• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your religous views, and your view on the meaning of life.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Ok seriously are you guys going to read the entire post or just the first sentence? You're the second person to say this. (third if you count me)

Here's my response to the last person who asked this.

the Jewish Religion and Judaism are the same thing aren't they? sorry if I just got the names confused. And Adam and Eve were Jewish and the first people on earth so Judaism is the oldest religion. Sorry if the following doesn't make sense I'm trying to think of how to say it... think of Catholicism as a book, Judaism would be the first chapter of the book. It then leads up to the next chapter which is called Catholicism. I hope that makes sense. I'm still trying to think of a better way to phrase it.

Adam and eve wernt Jewish. First of all, Chances are Adam and Eve is just metaphor for man and woman. not physical people. (This I was told by a Priest, who has a degree in philosophy).
And also Judeism was founded by Abraham, who came after Adam and Eve, if we are to take them as literal people. Infact he was 20 generations after Adam and Eve. so it didn't exist in the time of Adam and Eve.

Judaism and the Jewish religion are indeed the same thing. but they arn't Catholicism.

But Im pretty sure there were polytheistic religeons before Judeism. Such as the beliefs of the Ancient Egyptians and Greeks. and folk religions of different area's.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Not to mention that Christianity and Greek Mythology has some of the same "stories", and could of been slightly based off of it.
If anything It's that Christianity has based 99% of stories off Egyptian Myths. Mostly these are the old testament tales.

Joseph and the Technicolor coat is an Example. Also there is a Bablyonian legend about a man that was tipped off by a god that the head god will send down a massive flood that will last for 40 days and 40 nights. So he built an ark that could fit 2 of every animal and he and his wife lived on that.

Yeah. Christianity to me is just a few old tales stiched together to make one tale.

LegendaryGarchomp

If anything It's that Christianity has based 99% of stories off Egyptian Myths. Mostly these are the old testament tales.

Joseph and the Technicolor coat is an Example. Also there is a Bablyonian legend about a man that was tipped off by a god that the head god will send down a massive flood that will last for 40 days and 40 nights. So he built an ark that could fit 2 of every animal and he and his wife lived on that.

Yeah. Christianity to me is just a few old tales stiched together to make one tale.

Hey for all you know maybe they could have copied the old testament. This debate will just go in circles so lets go ahead and carry on....

And the next topic is...
MIRACLES

If the Catholic Church isn't the true Church then how can you explain all the miracles? Fatima? Juan Diego? Incorruptibles? Padre Pio? The transubstantiation in Lanciano Italy? Look them up.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Hey for all you know maybe they could have copied the old testament. This debate will just go in circles so lets go ahead and carry on....

And the next topic is...
MIRACLES

If the Catholic Church isn't the true Church then how can you explain all the miracles? Fatima? Juan Diego? Incorruptibles? Padre Pio? The transubstantiation in Lanciano Italy? Look them up.

considering They came before the old testament, I higly doubt it.

also, the only proof we have of miracles, is some ones account. and word of mouth. The person may have been mistaken.
They were recorded in book, or by word of mouth. this doesnt make them true. harry potter is written in a book, but we all know that has no truth in it as such.
They (miracle claims) are about as reliable as a bloke down the pub saying he saw an angel last night.
you know chances are he didn't.

Ive studied miracles as part of my Philosophy and Religion course. and the are many flaws with many miracles.

but the counter problem as it were, is who are you to tell someone else what they do or do not see?

I hope that made some sense.

Neekerisanni123

Kanbei <3 _ <3
I honestly believe in six fictional dragons I created. Sometimes,I ask them to change things in the real time,such as keeping the weather nice or making the wind blow stronger,or even keep those nasty snakes away when I walk in the forest,and every time I have asked them to do something,it has happened. Odd,isn't it? And I actually even believe they exist,but others just can't see them. Only me. And I even think that I didn't really create them,but they just appeared to me.

Now you are going to think I'm crazy... but it is the honest truth. Really.

Kthleen

Wayfaring stranger
every time I have asked them to do something,it has happened.
Permanent world peace (between nations and between individual people) within the next two years? [img139]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Kthleen/l33t%20Emoticons/BMGlookaround.gif[/img139]

Last edited:

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
Hey for all you know maybe they could have copied the old testament.

Well if you take into consideration that those myths were created way before the Old Testament, then it would be impossible.

This debate will just go in circles so lets go ahead and carry on...

And isn't that the point of the debate?

@~Spacial_Rendation~ - I did not know that, but about the Noah's Ark-like story, I had heard that before but someone told me it was a Greek Myth. That's pretty interesting.

LegendaryGarchomp

also, the only proof we have of miracles, is some ones account. and word of mouth. The person may have been mistaken.
They were recorded in book, or by word of mouth. this doesnt make them true. harry potter is written in a book, but we all know that has no truth in it as such.
They (miracle claims) are about as reliable as a bloke down the pub saying he saw an angel last night.
you know chances are he didn't.

Ive studied miracles as part of my Philosophy and Religion course. and the are many flaws with many miracles.

but the counter problem as it were, is who are you to tell someone else what they do or do not see?

I hope that made some sense.

Well how about the incorruptibles? They're still here as is the body and blood of Jesus Christ in Lanciano which has been tested numerous times and the result has always been the same, Blood type AB and it is real human flesh. And there are numerous other times where this has happened. Each time those have been tested the same result is reached Blood type AB and it's confirmed as human flesh.

Alkaide

Hold on real quick...

Here you go from Wikipedia:

Hegelian dialectic, usually presented in a three-fold manner, was stated by Heinrich Moritz Chalybäus as comprising three dialectical stages of development: a thesis, giving rise to its reaction, an antithesis, which contradicts or negates the thesis, and the tension between the two being resolved by means of a synthesis.

Last edited:

Neekerisanni123

Kanbei <3 _ <3
Permanent world peace (between nations and between individual people) within the next two years? [img139]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Kthleen/l33t%20Emoticons/BMGlookaround.gif[/img139]
Maybe. :D Who knows?

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Well how about the incorruptibles? They're still here as is the body and blood of Jesus Christ in Lanciano which has been tested numerous times and the result has always been the same, Blood type AB and it is real human flesh. And there are numerous other times where this has happened. Each time those have been tested the same result is reached Blood type AB and it's confirmed as human flesh.

can they prove the age of these body's?

LegendaryGarchomp

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Yes they can.

Here's alink where you can read about them and see some pictures of them.

Click Here

Thats quite intresting.

Though it never explains why they were Exhumed though. its suspicious that they have exhumed that many bodys, who all happen to be catholic. Was exhuming random bodies a common thing? (though to be honest it doesn't strike me as being random. (quite calculated to be honest.))

LegendaryGarchomp

Thats quite intresting.

Though it never explains why they were Exhumed though. its suspicious that they have exhumed that many bodys, who all happen to be catholic. Was exhuming random bodies a common thing? (though to be honest it doesn't strike me as being random. (quite calculated to be honest.))

With some they had to be moved for their protection during the Protestant Reformation. (Relics and sSaints bodies were being desecrated) With St. Bernadette it was because the nuns there noticed a sweet smell coming from her grave so they decided to exhume it. There are many reasons for it. I also read that the bodies are exhumed 50 years after their death to see if their incorrupt I'm not sure about it's accuracy however.

Also one more thing, I would like to thank you for being such a wonderful debater and not flaming every post I or anyone else has made.

Oh yes, this is the final thing I promise, did you look up the transubstantiation in Lanciano? It is really quite interesting.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Also one more thing, I would like to thank you for being such a wonderful debater and not flaming every post I or anyone else has made.

Oh yes, this is the final thing I promise, did you look up the transubstantiation in Lanciano? It is really quite interesting.

not yet.
ill look now.

That does seem quite odd.

I was reading about it on a blog. and whilst I havnt thought of these points myself, I still find them intresting.
I do realise its a slightly bias source.

