• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Nuzlocking Experiences

Luxvan

Mozilla Fennekin
Emerald, reset like 10 times to fight May right before Mauville City, only to have 2 out of 4 Pokemon get obliterated with Self-Destruct from Watson. Since my last 2 were both grass, I quit.
Then it was FireRed, where I buffed my Charmander to insane levels, and came across the most vicious Butterfree ever. PoisonPowder + SuperSonic, and Charmeleon would NOT get a hit. I tried training some others, but they died right as I was getting them to where they needed, so I gave up on that.

Pyroli

Banned
I had a very successful Nuzlocke of Heartgold about a year ago.

I had 15 deaths but ended up with a pretty good team in the end. (Meganium, Arcanine, Ampharous, Quagsire, Fearrow, and Espeon)

I tried a Black nuzlocke once, but lost everyone at the second gym. I'd like to do a Leafgreen or Platinum nuzlocke sometime.

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
So if you lose a Pokémon match in Nuzlocke what happens??

Zecaomes

Hey Scotty,Jesus Man
That depends on you. You can make a black out = loss, or you can make black out = build new team with the remaining Pokémon you've got.

Never actually done a Nuzlocke but I've been thinking about it.

I really want to give it a try but pretty much all my games already have save files and I don't want to erase them. I might just get a new game and do one.

You don't have a way to transfer guys from an old GBA game to a newer game?

I Nuzlocked Black and I really enjoyed it. Made things more intense, more interesting, and the stakes felt much higher.

Playing the old fashioned way just seems like it's for babies now.

It truly is life-changing. I barely enjoy playing Pokemon when it's NOT a Nuzlocke.

Doing my first nuzlocke right now (Ruby), started yesterday.

MY MUDKIP DIED. WHY!?

Dude, don't give up. I lost my Mudkip in a run of Ruby, and it was my best run ever. Caught a Torkoal that just murdered everything. That died too, eventually... Then it was all downhill from there...

Toadstool22

The New Guy
Well I am currently Nuzlocking on my old Ruby game, and oh was it harder than I thought it would be, Tochu (Combusken) didn't stand up to Roxanne's Nosepass all to well, thank you my precious little Lotad for coming through. Right now I'm level grinding the heck out of my team in order to prep for Brawly, that's gonna be fun.

Current Team:

Amigo (Lombre) Lv. 20
Mr. Cuddles (Whismur) Lv. 17
Ace (Taillow) Lv. 17
Swarm (Zubat) Lv. 14

Deaths:

Tochu (Combusken) Lv. 18 Cause of Death= That dang Nosepass
Ruff (Poochyena) Lv. 12 Cause of Death= That dang Nosepass
Soar (Wingull) Lv. 12 Cause of Death= THAT DANG NOSEPASS!!
Pook (Cascoon) Lv. 8 Cause of Death= Lucky Crit. by a Wild Taillow (Later to be known as Ace)

Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it -_-

Zecaomes

Hey Scotty,Jesus Man
Ok, I just had my first death in my Black 2 Nuzlocke while training Scraggy for the fourth Gym :/
Usually, when I lose my first Pokémon, everything goes downhill, so I'm not expecting anything good, at least not from that Gym

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
I've done SEVERAL Nuzlockes, but I've only ever beaten one to completion, and that was on Sapphire. That one was an absolute blast, though. I think I still have the summary written down somewhere, so I'll see if I can find it...

EDIT 2: I'VE HAD MY FIRST EVER NUZLOCKE VICTORY!

Here's my E4/Championship team:

295.png
Sean the Exploud, level 52 (Return, Fire Blast, Hyper Beam, Shadow Ball) [Died vs. Steven]

310.png
Gloria the Manectric, level 51 (Thunderbolt, Bite, Thunder, Protect)

130.png
Daniel the Gyarados, level 51 (Earthquake, Dragon Dance, Thrash, Hyper Beam) [Died vs. Steven]

326.png
Porky the Grumpig, level 52 (Psybeam, Psychic, Calm Mind, Confuse Ray)

73.png
Magellaen the Tenatcruel, level 52 (Surf, Acid, Barrier, Ice Beam)

359.png
Alabaster the Absol, level 51 (Aerial Ace, Bite, Iron Tail, Perish Song) [Died vs. Steven]

The entire team made it to Steven alive. I used a little bit of everyone against Sidney (except Porky). Magellaen beat Mightyena; Alabaster beat Shiftry; Sean beat Cacturne, Daniel beat Absol, and Gloria beat Sharpedo. Easy as pie.

Sean was able to sweep Phoebe with Shadow Ball.

Porky was able to sweep Glacia (Calm Mind x6 against her opening Glalie, and then 1 Psychic attack took out her entire team from there).

Magellaen was able to sweep Drake. Barriers + Ice Beams + occasional Full Restores. And I was impressed that I was able to sweep three consecutive Elite 4 members with one pokemon each.

