• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Online Self vs. Your IRL Self

Becoming

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
I'm two completely different people. IRL, i'm shy n' quiet, online, i'm much more talkative. I also use a lot more emotion online, like :D and :( I sorta use monotone IRL. And i'm a lot more friendly and confident ove the internet :D Also, I hardly share my opinions IRL (at least with strangers), but will do it often over the internet.

CasteliaUmbreon

Castelia's Finest
I'm fairly similiar in both worlds, maybe a little more forward or bold online but my actual personality is still the same~

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
I use less sarcasm and am generally nicer IRL. Although I suspect that most sarcastic internet folk are like that. (much like the hordes of I'M OUTGOING ONLINE BUT AM A HERMIT IRL people)

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
^ Pretty much the same, but I'm rather sarcastic in real life too. Although, I tend to share my snarkier comments with my friends since it's rather pointless if the people they are aimed at don't get it... hey, it's high school.

zipzap713

@Peteyism
Eh I'm pretty much the same. My sense of humor translates across both the internet and IRL. I'll talk to some people more online than IRL, but other than that, no difference.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Pretty much the same but I feel it's much easier to voice my opinions here since I don't have a lot of friends that still play.

NAEWIG

Im about the same...
On internet, Im more free to say things I wouldnt say on real.
On both Im talkative, but on internet Im more free to talk about my interests, and about myself

poizonsting

Pokemon master
I'm sort of shy both on the interweb an on real life, however, I'm more open once I get to know the person well. I'm less sarcastic and nicer in real life as well :D

Rave

Banned
I'm more open, confident and bolder on the internet, than I am IRL. I have struggles IRL dealing with talking with people, as I'm a very shy individual, unconfident when I speak, and get very nervous and scared.

So yeah... I have my own demons to fight in the real world.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
My online personality hardly differs from how I act in real life. I appear as shy or quiet to people who don't know me, but to others who do I'm pretty social.

Although... my personality can be... sporadic, depending on my mood.

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
I'm massively bigoted in real life, and I'm constantly quoting cartoon shows.

pkmnjaja

I'm shy and quiet in real life. I try to talk in proper grammar online.

Note: Notice the (try).

Armando Payne

I'm far more critical and douchey in Online form, sometimes, other times, I'm just like my RL self, polite, and informative, and always eager to help peeps.

I'm about the same. I'm a bit nicer online as i fear offending someone and it's a lot easier to say something that will offend because lots of different people will read my posts.

However saying that, unless i've specified that i am meaning what i say it's their own fault of they get offended.

DJMonty

<--- Currently REing
I'm generally the same. I've been much quieter since I ordered Pokemon Sapphire, so the teachers won't notice the sudden change in volume from me being really loud, obnoxious, and random to me being quiet and staring at my crotch all lesson long. So perhaps I can SR for a Shiny Mudkip at school.

Profesco

gone gently
A somewhat more serious, if equally narcissistic, reply.

The ways I communicate on here - humor, vocabulary, favorite talking points and buttons that can be pushed - that's all true to real life. I make lame puns, I use unnecessarily ornate language, I waffle over philosophical thoughts, and I can be passive-aggressive/self-righteous when dealing with people who antagonize kids, well-meaning folks, or innocent bystanders.

There are differences I've noticed, though. Online, I say more. That's because it's all written, I think. What would cost me a sentence and a tone of voice in real life might cost me a paragraph or two here. The trouble is that I'll end up writing more but conveying less, or conveying it poorly. There are times here when I've written something I intended to be clear, reasonable, and pointed, and it ended up sounding more long-winded and combative.

That's had the effect of getting people upset with me and leading to boring, annoying, mistaken problems we'd never have offline. A few years ago, I cared enough to try and avoid it, but lately I've given up on trying to polish and protect other people's opinions of me - it's too easy for somebody to misconstrue their own points or the points of others, and trying to run around keeping it all accurate and getting the communication clear takes way too much energy and is often unsatisfying anyway. Now I just do the best I can and let other people keep up their end.

That's the major thing, anyway. Online, I'm apt to say more than is necessary, just because I'm writing and have the ease and time to fall into overspeaking. In real life, more often than not I'm listening instead of speaking. I'm generally well known in my social circles for speaking only that which is appropriate, and only at appropriate moments. Unfortunately, it's far more difficult to express reflective wisdom online. ;)

pirate555

Word.
I'd find it difficult to compare my online self with my IRL self, seeing as neither of them are singular. Whether I'm speaking to my family, my partner, a good friend, an acquaintance, a university professor or a stranger massively changes how I act and how people perceive me. The same applies to how I act on a largely anonymous forum compared to catching up with an old friend on facebook.

I try not to be too much of a chameleon though, and there are some commonalities. I tend to be fairly honest, open, and positive, and I refrain from putting forward a controversial opinion unless I feel particularly moved to give it. Most of all, I try to make my presence a positive effect for everyone who comes across me. That's not to say that I succeed; I don't always cheer people up, or give good advice, etc. - but I do try. I'm outgoing in almost all situations except the extremely unfamiliar or the very formal occasion (since I went to uni) and I'm a pretty optimistic goodwilled person. I'm horribly forgetful though and can sometimes be troubled by laziness and insecurity. But I work through it.

There are differences I've noticed, though. Online, I say more. That's because it's all written, I think. What would cost me a sentence and a tone of voice in real life might cost me a paragraph or two here.

This too. I shy away from a lot of humour and sarcasm if I'm writing, since it's easy to cause confusion or have my meaning misconstrued.

Last edited: