• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Opinion On global warming, and what should humanity do about it?

Frank The Bunny

You give humanity way too much credit! :p but to each is own I suppose. My hopes are the same as yours, I just think it won't happen.

Once people realize the harm they're causing the environment, believe me, they will. Even if it's too late.

PS you reply quickly.

Frank The Bunny

Once again, you give humanity too much credit.

PS, I know :p

In all honesty, not too many threads catch my attention at this moment so I kept an eye on this one.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
While it's true that temperatures and CO2 levels rise and fall naturally, it's pretty clear that we're accelerating this far beyond anything that nature could produce. To those who say that the Earth has survived this kind of thing in the past, I would like to point out that the climate of the Earth heated up significantly at the end of the Permian period, about 250 MYA. As a result, the entire land surface of the planet became a desert and between 90 and 96% of marine life and 70% of terrestrial life became extinct. And we could potentially create an effect worse than that. So, yeah...

I believe it's too late to do much about it. All we can do is try to slow or halt the effect before it gets massively out of hand, and then sit it out...

Lucos

People, it's NOT to late! Scientists keep shouting that over and over again and we have to trust them! If we act quickly and come up with some drastic solutions to our global warming problem within the next 5 to 10 years we could still reverse the downhill route our planet is currently following!

I think we have to get rid of at least 50% of our current traffic. It's proven that our cars are the main cause of our global warming at the moment.

Pokemon-Dratini

cutes.u.2.death >: )
What I don't understand is the physisc behind 'the sea levels rising'.

If you put an ice cube in a glass of water, an that ice cube melts, the water level will still be the same, iirc.

-.- do i really need to respond to this..yes XD

ok an icecube in a cup of water compared to the entire continent of antartica and the oceans >.< umm....not an equal comparison imo...

Pokemon-Dratini

People, it's NOT to late! Scientists keep shouting that over and over again and we have to trust them! If we act quickly and come up with some drastic solutions to our global warming problem within the next 5 to 10 years we could still reverse the downhill route our planet is currently following!

I think we have to get rid of at least 50% of our current traffic. It's proven that our cars are the main cause of our global warming at the moment.

i dont quite know if yur being sarcastic but im gonna think yur not XD

yeah persoanlly i think we should try ad develop more solar powered cars...yes i know it wont take just 3 years to do that but with the amazing mind of the modern era we should be able to do that, or atleast get more electric cars, Its not that people have to stop driving and become amish or anything b/c that is never gonna happen, but we need to use our intelligence to find solutions to help improve the way we live, i mean the air quality in china improved alot during the olympics because the cinese tryed ti impress the other coountries, imagine if they started doing that all the time? people would live much healthier lives.

Night_Walker

It's real and we should do everything we can possibly think of to try to stop it - cause it's not just the human race that will suffer if global warming isn't stopped.

Any economic pain we endure now will be a lot better then it would be if we act later, and if we don't act... well then the economy of the world will go down the drain.

Lucos

-.- do i really need to respond to this..yes XD

ok an icecube in a cup of water compared to the entire continent of antartica and the oceans >.< umm....not an equal comparison imo...

It's really easy to see why the water level will raise if the north pole melts (not Antarctica since that's a solid continent, the north pole is just a big rock of ice).

Ice is the solid form of water. We all know that solid object contain more dense matter then a liquid substance.

If I would take a swimming pool and throw in loads of ice, check the water level, wait till the ice has fully melt, I bet your *** that the water level in the pool raised.

Skull-Kid

It's real and we should do everything we can possibly think of to try to stop it - cause it's not just the human race that will suffer if global warming isn't stopped.

Any economic pain we endure now will be a lot better then it would be if we act later, and if we don't act... well then the economy of the world will go down the drain.

What you said.

Totally agree with this. If some day I have kids I don't want them to live it in a suffering world.

The sad thing is as much as people campaign and advertise, some people don't are. The fact we live such comfortable lives is why we are so vulnerable.

I don't think global warming is happening, but at the same time it's nice to see peoples awareness of what could or can happen.

Pokemon-Dratini

What you said.

Totally agree with this. If some day I have kids I don't want them to live it in a suffering world.

The sad thing is as much as people campaign and advertise, some people don't are. The fact we live such comfortable lives is why we are so vulnerable.

now this is what everyone shoulld think about!, not just that we are living ok now but we should keep it that way for the next generation

wordy936

Considering that the global warming scaremongering scientists don't know what they're talking about (as I noted before, their computer models are flawed), for all we KNOW, the FACT is any action we take to combat so-called global warming might actually help bring on and make worse the next Ice Age. Operating under the cloud of ignorance is not a good recipe.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
You know that famous picture
of the polar bears on the melting ice-cap?
That picture was taken in the summer
when the ice melts naturally.

They first need to get there facst straight and figger out what is global warming and what isnt.

BigLutz

Banned
Well lets break this down, first is the Earth warming currently? No. The Earth's temps have been stagnant if not slightly down for the last decade.

Now we have been on a warming trend for a while now, specifically since the Little Ice Age in the 1600s which really threw are cycle out of wrack.

Now is man causing the warming? Right now we don't know, and anyone that says they know for sure is lying. Due to the scandals coming out in the scientific community, specifically climate gate it has become nearly impossible to trust anything the scientific community has come to say due to the size and reach of the scandal. Not to mention it is a evolving science, what we learn today could easily be changed tomorrow, at this point even the scientific community has no idea for sure as to why the warming stopped.

Ethan

Banned

Because scientists are clearly above forging data and evidence for political purproses.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/11/climate-hack/

Lol, your friends argument is pretty stupid if you ask me.

Humans abusing the environment the way we do hardly seems like a natural course of nature considering that global warming didn't become a big enough problem until modern day society established itself. We obviously haven't existed the way we exist now longer then our ancestors did.

"Cow farts" and other natural things can affect global warming, but they don't have the impact that todays technology does on it, not even close.

Ironically enough, none of the material you've offered directly refutes any claim that he made.

When it gets cold in the winter, squirrels hide in trees and hibernate. Penquins in the antarctic shelf huddle together to keep warm. Rabbits camoflauge with their enviroment to avoid predators. Beavers build damns, etc. The animals that surivive are the ones most responsive to change, and adapt. Humans are the only animal foolish enough to think that it can completely tame the forces of nature to do its bidding. Either we adapt, or die.

Global warming is not an issue that only came with the rise of modern society. In the 1970's scientists were concerned over global cooling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

During that era, cars released 70% more carbon dioxide emissions than do modern cars.

While it's true that temperatures and CO2 levels rise and fall naturally, it's pretty clear that we're accelerating this far beyond anything that nature could produce. To those who say that the Earth has survived this kind of thing in the past, I would like to point out that the climate of the Earth heated up significantly at the end of the Permian period, about 250 MYA. As a result, the entire land surface of the planet became a desert and between 90 and 96% of marine life and 70% of terrestrial life became extinct. And we could potentially create an effect worse than that. So, yeah...

I believe it's too late to do much about it. All we can do is try to slow or halt the effect before it gets massively out of hand, and then sit it out...

Let's not compare apples to oranges. If it weren't for a meteor that hit earth wiping out 99.9% of life, mammals would have never became the dominant group on earth and we wouldn't exist.

I'm tired of hearing global warming alarmism and scaretactics. Apparently, a chunk of ice that breaks off from the arctic is going to sink Florida in twenty years. Even if large urban cities do get overcome by rising sea levels, it's not like in Day After Tomorrow, where God pours down his seven bowls of wrath upon the earth and Manhatten is crushed by a tidal wave in under five minutes. It's plenty of years for people to migrate to new areas, hardly nature's massacre on an ubelieving world.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Just so you all know, it's snowing in Arizona. ARIZONA.

TomDraco

I'm a /tr/ainer.
Wasn't the climategate stuff proved to be false?

I believe in GW, and for those who say "If there's GW, then why's it so cold in (x)?", it's because a change in one areas climate can drastically change another areas climate. Think Newton and the law "every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction." (I know that pertains to physics, but it works here.) Also, for those who say "GW is happening on planets right now naturally" don't get the fact that.

1. They're not Earth-like planets.
2. In the Venus case: Venus has a atmosphere of dense, toxic gases like carbon monoxide and some sulfur compunds, which provide a greenhouse effect upon the planet. Even though it's natural in this case, that could be a model for what could happen to us if we continue smogging up our atmosphere.

In conclusion, I support GW, and I do my part to help our planet no matter what others say.

BigLutz

Banned
Wasn't the climategate stuff proved to be false?

No, it was proven that they were using tree ring data to pretty much fill in what happened before we had accurate measuring tools, but the tree ring data showed a cold trend beginning in the 60s. So instead of being good scientists they just cut off the tree ring data, thus the "Hide the Decline" talk. They also polluted the peer review work, and as we now know they also cherry picked Russian data.