• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your opinion on Pokemon Designs?

Wildfyre

X + Y, get pumped!
Holy crap, I just remembered these forums...haven't been on in ages...

Anyhow, the grass type looks like oshawott, who never looked good in my opinion. The fire type is my favorite, and the water type is unique.

Honestly, it just depends on the final evolutions to me.

OrcaCity

Expert Killer Whale
Pokemon does not get worse every generation. The only new things they've really added to the games are new Pokemon, new battle features (a new 3D look), and an actual complex storyline. Doesn't sound very bad to me. In my opinion, I think the new Pokemon look great. They look true to their types and are very creative in terms of design. Same goes for Gen 5.
There are no bad Pokemon. Trubbish and Garbodor are not bad Pokemon. It's okay to not like them (I'm not too fond of them myself), but that doesn't make them a bad Pokemon. They were very creative when making them. It takes some skill to make a little sack of trash look like a living thing.

Last edited:

Flamer

Every generation has its good and bad Pokemon. Broadly speaking, I wasn't all that impressed with a large amount of Gen 4 Pokemon, but I thought in the main Gen 5 was excellent. Design is largely subjective though, so its very difficult, if not impossible, to categorically say whether the designs are getting better or worse.

gliscor&yanmega

My take on Pokemon designs is, they come up with at least 100 new designs every 3-4 so years. Of these designs there is a variety of different takes on the designs present in all generation, you have simple ones and you have complex ones, you have ones that are meant to look attractive in some way and others that are more focused on look cool or even weird. Besides Jynx with it's racial issue(Which I'm fairly certain was never intended to be as such), no Pokemon design has been proposed to be inappropriate or offensive(There is some issues such as Registeel with it's hand gesture in one of it's sprites). Overall, there is nothing wrong with any of the Pokemon designs, it's not a matter of what is "good" and what is "bad", it's a matter of what you like and what you dislike, and every Pokemon is liked and disliked.

For me personally, I have no issue with any of the designs, they are all great in their own way. I'm not interested in some handfuls of Pokemon, but on the other side I have plenty of handfuls that I am interested in, and handfuls of Pokemon that are favorites. Even the one Pokemon I kind of don't like(Audino. It's not really a matter of not liking it though, just looked creepy to me when I first saw it and just joked around with it to myself since then), I still think it's fine in it's own way. So far with the 6th generation, I already see the ones introduced already as favorites of mine.

Basically, I like all designs.

Holy crap, I just remembered these forums...haven't been on in ages...

Anyhow, the grass type looks like oshawott, who never looked good in my opinion. The fire type is my favorite, and the water type is unique.

Honestly, it just depends on the final evolutions to me.

Chespin and Oshawott share a similar shaped head, that's all, they aren't even close to looking like each other once you actually look at them.

Last edited:

AquaCharmander

Shiny Hunter
I like pretty much all the Pokemon. Sure, some designs appeal to me a bit more than others, but I don't really dislike any (at least none come to mind).

Masterofknees

Well, Gen 5 is certainly a step up from Gen 4, but I'm still not entirely sold. The only cool legendaries are Zekrom and Kyurem, the trios are really uninteresting, and once again there are just too many legendaries. None of the starters looks interesting or cool, and some of them look like they're supposed to be evolutions of previous Pokémon but aren't, like Bouffalant and Tauros, Alomomola and Luvdisc, and Sigilyph looking like some ulti-Unown. Then we have Gothitelle, which is based off of a human culture, and I really don't like Pokémon that are based on human cultures (this isn't the first time though, happened with Mr. Mime and Jynx too). Many of the Pokémon have what I call the "Snout-syndrome", where they all have the same snout, or atleast their head ends as a snout, goes for Snivy, Zoroark, Reshiram, Cobalion, and way more in this generation, and it always looks kind of stupid. Of course there are also the occassionally ugly ones like Garbodor, Jellicent, Conkeldurr, Darmanitan and such.

Now that was the nasty stuff, Gen 5 also has a lot of cool Pokémon too, Carracosta, Zekrom, Hydreigon and Gigalith are all among my favorite Pokémon ever made. Then there are Pokémon like Volcarona which has awesome origins to it's design, speaking of which, there are also a lot of awesome typings in this generation. We also have our occassional cool Pokémon like Chandelure, Galvantula, Scolipede and Golurk.

Design-wise where would I rank this generation? Over Gen IV and under Gen II, so that'll be: Gen IV<Gen V<Gen II<Gen III=Gen I. At least for me. Sadly for me it does have more downs than ups, sure it has awesome and fun typing to some of the Pokémon, but the majority just look very bad to me, random designs like Cryogonal just look odd, and as I mentioned earlier, the snout-syndrome is there too often, and looking at the legendaries for X and Y it shows no sign of dissappearing again (although it isn't so bad on Yveltal as on the X one). This is of course a subject that is 100% up to each individual's opinion, so nothing I say here is a fact, just my personal experience.

Worth pointing out is that the gameplay is heaps better than ever.

Also, just a minor pet peeve of mine, but the names are pretty odd for many of these Pokémon, and I still have a hard time remembering them, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Rational Rayquaza

Pokemon designs only get better in every generation. Sure there may be some odd ones but there is always some cool Pokemon in each Generation. When people bash the new designs, they always seem to forget there is other Pokemon.
Ex-Pokemon fan: ''Oh Garbodor, Vanilluxe, and Stunfisk look ugly therefore all the new Pokemon designs look hideous.''
Me: '' Like the Kanto didn't have bad designs. And you can't say the same for all Unova Pokemon. Especially Braviary, Haxorus , and Hydreigon.''
It is true that Ken's art style has changed.
Generations 1-2: Simple, lovable designs.
Generation 3-6: More complex designs and original ideas. (Not everyone's made a creature based of an Ice Cream cone before, have they?)

Daisymareep

Beware the cuteness
I am fine with all pokemon designs.There are some I like more than another. I do like complex design more than simple ones.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I don't like how much people bash the Trubbish line when it actually makes a lot of sense. New York is full of litter due to the large population, and don't even get me started on the damn subway stations.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
I don't like how much people bash the Trubbish line when it actually makes a lot of sense. New York is full of litter due to the large population, and don't even get me started on the damn subway stations.

New York is dirty ? I thought it was quite clean. Never been to US so don't know.
Anyway, Koffing,Grimer and Trubbish each represent a different type of polltion ( sky,water and land ). I think that's quite clever on GF's part, and I don't get why people bash this.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
New York is dirty ? I thought it was quite clean. Never been to US so don't know.
Anyway, Koffing,Grimer and Trubbish each represent a different type of polltion ( sky,water and land ). I think that's quite clever on GF's part, and I don't get why people bash this.

Well it's not extremely dirty but some areas have some litter problems.

Crimson101

Cooler Than Red
In my opinion the designs will only get less and less original since they've already made so many...

gliscor&yanmega

In my opinion the designs will only get less and less original since they've already made so many...

649 isn't that many when compared to the many different species of Animals out there, as well as Plants, plus all the other stuff they clearly have no objections on using that they have been using since the start.

The designs will start getting less original when they run out of stuff to use, such a thing isn't going to happen any time soon.

Masterofknees

The designs will start getting less original when they run out of stuff to use, such a thing isn't going to happen any time soon.

Plus, they can always use the same animal twice, but with a different concept to make them new. I'm still waiting for another tapir Pokémon.

Raiin

Johto Boy
I think they look pretty cool. Not going to lie though, it does take me a little to warm up to new designs sometimes. (I still don't like Emboar though)

xDWarrior

Gen 1 and Gen 2 designs I loved mostly. Gen 3 had some cool ones, but also some bleh ones. Gen 4 had more bleh ones, but not horrible. Gen 5 I liked a few, but most were not appealing to me. So far seeing gen 6 I'm in love with them. (No I'm not a genwunner or whatever you call it. I think the games have all gotten better over time, that's just my opinion on the designs.)

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Most of the designs are ok, what really bothers me is that every time a new generation comes out people say "That doesn't look like a pokemon.". If you're so smart, please define a pokemon, compared to the first gen, some of the pokemon in the later gens look better than them. Compare Voltorb and Electrode to Rotom design wise or Eggecute to Vanillite.

SKyLineR32

Master Weasel
Most of the designs are ok, what really bothers me is that every time a new generation comes out people say "That doesn't look like a pokemon.". If you're so smart, please define a pokemon, compared to the first gen, some of the pokemon in the later gens look better than them. Compare Voltorb and Electrode to Rotom design wise or Eggecute to Vanillite.

I can't stand that silly argument either. Looking at Gen. 1 alone, it's obvious Pokemon can be just about anything.

Another argument that I don't think makes sense is saying Pokemon should have stopped after a certain generation, mainly because there's "too many". Yeah, good idea. Let's see how long Pokemon would have lasted if Game Freak decided not to add something new from time to time. And it's also an unfair thing to say considering there are a lot of fans of the newer Pokemon.

Last edited: