack of water routes in Unova.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Reusable TMs were cool,but what was the point of replacing some of the best moves(such as Roost and Dragon Pulse) with useless ones(Incinerate and Struggle Bug were awful in Generation V)?

That's a good point, but swapping out certain TMs isn't really a huge gameplay change, so that's beside the point. But yes, the TM choices in 5th gen were god awful

Surf and Waterfall are the best Water-type moves,so there is absolutely no excuse for the lack of water routes in Unova.

Not everyone has a Water type, and not every Water type can use both physical and special attacks very well. Forcing you to use particular moves on your team to progress is a really stupid idea, that's one change in the region design that I think was needed. Now I don't think that was the best solution to the problem, but it's an acceptable one.

Status
Not open for further replies.