• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Memories First Time Playing Gen 1 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's take a big step back to tha past & into tha late 90's :). Good times good times, my how things have changed XD. Yes, let us get back on topic. I remember the Pokemon craze goin' around in school (I was in 5th grade during that time) always askin' those who talked to me "What is this Pokemon?"

Well surely enough it was explained & I figured if a lotof people my age had liked it, then I would as well. I decide to go buy Pokemon Blue that week & when I got home, I put it in my Game Boy Pocket & My Pokemon Journey had begun.

I forgot to mention that I had seen an episode of tha anime before playin' tha game, so not seeing Team Rocket on there kind of shocked me during that time. Though it didn't matter to me tha game was so awesome & tha music had kept me entertained even to this day I still listen to Pokemon game music on Youtube :)

I remember too (my friend who was 1 grade above me explained what to do) & for that as well got me into tha Pokemon craze lol. I was like "Woah, not only do you just battle Pokemon & gain experience but one of your goals is to capture all tha Pokemon!?" so tha whole concept of catchin' Pokemon stood out to me.

I remember too that i had thought Gary (Yes, Blue calm down) was like bad guy as in Team Rocket bad guy lol XD. i guess it was because he was such a jerk you thought he would turn out evil (well for me anyways lol)

I also found it interesting too during that time (still do) that in order to proceed to other towns you have to beat the Gym Leader/Boss to get to tha next area or to use an HM.

& how could ANYone not forget that godly champion battle & his music!? & tha whole thing leading up to it "Yes!!! I beat Tha Elite Four/Tha Game" "Go on challenge tha champion Me:"Wait... What.......?" Me:"It's Gary (during that time a lot didnt know tha difference btw Red & Blue)

Jeez, so many memories :) i figured i would ask & would love to know others experiences on tha 1st 3 gens as those have a special place in my heart although 3rd & 4th remain my favorites & a close tie btw 2nd & 4th actually lol

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I first heard of Pokémon through Kids WB with the anime. I don't remember when I heard of the games, but on my eighth birthday, my parents got me a GameBoy pocket/bag-thingy (can't think of the actual name here) with Pikachu on the front, and inside was the magenta GameBoy Color with Pokémon Yellow in the slot. (My brothers got Pokémon Red and Blue when they turned six or the very next year, I really can't remember. But it wasn't long before the three of us got GameBoys and Pokémon games of our own.) I played it almost immediately, and I started to copy Ash's team off the bat. Of course, being a dumb eight-year-old, I didn't know Pikachu was useless until I finally found a Mankey, caught one, and then after a long time, got it up to a high-enough level to Low Kick Geodude and Onix down. I would then get stuck in Mount Moon for a week. And I had a nightmare of a skinny black cat eating Pikachu and then me.

Yeah.

I had a lot of help for a while to get me through places, and also got traded Pokémon to pretty much help me since I didn't train all my Pokémon equally. I remember the game being reset a lot, and eventually I was able to get through with very little outside help. When I got Pokémon Silver and got far enough in to where I traded my Pikachu over for a little bit, I found out "Sparky" was a girl.

My Yellow version is long dead now, I think I threw out the cartridge years ago. I'd love to find a working cartridge to play through it again, but I think the memories will do me fine, and Let's Plays of Pokémon Yellow bring me back to the good ol' days of childhood. I'm just happy to know I was part of the Pokémon craze in the late '90s, and that Pokémon has remained a strong part of my childhood and life since then.

I first heard of Pokémon through Kids WB with the anime. I don't remember when I heard of the games, but on my eighth birthday, my parents got me a GameBoy pocket/bag-thingy (can't think of the actual name here) with Pikachu on the front, and inside was the magenta GameBoy Color with Pokémon Yellow in the slot. (My brothers got Pokémon Red and Blue when they turned six or the very next year, I really can't remember. But it wasn't long before the three of us got GameBoys and Pokémon games of our own.) I played it almost immediately, and I started to copy Ash's team off the bat. Of course, being a dumb eight-year-old, I didn't know Pikachu was useless until I finally found a Mankey, caught one, and then after a long time, got it up to a high-enough level to Low Kick Geodude and Onix down. I would then get stuck in Mount Moon for a week. And I had a nightmare of a skinny black cat eating Pikachu and then me.

& wow really crazy

Yeah.

I had a lot of help for a while to get me through places, and also got traded Pokémon to pretty much help me since I didn't train all my Pokémon equally. I remember the game being reset a lot, and eventually I was able to get through with very little outside help. When I got Pokémon Silver and got far enough in to where I traded my Pikachu over for a little bit, I found out "Sparky" was a girl.

My Yellow version is long dead now, I think I threw out the cartridge years ago. I'd love to find a working cartridge to play through it again, but I think the memories will do me fine, and Let's Plays of Pokémon Yellow bring me back to the good ol' days of childhood. I'm just happy to know I was part of the Pokémon craze in the late '90s, and that Pokémon has remained a strong part of my childhood and life since then.

You're so right about bein' apart of tha late 90's great great times :). miss em so much lol XD. you know what? i had tha SAME gameboy bag as well with pikachu on it lol XD. i never really had any trouble on tha game as my friend taught me how to play it and back then internet was dial-up and so expensive not many ppl had it lol XD. so i had my friend tell me where to go lol XD. & no it's not that dumb to me because i knew a lot of ppl who wanted their team to be like ash's lol XD. i understood that because ash was a fan favorite back then with a lot of kids (& still is to me lol XD) so i understand while yes that isnt tha best strategy for tha games it's still understandable :).

& wow really o_O crazy nightmare ya had lol XD i got pokemon gold first with my light blue greenish gbc (game boy color) had it for a couple of years then one day went to eat at a waffle house with parents thn accidentally left it there went back & it was gone i ccried for along time lol XD. but as we grew up we became more responsible of things like that :). but soon after for my birthday i got that (now expensive & rare i like to play & collect retro games lol) gold pikachu & pichu edition gbc (game boy color) with pokemon gold & strategy guide lol XD. good good times :)

Tactical Squirtle

I first started off Watching the show as it started early in the morning just as I was waking up for School. So much nostalgia with the first season. As for the game I wanted blue version originally but the store I was at was sold out so I had to settle for Red. I remember reading through the gaming manual and admiring the art within it. Played my gameboy until I need more AA Batteries >.<

Swagsire

I couldnt get passed the old man. The one who wanted his coffee. Oh my god. Just get off the road. And get yourself some coffee Qwaa ;195;

Emily101

Froakie Trainer
I saw the anime first in the mornings before school. I used to love it so I eventually got Pokemon Blue and a Gameboy just to play it. I picked Squirtle as my starter because I just saw the Squirtle Squad episode of the anime and so began my life long love with the Pokemon games.

Kalosian

So long
I remember the first time I played Blue, I played it for many hours on the same evening and got past the two first gyms. Then, I got stuck for a long while as I didn't know what HMs and TMs did, preventing me from teaching Cut to a Pokemon in order to cut down the tree to the third gym. Fortunately, a friend of mine who had played through the game helped me all the way to Rock Tunnel. Where I got stuck once again as I didn't have Flash and had trouble navigating the cave. I went through it all the way to the end, but couldn't find the exit, so I went back to the start again as I thought I had taken the wrong path somewhere. But I hadn't, so I went back to it once more, this time getting to the end and reaching Lavender Town. I have more memories, but this is what I mostly remember mostly from playing the games for the first time.

Cutty

Forever now
I started to play it in the rom, copy from a friend. It's really addicting, so I decided to buy the game. Although it took me a while.
I liked to try different pokemon in my game, even if it means I had to cheat to get version exclusive ones.

Unoin

Playing Pokemon Yellow so much that I was advised to cut down on it or my eyes would suffer. The next day my eyes were really sore all during school so I followed this advice!

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Pokemon was new and popular, so I got Blue for my birthday. I wanted to go on my own Pokemon adventure, and the game let me. I thought it should've been more like the anime, with more towns, more places to explore, better graphics, etc. Still, the game was fun, and it let me go on my own adventure, so it was (and is) good.

Blazing Charmander

I actually first played Red, Blue and Yellow some time after I discovered Pokemon and got into the TV show in 1999. Any kid at school who was fortunate enough to have a Gameboy packed with one of the Pokemon games was the envy of most of their peers on the playground. Many school breaks on the playground were spent with kids crowded behind one person playing Red, Blue or later Yellow during the height of the Pokemon craze.

My first memory of being hands-on with a handheld Pokemon game (I actually had Pokemon Stadium for N64 as my first Pokemon game) was on the last day of school before Christmas in 2000, where everybody was allowed to bring in a game or toy to play with. Of course, many came prepared with a Gameboy and Pokemon (even despite a blanket ban on Pokemon related things being brought to school, which occurred because of thefts and arguments breaking out over trading cards etc.), and I asked a classmate if I could experience one of the games for myself. This kid had an 'All-in-one' cartridge, which contained a number of games including the likes of Mario and Pokemon. I don't quite remember which game I tried out, but I seem to recall using a Bulbasaur and failing to grasp the battle system. This didn't put me off though, as I had both Red and Blue that Christmas which I had many joyful hours playing through Pokemon Stadium's Transfer Pak. The rest, of course, is history.

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
I remember back when I played Pokemon Red. It was so nostalgic for me XD I loved the music and everything just so... old-fashioned about the game. Every single moment when I was playing it, I'll never forget it. ^_^ I cherish those memories...

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Ah, first time I had a bike and going to Rock Tunnel without Flash HM...it was pretty great. I was like hyped coz my cousins didn't know what to do in the game coz they were stuck in Cerulean XD nya~

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I remember getting Red version and being disappointed with the graphics; I assumed that everything would be bright and vivid like the cartoon animation. Still, I grew to like the graphics after a while and I was able to make great progress on the first day of playing the game. I did get lost a few times though, especially at Mt. Moon; that place was such a miserable maze. I also didn't train as much as I should have, so the Cerulean City Gym battle was tough. But those are still fond memories for me.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I remember using my Masterball on Pikachu. For some reason I couldn't catch it, and I thought you'd get to buy a Masterball later.

I remember being sorely disapointed when the S.S. Anne left without me. It was supposed to sink, I was supposed to escape, travel to an island with huge Pokemon, but nooo... I also remember being dissapointed with the Viridian forest; there was supposed to be a samari in there some where. ;)

I remember asking my friends if the Pokemon Tower was in the game. They said "Yes, but it's on a very high level." XD We'd never played RPGs before; we didn't know they weren't split up into levels.

I remember getting stuck at Misty's gym. Charmander isn't the best Pokemon to take to a gym full of water Pokemon. I asked my friends for help, and they told me to put some of my Pokemon in the Daycare center, if I remember correctly. "But don't give him Charzard, or he'll teach it Fly," they said. Okay, the last bit might have been wrong, but it was still helpful.

silver_phoenix

Fluffy Pokemon Trainer
the first time I played Pokemon, I had red Version. I got it with my very first gameboy! a Grape purple Gameboy Color! I got to the Safari Zone and I got stuck inside and I didn't know how to get to the back and get Surf. I never got to finish my copy of red because my sister in law threw out my Gameboy and my Pokemon game, as well as all my Pokemon cards and other anime related things.

X&Y

My first memory of anything Pokemon was seeing parts of episodes at a neighbor's house but the first time I played the game I was so young and poorly versed in video games as a whole that it took me more than a day just to figure out how to leave my house -_-

Sabrina's Doll

Pokemon Red was my first game. I always used Charmander because it's cute and I felt obligated since Charizard was on the cover. Overall, I loved the game. My worst experience was trying to capture Kangaskhan in the Safari Zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.