• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Name is Francois! (1182)

Red and Blue

UglyToast

I thought this was a good filler but not so good as an episode, I give it a 6.5/10 points from me.
Seeing that Giant Magnemite was threatening enough for me.

Risrhayne

Actually not an essay time:
I didn't really have high expectations or this episode tbph, sure the episode touched on how Renji and his Magnemite met and gave him some development considering he hadn't been explored much in this series, but other than that just your average filler tbf. I will say one thing, Sakuragi certainly doled out social commentary with talking about the doorknob cover and I do say he has a point, as a millennial, I had never heard of them, let alone know anyone who has used them.
So…on one hand, I’m surprised people don’t know what doorknob covers are…but on the other hand…this is still a show from Japan, where lots of doors slide and thus lack a knob…my childhood home had some doorknobs that were really beat up and hard to turn so the covers provided extra grip so we wouldn’t get stuck. Sometimes you just don’t wanna buy a new doorknob, y’know?

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
So…on one hand, I’m surprised people don’t know what doorknob covers are…but on the other hand…this is still a show from Japan, where lots of doors slide and thus lack a knob…my childhood home had some doorknobs that were really beat up and hard to turn so the covers provided extra grip so we wouldn’t get stuck. Sometimes you just don’t wanna buy a new doorknob, y’know?
I'm well aware that this is a show from Japan, but personally I've simply never seen doorknob covers in my life, so I didn't know they existed.

Trillion

my first time seeing a doorknob cover was thanksgiving 2021. so it's funny that one was brought up in this episode lol. i didn't even know it was a thing before that

the one i saw was plastic though

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
this is the greatest thing
i’m literally wheezing
Just wait until you get to Chairem Anime: Sofaden. Though don't watch Chairem Anime Next Generations. Bomoko really doesn't live up to her mom

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Overall, I thought this was a sweet episode, and it did hit well on an emotional level. I liked how they explored Renji and Francois' background, and they did a good job of showing how much Renji cared about his Pokemon. I also liked that this episode tried to address one of the community criticisms about the Kecleon episode by having a line or two explaining what was happening and why. It was only a line or two from Sakuragi, but it added a bit more to the episode.

The constant flashbacks kind of made the plot harder to follow at times. (Minor nitpick here: they kept reusing the same animation here, which was irritating).

Technically, I don't think this episode counts as filler since it does provide character development and backstory for a minor character and his Pokemon.

Honestly, I thought for certain that Team Rocket was causing this because they almost always seem to be the cause for most phenomena in this show anymore
I had the same thought halfway through the episode, and I was disappointed that the cause was a lot more mundane. This would have been a perfect TR plot.

The ending was huh? Renji just hugged his Magnemite and everything went back to normal.
This is an odd criticism. How many times has a brainwashed and crazy main character been returned to normal by their trainer hugging them or doing the "I know you're in there" thing?

And it's not like this episode didn't hang a huge lampshade on that trope at the end by asking if it was the hug that brought Francois back or the beam being shut off at that exact moment.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
This is an odd criticism. How many times has a brainwashed and crazy main character been returned to normal by their trainer hugging them or doing the "I know you're in there" thing?

And it's not like this episode didn't hang a huge lampshade on that trope at the end by asking if it was the hug that brought Francois back or the beam being shut off at that exact moment.
Maybe it's a trope but I thought the previous similar scenes have at least decent pacings or writings to back them up, so I was kinda expecting more. I mean that's a valid criticism and I'm pretty sure they can do better than this, unless they aren't bothered to do anymore.

This episode was boring

ShadowForce720

So when the Magnemite were all clumped together was it literally a case where had Ash and his Pikachu not stopped and separate them that they would have merged and evolve into a completely new Pokémon that wasn’t Magneton nor Magnezone.

I asked this because when the clump was about to be hit by thunderbolt a giant eye suddenly formed and seemed to try to absorb the thunderbolt.

So that means that would mean that Magnemite has a branched evolution line that breaks down like this:

Magnemite- - - > Magneton- - - > Magnezone

or

Magnemite(+ 100+ Magnemite(or however many it was)) - - - > ????

Whether this whole situation is just anime exclusive or if it’s hinting at a new mechanic or form of evolution that will be introduced in gen 9 it’s certainly interesting to think about.

At least the dub is reliable for openings - every season...

I actually really enjoyed this episode, especially for what expected. I was joking about the "Dare Da?" segment. 7/10. If you dislike episodes like these it might be a 5 for you.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Honestly I suspect we might not get a new opening even if it's outdated in stuff like Inteleon. They probably have the opening pokedex card for the mons and the opening itself serves as a finale of sorts what with showing Ash vs Leon and the fact everyone is on a journey and meeting various places
I would kill for a new opening but since we didn't get one after New year's.....I suspect this is final

Honestly I suspect we might not get a new opening even if it's outdated in stuff like Inteleon. They probably have the opening pokedex card for the mons and the opening itself serves as a finale of sorts what with showing Ash vs Leon and the fact everyone is on a journey and meeting various places
I would kill for a new opening but since we didn't get one after New year's.....I suspect this is final
Yeah, I do think they should update it at the least, though, like they do in the intro (where the narrator says that Ash wants to battle Leon and that Goh wants to catch Mew).

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It was a sweet episode, the only criticism I really have it that it should have happened earlier on in the series and not 100 episodes in :rolleyes: