• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Memories First Time Playing Gen 1 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
I remember getting Blue for my 9th birthday and just ran out into the garage to play it. It took me a whole hour to figure out how to throw a dang pokeball. Those were the days.

xYachu

Spicy Tuna!
It was has been already such a long time. The first pokémon gane I ever got was pokémon gold. I was always confused with Ho Oh back then, I thought it had two eyes XD. Mhm,.. I had an older newphew who was always lying to me. Once when I caught a shiny caterpie (Yes the first shiny I ever caught) was stolen away by him. He totally tricked me! He said "Yeah, the butterfree flew away 'cause you didn't took good care of it". Meng, can't believe I actually believed him xD. Well I was six back then so I guess I was a bit naif.

I think I stopped playing pokémon after that, I was so upset about my butterfree xD. I still remember though that I was annoyed that only in pokémon yellow that it was possible that a pokémon was walking behind you. It was quite frutarting, so later my aunt also bought my pokémon Yellow, but the card broke and haha, I had to keep restarting it and soon I gave up playing.

My next game was pokémon emerald, which I haven't touched in ages xD. I really should do it...

gogengar

I watched the anime first before stadium and the gameboy. The TV show was on from 7:30-08:00 I think, rarely missed an episode, except for repeats. I got pokemon stadium 1 when I was about 8 years old (2000) and defeated round 1 with just rentals as I still didn't have a gameboy yet. When I had difficulty defeating round 2 I realised I needed to get some better resources! :) Took me ages to finish the game (Elite 4 and rival in Indigo Plateau) as it took me a while to get the surf HM and find the card key in saffron city where team rocket were. My best team would have to be:

Mewtwo
Mew
Zapdos
Gengar
Tauros
Exeggutor

Xehla

not a narwhal
Pokemon blue was the first one i ever played. My auntie amy gave it to me to play cuz i was bored and lets see, i was like 4 or 5 and when prof. oak said not to go in the grass, after the stuff happens with your rival and getting your starter i never went in the grass again! Cuz you know he said not to and i was scared something bad would happen or something... idk.
I was so confused jst wandering around pallet town like what the hay?! Then after like 10 mins wandering around i accidentally walked in the grass and im like.................... oh. :b lawl

Last edited:

Cloud_Arcanine

Scarlett starlett
I remember getting Yellow for Christmas and I literally spent the entire day sat at my Gran's house playing it. I remember going onto the route north of Cerulean City and being amazed that a randomer would just give me a Charmander. Felt like I'd won the lottery.
I put this in another thread, but when I found the Eevee in Celadon City I thought the police were going to arrest me for theft as the pokeball was right next to the know it all guy.

My 8yr old cousin now has my Red version. This is her first Pokemon game so when she gets excited it's adorable.

Fuelh

I remember playing Yellow for the first time and I was so happy when Pikachu was following me, I ran downstairs and was jumping around going "PIKACHU, PIKACHU, PIKACHU!!"
It took my mother about 20 minutes to calm me down :p I was only that happy because 1) I didn't know it was going to happen 2) It didn't happen in Red/Blue.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
I remember evolving my Wartortle... That's about it.

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
I remember my first pokemon game ever which was yellow version, I started the game and for what seemed like an hour I finally figured out that I had to walk into the grass to get the game started lol I was walking around the town talking to people and notvrealizingbthat Rout 1 was my destination and that is my greatness pokemon yellow memory because that first step brought me to the point of loving pokemon to this day.

whowantshoney

Melancholic Trainer
Here's my short slice of my life how I got my first gameboy. well, I just wanted to share. :D I remember late 90s pokemon handheld games were so popular. I always felt so envious when I seen someone playing red/blue. Every field trip we had, most of my classmates were bragging each of their teams and there was I, always wished I had gameboy too. I often borrow my cousin's gameboy and some of my classmates unused roms just to be able to play. then up to the point where they don't allow me to burrow anymore. I can't forget that moment when I really cried and rage (can't come up with a good term :p) and told my mom. "Why is it on so many kids out there I'm the only one who doesn't own a gameboy. I even pity myself when everyone's having fun while I am like an outcast just watching them. I got really good grades but why is it you can't buy my only wish?" and then, the peak of my childhood. I still have my gameboy and 1st rom box. Oh. Nostalgia moments.

