• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Least Favorite Gen?

What is your least favorite Pokemon generation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Easily gen 1 imo. It really didn't have anything to offer after beating the elite 4 and the champion, while the other generations had at least some form of a side quest.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
Generation II didn't make much of an impact on me, since I went from Ruby to Red then to Pearl.
But I wouldn't say it's the worst. I do dislike the bad level curve, which is an unfortunate side-effect of having multiple pathways to take.

ECM

Generation V for me. Even though the story was much better, I prefer the Pokémon from other generations. Still amazing, but not as enjoyable for myself as all the other gens.

I must say though, if not for HG/SS, then it would've been a much tougher choice for me between Gens IV and V.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Generation 6, but it's only because I think Pokémon X (and Y) is the worst game in the series.

When I first played the game, I used to hate it. But even though I still do hate some things about it, I won't deny the fact that Generation 6 has introduced some great Pokémon.

There really is no generation I hate, but Gen 6 is my least favorite. Team Flare is such an awful crime organization.

Amaan

Banned
Gen 1... I guess. They're all good, none of the are actually BAD

Gen2>Gen6>Gen5>Gen3>Gen4>Gen1

!jirachi!

3/4 dead...
I didn't really like gen 2 idk why but the pokemon just seemed a lot less creative than the first gen..
but then we got gen 5 XD

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I find the question Worse generation too vague and misleading, as it doesn't ask how they are worse. Personally I enjoy all generation and feel that each one brings there own mechanic to the table, however that doesn't mean that each of the generations aren't without their flaws but just that those flaws just don't bother me too much.

Arvis

Wow, quite a bit of hate for Gen 5. Personally I liked Gen 4 the least, I don't hate it, it's just my least favorite.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Generation 5. I got bored with it way to fast. It used to be Generation 3 that I liked least, but Gen 5 beat it.
From best to worst for Platinum fan.
1. Kalos/Gen 6: My new favorite Pokemon generation. I love this generation and it's fun despite the low number of new Pokemon and the weak Team Flare. Gen 6 is a bunch of fun.
2. Sinnoh/Gen 4: My name is Platinum fan. Pokemon Platinum was my favorite game before X and Y. I love Generation 4 and Sinnoh. I know it's hated but I don't care. I love it.
3. Johto/Gen 2: Johto was a lot of fun. Be it GSC or HGSS. It's fun and there is so much to do in Johto. Generation 2 was a good generation.
4: Kanto/Gen 1: The classic Pokemon generation. And while I find it more boring nowadays because of better generations, this one is still pretty fun to play for the memories.
5: Hoenn/Gen 3: I was never a fan of Generation 3. I didn't hate it, I just was never crazy about it. Had good music and new Pokemon, but the story and Gyms are forgettable.
6: Unova/Gen 5: Gen 5 did a lot of good things, and had lots of good ideas. I just got overall bored with it and only had one playthrough of it. Gen 5 didn't have much replay value for me. I never looked back and never even bothered with BW2. It's quite sad, but I don't hate the generation. It's just the one that didn't grab me very much.

Wow, quite a bit of hate for Gen 5. Personally I liked Gen 4 the least, I don't hate it, it's just my least favorite.

Ditto: Generation 4 was my low point for the entire franchise, between the games, anime, and manga...especially the anime...oh geez, I don't know where to start with my disappointment there. It may be a very, very unpopular opinion, but I really liked Generation 5 in the anime, games, and manga.

For me, it was gen IV. Besides being really slow, much about it was forgettable to me. Not that I hate it or anything, I just feel the other gens had a certain quality to them gen IV just didn't have.
Besides gen IV, I found gen VI to be a little lacking so far. Mainly because of the non-existant aftergame. (Besides breeding and trading).
Huh: weird how I feel exactly the same way. :)

Last edited:

ChloboShoka

Writer
Gen 1 was the generation with the worst graphics and post story.
Gen 2 was the generation with the worst stability and plot holes.
Gen 3 was the generation with the worst designs.
Gen 4 was the generation with the worst music.
Gen 5 was the generation that's the most forgettable.
Gen 6 was the generation with the worst challenges.

Last edited:

Meillquei

Keeper of Slurpuffs
I am absolutely shocked by the amount of Gen 5 dislike. I thought Gen 5 was a breath of fresh air after Gen 4.

Gen 4 was the worst for me. It literally offered nothing new or exciting. To me, it just seemed like Nintendo rushed it so they could get a Pokemon game out for the DS.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only new feature was the fossil hunting thing, which was absolutely worthless for me because no one I know plays Pokemon on a regular basis.
Plus, Team Galactic was pretty lackluster I thought. Seemed like a poorly written version of Team Aqua/Team Magma.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I can't believe Generation 5 is considered the worst.

Come on, a lot of great Pokémon were introduced in that generation.

Hydreigon, Conkeldurr, Reshiram, Ferrothron, Mandibuzz, I could go on and on.

How can you possibly say that Generation 5 is a bad generation when it introduced so many great Pokémon?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I am absolutely shocked by the amount of Gen 5 dislike. I thought Gen 5 was a breath of fresh air after Gen 4.

Gen 4 was the worst for me. It literally offered nothing new or exciting. To me, it just seemed like Nintendo rushed it so they could get a Pokemon game out for the DS.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only new feature was the fossil hunting thing, which was absolutely worthless for me because no one I know plays Pokemon on a regular basis.
Plus, Team Galactic was pretty lackluster I thought. Seemed like a poorly written version of Team Aqua/Team Magma.

Physical/Special Split. Improved Mechanics on nearly all aspects of the Game and it's features. Super Contests. A Post-Game (which Gen I and III basically didn't have and considering what a mess Gen II is with Plot I don't consider Kanto Post-Game but rather Part 2 of the Main-Game).

Also, I somewhat fail to see how Team Galactic was lackluster, all the areas they hit made relative sense towards their main goal, and unlike Team Aqua/Magma they didn't mess because they were colourblind and don't know how science worked, but rather due to te Protagonist and Cyrus rushing towards Mt. Coronet instead of preparing like they planned to (but then again that was due to Protagonist's raid on their HQ anyway so eh).

Also, Gen V was developed alongside Gen VI, whereas complete focus was put into Gen IV, so they didn't rush it.
It was also the first DS Game, and due to the 2.5D and other mechanics that are different than the GBA it was bound to be viewed as somewhat worse than it's folow-up on the same system.

I can't believe Generation 5 is considered the worst.
Come on, a lot of great Pokémon were introduced in that generation.
Hydreigon, Conkeldurr, Reshiram, Ferrothron, Mandibuzz, I could go on and on.
How can you possibly say that Generation 5 is a bad generation when it introduced so many great Pokémon?

Opinion. Also a few Pokémon that you like doesn't mean it has to be your favourite Generation.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
^ Gen IV also brought the physical/special split, which was huge.

It's really, really unpopular opinion, and I might get neg repped for this, but I consider Gen III the low point of the series. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Gen III. I just think the new Pokemon and new mechanics (double battles, abilities, etc.) were the only things that GF got right in those games. Everything else... not so much. There's too much surfing for my liking (and in general, I don't like tropical-themed areas in video games, but that's just a personal preference), the rivals are weak, bland and give up too early (seriously, they don't even fully evolve their starter), the story is meh (albeit better than what we had in Gens I and II), Teams Aqua and Magma are terrible villains that feel like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon, and they took out way too many features that were present in G/S/C (day/night, PokeGear, no backwards compatibility, no going to other regions, etc.)

Sorry Gen III fans. Just my opinion. Like I said, I don't hate the games, I just think the others are better.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
the rivals are weak, bland and give up too early (seriously, they don't even fully evolve their starter)

I'm gonna have to agree with you there, it is pathetic how the rival never evolves his/her Pokémon to the last stage.

And to make things worse, the replacement Wally is someone we barely get to know anything about, and at the top of that, his team is for the most part terrible.

Teams Aqua and Magma are terrible villains that feel like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon

I don't see how they're terrible villains. They wanted to expand land or sea because they thought that would make the world a better place. Granted, that's a delusion, but they really thought they were doing the world a favor.

and they took out way too many features that were present in G/S/C (day/night, PokeGear, no backwards compatibility, no going to other regions, etc.)
A few things.

First of all the Trainer's Eyes is a replacement for the gear as you can rechallenge trainers that way.

Secondly, the Kanto region in GS was lackluster. What would you rather have? A game with one region that you can fully enjoy, or a game with two regions with the other one barely having any features? I would go with the first choice.

Thirdly, EVs, IVs, natures, abilities and more were introduced. Do you really think that it could be possible to trade with games that don't have these features without messing the game up? I can't think of any way around that.

Please keep in mind that I do respect your opinion, and I'm not saying you're wrong for liking Gen III the least, I just didn't agree with your arguments, hence the reason I responded.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
^ Gen IV also brought the physical/special split, which was huge.

The Split was the first thing I said :/

I'm gonna have to agree with you there, it is pathetic how the rival never evolves his/her Pokémon to the last stage.

And to make things worse, the replacement Wally is someone we barely get to know anything about, and at the top of that, his team is for the most part terrible.

Yet he has enough of a plot and development to make him worthwhile, ironic considering that May/Brendan has basically no development.

I don't see how they're terrible villains. They wanted to expand land or sea because they thought that would make the world a better place. Granted, that's a delusion, but they really thought they were doing the world a favor.

Archie and Maxie were colourblind idiots who need to figure out how science works. Although their motives were justified, I guess... Somewhat.

A few things.

First of all the Trainer's Eyes is a replacement for the gear as you can rechallenge trainers that way.

There also existed Match Call to replace the Phone from the Pokégear.

Secondly, the Kanto region in GS was lackluster. What would you rather have? A game with one region that you can fully enjoy, or a game with two regions with the other one barely having any features? I would go with the first choice.

Thirdly, EVs, IVs, natures, abilities and more were introduced. Do you really think that it could be possible to trade with games that don't have these features without messing the game up? I can't think of any way around that.

Please keep in mind that I do respect your opinion, and I'm not saying you're wrong for liking Gen III the least, I just didn't agree with your arguments, hence the reason I responded.

Well, IVs and EVs already existed, although they functioned differently, the reason for the backwards incompatability.

Status
Not open for further replies.