• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Opinion On global warming, and what should humanity do about it?

BlueMew7

what up daddy in the house
The global warming cycle has been around for ages. The earth cools, and the earth warms. The cycle has gone out of wack many times and the earth has been fine. This is just one of those out of wack stages. It's really no big deal. Personally, I think helping the enviroment is good and all, but no one should think that it's the only way to save the earth, which is pretty much what Nickelodeon says. It's just something that isn't worth stressing about.

RayRay

asillywonderfulman
The global warming cycle has been around for ages. The earth cools, and the earth warms. The cycle has gone out of wack many times and the earth has been fine. This is just one of those out of wack stages. It's really no big deal. Personally, I think helping the enviroment is good and all, but no one should think that it's the only way to save the earth, which is pretty much what Nickelodeon says. It's just something that isn't worth stressing about.

I totally agree. There is nothing that the human race can do about the situation. Even if it was our fault, the phrase 'too little too late' springs to mind. For it to make any difference now the super powers of the world, China, USA etc, would need to just stop producing pollution absolutely in all forms. Like, immediately. And even then i don't think that would work! We're potentially stuffed and the world will be all the better for it...ironically.

Hero

OOHH YEE YOU WANT ME
I think that whether youre a genius or not, you have to think that with the amount of pollutant chemicals we've been pumping into the atmosphere in the past 2 centuries, there have to be some adverse effects somewhere down the line surely. I can't say for sure whether or not I'm entirely a believer of global warming because i havent really seen any abnormalities or problems of it first hand. But i think if and when the time comes that there is undeniable proof and we're staring right at an eventual disaster, we'd better pull our finger out and be able to do something pretty big pretty quick. Cos God knows we're not taking any real life-changing steps to change right now.

The Director

Ancient Trainer
I'm not really that concerned. If it isn't true its just another doomsday prophecy using science. And how many doomsday prophecies have come true?

And if it's true.
Humanity i think has got to the point that if pressed we can solve any problem e.g. WW2 sped up technology like the computer and atomic bombs etc. If we are pushed hard enough we can do anything (hopefully).

On what we should do at the moment however if we were to do anything, how about regrowing rainforests, with enough financial and technological aid most of the land could be recovered (again hopefully). Personally the whole idea of saving energy to stop/slow down global warming is not extreme enough for it to fix the problem, merely slow it down.

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I'm not worried. the world would not be affected by it in the coming years.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

Ice is the solid form of water. We all know that solid object contain more dense matter then a liquid substance.

You do know that water is more dense than ice, right? That's why ice floats.

Anyway, I don't believe that global warming is occurring. But if it was, how would man be contributing much to it, exactly? And furthermore, why should we kill our economies to combat it?

Pokemon-Dratini

cutes.u.2.death >: )
how would man be contributing much to it, exactly?

hmm how could man be contributing to global warming, i dont know maybe....cutting down thousands of acres of rain forest, pumping millions of co2 emisions into our atmosphere ...little things like that -.-

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

hmm how could man be contributing to global warming, i dont know maybe....cutting down thousands of acres of rain forest, pumping millions of co2 emisions into our atmosphere ...little things like that -.-

And?
Trees pale in comparison to water autotrophs as sinks of carbon dioxide. Beyond that, the effect of carbon dioxide on warming is miniscule in comparison to that of water vapor. Why is that going to cause the world to burn?

Night_Walker

Well lets break this down, first is the Earth warming currently? No. The Earth's temps have been stagnant if not slightly down for the last decade.
Then why, oh why do stats say the world is warming?
Australia has recorded it's hottest driest years on record during the past 10 years. If things were cooling down;
Why are we having these years?
Why is the iced over season in the Arctic circle taking longer to come and not lasting as long?
Why are the ice sheets over Antarctic, and in other places, shrinking?

These facts just don't match the claims of the deniers. If they did then this wouldn't be an issue.
That's why senator Steve Fielding claims certain information rebuts the idea of climate change then has to run off and find another set of 'stats' to base his argument on when the facts are put on the table.

Also I always wonder what on Earth could climate scientists hope to actually get from lying to the world? As some people assert they are.

Now we have been on a warming trend for a while now, specifically since the Little Ice Age in the 1600s which really threw are cycle out of wrack.
Um are you saying that now we are warming?

Now is man causing the warming? Right now we don't know, and anyone that says they know for sure is lying. Due to the scandals coming out in the scientific community, specifically climate gate it has become nearly impossible to trust anything the scientific community has come to say due to the size and reach of the scandal. Not to mention it is a evolving science, what we learn today could easily be changed tomorrow, at this point even the scientific community has no idea for sure as to why the warming stopped.
Um "climate-gate" was the leaking, by unknown sources, of purported e-mails between scientists which has been leapt upon by people who had already decided climate change isn't real to claim that scientists talking about how to present the data means they're actually trying to figure out a way to skew the figures to make it match their claims.

brandyjay

GET IN THE BAG
Global Warming is a natural process. Why do you think Venus is hotter than Mercury? The fact of the matter is that if it didn't happen in our lifetime it would have happened in another persons lifetime. There is no way that we can stop it. Sure we can slow it down but there is no way to stop it. There are ways to live with it. And we are going to have to explore those ways because we sure as hell aren't going to completely stop Global Warming.

