1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Your pokemon memories- How you started playing

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by Strawberry Mint, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Strawberry Mint

Strawberry Mint Dancer in the Dark

Share your pokemon memories!
    Which was your first pokemon game?
    When and where did you get it?
    What was your first pokemon experience like?

For me, I believe I was about 6 or 7 when I discovered that my big sister had a game boy color. I found it when i was in her bedroom with her one day: A clear purple GBC along with Bust A Move millennium, Super mario land, Game and watch gallery 2, and of course, Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Yellow. I was absolutely in love with it. I would sneak into her room whenever she was out with friends so that I could play it. She knew that I was doing that, and eventually she gave it to me, saying she didn't play it any more anyways.

My first experience with Pokemon had me hooked. I can't really remember for sure which of the games I played first, but I have a feeling it was probably gold or silver, with their sparkly plastic and shiny labels that appealed to me.
    I have fond memories of all 3 games. Stepping out onto route 29 of johto for the first time, with a Chikorita by my side. Trying to get through Viridian forest in Yellow without the trainers noticing me. The excitement I felt when i finally beat the champion in Gold for the first time, with a single level 72 Typhlosion. Those games, especially Gold and Silver, solidified my love of the Pokemon franchise for good.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. Sid87

Sid87 I love shiny pokemon

I was actually 18 or 19 and had fallen asleep with whatever station aired Pokemon on back in the day. When I woke up, Saturday morning cartoons were on, and Pokemon was on. I thought it was just irrationally funny, and kept laughing whenever Pikachu spoke.

So I ended up downloading an emulator and ROMs of Red and Blue and started playing. I thought the games were just FANTASTIC and kept playing. It led to my longterm affection for Butterfree, too, because in my very first playthrough, Butterfree was a BEAST for me. Sleep Powder and Psychic and Solar Beam? It was great.

I would go on to play Gen 2 mostly through ROMs, too, though I did end up buying a GBA and Crystal at some point.

3. Raiin

Raiin Johto Boy

I was 7, My mom bought me pokemon red for christmas of '98 because I seen charizard in a book one time and loved it. I started playing and It took me a little bit to figure out how to get out of the room. lol I guess I didn't see the stair case... but once I started playing I was hooked. I played through pokemon Red a countless number of times and still go back and play it every now and then.

A few years later when G/S came out I fell for it even harder. It became my favorite game of all time. All my old favorites plus some new ones, some that became new favorites, was more than my young mind could handle. I'm really glad I got to see the start of pokemon.

4. Littlemyuu

Littlemyuu Orig. Solar-Sceptile

I was 7 or 8 when my brother told me to look for a game with an red dragon or blue turtle, he had both games but I could play his Blue anytime I wanted, when Gold Silver came out my brother got Silver, I was sad but on my birthday my parents got me my own Gameboy color and Pokemon Gold. I was so happy, since then I still play the games and collect lots of plushies and figures.

5. floodz66

floodz66 The Masked Trainer

I was about 6 or 7, my brother says, hey, you gotta watch this show, so he shows me pokemon's first episode, and i was hooked. My birthday comes up like a month or so later, and i get a gameboy color, and pokemon blue.

A week later, i trade blue for red, because my brother said red was better.

6. Raguna

Raguna Magikarp. The best.

Around the year 2000, my cousin gave me some of his old consoles/games. Between those consoles was a Gameboy color, and with those games lied a very special game. Pokémon Red. I remember seeing that charizard on the catridge was the coolest thing. That was, obviously, the first game I tried. My cousin helped me with most stuff, translating stuff for me (that's how I started to learn english). I played that game, and I swear that was something magical about it. I just was instantly hooked up.

Playing that game soon made me a fan of the series. I got Pokémon Crystal soon after it's release, because my cousin bought it for me, knowing how much I loved Pokémon. And the rest is history. In fact, I didn't know the Anime existed for a while. I just saw a commercial one day and soon decided I should watch. And it was pretty fun! I watched it for some time, but then I stopped. I think it was halfway through avance when I stopped. No real reason I did so, though.

7. Aura Guardian Ash

Aura Guardian Ash Aura Guardian

Oh boy, let's see, I think I first started when I was like 8 or 9 maybe with Pokemon Yellow and I started to watch it around the time it first came out on TV in the US. I actually don't really remember how I got Yellow, but it was probably given to me by my mom. I was instantly hooked with Pokemon because I just loved the game play, even if the graphics weren't that great, although back then I guess they were awesome. I just love to train Pokemon and just play the games.

8. PokeMasterCait

PokeMasterCait Active Member

It all started thanks to my mom who worked at toys r us at the height of pokemon. she bought me the games and i loved them, my cousin was also a pokemon fan so i'd go over to his house and we;d watch episodes together on vhs and draw them and color them in with colored pencils. I saw the first movie with my cousin and loved it, i had so many pokemon toys and candy as a kid, i still remember the pokemon gum..it was a big pink square gum piece with a sugar decal of a pokemon and it came with a puzzle piece or tattoo....my mom working at toys r us got me all things pokemon, i even had a ash hat that i wore all through elementry school and i had pokemon sandals with ash and pikachu on them and pokemon sheets...yeah i'm still obsessed at 20 to this day with pokemon and i'm proud of it. I will always cherish my pokemon memories <3

9. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

I got into Pokemon n 1998 because my friend and a lot of kids at school were into it. I didn't get Blue until 1999 because I did not have a Gameboy.

10. Xerneas

Xerneas Member

Lol, the first time I beat the elite 4, I restarted my game, cause it said END after the credits -.-
    I had such an amazaing Gengar :(

11. xEryChan

xEryChan Ace Trainer Staff Member Moderator

I was like 11 or 12. Pokemon had been around for a while but I wasn't really that interested on playing.

The summer when I was going into Junior High, I so happened to break my collarbone on the first day of summer vacation yeah, that was not fun at all :/ and I was stuck inside for weeks so my mom bought me a gameboy and my first Pokemon game, which I think was red (I'm not sure).

Been hooked on playing the games ever since.

12. Meeker

Meeker It needs a fence.

My first Pokemon Fire Red when I was 7.

I got it at Wal-Mart or something.

I immediately chose Charmander and had fun until Emerald came out, and so on.

13. Steampunk

Steampunk One Truth Prevails

Well, I actually started with a stuffed bulbosaur that my uncle won from a claw machine.
    And then it went from the TCG to the anime and eventually to the games.

14. Crimson Penguin

Crimson Penguin Marchin' on

My Pokemon experience began in 1999 at a summer camp. I overheard some kids roleplaying as Pokemon and decided to check it out. It was a lot of fun, and the other kids gave me some small cardboard "token" things from the back of a Lunchables box. I got some figures and cards after that, and then I discovered the anime and became completely hooked on the series. I got even more interested when my cousin got Red for his birthday, and I finally got my own Yellow Version later that year, which I played the heck out of. And that's how I came to be the Pokemaniac I still am today. I've played every main series game and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. : )

15. ven?

ven? Kanto Region Champ

Well lets see, I started with pokemon when it all originally started (10 yr old, coincidence much?), when they first viewed pokemon and digimon on tv for ytv, I ended up watching digimon and missed pokemon (but I always liked digimon the tv show over the pokemon one) anyways, then the card game came out and everyone else got pokemon cards but me, it took me forever before a friend finally gave me a fighting energy which I later traded that weekend for an itemfinder which I cherished until I finally started to spend my allowance on pokemon cards, and then later I got yellow for christmas (probably the same year idk), then I attended a league and have been playing ever since.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  16. Noctali

Noctali Umbreon

I think I was first introduced to Pokemon when I was around 5 or 6 years old. A couple of my friends had these Pokemon cards and I was really intrigued by them.
    I didn't have any games of my own for a little while though. I know my first game was Yellow, and then Stadium. I think I had Pokemon cards before any of the games.
    I did play Blue version though, and Stadium at friends' houses.
    I don't remember exact details of everything that happened, but that's the basic story behind it.

17. EliJolesy

EliJolesy Well-Known Member

Oh my god.... Gosh the memories. I grew up with my younger brother and three cousins, all boys. My brother watched Pokemon and my cousins played the games. They lived and breathed Pokemon. They even played pretend Pokemon. And that's all they played. I was the only girl so I really just automatically thought it was a boy thing. But then my parents took us to see Pokemon 2000 in theaters and I LOVED it! So I played Pokemon then and the next year for Christmas I asked for a Pokemon game. I got the clear purple Gameboy Color and Gold. Then for Easter I got Crystal. 11 or whatever years later I'm a bigger Pokemon fan than my cousins now:)

18. Runandwine

Runandwine Knight Trainer

I believe I was 9... when the anime series started I played the red version :) since then I never stopped baha

omg ROFL!! x)

19. Inferno Vulpix

Inferno Vulpix Despicably Average

My first exposure to Pokemon was when I was roughly in Kindergarden and my brother brought home a Vulpix card that one of his classmates gave him. I was interested, but not much came of it until we got a GBA from our parents. My brother also got Pokemon Ruby, and I remember watching him play all the time. For a long time, he was the only one who played, but eventually I got either Pokemon Sapphire or Pokemon Yellow (I can't remember which was first), and we got a second GBA. Around then I started playing the games about as much as my brother. I even played Pokemon Yellow to the point where it wouldn't even start anymore. As time passed, my brother was always the 'better' Pokemon fan, that is, until he suddenly lost interest around Diamond and Pearl, and quit the franchise altogether.

I still have that Vulpix card my brother brought home that day, and it is one of my most prized possessions.

20. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Well-Known Member

Not sure how old I was but it was somewhere around 4 or 5. I watched the shows like crazy and eventually my dad bought me blue, after he was done beating it -_-. So yeah I can say pokemon was a huge part of my childhood and was my first videogame. I remember playing it all the time during long car trips and I even ended up getting one of those portable lights for my GBA. Ever since then I've bought each new game although that might change with 6 don't have enough money for a 3DS :(