• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your opinion on Pokemon Designs?

Chewiana Jones

Dunsparciologist
Objectively speaking, I'd say the best Pokemon design might be something like Nidoking or Nidoqueen. Part of what makes them awesome is that they're not a dog, not a snake, not even a mammal or a reptile but just Nidoking and Nidoqueen, plain and simple, and yet the mammalian and reptilian traits blend so smoothly and naturally that they don't come off as being at all awkward or creepy. The evolutionary transitions are neither ridiculous nor insubstantial, with a larger jump upon undergoing the stone evolution into their final form,the level of complexity in the design is just about right the male/female difference is reasonably believable, the typing of the final forms remains unique and interesting, and the whole thing just feels right.

On the other hand, Generation I had some pretty stupid designs as well (most of the problem stems from the fact that several Pokemon are almost - if not entirely - identical to real-world animals. Granted, this has hardly stopped being the case, but just look at Krabby, for example. That thing's worse than Basculin!), and a lot of my favorites, including Torterra, Flygon, Reuniclus, and the grand-mother-of-all-things-awesome, Golurk, come from more recent games. Honestly, I think Generation 2 is something of an oddball, as it has (in my opinion) the fewest absolutely despicable AND the fewest mind-blowingly amazing designs. There are still a fair few that are pretty cool, though, like Dunsparce, Tyranitar, Scizor, and Steelix, and Meganium wins the non-existent award for cutest fully-evolved starter.

Last edited:

Lucario95

Behold The Aura!
In overall, I like Ken Sugimori's pokemon designs, but I don't like some of them like Trubbish, Jynx, Vanillite.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I hope you know that this series target a demographic audience. Which means there has to be a pokemon fitting certain appeal and criteria. Whether its their concept, looks, moveset, you name them.

Most of the third and fifth Generation designs appeal to me the most. Kanto and Johto tie with the least amount of appealing pokemon for me (mostly butterfree). With sinnoh being the middleground. I know that I grew with the Main Series ...

But I grew up the most with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series.

Masterofknees

Objectively speaking, I'd say the best Pokemon design might be something like Nidoking or Nidoqueen. Part of what makes them awesome is that they're not a dog, not a snake, not even a mammal or a reptile but just Nidoking and Nidoqueen, plain and simple, and yet the mammalian and reptilian traits blend so smoothly and naturally that they don't come off as being at all awkward or creepy.

Yeah, that's why Nidoking is one of my all-time favorites, it's such a classic design.

But yeah, you're right, many Gen I Pokémon lacked creativity, like Seel, just read it's name, they're not even trying to hide it, other than giving it a horn of course.