• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Positive and Negatives of each generation

PineapplePizza

^^^

Generation 1
Positive: Without its success there wouldn't be, arguably, improved generations. It had over all the most aesthetically pleasing Pokemon in my opinion. Of course there are great, amazing designs in all of the generations but this is the only generation where there isn't a single design I outright dislike (if only that carried over with those fugly backsprites)

Negative: The game is fundamentally broken. Not even stuff like Psychic Pokemon being overpowered and speed being associated with high critical ratio but even stuff like how you could theoretically sweep your opponents by paralyzing them and then using a trap damaging move like wrap or fire spin. The AI's are unbelievably idiotic. You should have no trouble beating this game based on the gym leaders and Elite Four making dumb moves alone. Also all the not-fun glitches like ghost moves not being good against Psychic like they were suppose to. And those damn back sprites. Since GameFreak continued to use the same backsprites from Japanese Red and Green even with the updated Japanese Blue/Interational Red and Blue release and Pokemon Yellow improving on the front sprites but those fugly back sprites they never bothered to update made using quite a number of Pokemon an eye sore.

Generation II
Positive: Basically improves on generation 1 in every which way. More balance so the Psychic type aren't overpowered. The Pokemon sprites look how they're suppose to (or close enough) front and back. Events that only happened on certain days of the weeks like the bug-catching contest or Lapra only showing up in Union Cave on Fridays just made everything a bit more interesting. And the day and night cycle and being able to raise and breed Pokemon made it all feel a bit more realistic. The rival is probably the best rival in all the games

Negative: the infamous level scaling issues goes without saying, doesn't it? The game seems a bit hesitant on introducing 100 new Pokemon since there seems to be a LOT of generation 1 Pokemon showing up in the wilrd in comparison the newly introduced Pokemon I mean, half of the Johto gym leaders use exclusively generation 1 Pokemon. The hell?

Generation III
Positives: The storage box is much easier to use. Given Pokemon "natures" was kind of a neat idea as it allows you to project a bit more personality on to them in your RPG game. The Kanto remakes are probably the best way for new players to experience the Kanto region if they didn't grow up with the gen 1 games and therefore have less patience for them.

Negatives: Getting rid of the day and night cycle. Too much water.

Generation IV
Positives: Heartgold and Soul Silver are the best Pokemon games ever. Platinum is the most "improved" of the "improved 3rd version games" (compared to Japanese Blue, Crystal, and Emerald).

Negatives: The pacing of the main series games is a bit off. Too many damn legendaries.

Generation V
Positives: No old Pokemon until the post-game was a neat idea forcing old fans like to me to not rely on old favorites. Leaving the big show down with the antagonist after you defeated the Elite Four was a brilliant idea especially when looking at gen VI when you already beat Team Flare and then its like oh I still got a badge or two left to get and I have to face the Elite Four. The gym leaders are pretty great and well implemented. Especially when looking back to how dull they were in gen 1.

Negatives: The Pokemon in the post-game are way over-leveled. For all the talk of "how great the story is" its just another villain takes over the world plot. Fans talk about how ballsy it is to have the villains question if its right to capture Pokemon and make them battle but considering the villains do exactly that and are obvious hypocrites from the beginning it all falls apart then and there. It's not ballsy. It's basically Game Freak making fun of people who point that stuff out.

Generation VI
Positives: Kalos looks amazing. The music is great. Even if it s a bit pandering getting to receive a Kanto starter early on and its Mega stone was a neat idea. Character customization was also neat. It was just nice to be able to change clothes is all I'm saying.

Negatives: The pacing is terrible. It takes waaay too long between the first and second badge. And the main conflict is over before you even get your last couple of badges.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Gen 1:
+:
Obligatory “it started the series”
Some great Pokèmon like Primeape, Nidoking, & Kingler

-:
Glitchfest.exe
The difficulty came from technical oversights
Nonexistent post game content
Ugly sprites (ik they were good for its time)
Is the root of Kanto Pandering (go figure)

Gen 2:
+:
Introduced baby Pokèmon, split the Special stat, breeding, day/night cycle, option for female character (ig), Shinies, held items, cross gen evolution and an actual meta that’s not just RNG abuse

-:
*breathes in*
Boring story (how do you manage to get worse than Kanto)
Awful & forgettable cast
Level curve is a disgrace to RPGs
Roster is so mediocre
2nd region is actually my biggest problem with this game. Causes isssues with the awful aforementioned level curve
It exists.

Gen 3:

+:
A good roster with classics like Sceptile & Rayquaza
Great region
An actual playable version of Kanto :0
A 3rd version that actually has noticeable differences
Introduced abilities and Double Battles
Team Aqua & Magma don’t make me sigh like Rocket
A likeable Champion
A decent story
Anime started getting good

-:
Hit or miss sprites
Most music is grating to my ears
Kind of get unmotivated to play in between Gyms & it only applies to GBA games for some odd reason
Sevii Islands
Annoying requirements for rewards involving the Pokèdex in FRLG

Gen 4:

+:
Everything

-:
Nothing besides HGSS’s entire existence

Gen 5:

+:
9.5/10 Quality roster
Actually isolated itself from its successors (BW)
Moving sprites
Great post game (B2W2)
An attempted shot at a more serious story (key word is attempted) (BW)
Triple Battles
Seasons
Differences in towns and music between versions
All around good music
Introduced one of only 2 good spinoffs in Conquest (other is Battle Revolution FYI)
Iris as Champion
TMs being unlimited use
Didn’t rely on Kanto pandering
-:
BW’s story just bored me to death. The constant preaching about understanding everything not being black and white (so clever, GF) & acceptance of opposition’s viewpoints just makes roll my eyes
All of Team Plasma excluding Colress & the Shadow Triad
Bianca, Alder, N, & Ghetsis
Anime was awful
B2W2 took away the “only gen 5 mons” gimmick
Lack of post game in BW
Rotation battles

Gen 6:
+:
3D graphics
Megas/Primals
ORAS’s Delta Episode
Horde Battles
Super Training
Almost perfect OST
Roster
Character customization
Roller skates
Anime was great
Good postgame
Soaring
Hoopa’s Rings
More freedom movement wise
Being able to use the Acro & Mach Bike at the same time
Competitive is fun again
-:
Too short (rip Pokèmon Z)
Kanto pandering was annoying
So much cut content from XY
Lagging in Double Battles
Difficulty? What’s that?
Enternal Floette never being released
Limited clothing options

Gen 7:
+:
Trials (heavily prefer these to Gyms)
Better clothing options
Great roster
Best OST
Best cast of characters by far
Good graphics
UBs
Actually difficult in USUM
Z Moves
Alola Photo Club
Traveling between islands
I like the VS models actually moving
Pokèmon feel like they’re apart of the culture
Good post game
Ultra Necrozma
Meantime Surfing
Traveling to an alternate world
-:
Kanto pandering, but worse
Melemele is just tutorial central
Lags a lot
Cutscenes take forever
LGPE exist
A lot of plot points felt rushed or left unfinished
How tedious it is to get items
Poni felt so bare bones

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Gen 1
+ Decent start for the series
- Too experimental and outdated.

Gen 2
+ Has two regions
- Kanto feels empty

Gen 3
+ Gave us the greatest Pokemon love story in history, Pokemon Adventures RS Chapter
- Lack of cross-generational transfer from Gen 2 to Gen 3 started the "this new generation is bad" loudmouth minority trend.

Gen 4
+ Awesome lore
- Slow, Platinum fixed this though

Gen 5
+ This generation crazily raised the Pokemon standards to new heights, it's that great of a generation.
- Very few cons I can think of, lack of post-game in the original BW.

Gen 6
+ SMOOTHEST. AND MOST FRIENDLIEST ONLINE. MULTIPLAYER. EVER.
- Too easy

Gen 7
+ Graphically and story-wise extremely good.
- USUM although offered a lot of game content did felt like somewhat of a repeat of SM, even strangely more-so then Emerald or Platinum.