ToeyJoey

The Count
I can remember getting my GBC and Pokemon Red for Christmas, exploring Pallet Town to find what to do... My Ivysaur evolving into Venusaur... Dewgong's Surf defeating Gary's Charizard for my first victory...

I was in 4th grade, and my best friend at the time had just discovered Pokemon. I didn't want to get into it, since I didn't like the way she described it...can't remember details lol. Then my cousin got me to watch some episodes, and pretty soon I had a copy of Pokemon Yellow.

I remember taking forever to get to Viridian City, and trying to beat Brock with Pikachu (my other cousin and I took turns trying to best him..."Pikachu used Quick Attack! It's not very effective..." XD). I basically only used Pikachu throughout the game, and since I got stuck a lot, it was at level 51 by the time I got to Lt. Surge. I was also happy when I beat Surge because I accidentally made Pikachu forget Thunderbolt XD. I also remember really liking Vermilion City's music for some reason.

Then I tried Red and Blue and was kind of disappointed in the graphics and the fact I couldn't have all 3 starters. Eventually, I grew to love all the games. I discovered all the Gen I glitches sometime in high school and spent many an afternoon catching Mew or making Missingno. give me 128 Rare Candies. So much fun XD. To this day I still enjoy playing RBY, trying different challenges like Nuzlocke and such.

Keizaal

bring me to life
The first time I have ever played Pokemon was around 5-6 years ago, when I as about 8-9. I learned about Pokemon form my older sister, who was in her early-mid teens. I stole her Gameboy and Pokemon Yellow and played, not knowing what to do. I had a ton of fun but only got so far. My only memory was that I always used my Butterfree because it was such a badass. I'm 14 now and downloading a Yellow ROM, now I'm replaying my old memories to my heart's content.

Pokemonspecialgerman

Oh yeah good old times. I started with the Red Version. My very first pokemon game. I always wanted to visit the grass area on the sides of pallet town. But it was impossible buuh.
And I caught a machoke on victory road with a masterball. I thought Machamp was the strongest pokemon ever^^' Old stupid me.
I hardly remember normal stuff in the game. But I will never forget my first try to find Missingno, Mew, and sunny town.

It was a beautiful day on October 16th, 1998. It was my 8th birthday that day, and who would've known that day i received one of the greatest birthday presents i would ever receive. On that day i received my first gameboy. An extreme green gameboy pocket. And what came with it? Pokemon Red. I can still remember the iconic moments that day while playing the game, "Mac chose Charmander" "Smell you later". Best moment of that day was when i beat Brock and got the boulder badge. Because of Pokemon Red i will always regard Charizard as my personal favorite pokemon.

Allieon

Best Eeveelution
My first game was Yellow, and I mostly remember that I never got passed Brock. XD Eventually, the game was stolen but I ended up buying another copy that I still play today!

My first game was Yellow, and I mostly remember that I never got passed Brock. XD Eventually, the game was stolen but I ended up buying another copy that I still play today!

I hear ya. I did a Pikachu only run of Pokemon Yellow. I think my Pikachu was in the low 30's when i beat Brock. Whatever the level you get slam. By far the hardest Pokemon game there is.

Chalis

Victorious
I heard about it from friends and now i love it.

UndeadGamerDan

Ghost type trainer.
I remember getting Pokemon red along with a gameboy colour for my 6th birthday (I'm 23 now) and I remember playing it from the moment I woke up until the moment I fell asleep, after about 1 month I beat the elite four and then somehow stumbled onto finding mewtwo and having no idea what the hell it was lol, it was long before the movie was released, I still have the same gameboy but I don't know what happened to my copy of red, I got another copy a few months ago and am currently using an all Ghastly/ Gengar/ Haunter team and even though the remakes have come out with improved graphics, I still love the slightly red tinted pixels of the original, who would have thought a few pixels could be so epic?

Status
Not open for further replies.