• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
Status
Not open for further replies.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Emboar is personally my least fave of the Unova starters, but I don’t think it’s ugly or terrible. It’s still a nice hard-hitting physical attacker with some nice TM and Move Tutor coverage. It’s just because it happened to be the third consecutive Fire/Fighting starter that I think caused all the hate it generated. I don’t see Emboar being hated on much these days which shows many have gotten over it.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Emboar is personally my least fave of the Unova starters, but I don’t think it’s ugly or terrible. It’s still a nice hard-hitting physical attacker with some nice TM and Move Tutor coverage. It’s just because it happened to be the third consecutive Fire/Fighting starter that I think caused all the hate it generated. I don’t see Emboar being hated on much these days which shows many have gotten over it.

I don’t see Serperier or Samurott able to take down Mega Rayquazzas!

Golden_Arcanine

It’s just because it happened to be the third consecutive Fire/Fighting starter that I think caused all the hate it generated.

I would probably agree with that statement. We had 3 straight Fire/Fighting types, so how does Emboar differentiate from Blaziken and Infernape? Blaziken was probably the best because of it's access to a mega evolution, and it has a clear role. Given how much speed played a part of the metagame, Emboar's lack of speed really hurt it even though it hit a little harder.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I would probably agree with that statement. We had 3 straight Fire/Fighting types, so how does Emboar differentiate from Blaziken and Infernape? Blaziken was probably the best because of it's access to a mega evolution, and it has a clear role. Given how much speed played a part of the metagame, Emboar's lack of speed really hurt it even though it hit a little harder.
Which is why you use choice scarf Emboar with max speed ivs

Sakuyamon

Only used an Emboar once and I didn't like it as much as Samurott or Serperior. It can't learn any good physical Fire attacks in B/W that have no downsides.

Siddhar

Transcend
I actually saw a similar thread on another forum. The main reason why folks hate him(I love him!) seems to be the fact that he's the third fire-fighter in a row. That, and for some reason, people don't really dig his design. I love it personally. It matches Infernape's (my personal favourite's) origin in design. Emboar and Infernape's designs were inspired by Journey To The West characters, and I enjoy stuff like that. Also, it was my starter in White when I first played it, an I loved using it.

Last edited:

Sakuyamon

Flame charge

Heat crash

Flare blitz

Fire punch

What else do you need?

Flame Charge is crap since it only does 50 damage.

Heat Crash is too inconsistent because it's damage depends on the weight of the user and target.

Flare Blitz causes recoil damage.

I'll give you Fire Punch because it's the only good physical Fire type move that Emboar could use with no drawbacks and decent attack power even if it's nothing special. Emboar still isn't impressive even with Fire Punch but it has some other good types of moves.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)

Heat Crash is too inconsistent because it's damage depends on the weight of the user and target.

I'll give you Fire Punch because it's the only good physical Fire type move that Emboar could use with no drawbacks and decent attack power even if it's nothing special. Emboar still isn't impressive even with Fire Punch but it has some other good types of moves.
Flame charge raises his low speed

Heat crash could be good if you give him a weight raising item

Flare blitz causes recoil but is very powerful so I’ll give you that one.

TwilightBlade

I recently taught mine Flamethrower because I didn't like any of its physical attacks. I used Heat Crash for a longest time since I have an Emboar on my White team but in the end it didn't seem worth it.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
I like Bianca's Emboar in the anime, other then that it has a decent shiny.

I don't hate Emboar, i just do not care about it.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I never had any issue with Emboar. Gen V is a rare incidence where all of the Starters pretty much have an equal chance of being useful in almost all of the Gyms. There are one or two that can cause some issues for each but nothing too extreme like some of the other regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.