Orphalesion

Gen 1:
Positive: "blabala started the series blablabla" Jigglypuff and Ninetales. I prefer Team Rocket over most of the modern teams. Legendary Pokemon take their home somewhere off the beaten path and don't make the plot all about them.
Negative: I find the majority of designs bland and boring. Even within this generation certain very specific type-combos, colour schemes and design elements repeat ad nauseum (grass/poison, water/ice, Rock/Ground, the shonen eyes, all that beige, that ugly grey-purple they liked to use so much) Random Elements plot you just kinda stumble into. No Dark Type. No Steel Type. No Fairy Type. Broken Psychic Type. Dragon and Ghost types are so few they might as well not exist. Start of Kanto-pandering.

Gen II:
Positive: Dark Types, Steel Types, Special Split. Kingdra for being a fully evolved Dragon type who doesn't look dumpy.
Negative: I dislike the majority of designs even more than the Gen 1 ones... The dex just feels like an "Expansion" to the Kanto dex. There's so few Dark and Steel types that they might as well not exist, the situation of Ghost and Dragon types hasn't really improved in any substantial way. Kanto feels empty. The Unown. Still no Fairy Type.

Gen III:
Positive: Starting from this gen on, I find the Pokemon designs becoming much more varied, colourful and pleasing. There's finally decent numbers of Dragon, Steel, Dark and Ghost types. There's now a decent number of Pokemon and varied type combinations for most types. There's more character to the NPCs.
Negative: It's the start of the "Evil Team messes with the cover legendary" plot that consumes the later games. Still no Fairy Type.

Gen IV I haven't played. But I suppose...
Positive: Physical/Special split.
Negative: Lickilicky and Tangrowth. From what I can tell there's terrible type distribution in Sinnoh. Arceus (seriously? Plus it started that "Oh my Arceus" crap)

Gen V:
Positive: OMG so many new Pokemanz!!!! And so many awesome looking ones! The story, even with the cover legendary plot, and characters continues to improve.
Negative: That Kami trio, or whatever they are called. Still no Fairy Type.

Gen VI:
Positive: Fairy Type has finally arrived! Pokemon-Ami was cute. Small number of legendaries. Super_Training
Negatives: The first small generation. The start of the "Qualitiez over Quantitiez" excuse people like to mindlessly ape. Mega-Evolution. Kalos feels unfinished.

Gen VII:
Positive: Fairy Type is expanded to a decent number and decent variety of type combinations. Best story and characters so far, imho. Best Region design. Regional Variants. Poke-Rides. It's the first time that incorporating the box legendary into the plot worked for me. Liked trials better than gyms. Z-Moves. Hyper-Training.
Negatives: The second small generation. The number of legendaries and special, limited Pokemon (UBs) in proportion to the overall dex size is waaaaaay too high. Several of the regional Forms were wasted on stupid designs. You didn't get to battle all the trial captains.

M.P.

Retired
Gen I:
+ Started the series
- Glitches
- Bad sprites
- Outdated

Gen II:
+ Day/night cycle
+ Two regions
+ Dark and Steel typings
+ New evolutions for old Pokemon
+ Breeding
+ Female player character
+-Baby Pokemon. A good way to promote the breeding mechanic, but some of them were given to Pokemon that were already weak to begin with.
- Bad story
- Awful level curve
- Kanto is empty

Gen III:
+ Great story
+ More type variety
+ Abilities
+ Double battles
+ Decent third version
- No more Day/Night cycle
- All jokes aside, there honestly was a bit too much Water in these games.
- Introduced the "evil team wants to awaken cover legend to do bad stuff" plot which was reused way too many times in later gens.
- Too much HMs

Gen IV:
+ Physical/special split
+ Great third version
+ Lot of cool evolutions for older Pokemon, like Gliscor
+ Return of day/night cycle
+ Best champion in the series
- ...and some of not so cool ones, like Lickilicky
- Terrible type distribution (which Platinum fixed)
- Slow (again fixed by Platinum)
- Overabudance of legendaries
- Too much HMs
- Great Marsh was far from great
- Annoying rival

Gen V:
+ A lot of new Pokemon
+ TMs are reusable
+ Story was really good
+ Sequels instead of a third version
+ Great postgame (BW2)
+ Seasons
+ Triple battles
+ Great music
+ Moving sprites
- Too many legendaries
- Lack of postgame (BW)

Gen VI:
+ Fairy type
+ Customization
+ Less legendaries
+ 3D graphics
+ Horde battles
+ Soaring
+- Megas. Good idea, but too much of them were given to already strong Pokemon.
- Lack of postgame
- Worst rivals
- Worst villanous team
- Kanto pandering
- Hand-holding

Gen VII:
+ Regional variants
+ Poke Rides
+ HMs are gone
+ Z-moves
+ Changed the formula a little (trials over gyms)
+ Good story (SM)
- Hand-holding
- Too many cutscenes
- Few new Pokemon, a lot of which are legendaries and ultra beasts
- Ultra beasts
- Fishing was ruined
- Some of the trials felt like complete jokes (especially Kiawe's)
- Kanto pandering
- Lag
- USUM felt like a repeat of SM, despite all the changes. Releasing it later might have helped.

SWMegaFan

I see a lot of “Kanto pandering” in Con responses for Gen 6 & 7 lol. It’s a sentiment I have as well actually.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I see a lot of “Kanto pandering” in Con responses for Gen 6 & 7 lol. It’s a sentiment I have as well actually.
Personally I think that's a stupid reason. I can understand Kalos but Alola has something for all regions. It would be pretty blind to ignore all the other "pandering" to the other regions.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Gen 1:
+ Kick-started the series
- Glitchy
- Psychics were OP
- Did not age well compared to more “modern” generations

Gen 2:
+
Can play as a female character for the first time
+Introduced breeding
+Introduced pre-evolutions/evolutions for older Pokemon
-Bad level curve
-Many Johto mons are shoved to Kanto
-Kanto was quite empty

Gen 3:
+Modernised the IV/EV mechanic to its current form
+Secret Bases
+Pokemon Contests
+Battle Frontier
-Water routes were monotonous
-Flaws of HMs began to become prevalent

Gen 4:
+Introduced the modern physical/special move split
+Cynthia is one of the best champions in the series
-DP were slow
-Horrible Pokedex variety in DP
-HMs were a bit overbearing

Gen 5:
+A good amount of post-game content
+Restricted to only new mons pre-Elite Four felt a bit fresh
+Gym Leaders felt more alive
-Sprites can sometimes be grainy
-Some Pokemon only evolve at very high levels

Gen 6:
+First games in 3D
+Trainer customisation
+Mega Evolutions
+Helped to make breeding easier
-NPCs were not very remarkable
-Next to no post-game
-Can be a bit too easy especially if you left the Exp Share on
-Started the Kanto pandering trend

Gen 7:
+No more HMs
+Totem Battles were a nice change from Gym battles
+Good story (at least in SM)
-Customisation options felt a bit weak compared to XY
-SM felt a bit unfinished
-Fishing is a pain
-Kanto references felt they overshadowed the ones for other regions

Last edited:

alexterri

en 1
Positives: Started the franchise, and some of the pokemon are timeless
Negatives: Broken beyond belief. The battle system is a mess. Most of the pokemon are garbage and have extremely uninspired designs [seriously, I can't believe people bash Trubbish when gen 1 gave us a pile of purple mud]. Sprites are terrible. Generally really outdated and clearly a product of the 90s [I know that's not its fault, but that doesn't mean it's not an issue]

Gen 2
Positives: Fixed a lot of the glaring issues with Gen 1, and added a lot of features that would become important in the franchise. Has the most postgame. Introduced my favourite pokemon type [dark].
Negative: Literally why was the level curve like that. Boring story that was mostly just the gen 1 plot [which wasn't exactly amazing either] repeated with some character changes and new twists. Postgame is extremely barren despite having the most of it. Most of the pokemon are bland and basically just rip-offs of gen 1 pokemon, with a few exceptions. In general way too obviously a sequel to RGSY and not enough of a standalone game.