1. The testing completed (apparently by scientists commisioned by the Vatican) is silent on the stunning "any combination weighs the same as the total" discovered in 1574. The reason why it is silent on this point is because, of course, it is total ********. If that finding can be clinically replicated in 2009, I will shut down this site immediately.

2. After considering everything which is alleged to have occurred, I am reminded of David Hume's line of reasoning with respect to supposed miracles - see the post entitled Back to the atheist basics .... Hume on Miracles. Which is more likely in this case? A. Someone slipped in some heart tissue and blood; or B. Transubstantiation (i.e. miraculous transformation of cracker and wine into flesh and blood). I think I know where I would place my money.

3. One would think that the Vatican would be very interested to have DNA testing carried out on the tissue to see if it is human and, if so, to trace the mitochondrial DNA. Oh, but they wouldn't want to do that. If the tissue was human and the DNA could be traced, we would have the means to trace the genetic origins of the person who supplied that sample back for millenia before the supposed immaculate conception. Once you start considering the implications of a modern scientific investigations of this supposed miracle, you start to see why the Roman Catholic Church is not at all anxious to go down this road.

LegendaryGarchomp

not yet.
ill look now.

That does seem quite odd.

I was reading about it on a blog. and whilst I havnt thought of these points myself, I still find them intresting.
I do realise its a slightly bias source.

1. The testing completed (apparently by scientists commisioned by the Vatican) is silent on the stunning "any combination weighs the same as the total" discovered in 1574. The reason why it is silent on this point is because, of course, it is total ********. If that finding can be clinically replicated in 2009, I will shut down this site immediately.

2. After considering everything which is alleged to have occurred, I am reminded of David Hume's line of reasoning with respect to supposed miracles - see the post entitled Back to the atheist basics .... Hume on Miracles. Which is more likely in this case? A. Someone slipped in some heart tissue and blood; or B. Transubstantiation (i.e. miraculous transformation of cracker and wine into flesh and blood). I think I know where I would place my money.

3. One would think that the Vatican would be very interested to have DNA testing carried out on the tissue to see if it is human and, if so, to trace the mitochondrial DNA. Oh, but they wouldn't want to do that. If the tissue was human and the DNA could be traced, we would have the means to trace the genetic origins of the person who supplied that sample back for millenia before the supposed immaculate conception. Once you start considering the implications of a modern scientific investigations of this supposed miracle, you start to see why the Roman Catholic Church is not at all anxious to go down this road.

Click Here

You know if it wasn't really his body and blood you'd think it would have begun to rot and dissintegrate after all these years.

Ethan

Banned

There's no evidence to support this. We define the oldest religions by the first mentions of their name or followers in the earliest texts. The Hebrew people have their origins as nomads in ancient Iraq, their faith as well as their stories could have been part of their culture hundreds of years before the old testament was thought of.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
Alkaide

Hold on real quick...

Here you go from Wikipedia:

Hegelian dialectic, usually presented in a three-fold manner, was stated by Heinrich Moritz Chalybäus as comprising three dialectical stages of development: a thesis, giving rise to its reaction, an antithesis, which contradicts or negates the thesis, and the tension between the two being resolved by means of a synthesis.

You do know that anybody can edit a page on Wikipedia, right? And there was no reason to get so literal, if you're making a debate on sppf, of course it's going to end like that.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
You do know that anybody can edit a page on Wikipedia, right?

You do know any website on the internet is someone's opinion or how they have interpreted something, and therefore could also be wrong.

to be honest id say 99% of the time wikipedia is right. you just have your wits about you.
If your not sure about something check for sources at the bottom.

Arzana

Internet Squirrel
I believe the meaning of life is the pursuit of happiness. To BE happy. To do things that make us happy and experience happiness while alive.

Why are we born? To be happy.

I also believe we are supposed to add some good to the world. We have a job to do here and we must find what it is and do it.

So we bring happiness to ourselfs and others.

My religion is Mormon.