• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your memories of your first shiny

I decided to make a thread about your very first shiny pokemon. But, my first Shiny was an SOS Magikarp I shiny hunted for in about 1hr 20mins in Sun. But it doesn't end there. Shortly after I got my first Shiny, I was in Lush Jungle for some reason and I ended up finding a full odds shiny Fomantis. Probably easily the best experience in Pokemon when it comes to shinies.

Phillies

In either Gold or Silver I encountered a shiny Mareep and killed it thinking it was a glitch. Never found another shiny until X/Y. My best memory of a shiny was the Zigzagoon I caught in Omega Ruby. It was the first Pokemon I encountered after the doing the sneaking up tutorial. Actually thinking about it that game was really good to me because I had 4 full odds shiny encounters in that game. Route 6 in either X or Y was really good to as well. I went there with a magnet pull Pokemon to catch a shiny Honedge and managed to catch one in less then 15 minutes. I later went back there to catch 2 more to complete the line. Those took less then 4 hours and I managed to catch a shiny Sentret while completing this task.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
My first shiny was a female shiny Pidgey in Pokemon Silver. Sadly the save with her on it, as a Pidgeot, is gone now, but I still remember when I first caught her and the memories we had together. I still miss her.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Shiny Sandile in Black. Just got done clearing Route 4's Trainers with my own Sandile when the last patch of sand before Nimbasa, it popped out. I eventually used it in a solo run of White

FritsP1823ujzTRs

The new guy.
A shiny Starly in Diamond. It was at my brother's birthday party when I was, like, 10 years old.
He and his friends were racing each other in Need for Speed on the PS2 and I was paying so much attention to their race that I almost didn't notice the shiny Starly!
I luckily noticed it before running away from it and it is now safely tucked away in Bank.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
The first Shiny I ever encountered was a Slugma in X on Kalos Route 13, it was in a Rock Smash rock, but unfortunately my Clauncher knocked it out in one hit. The first one I ever caught was Onix, also in X, in the Glittering Cave on Route 9, I named her Goldie. but never used her in my playthrough.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Shinies kept dodging me until I found a shiny Pidgey in Y once I got the Shiny Charm. I caught it in a Quick Ball I think.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I remember catching a Red Golbat in Pokemon Crystal Version. Took me by complete surprise as I had didn't even know what a Shiny Pokemon was at the time.

Platina2000

Not counting Gyarados and GameStop events... After all the years of playing Pokemon, my first shiny was in Omega Ruby, Reshiram, after soft resetting for him. Then two days after capturing him, I ran into a shiny Sunkern in a Mirage Spot. That was back in 2015. I haven't ran into a shiny since.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The first Shiny I ever encountered was in the early days of my Pokémon career, in Emerald over ten years ago. I was doing post-game grinding in Victory Road, and a Shiny Aron appeared. Now, you might remember that for whatever reason, unevolved Pokémon in Victory Road in that game were underleveled compared to the evolve stuff, while I was also overleveled compared to the area. At the time, I was so young and ignorant, that I didn't even consider the possibility of catching the thing just by throwing Pokéballs. It was ingrained in my mind that I had weaken it first in order to catch it. So I switched into my weakest Pokémon and used its weakest move that was also not-very effective, and I still knocked out the thing. It has haunted me to this very day.

My second Shiny encounter, and my first Shiny capture didn't happen until nearly a decade later, when I was playing Omega Ruby, and I encountered a Shiny Swablu on my way to my Secret Base. I was smart enough to just through an Ultra Ball this time. And so somehow the only two Shiny Pokémon I've ever found have both been in Hoenn, seperated by ten years.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
First ever shiny was a Oddish in Sapphire’s Safari Zone. It kept breaking out so I tossed a Poke Block with the hope it would stick around longer. RNG decided it would be a good time for the Oddish to choose to flee.

The first shiny I caught was a Spearow in one of the Gen 3 Kanto remakes. Weakening Pokémon back then was more stressful since False Swipe is not widely distributed back then. Somehow all my shines were by random encounters the most recent being a Corsola while I was hunting for a HA Mareanie in Ultra Sun.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
When shiny Pokemon were introduced in Gen 2, I had more or less just gotten my starter did the story junk at the beginning of the game and walked out into the grass on route 1. I was running around in the grass to see what kind of new Pokemon there were when I ran into a Sentret, which my starter one-shotted. So I went looking for another one. The next one was different though... It didn't have the stars or whatever when it came into battle like the last one did, nor did the one after that, or the one after that, or the one after that. All of the Sentret I encountered were just brown, not yellow/golden like the one before it. I went on with the rest of the game and never did realize why that Pokemon had been different until around the time Gen 3 had come out.

The first shiny I actually caught was a Spinda in Sapphire.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
You mean the first shiny I ever saw? Or first shiny I ever caught? Because those two are different and let me tell you why.

The first shiny I ever saw was a shiny Kecleon I encountered in Diamond. I don't remember why exactly I was there, but I know I wasn't shiny hunting specifically. I was most likely just looking for the special encounter of the day, which in this case was Kecleon.

Of course, I was excited and wanted to catch. I don't remember how, and I don't remember what exactly I was doing, but I accidentally fainted it. I am still so salty at my younger self.

As for the first one I caught, it was, once again, while I was hunting for something else entirely. What, I'm not sure, but in Black 2, I ended up encountering a shiny Shelmet. And thankfully, this time I had a ton of Quick Balls so I properly caught it instead of accidentally fainting it.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Since I don't count the red Gyarados from the Lake of Rage as an encounter (as it's part of the story), the first shiny I legitimately encountered (as in a random encounter) was an Audino in Black. I was training my team for the League, running around on Route 10 grinding EXP on Audinos and all the other high-levelled wild Pokémon, and I stepped in one of the rustling patches of grass. As I expected, it was another Audino, but then I noticed that it was sparkling... it was a shiny! Even though I'd caught an Audino for my Dex before, I just had to catch this one, and I did. I still have it on my Black game. :D

In Pokémon Go, I've been a bit luckier with finding shinies than I have in the main-series games. My first shiny in Go was a Dratini (which is now a Dragonair), and I also have a shiny Chimchar, Raichu and Minccino. (The Dratini was randomly found on the overworld, the Chimchar was from one of the Community Days last year, and the Raichu and Minccino were hatched from eggs.)

The Shiny Gyarados from G/S was technically my first Shiny Pokemon, although I used it as an HM slave for the most part since I didn't really care about its red color.

I think I remember using the red Gyarados as a team member on the original Silver, but in SS, I just caught it and stored it in my box.

I decided to make a thread about your very first shiny pokemon. But, my first Shiny was an SOS Magikarp I shiny hunted for in about 1hr 20mins in Sun. But it doesn't end there. Shortly after I got my first Shiny, I was in Lush Jungle for some reason and I ended up finding a full odds shiny Fomantis. Probably easily the best experience in Pokemon when it comes to shinies.

You were pretty lucky that day. :D

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
First ever shiny was a Oddish in Sapphire’s Safari Zone. It kept breaking out so I tossed a Poke Block with the hope it would stick around longer. RNG decided it would be a good time for the Oddish to choose to flee.

The first shiny I caught was a Spearow in one of the Gen 3 Kanto remakes. Weakening Pokémon back then was more stressful since False Swipe is not widely distributed back then. Somehow all my shines were by random encounters the most recent being a Corsola while I was hunting for a HA Mareanie in Ultra Sun.
Can relate on that Safari Zone story. Ran into a shiny Weezing in Soul Silver's safari zone and the little twerp ran. Got some revenge years later in the VC version of Crystal version. Shiny hunted for a shiny Koffing. It took over 200 hours or so, but one finally did show up and I caught it.

Last edited: