• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your opinion of making marijuana legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMew7

what up daddy in the house
You do know the side effects of Marijuana don't you?

Hero

OOHH YEE YOU WANT ME

Are these the medically proven schizophrenia/paranoid delusion kind of side effects ? Cos yeah I think they're about as common to marijuana smokers as they are to normal people, and i've read a lot of things both claiming to prove or refute it in some way. And in my books, if something is obviously going to cause you harm, it wouldnt take so damn long to find out about it. If it's going to make you mad, there should be a hell of a lot of irrefutable cases and examples to prove it.

Mawile412

Problem
my opinion: who cares? do what you want and be done with it. sure i think it should be legalized. there are worse things out there for you

Edit: i think a person who's expirenced with marijuana would know the side effects :\

Last edited:

greyinferno

Acetrainer Grey

Yes, actually, i do. Firstly the way you think changes so that you are able to concentrate on single tasks easier but multiple tasks seem more difficult to you. This is useful in many ways as it can help you concentrate better on getting work done or even just become more skilled at a game. You are also subject to a euphoric sensation that makes the world a more vibrant place to be. Sorry to sound like a drugged up hippy but I am 100% sober at the time of writing this and i can assure you that (at least in mine and my friends' case) it is all true. Canneboids are a natural substance that animals have been consuming since before humans had evolved. This has been proven in scientific studies and 'canneboid receptors' have been found to have developed in the brain over millions of years of marijuana consumption. As for cannabis being a harmful substance, that is a vague statement to make. Any substance can be harmful if consumed in extreme amounts. I have known people to have bad experiences from marijuana but I am certain that this is because they smoked it with a negative mindset and thus led to a psychosomatic downward spiral. I myself have never been known to experience marijuana badly and I think this is due to the fact that I am perfectly comfortable smoking it. As for the subject of legalisation, cannabis does not cause any harm to other people except possibly the passive smoking of any tobacco used to 'chip' a joint. The criminalisation of marijuana has a long histroy dating back to the 1800s filled with lies and racism. Since then it has recieved vast amounts of negative government propaganda to get it off the market. A man called William Hearst didnt want hemp jeopardising his investments in the timber industry and began to force leaflets such as this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Killerdrug.jpg
into circulation. He also spead the word that this 'mexican plant makes darkies and foreigners violent and more likely to rape'. Much of this propaganda is still evident today on a smaller scale when looking at such adverts as 'talk to frank', giving cannabis an undeserved bad name. So to summarise, cannabis is a perfectly safe substance that has got a bad name from the greed and racism of others. If you read into the detailed history of criminalisation and still oppose marijuana then you are no better than Mellon or Hearst.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
Wow, I only read this page of the arguement and I am just in awe of how blinded both Hero and Krake. How can you say that marijuana isn't harmful? You must be really stubborn or high. I would love it if you could find a legit document that states the pros of marijuana and actually give sources.

I know about the effects of marijuana, but I don't see how it's harmful in the long term except for addiction. All that Vaporeon4Evr listed is the effects while under the substance.

What I meant when I asked how it was harmful was how it could physically hurt someone, and I guess addiction counts (I don't have one, but I think that it depends on the person). Also, like Hero said, there have been no deaths linked to marijuana as opposed to cigarettes and alcohol.

Also...
http://usliberals.about.com/od/patriotactcivilrights/i/MarijuanaProCon.htm

I'd look for more sources, but I'm going on a roadtrip soon, so I don't have the time.

Last edited:
No. I don't know any of the effects of marijuana. :(

jfdjdfkjfgddf.
SHIT.

Marijuana isn't so much of a complicated drug. Everyone reacts differently while under some sort of drug.

Hm, let's see. Well technically you can get addicted to anything ..even things you don't even put into your body. So the addiction thing really isn't too big, especially while talking about weed. If you want BAD addictions, see nicotine or heroin, ect (the things that will actually cause people to go into withdraw ..and will actually cause them physical and emotional distress/pain until they get some more.)
Weed, on the other hand, is nothing more than just getting a person to be dependent on it. You might feel that you don't feel happy, unless you're high ..which will cause you to want to smoke it 24/7.

Talking about me on the other hand. I used to smoke weed like ..extremely bunches all the time. Because honestly ..I just loved being high (exact answer.) But I was able to be happy without the weed, I was my normal self. Weed never took over my life LOL.
Nowadays I only smoke when I'm able to. Like if I go out and a friend is like "yo i have some green, you smoking?"

Nicotine let's talk about that addiction. I just recently quit smoking cigarettes for over a month now. Funny thing is the only way I was able to quit was when i was sick, because I couldn't even smoke anything at the time because my throat was so sore and i was so sick.
There are times right now, when I'm at work especially, because the girl I work with takes MAAAAD cigarette breaks, and she will offer me cigarettes, and I'm like fighting between "NO. you've been good for a month now, don't ruin it" and "I NEED THAT JUST ONEEEE."

I never hear of accidents caused by people being high off weed. Anyone have any sources for them?
A lot of the people that smoke weed (even a lot of it), become very successful people, while still being able to smoke weed every now and then.

People like 2 PACMOOOON, kinda make it seem like potheads are nothing but stupid tards that are forever like *notice the chingy eyes* "yo ..haahah, man u is so stoned."
But no. Lots of potheads are actually very intelligent indeed.

I don't need sources. it's a known thing. People can tell you stories of potheads they know or heard of, and how they are living it big.

Djevelsk

Fabled Sex God
It would be a good move for society, but not for the economy.
Alcohol is legal because it's hard to produce at home, and therefore you can afford to put tax on it.
However, Marijuana is an easily produced substance, which means the Government wouldn't make much money from it, and less money would be spent on alcohol eventually, though Tobacco purchases would rise.
They can't legalize it because it'd look like a victory to those who use it.
But at the end of the day it produces less crime than alcohol.

MewMan

Spikeshell Trainer
It would be a good move for society, but not for the economy.
Alcohol is legal because it's hard to produce at home, and therefore you can afford to put tax on it.
However, Marijuana is an easily produced substance, which means the Government wouldn't make much money from it, and less money would be spent on alcohol eventually, though Tobacco purchases would rise.
They can't legalize it because it'd look like a victory to those who use it.
But at the end of the day it produces less crime than alcohol.

Making alcohol at home isn't impossible. There are lots of home-brewing kits that you can get, but they're not extremely popular. Sure, if it was legalized a lot of people would grow it at home, but I also think a very large percentage would buy it at stores just for the convenience. Not everybody has the time or motivation to grow their own, and it does take some experience before you can start growing good quality weed.

Keeping marijuana illegal is completely indefensible. I challenge anybody to come up with legit reasons for it to be illegal.

Profesco

gone gently
*puff of smoke*

There's an entire thread's worth of counterpoints and opposing reason to everything you just scribbled. ~_~

I challenge anybody to come up with legit reasons for it to be illegal.

Anybody did. This whole thread is full of anybody doing so repeatedly.

Keeping marijuana illegal is completely indefensible.

Oh sorry, we didn't know. So any second now, we'll be hearing breaking newscasts announcing legalization, right?

Seriously, folks. Please show some consideration for the members who've spent the past couple weeks debating this stuff already. I apologize for these very snarky replies, but it's extremely frustrating when someone comes late into a debate completely unannounced and boldly claims that they have the irrefutably correct resolution to the topic under discussion, especially when they ignore prior counters to the repeat opinions they're trying to pass off as unassailable facts. =|

Last edited:

Manly Blissey

Basing my opinion fully on the Family Guy episode based on this, I am totally against the legalization of marijuana.

But seriously, productivity would decrease, general health would decrease, and the overall welfare of the population would be affected negatively.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
Keeping marijuana illegal is completely indefensible. I challenge anybody to come up with legit reasons for it to be illegal.

Learn to burden of proof.

Article said:
From here.

~Research on the long-term effects of marijuana abuse indicates some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs. For example, cannabinoid withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system3 and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine.4 Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

~Long-term marijuana abuse can lead to addiction; that is, compulsive drug seeking and abuse despite its known harmful effects upon social functioning in the context of family, school, work, and recreational activities. Long-term marijuana abusers trying to quit report irritability, sleeplessness, decreased appetite, anxiety, and drug craving, all of which make it difficult to quit. These withdrawal symptoms begin within about 1 day following abstinence, peak at 2–3 days, and subside within 1 or 2 weeks following drug cessation.5

For starters. Oh, and since there are so many schmucks on the internet with opinions, make sure you check the credibility of your sources before citing some hothead blogger who claims there is nothing bad about marijuana. The above article is a government document: the most credible form of information you are likely to find on the internet.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I think medical marajuana should be legal, but only for medical purposes. There are many worse substances that are used as medicines.

Manly Blissey

I think medical marajuana should be legal, but only for medical purposes. There are many worse substances that are used as medicines.

This is a good thought, but many people have the ability to go outside the boundaries of medical marijuana.

The Mushroom

Basing my opinion fully on the Family Guy episode based on this, I am totally against the legalization of marijuana.

But seriously, productivity would decrease, general health would decrease, and the overall welfare of the population would be affected negatively.

Hmm, basing your opinion on an episode of Family Guy? Seriously?
Could you at least explain it? It's easy for people who never tried it, or don't like
to say they're against it. Ofcourse, everyone has the right to choose.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
This is a good thought, but many people have the ability to go outside the boundaries of medical marijuana.

I noticed that, but most prescriptions go beyond the boundaries of being used for medical purposes. I think we already have that problem with Viocden and other painkillers which are highly addictive and decimate one's liver.

However, this does not justify the side effects of cannabis. Apparently the FDA wants to make Tylenol prescription and Vicoden illegal; if it was up to me, I'd do this, and legalize marajuana as prescription to replace Vicoden.

MewMan

Spikeshell Trainer
There's an entire thread's worth of counterpoints and opposing reason to everything you just scribbled. ~_~

Anybody did. This whole thread is full of anybody doing so repeatedly.

Oh sorry, we didn't know. So any second now, we'll be hearing breaking newscasts announcing legalization, right?

Seriously, folks. Please show some consideration for the members who've spent the past couple weeks debating this stuff already. I apologize for these very snarky replies, but it's extremely frustrating when someone comes late into a debate completely unannounced and boldly claims that they have the irrefutably correct resolution to the topic under discussion, especially when they ignore prior counters to the repeat opinions they're trying to pass off as unassailable facts. =|

What am I supposed to do? Read through the entire thread to try and get my point across? Look for the last point that hasn't been countered? I just want to know why anybody thinks that marijuana shouldn't be legal so I can debate with them now. I also don't like the way you're already setting up the pro-marijuana argument to be full of opinion and devoid of facts.

This exactly. The fact that it qualifies as Schedule I on an act passed in 1970 really takes away the whole "unjust racism in the 1920's" argument. And seeing as that and "it's not that bad" are the only arguments for legalization really being presented here, it's just not too convincing.

But it does all stem from racism in the 1920s. That was the original reason it was made illegal. When Richard Nixon reclassified it in the 1970s, it wasn't for any scientific reason. He spent a lot of money on research and when it didn't come back with any hard facts against marijuana, he totally disregarded the report that he'd commissioned and went ahead with keeping it illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Profesco

gone gently
What am I supposed to do? Read through the entire thread to try and get my point across?

Well... yes, to be quite honest. o_o

At the very least, the last two or three pages, in addition to the first post (which is simply general forum etiquette, of course =P). How much of the thread did you read before challenging anybody to provide an argument?

I also don't like the way you're already setting up the pro-marijuana argument to be full of opinion and devoid of facts.

I didn't set it up that way. ;)

But seriously, I didn't say any such thing. I gave mention to the fact that an entire debate has been going on with arguments and counter-arguments from both sides. More objective and more factual arguments than your previous post have been launched and disputed already. It's all there for you to read when you have the time. =)

MewMan

Spikeshell Trainer
Well... yes, to be quite honest. o_o

At the very least, the last two or three pages, in addition to the first post (which is simply general forum etiquette, of course =P). How much of the thread did you read before challenging anybody to provide an argument?

I didn't set it up that way. ;)

But seriously, I didn't say any such thing. I gave mention to the fact that an entire debate has been going on with arguments and counter-arguments from both sides. More objective and more factual arguments than your previous post have been launched and disputed already. It's all there for you to read when you have the time. =)

What would be the purpose of reading the entire thread? It's pointless stepping into that argument because it's probably already stagnated so I wouldn't get a response anyway, I'd like to start up a debate with someone here who's reading the thread now who disagrees with me.

Lord Dialga

The Deity of Time
I am against the idea of marijuna legalization, and here is why:

Aside from the lives of millions that are threatened by use of the drug, millions of dollars are privately exported to criminal rings that sell and abuse these drugs by mixing them with LSD or even roofies to do disgusting things giving them the slightest pleasure.

If marijuana were legalized, corruption would increase to the point where we considered the drug as useful as timber or electricity. People would be willing to break windows, beat up store clerks out of stock, and capable of the darkest crimes in order to get the rush that marijuana gives them.

Here are some websites I think you'll find convincing:

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm
http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/drug_guide/Marijuana
http://www.doitnow.org/pages/126.html
http://effects-of-marijuana.com/

People who think this drug should be legalized may be passionate, but know this: if you dedicate your lives to legalizing this, then you may have the potential to detroy lives. Be careful what you support.

MewMan

Spikeshell Trainer
I am against the idea of marijuna legalization, and here is why:

Aside from the lives of millions that are threatened by use of the drug, millions of dollars are privately exported to criminal rings that sell and abuse these drugs by mixing them with LSD or even roofies to do disgusting things giving them the slightest pleasure.

If marijuana were legalized, corruption would increase to the point where we considered the drug as useful as timber or electricity. People would be willing to break windows, beat up store clerks out of stock, and capable of the darkest crimes in order to get the rush that marijuana gives them.

Here are some websites I think you'll find convincing:

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm
http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/drug_guide/Marijuana
http://www.doitnow.org/pages/126.html
http://effects-of-marijuana.com/

People who think this drug should be legalized may be passionate, but know this: if you dedicate your lives to legalizing this, then you may have the potential to detroy lives. Be careful what you support.

Are you serious? I really hope you're trolling.

First of all, marijuana is never cut with LSD. You can't smoke LSD, and a dealer wouldn't cut a cheaper drug with a much more expensive drug.

How exactly does marijuana "threaten lives"?

Corruption wouldn't increase if it was legalized, it'd decrease dramatically. Just like how Prohibition in the 1920s increased criminal activity and corruption, that is what the banning of marijuana does now. And, also like with Prohibition, you'd be removing a huge source of income to criminal activity by legalizing it. If it was legal it'd be much cheaper than what dealers could offer, and they'd no longer have money to fund violent crimes.

I don't know where you got the assumption that marijuana use would lead to an increase in crime. Marijuana isn't as addictive as heroin, cocaine or even alcohol, and in countries where it has been decriminalized there are lower crime rates than the USA and other countries where it's illegal (Source).

Status
Not open for further replies.