• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your religous views, and your view on the meaning of life.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
If I could find the meaning of life, maybe it would mean no more late nights in front of the TV on a quarter of a supervicoden. I once thought I was supposed to be a writer, but I nearly killed myself basing every breathing minute of my life on one cause...so I stopped.

My religious views are that there is a sort of God, whether skhle is a deity above us, or a collective energy activated through all of us and nature. I am somewhat agnostic then, I believe, because I like to keep my views ambiguous. I don't think God is angry at me for feeling this way because nonetheless I somehow still feel love from them.

Um...as a writer I think I have some sort of writers' religion. I see irony in a lot of things that happen, and look at real life happenings like plot devices.

Splitzman

Bad to the Horn
My religious views are that I respect whatever religion people practice, but I don't practice any myself. I'm an atheist and sometimes think about science/logic to describe the unknown.

The meaning of life I realy don't have a definition entirely, but vaguely, I see it as living and determining yourself in society.

Well since all minds aren't one total collective being, the idea towards life has to be very general.

So the only thing that could make sense at this point are:

Life is what you make it (what you think it is personally)
Life is what it is (what happens in it)

Which are really close o-o.

If you think about it at a very cold, technical standpoint, life and everything else has absolutely no meaning since the universe is going to 'die'.

The Director

Ancient Trainer
Really if you were to create the real or true meaning of life, if indeed there is one, you would have to take into account other life forms, plants, animals, possible aliens as well as humans. Personally i don't believe there is one but the meaning of life would have to apply to them as well.

voltianqueen

Fire and Lightning!
I consider myself an atheist. I look to science for my answers, but when none are available I simply accept it as...unknown. I don't believe in a god, but if it does exist I would think that it would be impossible for us to know anything about it, because...well, how would we? But I think of god(s) as something that early people used to explain what they did not understand.

As for the afterlife... If there is one, then I don't think it will be an afterlife of a religion, dreamed up by people. I think that maybe we depart to some sort of spiritual place, where we are still able to contact those still here on earth in some way... Or something. Or maybe that's just I want to believe. Maybe it's just nothing, like not yet having been born, and it won't be scary because you won't be aware of it.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread atheists could get into heaven as well, as long as they were truly sorry for the things that they did wrong... But if I do not believe in this heaven, but I am a good person during my life, only not believing in god, what would happen to me, from the Christian point of view?

(also, i'm pro-choice and all for gay rights)

LegendaryGarchomp

I consider myself an atheist. I look to science for my answers, but when none are available I simply accept it as...unknown. I don't believe in a god, but if it does exist I would think that it would be impossible for us to know anything about it, because...well, how would we? But I think of god(s) as something that early people used to explain what they did not understand.

As for the afterlife... If there is one, then I don't think it will be an afterlife of a religion, dreamed up by people. I think that maybe we depart to some sort of spiritual place, where we are still able to contact those still here on earth in some way... Or something. Or maybe that's just I want to believe. Maybe it's just nothing, like not yet having been born, and it won't be scary because you won't be aware of it.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread atheists could get into heaven as well, as long as they were truly sorry for the things that they did wrong... But if I do not believe in this heaven, but I am a good person during my life, only not believing in god, what would happen to me, from the Christian point of view?

(also, i'm pro-choice and all for gay rights)

That would be me. We as Catholics believe that one does not have to believe in Heaven in order to get into Heaven, one must simply try to live a good life and be sorry for any wrongs they have commited.

I believe everyone should try to live their lives as holy as possible believing there is a loving merciful God and dieing only to find out there isn't than living cruel lives believing it all doesn't matter because there is no God only to find out there is.

(just so you know I believe in God 100% no doubt about it)

Hope I have answered your question for you. If you have anymore go ahead and feel free to ask :)

voltianqueen

Fire and Lightning!
So then supposing that heaven exists, and I do good in my life, then even as a nonbeliever I could be accepted into heaven anyway, is what you're saying? That interesting to me because from what I've heard from other people I know is that in their view, I'm going to hell eithr way, just because I don't believe o_O

LegendaryGarchomp

So then supposing that heaven exists, and I do good in my life, then even as a nonbeliever I could be accepted into heaven anyway, is what you're saying? That interesting to me because from what I've heard from other people I know is that in their view, I'm going to hell eithr way, just because I don't believe o_O

Yes. And the people who said that are just trying to force you into religion. I don't believe in atheism but I respect others opinions. You can convert others in much better ways than scare tactics. So might I ask why don't you believe in God?

Last edited:

zombieinmyfridge

They exist.
I really don't like it when people try to exert their religious beliefs onto others, so what I believe is based around keeping an open mind.

God could exist...but it's just as possible that there is no higher power.
I believe in the big bang theory, in that everything in this universe began as a single, infinitely small point. However, I really cannot tell you how this small point was created and so, religion has its appeal to me.

voltianqueen

Fire and Lightning!
It doesn't seem likely to me, like one of those things where it's just not possible (but i guess, with the divine, anything is possible). But if one were to exist, besides its existance, I don't think we'd be able to know and understand anything about it, because...well, it's GOD, it just is what it is. But one of the main reasons is that there have been so many religions in the past with different beliefs and different deities, how do we know we are choosing correctly?

I don't buy into the world's creation by God, but I can't say I buy into the Big Bang either. I just don't know, and I don't know if humanity will ever know what really, truly happened in the very beginning, their personal beliefs aside. I think it is all a great mystery... But I suppose anything could be a possibility.

LegendaryGarchomp

It doesn't seem likely to me, like one of those things where it's just not possible (but i guess, with the divine, anything is possible). But if one were to exist, besides its existance, I don't think we'd be able to know and understand anything about it, because...well, it's GOD, it just is what it is. But one of the main reasons is that there have been so many religions in the past with different beliefs and different deities, how do we know we are choosing correctly?

I don't buy into the world's creation by God, but I can't say I buy into the Big Bang either. I just don't know, and I don't know if humanity will ever know what really, truly happened in the very beginning, their personal beliefs aside. I think it is all a great mystery... But I suppose anything could be a possibility.

Well Catholicism is the oldest religion there is. It started off with only Adam Eve and God. Then they decided not to listen to God and Give into sin. Then their children gave in to sin as well and the chain goes on even today anyways, God promised them He would send them a Savior, who is known as Jesus Christ. This Religon was Judaism but then when Jesus Christ was sent down to die for our sins Judaism became Catholcism (some still practice Judaism however) where we follow Christ's teachings.

Another thing, all other religions have been started by man, compared to Catholicism which was started by God himself. Jesus Christ, when He came down taught us how we should live our lives. And before He left to go up to Heaven He chose his disciple Peter to lead His Holy Church. Then when Peter died a new Pope had to be chosen to lead the Church and so on and so on even to this day.

So basically to sum it up Catholicism has been around since the begiining of time and will always exist.

Hope what I posted makes sense to you and everyone else.

The Director

Ancient Trainer
The jewish religion is much older than catholicism. And even jewish is unlikely to be the oldest as you still get people who believe in the ancient Egyptian Gods.

That aside though and onto the "if you are good you will go to heaven anyway".

What is good? What is evil? It differs so much between society's and religions how can you tell? Was it evil to kill the Nazi's? Its still killing no matter what they have done. Is it good to supress peoples ideas?

Do you think Hitler believed he was doing evil? Or at least unjustifiable evil?

Good, Evil. To me just labels given by society to those who break or support laws.

LegendaryGarchomp

The jewish religion is much older than catholicism. And even jewish is unlikely to be the oldest as you still get people who believe in the ancient Egyptian Gods.

the Jewish Religion and Judaism are the same thing aren't they? sorry if I just got the names confused. And Adam and Eve were Jewish and the first people on earth so Judaism is the oldest religion. Sorry if the following doesn't make sense I'm trying to think of how to say it... think of Catholicism as a book, Judaism would be the first chapter of the book. It then leads up to the next chapter which is called Catholicism. I hope that makes sense. I'm still trying to think of a better way to phrase it.

What is good? What is evil? It differs so much between society's and religions how can you tell? Was it evil to kill the Nazi's? Its still killing no matter what they have done. Is it good to supress peoples ideas?

First off the Catholic Church says that the Death Penalty is wrong no matter what they have done so yes it was wrong to execute them. And I believe everyone has a moral compass to allow them to know what's good and what's wrong. As for suppresing others ideas it depends on their ideas, if its to inflict pain and sorrow among others then it should be suppresed, but if it is to benefact others then it should not.

Good, Evil. To me just labels given by society to those who break or support laws.

I don't know for sure what he thought, I don't know if he was mentally ill or not. If someone is mentally ill and cannot tell between right and wrong they aren't commiting a sin.

I'm about to go now I'll reply to any questions anyone has when I get back.

voltianqueen

Fire and Lightning!
Well Catholicism is the oldest religion there is. It started off with only Adam Eve and God. Then they decided not to listen to God and Give into sin. Then their children gave in to sin as well and the chain goes on even today anyways, God promised them He would send them a Savior, who is known as Jesus Christ. This Religon was Judaism but then when Jesus Christ was sent down to die for our sins Judaism became Catholcism (some still practice Judaism however) where we follow Christ's teachings.

Another thing, all other religions have been started by man, compared to Catholicism which was started by God himself. Jesus Christ, when He came down taught us how we should live our lives. And before He left to go up to Heaven He chose his disciple Peter to lead His Holy Church. Then when Peter died a new Pope had to be chosen to lead the Church and so on and so on even to this day.

So basically to sum it up Catholicism has been around since the begiining of time and will always exist.

Hope what I posted makes sense to you and everyone else.

But this would still be your personal belief, something you were taught growing up or a conclusion you came to on your own. For me, the beginning is still a mystery, and as for the first actual religion...haven't many things been lost in time? There were probably many religions that existed that we don't even know about now.

I was going to say that "evil" would be associated with people who kill, steal, or whatnot, but then again, it's just breaking the law like you said, since killing and stealing are against the law... I guess it's kind of hard to understand the actual concepts of good and evil, since different people perceive things differently.

ToonLinkBrawler

Legendary Hunter
You know, every time I hear the words "Big Bang Theory", Christians and the like turn their heads and scoff, what if a "higher power" did this? I'm not saying I believe in god persay, but I do believe in a "higher power", whether it be a deity or not.

Last edited:

Kthleen

Wayfaring stranger
I appear to be a misotheistic dystheist who tries not to think/care about too much. That is:

-Should God exist, it seems He would be, unfortunately and by His prerogative, what humans might call "evil." (Then again, as if we have the moral high ground... but then again, He seems to be described as the do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do-type parent who already knew almost no one would do as He said because He [apparently] made us that way [see link].)

-Our "purpose" would be to be the toy soldiers to His Cosmic Bored Kid with a Magnifying Glass.

-Never really thought about if there were other gods/higher powers (except that the Greco-Roman gods sound like utter turds, too), but if there are no gods, then... I guess there wouldn't be. [img139]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Kthleen/l33t%20Emoticons/VWFixxshrug.gif[/img139] And existence would have no defined purpose (except that cutesy "what we make of it! [img139]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Kthleen/l33t%20Emoticons/UnoffGWcrazylaugh.gif[/img139]" thing).

Other than that:
-Aliens? I don't know and won't care much unless we find them/they come to us.
-Evolution? Seems like it.
-Creation or Big Bang? Eh... not the former, but not too sure about the latter (think about it: if black holes are too massively gravitational for light to escape, how did a singularity containing all the matter in the universe just suddenly decide to expand?); however, though I'm curious about the origin of existence and this universe in particular, I don't care enough to try to find something I "like" and take it as truth.
-Pro-choice
-Pro gay rights

LegendaryGarchomp

Judaism came before that. as Jesus was Jewish.

Plus the polytheistic religions that Christianity got rid of.

Ok seriously are you guys going to read the entire post or just the first sentence? You're the second person to say this. (third if you count me)

Here's my response to the last person who asked this.

the Jewish Religion and Judaism are the same thing aren't they? sorry if I just got the names confused. And Adam and Eve were Jewish and the first people on earth so Judaism is the oldest religion. Sorry if the following doesn't make sense I'm trying to think of how to say it... think of Catholicism as a book, Judaism would be the first chapter of the book. It then leads up to the next chapter which is called Catholicism. I hope that makes sense. I'm still trying to think of a better way to phrase it.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
Lately, I've been trying to figure out my own religious beliefs, and it's only been confusing me. Maybe typing it out will ease some stress?

I was raised a Catholic Christian (and technically still am; my mom makes me go to church every week even though I told her I can't stand the Catholic Church), but I honestly can't stand the religion. The only good thing that came out of it was my confirmation name that I can use instead of my dreadful middle name. (Joseph or Cornelius, which is better? Cornelius, obviously. Patron Saint of Cows for the win.) I just don't like the way they're so "spread the word, convert, convert!" and whilst they preach equality they're really not that great. And all they really care about is money, I can't stand the church. And I'm supposed to sit there and let them tell me that I'm an abomination because I'm not straight? Shove that shit up someone else's ass.

But when I think of death, I automatically think of heaven, but with angels, (and the puffy clouds, etc. You know, like the Philadelphia Cream Cheese commercials), and with one God watching over the Heavens, pretty much like Christian beliefs. But I don't actually believe any of the other nonsense (just... i dunno. when science backs up stuff like the big bang, it makes adam and eve (adam and steve) pretty unconvincing), and it irritates me when the church told me that "God created the two great lights in the sky; the sun, and the moon". Um, the moon doesn't produce its own light. Not to mention that Christianity and Greek Mythology has some of the same "stories", and could of been slightly based off of it.

I'm really interested in the Shintoist Faith, and I'd really like to learn more about that. It's more simplistic; there's a spirit for everything, let's not anger those spirits. I know that it's much more complicated than that, but I like the message a lot more. Of course there are multiple Gods (which always made more sense to me), and it just seems to be a better idea, and lots of Shintoists also practice Buddhism funerals, which I also like the idea of. But as much as I like the idea of it, I'm not sure if I can go out and say I actually believe in it.

However, I do feel that there is a greater being out there that created everything, and that there are multiple gods and such, but as humans we're not really supposed to know exactly what he or she is until we die, when all is revealed. Religions were only created to explain things that science couldn't, after all. So you can't really believe that each story man has created was one hundred percent true. I believe the idea of Shintoism, but the exact stories that Shinto has scrounged up may not exactly be the truth. But there definitely is some type of being out there that created the world, and lesser deities under the supreme creator that control everyday life, just nobody knows what they are yet.

As for the meaning of life, I believe that life is just life. We're here, we're alive, so let's have fun and live it up. Whatever that creator has planned for us is what we're destined to do, and we can't change the destiny, but nobody exactly knows what they're destined to do in the first place, so whatever happens, just happens. Once die, all will be revealed. You can't really define what the meaning of life is, because you could ask how the gods were created, or why there's a god in the first place who created this world, what exactly is this world, and why is there life on it? I guess I just think too much about why the universe just can't be total "nothingness" with no life on it whatsoever, or, no universe whatsoever and there not even be a world in the first place. So I guess I don't actually have a meaning of life.