• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your opinion of making marijuana legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

victreebel007

I can't see the harm of it, when you are stoned you just stay at home and do nothing.

However the long term effects are rather serious, marijuana usage can lead to developing schizophrenia and paranoia, if we legalize it we must be prepared to deal with the long term effects and offer the appropriate care to those who develop these unfortunate side effects.

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
I can't see the harm of it, when you are stoned you just stay at home and do nothing.
Thats actually a misconception. Bill gates smoked pot in his collage days. Hears a pretty decent list...

Barack Obama, president-elect. Bill Clinton, 42nd president of the U.S. John Kerry, U.S. Senator and 2004 Democratic nominee for president. John Edwards, multi-millionaire, former U.S. Senator, and 2004 Democratic nominee for vice president. Sarah Palin, governor of Alaska, 2008 Republican nominee for vice president. British Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly, and and Chancellor Alistair Darling. Josh Howard, NBA all-star. New York Governor David Paterson. Former Vice President, Nobel Peace Prize winner, and Oscar winner Al Gore. Former Sen. Bill Bradley, who smoked while playing professional basketball. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, and former New York Governor George Pataki. Billionaire and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

However the long term effects are rather serious, marijuana usage can lead to developing schizophrenia and paranoia, if we legalize it we must be prepared to deal with the long term effects and offer the appropriate care to those who develop these unfortunate side effects.
Just because its legal dosent mean people are gunna turn into daily pot smokers. Pot smokers are pot smokers, the only difference is you wont have to fear going to jail. The only thing THC can do is, if your already having social and mental problems then it can lead to these symptomes getting worse. But I dont think that should be enough reason to make it illegal for mentaly heathy americans.

BTW That one poster must still be looking for the one case where cannabis has caused cancer! lol Were never gunna hear from him again...

Last edited:

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
Murkowski claiming he had never smoked pot and Palin admitting that she had tried it. "I can't claim a Bill Clinton and say that I never inhaled," she said at the time
From a time article.
My point being, smoking pot on occasion isnt going to ruin your life(unless you get caught) or make you unmotivated.

Last edited:

muumajii23

Just putting my input...

If alcohol and tobacco are legal, why the hell is marijuana illegal? They are actually lethal, while there have been no confirmed cases of death from marijuana (There was a source before in this thread). And anyways, if we legalize Marijuana, it could considerably ease up on dealers and drug-based crime. And also, the government would be able to regulate it and make sure that it is pure (see the Prohibition of Post WWI).

That smear campaign was run by over-religious zealots who fed the government false information. (Btw, someone correct if I'm wrong).

Akarin

Sgt. Fgt.
When people are high, most of them aren't aware of what they're doing, so yeah they WOULD drive a car.

Why do you think drunk people drive a car? They don't say "hey let's drive and smash ourselves into another car and kill everyone incluiding ourselves".

Cite sources, please?

The other issue that I find kind of disgusting regarding the illegalisation of marijuana is that you can consume alcohol in quantities that it's possible to kill you. You can overdose on liquor. You cannot overdose on weed.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids

Source, please.

Likewise

"For most of human history, marijuana has been completely legal. It's not a recently discovered plant, nor is it a long-standing law. Marijuana has been illegal for less than 1% of the time that it's been in use. Its known uses go back further than 7,000 B.C. and it was legal as recently as when Ronald Reagan was a boy.

The marijuana (hemp) plant, of course, has an incredible number of uses. The earliest known woven fabric was apparently of hemp, and over the centuries the plant was used for food, incense, cloth, rope, and much more. This adds to some of the confusion over its introduction in the United States, as the plant was well known from the early 1600's, but did not reach public awareness as a recreational drug until the early 1900's."
Taken from http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html

Alchahol actualy does more damage to the human body then marajuana, and it's more addictive then marajuana,
plus if we legalize it, we would also legalize hemp, which is an extremely durable fiber that has a huge number of uses.
Such as, a food that is a great sorce of protein, minerals, and dietary fibre.
Paper, which would save a lot of trees etc.

"REFUSING TO GROW HEMP in America during the 17th, 18th and 19th Centuries WAS AGAINST THE LAW! You could be jailed in Virginia for refusing to grow hemp from 1763 to 1769; Hemp in Colonial Virginia, G. M. Herdon."
Quoted from: http://www.venusproject.com/ethics_in_action/Real_Reason_Hemp_Illegal.html

Plus one of the only reasons that it is illegal is because of a smear campaign against hemp that a few farmers made out of fear....

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Well if it doesn't harm anyone then I do say make it legal, aleast they wouldn't have to worry about being caught. Although I would never take weed regardless if it was harmless or not (I just don't see the appeal of blowing smoke...).

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
(I just don't see the appeal of blowing smoke...).
Remember, thats not the only way to ingest. You can make a WIDE variety of foods or make a tincture where only a few mL would work. Or you could even make the ever elusive Green Dragon with a half pint of vodka with a 1/4 ounce of budz. Or if all else fails buy a vaporizor wich is the safest of ALL methods of ingestion as there is no combustion thus no smoke. Just good 'ol vaporized THC. Choose any method that suits you!

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Just putting my input...

If alcohol and tobacco are legal, why the hell is marijuana illegal? They are actually lethal, while there have been no confirmed cases of death from marijuana (There was a source before in this thread). And anyways, if we legalize Marijuana, it could considerably ease up on dealers and drug-based crime. And also, the government would be able to regulate it and make sure that it is pure (see the Prohibition of Post WWI).

That smear campaign was run by over-religious zealots who fed the government false information. (Btw, someone correct if I'm wrong).

Do i have to repeat this?

Its a gate way drug. People who smoke marijuna are very likely to take other drugs, (the next step would be cocaine)

Jhonny

Officially The Worst

Its a gate way drug. People who smoke marijuna are very likely to take other drugs, (the next step would be cocaine)

If cannabis was legalised and cocaine (really? cocaine as the next step?) was not, then their different criminal statuses might lead to it not being a gateway drug. Besides, the culture is often very different.

??????

That guy.
I could see half the people smoking weed as they defend it against "The Government Man" who wants to take away their joy.

Weed is dangerous. But if it floats your boat on "Cloud 9", go for it. But don't endanger the lives of others.

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
Weed is dangerous.
In what way is weed dangerous that alcohol and tobbacco are not?

Gateway drug? It called choices. YOU choose to do or not do something. It might also have to do with the fact that I have to get my weed from a shady fuc*er that has coke also. Take it off the black market, problem solved.

But don't endanger the lives of others.
I wont endanger your life if you dont tell me how to live. Sound fair?

Okay let met tell you something if marijuana became legal that would be devasting.

Marijuana has over 5000 chemicals that cause cancer!!!

Beer has only 43 chemiclas that cause cancer!

If jamesthefreak says marijauna does not kill, that is just BS,
1. The people who are saying make marijauna legal is drug dealers, they want people to be hooked on the drugs, in order for them to make millions!
2. Are you going to buy marijauna from 7-11 in tiny patches like cigars?
3. marijauna should not be legal because if you say it does not kill, well then cancer catches up to you.
4. Most domestic disputes 30/50 are caused by marijauna while 20/50 are caused by alcohol.

Erienne

Anime high :D
Marijuana has similar if not less effects than even smoking, so I say go for it. The only reason it was banned because timber farmers were afraid that hemp farmers would out surpass them in terms of making paper! Did you know that even our fair Constitution was written on hemp paper?

I don't know if we can afford NOT to legalize it. So many stoners clog our prison system, when all they were found with was a bit of weed. Even Family Guy parodied it, with Brian being found with weed and arrested while Peter, covered in blood with a corpse in the car, was let free. ... back to topic

We can tax the crap out of it anyway, and we can eliminate some drug cartels that survive on making and selling it illegally. As such, our crime rates would drop too.
We can tax it much like cigarettes, aka huge, over 50% taxes on it. Anyone who wants to smoke it should have a big wallet.
If found under the influence of marijuana in the car, you should be given a DUI anyway, since any drug including alcohol impairs your thinking.

The pros of Marijuana legalization:
  • Money. Lots of money.
    Less people in the prison system.
    Less surviving drug cartels.
    Less people ruining their lives with jail time on their record, becoming unemployed/homeless/dead.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
Marijuana should be legalized. I might think about legalizing hard drugs as well, since the majority of violence they cause is simply gangs, etc.

Cigarettes are more dangerous then marijuana. Cigarettes are addictive, and cause cancer, while marijuana does just the opposite. Marijuana can also be used medicinally, of course, and I don't understand why anyone would not want that to be legal.

People who think marijuana is dangerous are simply mislead. It can get you high, and you do stupid things when your high, but alcohol does pretty much the same thing. And besides, once we legalize marijuana, the billions of dollars that is spent dealing with marijuana can be used for drug prevention and rehabilitation programs, and the rest can be used for other things.

Marijuana is a gateway drug? Pssh... yeah right.

Would I do marijuana? No.

Last edited:

Weed didn't make me take heroin a few times. I chose to do that on my own.

Most people know me as the person who will try anything at least once. And that's how I am. I don't do other drugs like that. The only one I do daily is marijuana. And like I said, I am not addicted to it, because you can't get addicted to it like you can get addicted to heroin. I liked the effects of heroin, but I had enough self-control to stop after the first few times.

^ YES. PEOPLE WHO SMOKE WEED HAVE SELF-CONTROL. It's amazing! o:
not really. but haha. It's an amazement to hear for some of you.
But if I know I can't smoke weed at a certain time ..I won't.

and btw. You know how I said that it's easy to drive a car while being high? It is. But I know the times when I'm not able to drive, and I'll make me and my friends sit around till I cool off ..because I have that self-control ..and my mind is still that aware to know that I might harm someone if I drive. So ..what do you think of that, people who think that weed makes you unaware of everything around you? :x

Weed, I smoke on a daily basis. And if I miss a day without smoking weed, I don't murder people or sell my home for money.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Weed didn't make me take heroin a few times. I chose to do that on my own.

Most people know me as the person who will try anything at least once. And that's how I am. I don't do other drugs like that. The only one I do daily is marijuana. And like I said, I am not addicted to it, because you can't get addicted to it like you can get addicted to heroin. I liked the effects of heroin, but I had enough self-control to stop after the first few times.

^ YES. PEOPLE WHO SMOKE WEED HAVE SELF-CONTROL. It's amazing! o:
not really. but haha. It's an amazement to hear for some of you.
But if I know I can't smoke weed at a certain time ..I won't.

and btw. You know how I said that it's easy to drive a car while being high? It is. But I know the times when I'm not able to drive, and I'll make me and my friends sit around till I cool off ..because I have that self-control ..and my mind is still that aware to know that I might harm someone if I drive. So ..what do you think of that, people who think that weed makes you unaware of everything around you? :x

Weed, I smoke on a daily basis. And if I miss a day without smoking weed, I don't murder people or sell my home for money.

You see, thats how drug addicts think.

They think that they take drugs becasue they just wanna, but guess what?
They end up getting addicted.

There is no self control when you take any drug.

Thats what you people don't get.

Drugs get you addicted. Its just like cigarettes.

Man, you people don't get it.

Erienne

Anime high :D
You see, thats how drug addicts think.

They think that they take drugs becasue they just wanna, but guess what?
They end up getting addicted.

There is no self control when you take any drug.

Thats what you people don't get.

Drugs get you addicted. Its just like cigarettes.

Man, you people don't get it.

Actually, marijuana isn't addictive. True, I think it's stupid to take any drug, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.