I was not able to sweep Steven, though; nor did my entire team emerge unscathed. I opened with Daniel against his Skarmory. Dragon Dance x6 (while occasionally Full Restoring against Toxic). He ended up switching Skarmory out, and Daniel was able to sweep Cradilly, Claydol, and Armaldo. Unfortunately, Daniel fell to Aggron when I forgot to use a Full Restore after it was confused from Thrash. :( After that, I bought out Sean who proceeded to MISS THREE FIRE BLASTS IN A ROW. I ended up hitting it with 2 Fire Blasts, but it was not able to kill the Aggron, and Sean fell in battle, as well. :( Magellaen came in for the revenge kill with Surf, and that brought Skarmory back out. Gloria was able to make short work of the steel bird. Then came the Metagross, and I was feeling bad. My Earthquake user and my Fire Blast user were both dead. But luckily I came prepared with a backup plan! I sent out Alabaster to use Perish Song opening turn. Metagross responded with Meteor Mash, shuffling off Alabaster's mortal coil. Still, his sacrifice will never be forgotten, because he gave me the means to finish off Metagross. With Perish Song counting down, I sent out Gloria who proceeded to Protect herself from Earthquake for 2 turns in a row (Woo! Lucky double Protect!). With only one turn left on the Perish Song, I switched out to Porky who easily survived Metagross' last Earthquake attempt. The Song claimed its victim, and I was victorious!

I've had a few other close calls. Most notably:

A HeartGold Nuzlocke in which I got all 8 badges in Johto and then lost to the frickin' Kimono Girls. I was running an added restriction that I refused to heal during battle, and the fact that you get no breaks between the Kimono battles killed me. Ironically, my entire team survived to the very last Kimono Girl, but they were all so battered and injured that she was able to defeat them all. Waugh!

I have actually YET to beat Black 2 because I tried my first two playthroughs as Nuzlockes and lost both. On my first playthrough, I got all 8 badges but was taken apart by Zinzolin and Colress on the Plasama Ship. They ran all Ice and Steel types, and I lost my fire type (Emboar) to a random critical hit right before I got to the ship. Ugh! And my second playthrough, I got all the way past those two, but Black Kyruem and Ghetsis tore me apart. If I recall correctly, I actually survived and beat them, but I was down to 2 pokemon left on my team. And then I got to Victory Road and every pokemon I tried to raise as a replacement kept getting luck-killed (crits), so I just gave up on it. I never actually lost, though....

I don't know if I'll try another run on Black 2 as a Nuz or maybe a monotype, but I probably should beat it at least once before X/Y come out.

Chewiana Jones

Dunsparciologist
I tried one once, but gave up once, having already had over half of the total Pokemon that I had caught die, both my starter (a Prinplup close to Empoleon level) and my friendship-evolved Pikachu died on the same day.

BunniBear4

Pokémon Trainer
I had a highly successful Nuzlocke on Sapphire. I know I only lost one Slakoth and that's it. I know I beat Steven and my Plusle managed to take out his Metagross with thunder but otherwise I don't remember any deaths. It was awhile ago so I could have forgotten if someone did during Steven, but I do remember some close calls and potions saving the day and stuff like that.

Jonah the Slaking

Couch-bound Warrior
I've done...like...11 nuzlockes now, I think. Two with no deaths. Five of them are documented, and will be made into stories. (The first is already in progress--the link is in my sig.)

I'm pretty good at Nuzlocking, I'd say. I've never gone through a game with more than three deaths. I've had a lot of close calls, though--whether they be that one thing with Solarbeam, or the Fire Punching Alakazam, or even the Togetic vs. Gyarados ultimate showdown. What's that? Details? I might post those later, if I remember half of them.

YDT

Positively Ecstatic
I've done a few and always lost miserably. Heartgold I beat bugsy on my third try, and then lost to a growlithe destroying my team. In diamond I couldn't get past the first team galactic encounter. I feel like I'm just too much of a risk taker (even though I'm a rather cautious person), I have no idea why I do so bad.

xEryChan

Demon Child
I've started a Nuzlocke Challenge on my SoulSilver game and I'm really excited for it.

Rune_Ocarina

Started my first nuzlocke starting with Soul Silver a few weeks ago. I got greedy with my Slowking getting two quick claws in a row that knocked out Morty's Gastly and Haunter and so I thought I could try my luck with Gengar - either taking at least one hit or getting a third Quick Claw activation. Neither happened and lost my Slowking. After that I really didn't care and just mindlessly went through the game until I got to Chuck's gym where everyone died except my Bayleef and my stupid Beedrill where I called it quits. I never realized how my Slowking's death could be so demoralizing to me.

General_Ridley

Palace Maven Spenser
Well, as of last night I have completed two Nuzlocke runs. One in Emerald, one in LeafGreen.

Emerald was a frustrating run at times. I lose my Beautifly to Brawly thanks to a lucky crit with vital throw, and my Aron, a mud slapping machine, got taken out by a shock wave from Wattson's Magneton after getting confused. I caught a shiny Poochyena after that battle. I wound up relying hevily on my Swampert, who steamrolled almost everything in his way with ice beam, earthquake, and surf.

I finished the LeafGreen run last night, and the only pokemon I lost in the endgame was my Beedrill, who would have survived and killed that damn Venusaur if he had just two more levels, or even a nature more supportive of physical attacks than modest. A +5 Special Attack Solarbeam couldn't kill him without Overgrow being involved, which unfortunately happened as Beedrill knocked Venusaur down to maybe 5-10 HP. Aerodactyl proceeded to finish the job that Beedrill started. Otherwise, everything went pretty well. Snorlax took out Alakazam with shadowball, Haunter took out Pidgeot and Gyarados with thunderbolt, and Blastoise took out Rhydon and Arcanine with surf, I lost a number of pokemon I would have liked to have, like the Dratini I bought at the game corner, but my team wound up pulling it off.

I have a Platinum run started (in which any bidoof I catch seems inevitably to die) and will also be starting a Heartgold run that won't end until I've beat Red.