1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion of making marijuana legal

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by JamestheFreak, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguinist Trainer

Penguinist Trainer Well-Known Member

I'm going to say marijuana should be legalized. This is not going to be the best argument in the world for it, but it's the only one I know of that makes sense to me.

Every day as I flip through the TV channels, I am bombarded by advertisements for different medications or medical treatments. At the end of every ad there is a long list of disclaimers and potential side-affects from taking the medicine. A lot of those side effects are something horribly debilitating like BLINDNESS, CANCER, even DEATH. But it it perfectly legal to advertise and distribute them in the United States.

The only side affects I have ever heard about Marijuana is that you become extremely mellow/lethargic, and you may experience some hallucinations. You know what, I don't think that's too bad. Hell if you drink enough, you can get the same results. Personally if I don't get any sleep in more than 72 hours, I start to hallucinate and I'm not on any medication.

Here's the way I look at it, if they want to legalize it for recreation or medical purposes, fine whatever. Just put a big warning label on it saying that you can only do it in a residential area. you cannot operate heavy machinery, drive a car, you get the idea.

I don't do drugs with the exception of the occasional drink of hard liquor. I don't believe that crap they try to shove down our throats that marijuana is a gateway drug and if you smoke a joint, your going to want to shoot heroin next. well 1st and foremost, heroin was developed by the medical community as a pain reliever, 2nd, I hate needles, so its highly unlikely.

2. Krake

Krake Flabebe's Kids

Care to elaborate, buddeh?

3. ganonrai

ganonrai Well-Known Member

this is sad...remember when kids palyed poke'mon.

4. PartyPokemon

PartyPokemon L or Kira?

Strangely, no. I don't remember when kids "palyed" anything.

Contributing: if it's legal, it should be sold in stores like alcohol and tobacco, and regulated like them. Because of this regulation, it will be harder for underage people to get a hold of it. Politicians would be all for this.
    Remember, if it's regulated, only adults 18 and over would be able to get it. But with it illegal and unregulated like this, even young children would be able to get a hold of it.

Tell this to any concerned parent who thinks that legalisation would be "dangerous to the children!"

5. chuboy

chuboy <- It was THIS big!

On the contrary, I think parents should be allowed to expose drugs to their children if they are curious. If you grow up drinking wine at the dinner table, you aren't going to become an alcoholic youth who has to drink a sack of cask wine on the side of the road every Friday night because, by this stage, your mentality is 'its alcohol, so what?'

All the people who have no idea how cool alcohol could be then go out and overdo it.

It's the same with smoking and marijuana in my opinion. The easier it is to get, the less people will be obsessed with overdoing it.

I realise this is an anecdote, but for effect: when I was younger I expressed to my parents that I thought it would be cool to smoke. My mother whole-heartedly agreed, went out and bought a whole packet of cigarettes, put them on the table and said 'Come, let's be cool and smoke this whole packet'. She lit one for herself (she isn't a smoker) and one for me. Not even a third of the way through one I was choking and well over the idea, but she insisted that we finish the whole packet. I just ran away, never to smoke again ^_^'

And again, I was always allowed to taste alcohol if I wanted to; now, while my peers get/got wasted of a weekend, I drink only in moderation and only infrequently.

6. I can think of two really simple yet important ways in which legalization of marijuana would be beneficial:
    1) One less crime in the books. Crimes like murder or theft are morally and humanely terrible deeds, so we would be foolish to even consider legalizing them. Meanwhile, the mere fact that legalization of marijuana has been considered and been voted for leads me to believe that it is safe enough to be done so long as it, like alcohol and cigarettes, is regulated in areas where it would potentially be a problem. If it was truly pure evil and guaranteed to turn every user into a crook, there would be absolutely no way that legislation would even let there be a vote about its legalization.
    2) One more product on shelves which would give help to the producers, sellers, and government. It would become just like anything else in the store; it is made by some company to satisfy the needs or desires of the masses; it is sold in a store that gains its income courtesy of such transactions; and it has sales tax which goes to the government.

7. Vermehlo_Steele

Vermehlo_Steele Grand Arbiter II

The only problem I see, is that durggo/a's would use this as justification to use other more potent and lethal drugs, like cociane or meth.
    They would be like "But It's licit under present jurisdiction to use marijuana, so why can't it be permissable to indulge in the production, transporting and consumption of other drugs..."

8. glowing_light010

glowing_light010 •chℓoε•

America is corrupted enough. We don't need MORE drugs.

9. Kingdrom

Kingdrom Turn Away Again

Certainly. I am all for the legalization of marijuana. Despite what law enforcement wants people to believe, it is not a gateway drug in terms of what properties it has. Yes, a dealer who sells pot is more likely to sell other types of illicit drugs than anyone else. People I know who use / sell marijuana illegally, including heavy users, seem to still be able to function in society, and they don't become dangerous to others while under the influence, only funnier (for everyone else and themselves; however this may be simply anecdotal). I would not do weed, but whoever does absolutely should be able to make that choice given that it doesn't harm others.

The real issue with drugs is based on how it taxes (figuratively) the medical system. Drugs can easily exacerbate pre-existing conditions and reduce the overall productivity of the body. Furthermore, dealers are not botanists; the quality of the marijuana is often questionable, especially since it can easily be mixed with other drugs. When they overdose, they have to be taken to the emergency room for immediate treatment. I think that drugs should be more of a "at your own risk" sort of thing; if insurance premiums cover people who are too poor to afford health insurance, instead using the money to buy drugs, then it is affecting my well-being.

I think that legalization of drugs is definitely warranted as long as the government takes safeguards in order to constrict their influence to the drug users alone. Ideally this would be done by establishing need-based rationing for social welfare. In Michigan, where much of the state is on welfare, rednecks conduct private trades, trading food stamps for a slightly less than equivalent amount of cash, and then buying their choice of drug with the cash (usually alcoholic's wine). Here, the government would conduct a blood test and check medical history of the person before determining whether to mandate addiction counseling / groups like the AA or whether they are legitimately needing food stamps. This would be accomplished by a slight excise tax on marijuana. The extra cost would be a guarantee that the product is not fraudulent in any way (i.e., does not also contain heroin).

10. DaAuraWolf

DaAuraWolf *grumble grumble*

I think it should be.Only if the ground made it.

11. GhostAnime

GhostAnime Searching for her...

Marijuana doesn't "corrupt" anything.

12. FEEPtheFlareon

FEEPtheFlareon Crazy but not insane

To be honset, just make it legal. If it's legal, it's no fun anymore. Weed isn't physically addicting, it's mentally addiction. I can't really explain it, I just remember that from psychology class.

13. Mandi.

Mandi. 3:

IT CORRUPTS OUR LITTLE HEADS!

Well, no, if it's legal, you're just not badass anymore while smoking it. Cool kids like illegal stuff yeah. cause when you fight with the cops, you're livin' now!

Actually. the fun and the reason why I, and many others smoke weed, is because of the feeling it gives. it's fun. It being legal won't change it's effects. You just won't get thrown in jail for another stupid reason ..which should die.

14. FEEPtheFlareon

FEEPtheFlareon Crazy but not insane

I wouldn't know b/c I've never smoked it before. Personally, I don't care.;136;

15. Lucille

Lucille Well-Known Member

I'm going to openly admit that I am a pothead. I know that's it not exactly good to smoke pot, but it could be worse. I think one day the governments will legalize it because its just something else that they can make money off of.

16. 7 tyranitars

7 tyranitars Well-Known Member

well marijuana is legal here or partial since you can have only 4 grams and you can't sell, or grow it but alcohol is even more dangerous then marijuana so I think it's ok

17. 1-Up Mushroom

1-Up Mushroom +1 Life!

I believe it should be legalized everywhere, but only for medical usage, or be legalized everywhere, and just have similar restrictions to those of both alcohol and smoking.

18. Pikapwned3

Pikapwned3 Mr. Pringles

People would just use it unresponsibly. I just don't want to see that.

19. Mandi.

Mandi. 3:

and you honestly believe the fact that something is legal or illegal makes a difference in that?

hell, if it becomes legal, more people would treat it similar to how they treat drinking. Drink responsibly. y'know, it would now become 'Smoke dat weed responsibly now.'

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  20. Zenotwapal

Zenotwapal have a drink on me

no.

In fact, it'll work the same way people drink.
    No matter what, people will over do almost everything
    Including weed
    It being illegal or legal won't make a difference in how people use it either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.