And to all those people that are trying to find a way to deal with it. I suggest buying a fan. If that doesn't help maybe invest in some air-conditioning. :D

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Global Warming is a natural process. Why do you think Venus is hotter than Mercury? The fact of the matter is that if it didn't happen in our lifetime it would have happened in another persons lifetime. There is no way that we can stop it. Sure we can slow it down but there is no way to stop it. There are ways to live with it. And we are going to have to explore those ways because we sure as hell aren't going to completely stop Global Warming.

And to all those people that are trying to find a way to deal with it. I suggest buying a fan. If that doesn't help maybe invest in some air-conditioning. :D

We can stop it if all the people in the world will do the right things. it's not a natural precess, it's something that the human made it happen. and the humans can stop it because they actually made the problem.

brandyjay

GET IN THE BAG
We can stop it if all the people in the world will do the right things. it's not a natural precess, it's something that the human made it happen. and the humans can stop it because they actually made the problem.

Not true. Two of the biggest greenhouse gasses are methane and water vapour. Both of which are not directly released by humans. Most methane comes from the natural swamps of the world and water vapour is part of a natural process.

Yaezakura

Asian Lesbian Gamer

Actually, global warming and cooling is a natural process. It tends to follow the cycles of the sun, as the sun has periods of increased and decreased activity, which affect the climate on earth. Thirty years ago, people were saying all the gas emissions were causing a global cooling trend, since the sun's activity was hitting a low point. We're in the higher points of the cycle, currently.

Now, this is not to say that humans are causing no environmental damage. We almost certainly are. However, we don't have a solid idea of how much damage we are causing, or in what ways we cause it. Furthermore, we have no real idea how to stop it. The simple answer to everything regarding global warming is "We Don't Know". To throw out plans to fix the damage when we don't even understand the damage is silly, and could cause even more problems. It's like trying to fix your house's electrical problems when you're not an electrician--you're just likely to set your house on fire.

There are a few things we should already be working on, this much is true. Moving to renewable energy resources is a big one, if for no other reason than oil and coal will not last forever. There is a finite amount of it. Solar, wind, and hydroelectric energy are all in heavy development. Progress is being made every day, and things are improving in those fields.

Katipunero

Eye in the Sky
We should have done something about it years ago but people didn't listen/believe.Because of that people die from natural calamities

Yaezakura

Asian Lesbian Gamer
We should have done something about it years ago but people didn't listen/believe.Because of that people die from natural calamities

And what, pray tell, should we have done? As I explained in the post directly above yours, no one really understands global warming, or what kind of impact humans have on it. It's entirely possible our impact is negligible. That's the crux of the issue: we don't know. And if we don't know now, we certainly didn't know years ago and somehow just forgot. Until we have a better scientific understanding of what is happening with the planet, acting on anything but the most basic things such as renewable energy is actually more irresponsible than not acting.

Also, how exactly do you blame natural disasters on human action? Hurricanes, tidal waves, and earthquakes just happen. They happened for billions of years before humans showed up. They will happen after we're gone. They're part of the natural mechanics of the world.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Yaezakura since you seem to know your way around this issue, may I ask for some more information in support of why the issue isn't serious and is just 'normal'? From what I've been show, things such as polar bear extinction, glaciers melting, sea level rising, and mountains melting do seem convincing, but I want to hear from you with some things I could possibly read up that you consider credible.

Yaezakura

Asian Lesbian Gamer
Yaezakura since you seem to know your way around this issue, may I ask for some more information in support of why the issue isn't serious and is just 'normal'? From what I've been show, things such as polar bear extinction, glaciers melting, sea level rising, and mountains melting do seem convincing, but I want to hear from you with some things I could possibly read up that you consider credible.

I'm not saying the issue isn't serious. I'm saying that we do not have a comprehensive understanding on the issue, and until we do, anything we may try to do in an attempt to "fix" the problem may make things worse. Even if the global warming trends are entirely natural, it may have far-reaching effects on the world as we know it.

Things to keep in mind, however, are that animal and plant species going extinct is entirely natural. Over 99% of all the species that ever existed were already extinct before humans came around. Only a tiny fraction of all that ever was is here today. As climates and conditions shift, many species die off, to be replaced by new ones better suited to the new environment, who in turn die off when the climate shifts again. Also, drastic changes to the face of the earth are also common on a geologic timescale. The world as it is today is very different from millions of years ago. Sometimes the planet just goes through very drastic changes. Such changes are what allowed us to be here in the first place, by killing off the top creatures that came before us (such as dinosaurs).

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Sigh. Well whether it's man-made or part of Earth's natural cycle, something has to be done or things will get worse. I don't think cutting back on car emissions and using alternative sources of energy could hurt much either.

That's my two cents on this matter.

ganonrai

we're not doing anything, in the middle ages it was hotter than it was now, and the earth is still here, right?