• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your pokemon memories- How you started playing

EliJolesy

Not sure how old I was but it was somewhere around 4 or 5. I watched the shows like crazy and eventually my dad bought me blue, after he was done beating it -_-. So yeah I can say pokemon was a huge part of my childhood and was my first videogame. I remember playing it all the time during long car trips and I even ended up getting one of those portable lights for my GBA. Ever since then I've bought each new game although that might change with 6 don't have enough money for a 3DS :(

Oh my god. I remember when my cousin told me that the Game Boy Advance had a light in the screen and that we didn't need those portable lights anymore!!! Gosh this is bringing me so many memories.

But this making me feel so old to hear people talk about how their first game was Ruby/ Sapphire or FireRed/LeafGreen. However I guess 18 really isn't that old.

Lucario95

Behold The Aura!
I was like 4 years when I have played for the first time pokemon red since my dad bought for me when I was 3. It was a happy moment.

McBatch

the first time i ever turned on any gameboy any pokemon game i will never forget it

i was in grade 1 so about...?? 13 14 years ago i think

it was after school me and some kids were playing in the playground there was this high tower we use to jump off of then one i saw something looked like a device i jumped down the slide

then to my surprise it was a gameboy and an even bigger shock was pokemon red in the back i immediatly freaked out and started telling everyone what i found i turned it on and there he was red flipping his pokeball up and down with newer pokemon coming onto the screen then my mom said it was not mine and if i wanted it i would have to do the whole put it in lost and found and in 2 weeks if nobody claims it, it would be mine so i did

2 weeks later nobody claimed it i probably came in every 3rd day asking if it was time yet, i played that game not knowing a thing because i couldnt read or anything the game actually taught me to read. this older boy same name as me helped me out with the game and said that he would play with me once he found his gameboy he lost(epic foreshadowing) i really couldnt do anything with the game at all id get my starter and kinda do things.

then one day he asked me were i found it i showed him where and he said it was probably his so the good natured boy i was i gave it back. we became friends but i guess because he was older and i no longer had a gameboy he never wanted to play. of course i was crushed that was the first gameboy i had ever picked up held parents never wanted to buy me one money reasons. and that was it the first gameboy i ever had gone just like that not even a week having it i think long time ago.

then my mom starts dating this new guy and he had daughters much older than i and they had gameboy colours( at this point i had recieved a gameboy just dont remember when) and eventually they gave me their gameboy colour of course i was happy i think of it now as a good karma i gave a gameboy back which was techinically mine because i waited the 2 weeks period etc and recieved a gameboy colour instead.

i had a yellow version i would play in my cousins parents pizza place when my mom was at work and i would go there after school my cousin was gaming hero he would always be better than me eventually give me my first celebi with a gameshark most nostalgic moment for me always thinking was just playing in that pizza place trying to beat brock with my pikachu, and nidoran female.

then i get gold the first pokemon i ever got to level 100 without missingno glitch was my first starter from Gen II Feraligatr(im having huge nostalgia happening talking about this). then i got bored with the game because there was nothing to do no knew gyms so i restarted and i lost that feraligatr but i always restarted my games its why i played.

then to my surprise i get a pokemon blue for easter i wanted it so i could trade the original starters over and play with them at the beggining it was good times i had playing pokemon when i was just a young kid with all my friends.

then i never had a gameboy advance so i never got to play RSE as a child so i dont have nostalgia for them ive played no emulators but its not the same as if i was a kid. then i lost pokemon for awhile always playing my gameboy colour and blue on my pokemon stadium.

and when heartgold soulsilver came out i heard they were remakes of my favourite childhood game( i still played pokemon me and my friend just recently about a year ago finally beat pokemon stadium 1&2 i hate those games...)

so i bought a DS lite and got heartgold and eventually Soulsiver and now its these days of playing still need to get some gameboy advanced games.

but in my nintendo drawer i have my retired Blue, Red, Yellow, Pokemon stadium 1&2, 2 battery dead Golds(ive gotten 1 from a friend for my bd inculding his gameboy stuff friend), my silver, link cable, my friends gameboy colour my other friends gameboy colour, and probably the most important item the gameboy colour i recieved from that older girl i will never forget how happy i was and grateful for it.

Argon Wartortle

Farewell, SPPF...
I was like 8 when my brother started watching the anime. I remember only agreeing because it was always before Dinosaur King, my favorite show. It took AGES, but eventually I decided it wasn't too bad. I then got Diamond for my 9th bday and I have been hooked ever since.

HolyNova Lucario

Average as average can be
I traded my Sonic Advance 3 game with my friend to get Pokemon emerald which was my first Pokemon game. Then after that I watched the anime from ep 1

Niek993

Someoneinthisbigworl
I was about 8 years old when i started loving pokemon
So my parents bought me a nintendo ds for my birthday with pokemon pearl with it.
I loved the game and played more than 400 hours on it.

Cloud_Arcanine

Scarlett starlett
I was about 7yrs old. Pokemon Red. Gameboy Pocket. Good times.

As for the anime, I can't remember if it started during SM:TV live or not, but I definitely remember the episodes at some point being on during the show (this applies to my fellow UK peeps)

Last edited:

Bananarama

The light is coming
At age 7, I saw all of my friends playing Pokemon. I asked my uncle, and he gave me a free Gold game (He worked at Gamestop). He meant well, but it didn't work.

My mother bought me Blue at Gamestop for $2 (it was in the used section). The rest is history.

Also, I have collected cards since then, too!

The Anime, I have watched even earlier.

Strawberry Mint

Dancer in the Dark
Sharing more stories now, figure I might as well.
The first time I ever played a Pokemon game was at my friend's house, and it was Pokemon Gold version. They were playing it on a Game Boy Player for Gamecube. Almost all of my friend's gamecube controllers always malfunctioned, so I somehow got stuck going in one particular direction on the bike until I hit a wall and then couldn't move at all. I didn't know this was because of the controller, so I called the game stupid. Only later did I get to play it for real, and become totally absorbed in the little world inside my Game Boy.

When I first played G/S, I got hopelessly stuck at Goldenrod City, because I couldn't figure out how to clear the Sudowoodo blocking the route to Ecruteak. I beat the gym, played the Game Corner a TON (won all the pokemon), and trained my Pokemon to ridiculous extents. Later on I saw a friend playing a part of the game I had never seen before and asked them how to get past it. I was so excited to be able to move forward in the game, I played it the whole night. I "slept" in my bedroom's walk-in closet so my parents wouldn't be able to catch me playing game boy (I'd hear them first before they opened the closet door and could put away my gameboy quickly.) I wonder how much sleep I lost because of that game.