Gen 3
Positives: The best set of pokemon in any gen imo. Region is well-designed even if there is a lot of water. Made the battle system a lot more fair and balanced. Had an actual unique story instead of just building off the story of the two previous games. Added a lot of features that would be important to the franchise, just like gen 2.
Negatives: Too much water ecks dee. Sprites are kind of ugly, though not as bad as the gen 1 ones. Probably the worst soundtrack of the franchise. Removed the day/night cycle. Generally a lot of the annoying aspects of the modern games started here, including in regards to the fandom.

Gen 4
Positives: Has my personal favourite region, along with my favourite villain team aside from gen 3. Added the physical/special split. Added a LOT of new evolutions for pokemon that needed them. Also, Platinum is the only third version in the franchise that actually fixes or tries to fix most of the issues with the originals instead of just combining them and adding new stuff like the others.
Negatives: The story itself is pretty lackluster. Also, HGSS is no where near as good as people insist it is.

Gen 5
Positives: Actually tried to be its own thing instead of relying on gen 1 and 2 nostalgia like most of the other modern gens do. Most of the pokemon are cool [I know that's an unpopular opinion]. Has the best story overall. Also had sequels, which I wish the franchise would continue doing instead of third versions.
Negatives: Level up system is kind of annoying, though not as bad as the gen 2 one. while I do like the story, I think Team Plasma is a badly thought out team when you look at it by itself. Also, I like the fact that it tried to be its own thing, but not having ANY old pokemon at all was kind of excessive. The rivals were annoying and bland. Barely any postgame in BW.

Gen 6
Positives: BEAUTIFUL graphics. Made a lot of the extremely tedious and annoying mechanics less so. Dragon type are no longer beings of death and destruction in multiplayer. Customization is cool. Pokémon-ami is a nice little mechanic.
Negatives: Mediocre, badly-paced plot. No sequels of any kind. Not very many new pokemon, though the quality of the pokemon by themselves is alright. Painful amount of kanto pandering.

Gen 7
Positives: Gave some much needed changes to the game structure. Also has very nice graphics. Added more good fairy types. Gave a lot of old, outdated pokemon good regional variants [MUK] and got rid of HMs once and for all.
Negatives: Same problem with kanto pandering gen 6 has, although at least here its improving on bad pokemon instead of making already powerful pokemon OP. Also has the same problem with not a whole lot of pokemon, even though the pokemon themselves are mostly fine. Entire first hour is a chore to get through. Story is very hit-or-miss. The sequels are literally just repeats of the originals but with some more added stuff, and really jut highlights the abovementioned story problems.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Gen I: Introduced Pokemon who have stood the test of time and proven strong again and again, increased a surge of popularity, however it also suffered from numerous glitches and had some balancing issues and awful types
Gen II: Balanced out types, made the game more complex when it sorely needed it, however a lot of the new Pokemon were outclassed or weak/hard to use. While the post-game was great, it felt more like the game was just as Kanto extension rather than its own
Gen III: Introduced abilities to help new Pokemon and added some strategy, the new batch really stood out and made a large world. However the new evil team wasn't impressive(though to be fair, neither was Team Rocket in Gen I), and the amount of caves and water could prove bothersome
Gen IV: Finally gave us the special-physical split that made so many Pokemon better to use, and was a boon for Grass types in their power and moveset. However it was very slow
Gen V: In my opinion the best generation yet, as it improved on everything in Gen IV, gave the best average roster since perhaps Gen I itself, and arguably the best story. It also redeemed Bug types. Really, its only real "flaws" are not doing much new and innovative. That, and it didn't have much to buff old Pokemon, given they couldn't introduce anything connected to old Pokemon. I will give them credit for having the courage to focus almost entirely on the new Pokemon
Gen VI: Poke Amie was a nice touch, the Fairy type opened a new niche for the often lambasted Poison and Steel offensive moves, and looked pretty. However the post-game was almost non-existent in the central Kalos region, the evil team wasn't nearly as impressive as Galactic or Plasma and your rivals were especially boring
Gen VII: Worked hard to make you part of the story, overall best and most colorful characters, and did a lot with its region. However it was also guilty of bias and pandering to Gen I

Last edited:

SWMegaFan

There was a years-long period where I left the Pokemon fandom for a while so I didn’t get a chance to experience some of the games as they came out (didn’t play Gen 3’s Emerald & FRLG, but I got back into Pokémon on the tail end of Gen 6’s run with Pokémon Y & AS; I’m rectifying this buy playing used copies of Platinum, HGSS, & B2W2), but for those that I did play:

Gen 1:
Pros
- Started off the Pokemon franchise.
- Introduced many Pokemon that are still beloved to this day
- The Mew glitch (though I didn’t find this out till years later, thanks to the internet)

Cons [though relative to the fact that they’re the beginning of the franchise]:
- Games were glitchy, though 1)most people wouldn’t comes across a glitch unless purposely looking for them & 2)I did take advantage of the MissingNo glitch in order to have multiple rare candies & master balls
- Thin story
- Lack of competitive battling
- Lack of lore & world-building
- Lack of post-game
- Though a good almidón of great Pokémon, there were also those that weren’t appealing

Gen 2:
Pros:
- Introduced more Pokemon
- It included Kanto as Johto was meant to be the western portion of the land
- Story was more in-depth
- World-building & lore was expanded upon
- Introduced breeding & genders
- Ability to bring Pokémon from Gen 1 games over to the Gen 2 games
- The introduction of the day/night cycle

Cons:
- Though the post-game was expanded upon, Kanto didn’t really have a lot of activities for the player to do
- Though a lot of great Pokémon were introduced in this generation, there was still those few that were “meh”
- Lack of Celebi event for players outside of Japan

Gen 3:
Pros:
- The addition of the weather mechanic
- The addition of abilities & nature, fundamentally setting up the foundation of the competitive battling scene that we know of today
- Some of my favorite Pokémon music comes from this generation
- The introduction of remakes, thus allowing players to complete the national Pokédex

Cons:
- The inability to bring Pokémon from Gen 1 & Gen 2 games (though this was due to technical limitations of the technology at the time, as well as Gen 3 making fundamental changes to how Pokemon are coded into Pokemon games)
- The omission of the day/night cycle
- Quite a bit of water routes
- Not as much post-game as Gen 2’s games
- Though more lore & world-building was added, the antagonists seemed to have goals that were kinda odd

Missingno.Fan

Gen I:
+Started the series
+Introduced iconic Pokémon
+The glitches
-Lack of a post game story
-Broken type chart
-The glitches

Gen II:
+Introduction of Dark and Steel
+Hold items
+Breeding
+Post game story
+Trading (not just one way transferring) from earlier games
-Felt like new Pokémon were just kind of .....there.
-Can’t get some new Pokémon until Kantonian
-Horrible level curve

Gen III:
+First game to not be its own thing and not a sequel
+New environments
+Weather
+Abilities
+The music (minority opinion)
-Water routes got kind of boring
-No day and night cycle
-Can’t transfer from older games

Gen IV:
+Cynthia
+Physical/special split
+Platinum started the trend of a third version being a different story
-Too many pointless evolutions
-Slow
-Too many legendaries
-Lack of variety

Gen V:
+Reusable TMs
+Pokédex of all new Pokémon
+Great soundtrack
+Seasons
-Lack of Post game
-Some Pokémon evolved at too high of level

Gen VI:
+Fairy types
+Charcter customizing
-Mega evolution was wasted potential
-Lack of Post game
-Too short (totally missed out on Z)
-Too much gen I pandering

Gen VII:
+regional variants
+Z moves
-Gen I pandering
-Tials instead of gyms
-Ultrabeasts.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Generation I:
+Introduced Arcanine, Starmie, Ninetales, Gyarados, Sandslash, Nidoking, Lapras, Articuno, Moltres, Vaporeon and Jolteon
+The Gyms can be challenged out of order
-The region is boring and flat
-Dugtrio, Mr. Mime, Hypno, Electrode
-Team Rocket is overrated
-No game balance whatsoever
-No backstory for legendaries (barring Mewtwo, who is a man-made Pokemon anyways)
-Awful TMs like Water Gun and Egg Bomb
-Barren postgame
Generation II:
+Kingdra, Skarmory, Lanturn, Azumarill, Donphan, Tyranitar, Espeon, Heracross, Scizor, Lugia and Raikou
+Silver is the first rival to have character development
+The special split
+Breeding
+The ability to play as a female character
+Dark and Steel types
+Day and night cycle
-The level curve is ridiculous
-Kanto is empty
-A number of Johto Gym Leaders don't even bother to use Johto Pokemon
-Johto lacks its own Pokemon League
-Most Pokemon are either useless (Unown, Delibird, Magcargo), gimmicky (Smeargle, Wobbuffet), or too weak without evolved forms (Togetic, Piloswine, Aipom, Yanma, Gligar)
Generation III:
+Amazing region
+Absol, Salamence, Aggron, Milotic, Swampert, Flygon, Altaria, Metagross, Kyogre, Groudon, Latios and Latias
+Natures and Abilities
+Battle Frontier
+The Sevii Islands
+The overhaul of the IV/EV system
+Diving
+The introduction of regional and national Dex
+The integration of legendaries into the storyline
+The music
-May/Brendan give up too soon
-Spinda, Luvdisc, Swalot, Dustox, Volbeat, Illumise
-The Elite Four in FR/LG never use Hoenn Pokemon
Generation IV:
+The physical/special split
+Sinnoh is large and explorable
+Staraptor, Floatzel, Weavile, Gallade, Togekiss, Rotom, Leafeon, Yanmega, Mamoswine, Roserade, Gliscor, Origin Giratina
+The Gym Leaders are challenging
+The Distortion World
+The Pokeathlon
-Awful regional Dex (in D/P)
-Probopass, Tangrowth, Lickilicky, Purugly, Mothim, Lumineon, Carnivine, Regigigas
-Super Contests are lame
-Slow surfing and battling (in D/P)
Generation V:
+Reusable TMs
+The characters and storyline
+The music
+Samurott, Braviary, Mienshao, Sigilyph, Cinccino, Golurk, Galvantula, Zoroark, Haxorus, Reshiram
+The first true sequels
+PokeStar Studios
+Join Avenue
-Linear region with too many bridges
-Can't plant berries in-game
-Gothitelle, Eelektross, Klinklang, Seismitoad, Scrafty, Conkeldurr, Throh, Sawk, Swoobat, Watchog, Heatmor
-The Gym Leaders/Elite Four use way too few Pokemon with bad movesets
-A number of TMs are useless (Struggle Bug and Incinerate)
-Black City/White Forest in B/W
Generation VI:
+Fairy type
+Soaring in the sky
+Horde, Sky, and Inverse battles
+Mega Evolutions (especially for weaker Pokemon)
+Talonflame, Dragalge, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Goodra, Aurorus, Gogoat, Pangoro, Greninja
-Barren postgame
-The Gym Leaders and Elite Four still have too small teams
-The fanservice
-Delphox, Carbink, Diggersby, Dedenne, Hoopa, Volcanion
Generation VII:
+Hyper Training
+The Pokemon never level up while in the Nursery
+The NPCs use non-standard Poke Balls
+Regional variants
+Primarina, Vikavolt, Passimian, Golisopod, Mudsdale, Midday and Dusk Lycanroc
-The new fishing mechanic is too tedious
-No National Dex in-game (why?)
-Bruxish, Incineroar, Crabominable, Palossand, Turtonator, the Tapus barring Tapu Koko
-Tons of non-regional Pokemon aren't obtainable without being transferred from the Bank
-The trainers' Pokemon don't award more experience than the wild ones of the same level, which makes no sense by Pokemon standards
-Poke Ride is one of the most overrated features ever created (I do understand the complaints about the HMs taking up moveslots, but basically having no right to use your own Pokemon outside of battle is a slap in the face and an insult to the theme of the franchise, to say nothing of the ugly saddles and the outfit)

Last edited: