• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Move Interpretations

yeminied

I don't know about you guys but many times in the anime I have seen a new attack showcased and be utterly dissappointed.

An example of this is the grass type Hyper Beam, Frenzy Plant.

In the anime it is a bunch of spiky vines coming out of the ground and grabbing hold of the opposing Pokémon. When I first heard of this attack my interpretation of it would be a sort of a combination of solarbeam and razor leaf. A huge green beam would be released from the user with razor sharp leaves getting released from the beam and attacking the foe. This is a real frenzied, plant.

Another one is mach punch. While the graphics of it are nice ever since the episode where Chimchar evolved I don't think the priority rating has properly been used at all.

In this thread you can discuss what you think so far unseen moves will look like and how could already shown moves be improved.

I'll start it off:

I think the move Dragon Dance will be shown as two Chinese dragons, the serpentine ones, one red and one blue flying out of the users eyes and circling the Pokémon creating dark blue and red smoke, like in the game. The dragons will then look toward the opponent/s and screech before finally disappearing in a shower of sparks around the feet of the opponent.

Have fun!

Silver_Seoul

Your DD interpretation seems a bit too complicated for the show... At best I see a sort of purple aura surrounding the user.

Anyway, for some reason Water Gun is shown to be as an equal to Flamethrower when it's less than half the power... I never understood that.

yeminied

Yeah, I suppose. Thinking about it, the stat upping moves don't take very long do they. The Pokémon does this and then it's done.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
This! This is the thread I have waited for someone to make! Frenzy Plant, I agree with you 100%! It indeed is disturbingly terrible.

Dragon Dance, epic interpretation!

I think Ice Fang could be a bit better, like, white glowing fang? Woop di doo!

Also, I hate it when there are 2 moves, they always collide and create an explosion! Only one in my opinion that should get to do that in my opinion is Water and Fire. Steam, not smoke.

Last edited:

wesling123

I am also dissappointed with the Judgement attack of Arceus in from Movie 12. I thought that there will be a huge glyph appearing on a large area then multiple beams will start to rain down on it but their interpretation to it was kinda good too its just that its looks so simple for a very strong attack. :)

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Though I have watched very few episodes, in the battle against Candice, her Abomasnow's Ice Punch wasn't like a punch. Its arm glowed and light-blue orbs shot out of it.

I'm pretty sure an Ice Punch involves punching.

Silverline

Frontier Outcast
Though I have watched very few episodes, in the battle against Candice, her Abomasnow's Ice Punch wasn't like a punch. Its arm glowed and light-blue orbs shot out of it.

I'm pretty sure an Ice Punch involves punching.

Maybe it was a dubbing error and the attack was meant to be Abomasnow's Ice Shard?

And in all honestly, I have more of an issue with how they change the power of some things. Kinda like Dragon Rage being such a powerful attack in the anime and being this dinky little thing in the games. Draco Meteor is another attack that doesn't look like it would be strong at all. Maybe good if you were fighting multiple opponents, but useless in a one on one match.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Maybe it was a dubbing error and the attack was meant to be Abomasnow's Ice Shard?

And in all honestly, I have more of an issue with how they change the power of some things. Kinda like Dragon Rage being such a powerful attack in the anime and being this dinky little thing in the games. Draco Meteor is another attack that doesn't look like it would be strong at all. Maybe good if you were fighting multiple opponents, but useless in a one on one match.

Yes, glad you mentiond Draco Meteor. I wanted it to look like how it does in the games, like a Gible/Garchomp/whatever Dragon-type, to summon a storm of comets or something. The Pokemon should then have its Special Attack Stat because its a task to "control" the move. Honestly, DM in the Anime looks like some cheesy piece of of crap that barely resembles how good the animation looks in the games. I'd find it better if Ash's Gible was struggling with the Game version of DM than the one in the Anime. Its making poor Piplup look like a pushover...

However, the way it is now, looks good, but for Coordinators! They should have TWO variants, battlers like Ash get the one from the games, coordinators get the current one.

Last edited:

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Pikachu's Iron Tail should actually be Steel, or metallic looking. Not the generic white glow that they seem to enjoy D:

I like Volt Tackle, but it might be cooler if they use the Brawl animation where it turns into an electric ball. Only a tad smaller of course ^^"

Silverline

Frontier Outcast
Yes, glad you mentiond Draco Meteor. I wanted it to look like how it does in the games, like a Gible/Garchomp/whatever Dragon-type, to summon a storm of comets or something. The Pokemon should then have its Special Attack Stat because its a task to "control" the move. Honestly, DM in the Anime looks like some cheesy piece of of crap that barely resembles how good the animation looks in the games. I'd find it better if Ash's Gible was struggling with the Game version of DM than the one in the Anime. Its making poor Piplup look like a pushover...

Seriously, though, as far as Gible using it in the anime, it's more for gags and lulz then anything else. Frankly, I just find it irritating more then anything.

Another thing that really gets my goat is the fact that there isn't really anything for some of the lower level attacks. We've seen Ember what, a few times? And every time it's different. Everything seems to learn Flamethrower at such low levels in the anime.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
I was expecting Beequeen's Power Gem to somehow or other involve usage of the jewel on its head (like maybe a beam or explosive glitter comes out of it)... instead, we ended up with some Kamehameha knock-off. The hell?

Another thing that really gets my goat is the fact that there isn't really anything for some of the lower level attacks. We've seen Ember what, a few times? And every time it's different. Everything seems to learn Flamethrower at such low levels in the anime.

this is probably because Flamethrower is just the most basic trait with which one would associate Pokemon of the fire element (since it's basically just spitting out a stream of fire, a habit that's been described in mythological creatures as early as ancient times). I just wish the anime wouldn't play up Water Gun as being its equivalent, but then again, perhaps the games are to blame for putting what should essentially be the same attacks but of different elements (one surges out a stream of fire, the other water) into vastly different power categories (for those who only follow the anime, Water Gun is actually a pathetic attack in the games that can't even match half of Flamethrower's power). At any rate, the anime seems to have been correcting this in recent years (Hikozaru learned Flamethrower as a supposed power-up over Flame Wheel, demonstrating how powerful of an attack the simple act of breathing up flares actually is, and sans Satoshi's Buoysel, barely any Pokemon uses Water Gun anymore).

Grei

not the color
I always expected Leaf Storm to just be a larger-scale Razor Leaf, not a tornado of leaves. Maybe similar to the games--where a bunch of leaves are tossed into the air, and then a barrage of leaves fly at the foe.

I expected Earthquake to be literally shaking the earth, not stomping and sending a circular wave in all directions. I mean, the anime's version makes a bit more sense, but still, I never expected it.

Ice Fang was, in my mind, just like Fire Fang is in the anime--biting a foe with icy teeth, not sending out a jaw-shaped beam.

I thought Water Pulse would be just a more pressurized version of Water Gun. Like, Water Gun was the small shot of water that it was in the anime, Water Pulse is bigger and more focused and pressurized, and Hydro Pump is like it is in the anime. I don't like that it's a ball of water-energy.

I have always wanted Aura Sphere to be less like a defined orb of Aura and more like... this:

[IMG200]http://editthis.info/images/code_wiki/6/60/Aelita3.jpg[/IMG200]

Or maybe even like it is in the anime, with a swirling coalesced center of Aura.

And Air Slash... I didn't like that it was just a ball of air! It's Air Slash, not Air Sphere. I expected just a flying shockwave in the shape of a ) to fly at the enemy, not a ball of air.

allaboutthecute

When I grow up
Ice Fang should be a glowing ball of ice filling the users mouth as it bites the target.
Blizzard should be...well...more like a concentrated blizzard.
I'm very dissapointed by Trick Room also. After PBR it was obvious that it would be those glowing squares, but i still think a distortion effect would have been better.

Magcargo96

I love this avvy
Overheat.
I'm pretty sure Torkoal used some sort of power-up Flamethrower, while I thought it was more like, a big flame storm coming from the user.

Frenzy Plant was actually exactly like I thought it was.

Silver_Seoul

I hate the way Psychic and Confusion are essentially god-moves that just stop a Pokemon in its tracks and send it flying away. I envisioned them more as waves or beams or explosions of energy that distorted the Pokemon... I don't know. A blue outline just seems understated.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Ice Fang - Seriously, where was the biting? This should have been shown much like Fire Fang, with a ball of ice or something in its mouth before chomping down on the opponent.

Frenzy Plant - I imagined it to be much like the 'Devils Snare' in Harry Potter, shooting up around the foe and engulfing it within it's prickly vines. What a disappointment.

cazatron

skarmory's spikes is kinda weird, and empoleon's drill peck is too although it kind of makes sense

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
I was disappointed by Heatran's Magmastorm. It just looked like fire spin. I was hoping that it would involve Heatran shooting a flamethrower-like attack into the sky and soon after large flaming tornadoes would descend onto the target pokemon.