• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Least Favorite Gen?

What is your least favorite Pokemon generation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thiagomestres

Brilliant changing music.
Lol, yeah, because that's something totally new about Pokémon.

an actually appealing plot
What? The plot is literally: "hey let's stop pokémon battles while doing pokémon battles... oh wait, no, we just want to take over the world". It's the first plot i've ever seen that can be contradictory, predictable and cliche at the same time.

a challenging but not brutal post-game facility
Most parts of the game are easy, why the hardcore gamers can't have something they like?
This doesn't make sense at all.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
generation 5, i dunno why but that generation just bored me, even though it had the best villain in the series, theres not much i remember from these games, also i never even finished white 2 because again, it just seemed like something was missing that kept me from enjoying it like i do with the other gens; in fact, i can see gen 5 as being the one gen i never go back to.

Orithan

Generation 5 is by far the worst. I had to force myself to finish the game. The story that was supposed to be the best aspect, it was actually predictable and it lacked good plot twists like the original RGB. Besides that, the plot was supposed to make pokémon battles look less like cockfighting and more like a sport, but it didn't help at all. The only unique factor about Team Plasma was fake after all. Their name makes no sense by the way!
R/G/B/Y had a paper-thin story. Literally the only noteworthy plot twist in the entire game was Giovanni being the Viridian Gym leader. That was it. There was also very poor character development all round, IIRC only your rival had any good character development. B/W had a ton of character development running through the entire game, especially with N. There were also several plot twists, including the moment when it turned out that N wasn't who was running Team Plasma but Ghestis instead and then when Ghestis declares that he was trying to have all trainers release their pokemon so he could take over the world. That was actually quite a clever plan.
I think you completely missed the whole point behind Team Plasma's message. They were campaigning for people to release their pokemon ala PETA, not turn pokemon from disorganized fights into a sport posed (and yes, their message was very obvious). They also posed deep questions regarding the matter while doing so. While Team Plasma were hypocrites, what else were they going to attack you with? Your pokemon could easily clobber them if they tried messing with you without pokemon.
Also, it is a bit outlandish to attack their name when Team Rocket's name made just as much sense in R/G/B/Y.

About the gameplay, you can only battle with your pokémon. There's no interaction. You couldn't take your pokémon off the pokéball. There's no cool features like Contests, PokéAthlon, the Underground, PokéWalker, Poké Amie and Super Training. Of course, you had the stupid Musical where your pokémon jump around while you do nothing. We had the Dream World too, but it was lagged as hell and it was really limited and boring.
The walking pokemon is extremely overrated feature. You can interact with them, but there is almost zero gameplay purpose to it. I guess it is nice to have, but not something worth kicking up a fuss about having removed because it was very likely more work than what it was worth. Musicals are the (admittedly sucky) equivalent of Contests while the Underground does return in some form as the Entralink. Pokewalker was just a one time gimmick to entice non-nostalgic fanboys into buying a bad remake for a very overrated game. Pokemon Amie and Super Training only came in Gen VI and should have no relevance to Gen V. The only thing thing here that actually holds significant grounds here is the lack of Pokeathathlon, which is only one of many features.

Besides that, Battle Subway sucked. Features like BF need something special so they wouldn't become repetitive, Battle Subway failed there. By the way, it makes no sense to bring this feature before the post-game, when you still have a lot to do, instead of after the post-game, when you have almost nothing to do.
So, what special feature did the Battle Tower in Sinnoh have that prevented it from becoming boring in comparison to the Battle Subway? Last time I played Diamond, it was almost the exact same thing as the Battle Subway, with BS being arguably the better of the two because it had many modes to choose from. Also I heard that the Battle Frontier in Emerald sucked because the AIs cheat, like being loaded with pokemon with illegal EV spreads.
And what's wrong with introducing it before the postgame, which gives you the opportunity to grind up for powerful TMs and rare items to continue your playthrough with? It seems like you are scraping the bottom of the barrel for things to complain about.

Oh and a ice cream pokémon. REALLY?!
Gen I was just as bad in regards to this. Because pokemon that were just animals with horns (Goldeen and Seel lines), piles of sludge (Grimer line), generic boulders (Geodude line. And before you call the Roggernola line out on that, they are much more than just generic boulders - they just share the same role), pokeballs (Voltorb line. Don't say Foongus line because they only have the pokeball motif on their caps), black women (Jynx), tongues (Lickitung line) and eggs (Execute) are really creative and innovative. [/sarcasm]

To be quite frank, you can hate Gen V the all you want, but all your points are very flawed.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Except it is the other way around, Gen V introduced so many awesome new things and Gen VI threw them all away. Brilliant changing music, an actually appealing plot, a challenging but not brutal post-game facility, loads of ingenious Pokémon designs, etc., while Gen VI added bland characters, terribly unbalanced levels, the new exp. share, Amie in-battle bonuses and O-Powers (quite different from Pass Powers as they don't require online or any effort), among others. Pretty much all the good stuff Gen VI added was mandatory and the least they could have done but for some reason people think it's great, as if they had an option between going 3D or sticking to 2D, having great online connection as of all 3DS games or not improving it. But so much for the Pokémon fandom.

Most of the things that 5th gen added were very minor, and they removed a hell of a lot more than they added. The plot is the only thing that was really a significant improvement, every other aspect was a step backwards for the series. They removed a lot of features and gameplay functions from the game that were pretty standard the last few gens, such as trainer rematches, berry planting, regional gadget apps, Secret Bases, and the Battle Frontier. There were a lot of Pokemon which were technically "new", but quite a few of them were really just replacements for past gen Pokemon, they removed bats and rocks from the cave areas only to replace them with different kinds of bats and rocks, which was pretty redundant, it makes you wonder why they didn't just keep the old ones in the first place. The region design was the worst it's ever been, with no freedom in how you explore the region aside from the option to explore the occasional dungeon off the beaten path and all of the gyms pretty much one short route apart. And the difficulty dropped off sharply in this game, all of the trainers had roster limits and there was plenty of handholding throughout the game. And what did we get in exchange for all of this? Gimmicky new battle styles, a useless communication device, hidden abilities, reusable TMs, and Pokemon Centers fused with Poke Marts. And while these things are neat, they're not exactly groundbreaking things, for the most part they're just minor refinements that don't really have much of an effect on the gameplay. 5th gen brought far too little to the table and removed far too much, and overall it felt like it was trying to reinvent the wheel (which is exactly what the series didn't need, especially in the aspects of the game they changed) to try and convince us that it was new despite the fact that it remained on the DS and was therefore limited in what it could add to the series.

Now 6th gen removed a few things itself, but gameplay wise, it refined what 5th gen had done, brought a few things back, and actually felt like an overall improvement. The regional design was a little better, the region felt a little larger and fuller (although it was lacking in optional areas as a result) than Unova was, so the linearity was slightly more tolerable in this game. There weren't a lot of Pokemon, but the ones they added were fresh and interesting, they felt like worthwhile additions to the game. And because of the transition to the 3DS, there were actual gameplay improvements to the game, such as the 3D graphics, grid-free movement with the Roller Skates, the PSS, Fairy type, and Mega Evolution. You could immediately tell that this was a next gen game and an actual step forward for the series. On top of that, they also brought back a few things that 5th gen removed, such as berry planting. Now it's true that XY did remove a few things that 5th gen did as well, like the plot, Contests (although ORAS is bringing them back), but what they added to XY made up for it, or at least in my opinion. I can see how you might not like 6th gen if you're concerned with the plot, but this basically comes down to different priorities and opinions, most of the people that prefer 6th gen over 5th gen are more concerned with gameplay.

I really wish they'd have just waited until the 3DS for 5th gen, and then combined XY's gameplay with BW's plot. It still would've kind of sucked compared to 4th gen, but the changes to the plot structure in 5th gen and the gameplay improvements of 6th gen would've at least softened the blow of having linear region design, decreased difficulty, and the removal of some gameplay features. But you know, Game Freak doesn't really care about making games that improve on the last.

Last edited:

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.

Might I refer you to Grimer, Voltorb, Geodude, Magnemite, Drifloon, all of the Rotom forms, Honedge, Chimecho, Swirlix, Spritzee, Bergmite, Litwick, and Shedinja?

Also, *an

Last edited:

thiagomestres

Might I refer you to Grimer, Voltorb, Geodude, Magnemite, Drifloon, all of the Rotom forms, Honedge, Chimecho, Swirlix, Spritzee, Bergmite, Litwick, and Shedinja?

Also, *an
It's even more stupid. Besides that, the problem is not only the idea, it's the design. Sometimes the design make up for the idea.

R/G/B/Y had a paper-thin story. Literally the only noteworthy plot twist in the entire game was Giovanni being the Viridian Gym leader. That was it. There was also very poor character development all round, IIRC only your rival had any good character development. B/W had a ton of character development running through the entire game, especially with N. There were also several plot twists, including the moment when it turned out that N wasn't who was running Team Plasma but Ghestis instead and then when Ghestis declares that he was trying to have all trainers release their pokemon so he could take over the world. That was actually quite a clever plan.
I think you completely missed the whole point behind Team Plasma's message. They were campaigning for people to release their pokemon ala PETA, not turn pokemon from disorganized fights into a sport posed (and yes, their message was very obvious). They also posed deep questions regarding the matter while doing so. While Team Plasma were hypocrites, what else were they going to attack you with? Your pokemon could easily clobber them if they tried messing with you without pokemon.
Also, it is a bit outlandish to attack their name when Team Rocket's name made just as much sense in R/G/B/Y.

The walking pokemon is extremely overrated feature. You can interact with them, but there is almost zero gameplay purpose to it. I guess it is nice to have, but not something worth kicking up a fuss about having removed because it was very likely more work than what it was worth. Musicals are the (admittedly sucky) equivalent of Contests while the Underground does return in some form as the Entralink. Pokewalker was just a one time gimmick to entice non-nostalgic fanboys into buying a bad remake for a very overrated game. Pokemon Amie and Super Training only came in Gen VI and should have no relevance to Gen V. The only thing thing here that actually holds significant grounds here is the lack of Pokeathathlon, which is only one of many features.

So, what special feature did the Battle Tower in Sinnoh have that prevented it from becoming boring in comparison to the Battle Subway? Last time I played Diamond, it was almost the exact same thing as the Battle Subway, with BS being arguably the better of the two because it had many modes to choose from. Also I heard that the Battle Frontier in Emerald sucked because the AIs cheat, like being loaded with pokemon with illegal EV spreads.
And what's wrong with introducing it before the postgame, which gives you the opportunity to grind up for powerful TMs and rare items to continue your playthrough with? It seems like you are scraping the bottom of the barrel for things to complain about.

Gen I was just as bad in regards to this. Because pokemon that were just animals with horns (Goldeen and Seel lines), piles of sludge (Grimer line), generic boulders (Geodude line. And before you call the Roggernola line out on that, they are much more than just generic boulders - they just share the same role), pokeballs (Voltorb line. Don't say Foongus line because they only have the pokeball motif on their caps), black women (Jynx), tongues (Lickitung line) and eggs (Execute) are really creative and innovative. [/sarcasm]

To be quite frank, you can hate Gen V the all you want, but all your points are very flawed.
No, it's not the only plot twist. The rival beats the champion (plot twist), there's one hidden pokémon (plot twist) and this pokémon was clonned (plot twist). Besides that, everything was new. RBG was limited by it's time. BW wasn't. Not for nothing that most people hate BW.
Anyway, Pokémon was never the best with plots, so making a game where they only focus in the plot is not a good idea. Second of all, the plot isn't even that great. The primary antagonist only appears 7 times and his personality isn't different from the other villains. The moments you are talking about aren't really plot twists, because it was pretty much obvious. N was just a kid, he acted gently all the time and even in the first encounter he doesn't act like a typical Team plasma member, while Ghetis was the typical "evil counselor" in every single aspect. You are probably going to say "yeAh BuT GiovaNni was Too". Hell yeah, he was. But we didn't knew the gym leader and we though that every gym leader should be a good person, someone who teaches you. Besides that, again that was the FIRST GAME and it was made a LONG TIME ago when they had no feedback and the portable games industry was just beginning.
Even when they removed good features, they created new good features, but that didn't happen in BW.
What's special about BF? Because they didn't just add the number of pokémon like Battle Subway did, they created unique rules that made the entire pokémon battle different and it's important to make it different when you are going to battle A LOT of times.
You think my point is contradictory yet you praise Team Plasma for being contradictory. LOL.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Yeah, but cut it some slack. Gen 1 was probably a test, as Nintendo probably didn't want to waste time on a postgame if it wasn't going to be popular.

Agreed. I'm actually surprised that Gen 1 gets so much flack considering that it was the franchise's origin and peak. That deserves respect imo.:x

thiagomestres

Agreed. I'm actually surprised that Gen 1 gets so much flack given that it was the franchise's origin and peak. That deserves respect imo.:x
Yeah, some people don't understand they had limited resources at the time. They think that it was possible to make post game when they literally couldn't put anything else.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
It's even more stupid. Besides that, the problem is not only the idea, it's the design. Sometimes the design make up for the idea.

No, it's not the only plot twist. The rival beats the champion (plot twist), there's one hidden pokémon (plot twist) and this pokémon was clonned (plot twist). Besides that, everything was new. RBG was limited by it's time. BW wasn't. Not for nothing that most people hate BW.
Anyway, Pokémon was never the best with plots, so making a game where they only focus in the plot is not a good idea. Second of all, the plot isn't even that great. The primary antagonist only appears 7 times and his personality isn't different from the other villains. The moments you are talking about aren't really plot twists, because it was pretty much obvious. N was just a kid, he acted gently all the time and even in the first encounter he doesn't act like a typical Team plasma member, while Ghetis was the typical "evil counselor" in every single aspect. You are probably going to say "yeAh BuT GiovaNni was Too". Hell yeah, he was. But again that was the FIRST GAME and it was made a long time ago when they had no feedback and the portable games industry was just beginning.
Even when they removed good features, they created new good features, but that didn't happen in BW.
What's special about BF? Because they didn't just add the number of pokémon like Battle Subway did, they created unique rules that made the entire pokémon battle different and it's important to make it different when you are going to battle A LOT of times.
You think my point is contradictory yet you praise Team Plasma for being contradictory. LOL.

Eh, that's pretty much subjective. Personally, I really like the Vanilite line's design.

Plasma's contradictory nature was apart of its point. They were a bunch if sheep that didnt really know what they were fighting for and blindly obeyed orders. They preached for the liberation of pokemon and yet were hypocritical in their indertaking of that goal. Remind you of any really world animal rights group? Really, the group is what N would have become if he didn't actually think for himself, giving you examples of both ends.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

The last two aren't plot twists. Mewtwo's encounter in Cerulean Cave isn't plot, and the knowledge of Mewtwo's backstory doesn't affect the storyline in any way. The only two plot twists in the game are Giovanni being the gym leader and Blue becoming Champion before you. Also, I'd say 1st gen's plot is worse, because it basically amounts to "Team Rocket is doing bad stuff, stop them!". There's no depth or reasoning behind their actions, they're just there for the hell of it. Say what you want about Plasma being "contradictory", but there was more to the storyline than just Team Plasma showing up in random places for you to battle them.

thiagomestres

The last two aren't plot twists. Mewtwo's encounter in Cerulean Cave isn't plot, and the knowledge of Mewtwo's backstory doesn't affect the storyline in any way. The only two plot twists in the game are Giovanni being the gym leader and Blue becoming Champion before you. Also, I'd say 1st gen's plot is worse, because it basically amounts to "Team Rocket is doing bad stuff, stop them!". There's no depth or reasoning behind their actions, they're just there for the hell of it. Say what you want about Plasma being "contradictory", but there was more to the storyline than just Team Plasma showing up in random places for you to battle them.
Okay, i'm going to stop you right there. First, i wasn't even talking about RBG before this guy started, but ALWAYS that i say that i don't like BW's storyline, someone who likes BW or likes controversy comes here to compare BW with a EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD game that was created in a time that games generally didn't even had storylines. Now there is a stereotype that everyone who doesn't like BW hates every new game and think the old ones are the best. That's just stupid. I do not think RBG is the best game, but i do think it was a good game for it's time.
Besides that, your concept of plot twist is different than mine and i'm not going to talk about semantics, because i know you won't understand and it makes me tired to explain things to people here when english isn't even my first language.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

The Vanillite line are based off of icicles that resemble ice cream. They're not something one should eat.

Exhibit A: Official Pokedex guide.
Exhibit B: Manga

Really the only Pokémon that is an edible food is Cherubi but no one complains about it (then again Vanilluxe is actually a popular Ice Pokémon so meh).

Last edited:

Hidden Power

The Vanillite line are based off of icicles that resemble ice cream. They're not something one should eat.

Really the only Pokémon that is an edible food is Cherubi but no one complains about it (then again Vanilluxe is actually a popular Ice Pokémon so meh).

Of course no one complains about Cherubi. Technically speaking most of the mammal/fish/plants are 'edible'. That's not how people compare against Vanilluxe.

thiagomestres

Whatever. The fact that it's a ice cream + icicle hybrid doesn't make the idea nor even the design appealing to me. The fact that some people can't accept this opinion is ridiculous. Not everyone has the time to create a long explanation why they dislike the ice cream.

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
Whatever. The fact that it's a ice cream + icicle hybrid doesn't make the idea nor even the design appealing to me. The fact that some people can't accept this opinion is ridiculous. Not everyone has the time to create a long explanation why they dislike the ice cream.

Well its annoying because people hate on it just like they hate on trubbish for being a trash bag. The Design is nice being an ice cream it has a great movepool and has great nickname possibilities. I usually hate nicknaming but i called mine choc top. Also who doesn't like ice cream ;)

Tonguetyd

Brilliant changing music

Consists of 2 tracks, the other one you hear 8 times and the other one overrides the regular music.
Oh, and this is extremely minor.

a challenging but not brutal post-game facility

Then I must leave the people of China, as GSC's post-game was ridiculously easy.
The trainers of Kanto were so ridiculously incomptenent, with Gym Leaders having levels below Lance's level 50 Dragonite.
Gen 5's post game was better, but the main game had what, 10 routes? Gen 6 had 22.

loads of ingenious Pokémon designs

And these designs are the only thing you're gonna see, since the dex is butcered compared to B2W2, Platinum or XY.
150 isn't enough. I think we estabilished that in DP with Dustox and Beautifly in the Elite four.
The Pokemon desings were great, but Gen 6 had literally no Pokemon that are nothing but fodder like, for example, Watchog and Unfezant.

terribly unbalanced levels, the new exp. share

Audino grinding in Gen 5 was extreme. You get, what one and a half levels for a few Audino. Audino, which are everywhere.
Oh and the Exp. Share is completely optional.

Amie in-battle bonuses and O-Powers (quite different from Pass Powers as they don't require online or any effort)

Completely optional and don't affect multiplayer at all.
And once again extremely minor.

Pretty much all the good stuff Gen VI added was mandatory

Yeah, like making the metagame not weather, weather and more weather, introducing useful held items and buffing tons of old moves.

And note, Gen 5 is my second favorite generation. And it had really stupid problems, (*cough* Drizzle Drought Sand Stream *cough*) and none of these are present in Gen 6.
Gen 5 was better in story, but I don't play video games for story.

Last edited:

sheerioxo

Generation 5. Did not like most of the Pokemon, too many legendaries, Iris as the champion in BW2, too many alternate forms, etc.

Tonguetyd

Yeah, some people don't understand they had limited resources at the time. They think that it was possible to make post game when they literally couldn't put anything else.

Well, the game being completely glitched, unbalanced and having poopy graphics isn't hardware limitations.
Yes, the graphics were really bad, even for their time.
Case in point: Yellow was on the same console with vastly better sprites.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
For me Gen 4 was the worst purely because of how slow the game was, not in terms of the story but just the battles and dialogue seemed to take forever, it always pains me to return to Pearl or Diamond after playing 5th and 6th Gen

Hidden Power

Well, the game being completely glitched, unbalanced and having poopy graphics isn't hardware limitations.
Yes, the graphics were really bad, even for their time.
Case in point: Yellow was on the same console with vastly better sprites.

Perhaps reading this interview would give you a better idea of Game Freak's limitation back then, as well as the chronological order of the early titles' development:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/pokemon/0/0

Status
Not open for further replies.