• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your opinion on Pokemon Designs?

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
What do you view on Pokemon designs right now?(6th Gen, we're not entirely sure, also the starters since evolutions and other info on them isn't made.)

I kept seeing arguments of people complaining over how the gens get worse each gen, especially Unova. I have no problem with them.(Trubbish family... I'll not talk about it.)

But I have to say that they vary somewhat, especially Sinnoh if you think of the climate and how similar the Pokemon look. And it's what Ken and the rest want to do.

But what do you think?

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I think the pokémon design is fantastic and Game Freak does a great job taking a concept or animal and turning it into a pokémon. Which is why I like all 654 pokémon.

*~Silver*~

For the most part I think all the regions had really good Pokemon designs. Unova is not an exception. Of course some Pokemon designs appeal to me personally more than others. I really like the designs of Umbreon, Luxray and Cubchoo, but hate the designs of the Grimer line, and the Trubbish line.

Xadium

Poliwhirl Enthusiast
All Pokemon are unique, but some are better than others. Genwunners should know by now not to talk **** about new Pokemon when they have piles of sludge and magnets.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
They get better and better. Sure I have a dislike for a few designs that other people find appealing, but for the most [art I like a lot of them. They don't get worse they just don't get my interest or appeal.
Technology makes even more complex designs for them possible which is awesome :3

Arlo

...and so on...
I think every generation has had some great designs, some good ones, some poor ones and some terrible ones. Overall, I'd say the designers have done a pretty good job.

I think that the criticism that's hurled at any one generation is mostly rooted in confirmation bias. Those who wish to believe that one generation was particularly bad or particularly good need only focus on the portion of the pokemon in that generation who were particularly bad or particularly good (since every generation has some) and ignore all the rest.

randomspot555

The whining at the start of every new generation is the height of whining where mostly former fans and bitter ex-fans who haven't touched a Pokemon game in years jump to be the first to say "it sucks!"

But as I said, these people most vocal about how supposedly horrible the new Pokemon are are largely ex-fans who were never going to buy or play the game and were never going to like them no matter what.

Most people are fine with the Pokemon designs, new and old. Doesn't mean they like every single one of them, but the people complaining the most are just a very loud, very vocal, but very small minority.

Meeker

It needs a fence.
There are always some Pokemon designs that I like more than others, some of with only recently began to appeal to me.

Though, I will say this, Silver (your rival in Gold & Silver/Heart Gold & Soul Silver) and N look a hell of a lot like Zoroark. When the Pokemon was first shown (before N was shown to the public), I immediately thought of Silver.

Each Pokemon has a good design, some better than others. A lot of complaining comes from unilateral and other shallow thinking. For example, Trubbish. I love it; it's a fish/garbage bag hybrid, so it can fit a real-world niche. But most people look at it and say, "It's a garbage Pokemon." They take it to be garbage, meaning they think its a bad design. They don't realize that it's a fish that has certain properties of and the appearance of a used trash bag, which is pretty frikkin, awesome!

Each generation, it seems, had their own design patterns:
1: Simple is good, lets throw in a type here or there or combine 2 things (Bulbasaur=plant+dinosaur)
2: let's have animals, and make them frikkin' BEAUTIFUL!
3: okay, we're doing fine, lets continue what we're doing. But let's challenge our fans. We're gonna make the designs deeper and multi-dimensional
4: Twist! Twist! Lets change it up. Scrap the formula and reverse it! It works!
5: The fans want a big change? Lets give 'em one. We're going to explore drastic variations in Pokemon design and use unused type combinations.

And they're all great.

Shyy_Guii

Absol Fanatic
Almost all pokemon designs are awesome (I'm looking at Garbodor and Muk)

Almost all pokemon designs are awesome (I'm looking at Garbodor and Muk)

Are you kidding me? Every medium has an acid slime creature (it's pretty much a trope), and it just happens that Pokemon's is Muk. We are the only random whose acid slime is powerful, perverted, horrifying, repulsive, loving, sweet, tender, dispicable, and caring.

And Garbodor seems to be the perfect step-up from Trubbish (Trashbag=>Dump? Yup, tis how it works. Maybe the next ego will be a Poison/Ground landfill?)

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The new designs may look strange to you when you first see them, but it's something you get used to. There's not a single Pokemon I can think of that doesn't look like it belongs.

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
The new designs may look strange to you when you first see them, but it's something you get used to. There's not a single Pokemon I can think of that doesn't look like it belongs.

Agreed. I mean you can get used to them.

Each Pokemon has a good design, some better than others. A lot of complaining comes from unilateral and other shallow thinking. For example, Trubbish. I love it; it's a fish/garbage bag hybrid, so it can fit a real-world niche. But most people look at it and say, "It's a garbage Pokemon." They take it to be garbage, meaning they think its a bad design. They don't realize that it's a fish that has certain properties of and the appearance of a used trash bag, which is pretty frikkin, awesome!

Each generation, it seems, had their own design patterns:
1: Simple is good, lets throw in a type here or there or combine 2 things (Bulbasaur=plant+dinosaur)
2: let's have animals, and make them frikkin' BEAUTIFUL!
3: okay, we're doing fine, lets continue what we're doing. But let's challenge our fans. We're gonna make the designs deeper and multi-dimensional
4: Twist! Twist! Lets change it up. Scrap the formula and reverse it! It works!
5: The fans want a big change? Lets give 'em one. We're going to explore drastic variations in Pokemon design and use unused type combinations.

And they're all great.

I used to have a problem with Gen V since the designs were different but still they are Pokemon. The Garbodor line I kind have no problem with but the exception of it made by an American. Still they look cool. No one told you that you have to like them though. Everyone has an opinion I know but still it's nothing to hate on something Ken worked on. He drew the inspiration if Oshawott's evolutions by samurai and a sea lion showcase and that's what creativity is.

Last edited:

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
I used to have a problem with Gen V since the designs were different but still they are Pokemon. The Garbodor line I kind have no problem with but the exception of it made by an American.
The only westerner in GF is from UK and he made the vanilluxe and Gollurk line.

Cutty

Forever now
I dont know bout simple designed pokemon, although some look pretty.
But I love those cool pokemon from myths.
Basically I still like the designs.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
The Pokemon designs are something I've always liked, some are more favored then others. With each new generation you have to get use to the new designs. At first they'll seem weird and with me after getting use to them I consider them regular pokemon. I've also noticed with each new generation GF is adding more detail to the pokemon designs. Just simply take a look and compare Gen 1 to Gen 5's designs and just see how Gen 1 mostly consists of simple designs mainly resembling animals/plants or common mythical creatures. While most of Gen 5 pokemon have gone for more detailed designs that most would say is fantasy, having inanimate objects come to life like litwick, an vanillite but still having most that still resemble animals that look more exotic.

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
They're good. Now Trubbish is actually pretty original. Yeah, it's a trash bag, but who in their right mind would make a trash bag into a fantasy creature with powers? Gamefreak. New Pokemon may not look appealing at first. When I first saw Victini, I thought GF was getting lazy. Now I love Victini.

Oh and with Gen 6 coming out, we now have a Wyvern and a Rainbow Stag.

Ana_Julía

The Girl You Want!
Can i be sincere? Yes? Okay then.

I didn't liked the Designs of the new starters. In fact, none of them was appealing to me. Except by the Legendaries...they're awesome and very well made.
I don't have a problem with any of the newer Pokemon Games, i liked'em more than people think.

The design changed a little? Yes! People cannot deny it, that's a fact, what's so hard to see? Or is my eyes enlightened by Arceus so, i can see other things? Haha!!
Yes, it changed a bit...maybe "a bit" may seem "a LOT" and, it was a lot! But...was this "change" so bad? To a point where, all games after 2nd gen "Sucks"? I mean, i didn't liked most of 5th Gen pokés at first, but time has passed and now i love'em! It's not my favorite gen, but i like Unova pretty much, eh!
I really don't consider the "Change of Design" so horrible to a point of...everything is bad.

A Man cannot make an Omelette without breaking the eggs!
Pokemon (games) cannot be good if it doesn't change...be this change by Design or Gameplay, it doesn't matter; not only pokemons need to evolve.

That's it!

Last edited: