• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your opinion on weather in 5th Gen

AB2

cake cake cake cake
So we all know that weather is a really common strategy in 5th generation competitive battling. With the prevalence of Ninetales and Politoed's new abilities, you almost can't make a successful team without having some sort of weather to fend off against these types of teams. Although I have heard that some people on smogon have nominated an all weather ban, which means that the metagame will be completely clear skies. Personally, I don't really like this idea since weather is what really defines this generation. I think that only some of the more "broken" weather abusers should be banned instead of weather itself. So what do you think? Should weather be completely banned from the overused metagame? Should only the abusers be banned, or do you like things the way they are right now? Discuss. : )

Cuddlebuns

I don't see why it should be banned. It's a strategy like any other, and you have to play around it just like any other. Even before weather was common, you were forced to use certain Pokemon that were compatible with the metagame at the time in order to do well, and that's exactly how it is now. Doesn't make sense to ban a strategy just because it's common. If that's the case then all common moves (mainly Stealth Rock) and all common Pokemon should be banned too, because they're all a part of common strategies.

I also don't think it's "broken." If it can be countered it's not broken, and weather can be stopped fairly easily or even taken advantage of.

AB2

cake cake cake cake
I don't see why it should be banned. It's a strategy like any other, and you have to play around it just like any other. Even before weather was common, you were forced to use certain Pokemon that were compatible with the metagame at the time in order to do well, and that's exactly how it is now. Doesn't make sense to ban a strategy just because it's common. If that's the case then all common moves (mainly Stealth Rock) and all common Pokemon should be banned too, because they're all a part of common strategies.

I also don't think it's "broken." If it can be countered it's not broken, and weather can be stopped fairly easily or even taken advantage of.

Yeah I agree, banning weather as a whole is kind of pointless since its just a strategy. Although that is what a lot of people think, they want to ban something because it is too common so therefore it is supposedly "too good." Most weather teams have ways of completely playing around them, but I still think there is some work to be done. Some pokemon [mainly Thundurus] seem like they are pretty broken. Really just about nothing has the ability to 'check' it. Although I do agree completely that weather as a whole really isn't broken.

Cometk

west side
the sad thing is that if we ban every weather abuser, about 30% of the tier is gone

AB2

cake cake cake cake
the sad thing is that if we ban every weather abuser, about 30% of the tier is gone

You don't have to ban every weather abuser, just the ones that are broken. If it is manageable, then why ban it? Although I see what you're saying, weather is pretty much what defines this generation and if you take it away then you're taking out a large portion of what what is kind of supposed to be there lol.

Fortunato

Sic Transit Gloria
lol Weather is far from broken the simple fact that weather counters weather means it just makes the game that much more competitive. Personally I love having a weather war and winning to be able to laugh in the face of my opponent because it puts that much closer to winning. Anyways like Comet said if we banned every abuser we'd lose a huge chunk of the current OU tier. Also any team that is built properly should be able to take on anything opposing weather throws at it or it won't be able to function well.

BGP_

banning weather would be the stupidest thing to happen to 5th gen if it would come to that...almost worse than Gamefreak making some of those ugly pokemon...

Zachmac

I'm pretty angry about Groudon/Kyogre's "signature abilities" not being their signatures anymore, but that doesn't matter competitively.

Really, with the SS/Drizzle ban, it's not that bad. They could ban Excadrill, which I kind of hope, but Excadrill isn't that powerful.

If you want to use a swift swimmer, try out a Turndadus, Thuderus, or Accelglor to spread it.

I strongly think that weather should not be banned. In a way, having all four auto-weather abilities in OU has created somewhat of a balance. But anyhow, like AB2 said, it's not really the weather in and of itself that's broken, there are just some broken abusers. Even then, it's not that many. Although I'm not so sure that the Aldaron Proposal was meant to be a permanent arrangement rather than a test, it has done a good job of keeping the most dangerous Rain abusers in check (Ludicolo, Kingdra, Kabutops, etc.). The only really broken one I can think of at the moment is Thundurus, who is quickly on his way to Ubers. The closest thing Sand has to a broken abuser is Excadrill, who is terrible if the weather is disrupted and is even counterable if it isn't. Sun only had Blaziken, who has already been banned. Hail has no broken OU abusers, and the only one in UU was the now-banned Kyurem.

So, assuming that the Drizzle+Swift Swim ban remains in effect, the only truly broken weather abuser at the moment is Thundurus. Once it's banned, the metagame will probably reach a decent balance and weather teams will be much easier to counter.

hallstromjr

Boston Celtic
Yeah weather cant be banned. That takes alot of the competativeness away from the metagame. Having to have a weather counter makes you have to think more making it more fun.

Dragonite0217

Weather shouldn't be banned. I havve lickilicky on my team only to counter weather. But then again, people have rapid spinners on their team only to remove entry hazards. So it shouldn't be banned.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I think weather is just part of the game, it can be annoying as heck, but if its used the right way it can take down a team. I don't think it should be banned more or less, I just think its whatever strategy you choose

Weather is not that insanely broken that it need to be banned.

Alot of great Pokemon would go down in popularity and not be used any more if all weather was banned.

Big Beluga

u r a fatty
i don't think the weather makes the game more competitive like some of you are suggesting. in fact, imo, it centralizes the metagame and totally kills off the viability of certain strategies / pokemon, stripping some of the competitiveness away. im not gonna try and argue that weather is broken, because it probably isn't, i just feel that it makes the metagame stale and lot less enjoyable to play.

Cuddlebuns

i don't think the weather makes the game more competitive like some of you are suggesting. in fact, imo, it centralizes the metagame and totally kills off the viability of certain strategies / pokemon, stripping some of the competitiveness away. im not gonna try and argue that weather is broken, because it probably isn't, i just feel that it makes the metagame stale and lot less enjoyable to play.

The metagame is always centralized and always ruins the viability of certain strategies and certain Pokemon. There always have been and always will be common strategies and common Pokemon that make others less viable. You never saw things like Perish Song Kircketune or Toxic stalling Spinda in 4th Gen OU because those strategies weren't viable then (and still aren't) even though weather wasn't as common. So by your logic simply having a competitive metagame ruins the competitiveness of the game.

RifleAvenger

See you starside
Abusers only; trying to pretend an entire game mechanic doesn't exist is folly, and taking away weather hurts the usefulness of many pokemon, abilities, and moves. So either with weather in, or weather out, there are some strategies that won't be able to be played. Perma-Weather is powerful, that is true, but powerful things have always existed in pokemon.

Ban the abusers, if they're decreasing the quality of the game, but don't ban weather. I hope the game settles down after Thundurus' fate is determined.

Big Beluga

u r a fatty
what im saying is that it centralizes the metagame more so than anything else ever has and probably ever will. it has come to the point that if you don't have one of the 4 weather changers on your team, them being tar, aboma, ninetales, and poli, you're almost always already at a disadvantage throughout the match. and even if you are running one of those weather changers, you have to streamline your team to function well under that specific weather, which often times forces you to run compounding weaknesses (for example, sun teams and hail teams being weak to stuff like terakion and the like).

ilucado

Blaine's Style!
So we all know that weather is a really common strategy in 5th generation competitive battling. With the prevalence of Ninetales and Politoed's new abilities, you almost can't make a successful team without having some sort of weather to fend off against these types of teams. Although I have heard that some people on smogon have nominated an all weather ban, which means that the metagame will be completely clear skies. Personally, I don't really like this idea since weather is what really defines this generation. I think that only some of the more "broken" weather abusers should be banned instead of weather itself. So what do you think? Should weather be completely banned from the overused metagame? Should only the abusers be banned, or do you like things the way they are right now? Discuss. : )

I guess Excadrill (mostly) and other sand rush abusers could be banned in the same way that SS+Drizzle were banned... SR+Sand Stream=ban for example!

Pingo

I don't see any reason why weather should be banned. Every single weather team can be countered, just like all other teams. And no, Excadrill shouldn't be banned either. He can easily be taken care of, just like basically any other weather abuser at the moment.

In my opinion, the metagame is actually very balanced at the moment, so I don't see any reason to ban any pokemon right now.

And btw, I heard many people on Smogon want Thundurus banned. I hope they are joking.

BGP_

I don't see any reason why weather should be banned. Every single weather team can be countered, just like all other teams. And no, Excadrill shouldn't be banned either. He can easily be taken care of, just like basically any other weather abuser at the moment.

In my opinion, the metagame is actually very balanced at the moment, so I don't see any reason to ban any pokemon right now.

And btw, I heard many people on Smogon want Thundurus banned. I hope they are joking.
He probably is getting banned