• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Review On Generation V

Pokemon Power

OK, now that Generation V is almost over, I wanna know what everybody thought about it. I'd like everybody to post their own review on it right here on this thread. Here's how it will work, I want everyone to review it year by year, starting with 2010 and ending with 2013. I'd like each year to include your own takes on the games, the anime, the manga and major news like the reveal of Keldeo. When you are finished talking about your personal thoughts, you may give it a rating out of ten stars.

Ninfia-Fan

I didn't find out about Gen 5 until 2 months before it's release, so when I first heard about the moving battle sprites, I was beyond happy.
I also fell in love with Reshiram, with Zekrom leaving an 'evil' impression on me. I never did complete Black or White, but I know about the events that took place after Victory Road. Also, when I saw N I was uncertain if he was really 'evil' or not, because he never seemed to do anything, personally, that endangered pokemon.

When BW2 came out, I got White 2 because White Kyurem appeared to have better design. I love how Gamefreak(?) changed the way in which the Pokemon's sprites moved and also added the diversity of past gen pokemon. It was also interesting to start from the western side of Unova and work my way east to Castelia then move clockwise.
I almost cried when Hugh was reunited with his sister's Liepard, and it was hissing at him. If there was one villain I hated more than any other, it would be Ghetsis. For what he did to N, to the Pokemon...
The only thing that really scared me was when Ghetsis ordered Kyurem to try and kill the main character. I was so happy when N appeared.

I also got Genesect and Keldeo(which I had to travel 3 hours to get), with Genesect helping me through many tough battles.
All in all, I rate Gen 5:

8.5/10 Excellent!

skittlepup

Braixen is MINE ;)
Gen V was my first Gen... looool. So it does hold a place in my heart [i'm such a newb x3]
But I have played Gens IV and III, so I can compare the three Gens.

Gen V had a pretty cool storyline and some pretty cool features. Comparing the games to its predecessors D/P/P, it's taken a large leap into online connectivity. The Pokemon designs... they don't quite feel like Pokemon to me... they didn't really even before I played any other Gens. I had known about a couple of Sinnoh Pokemon beforehand (I had declared Piplup my favorite Pokemon because it was a penguin xD), and they always felt like the most Pokemon-like to me (yeah I'm probably alone on that).

Overall I can't really judge it too harshly as I had no previous experience. 9/10.

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
I've pretty much been with gen 5 from the start. My favorite pokemon from this gen was Snivy, Reuniclus, and Leipard starting off. Leipard quickly went out the window though. It's still cool it just never really stuck out as a pokemon I'd like to have on my team. (Probably because to me, IT SUCKS!) Going into Black/white for a second, I have to say that if there's anything I could bash gen 5 for, it's the lackluster black/white. I personally don't have a problem with the games. I liked team plasmas ideas (It eventually led to me coming up with my own edited nuzlocke challenge.) and liked N. It's just that apart from remembering when I captured a relaxed natured magic guard Solosis on my first capture (Which I freaking loved.) And the Victini I took with me through my second Playthrough (The release that didn't have V-create), I don't really have very many memories with Black and White.

When Pokémon Conquest came out I freakin loved it. It looked so cool. It was Fire Emblem, but with pokemon. I had to get my hands on it. Initially, it was everything I hoped for. I got really into it for a time. Then when the storyline ended and the side stories began, I stopped playing it and even reset it a few times. I did not enjoy going through the extra storys and the story itself, after playing it for the third time just felt to short. I'm really REALLY hoping Game Freak makes a sequel with a bigger storyline, a more in depth battle system, more pokemon, and more moves. It by far has the best potential of any pokemon spin off. Colosseum and XD included.

When Black2/white2 was announced, I didn't really care. The sequel aspect didn't really appeal to me. I don't even remember when I got White 2. Going into the game though, I FREAKIN LOVE IT! I love the rival. Apart from silver he's got the most development to me. The story was meh to me. The pokemon..... oh the pokemon. There were so many to choose from. I also made quite a few memories from it too. The two that pop off the top my head are when I first found out that audino gives a crap ton of exp making training a breeze and essentially making the game way to easy and one shotting Iris' entire team with my level 65 haxorus. After those two immediate memories, there was white tree hollow. Going through that was a really fun if not easy time. The battle frontier was fun and all but I really liked white tree hollow. That's what game freak was missing in terms of end game content. A big goal you can accomplish with your ingame team and doesn't hax you to death. HeartGold was by far my most favorite pokemon game...... right up to White 2 which is currently my most favorite pokemon game.

In conclusion, I enjoyed gen 5. White 2 and Conquest were both really good times for me. As of now my current favorite gen 5 pokemon are Reuniclus, Keldeo, and Dewott. I used Oshawott like it was nobodies business in white 2. Sinvy is cool and all but it just didn't do it for me in the end. Meanwhile Dewott can go all Niitoryuu on you. (2 Sword style) Team plasma Had some interesting ideas. (Even if they do come off as a little cheesy but this is from the outside looking in perspective.) Finally, White 2 is my all time favorite Pokemon game. However, Black/White come off as a bit bland to me and the story, while interesting, doesn't really matter to me. 8.5/10

Missingno.Fan

I loved it. I find it a huge improvement over Generation IV. I might even go as far as saying that it is my favorite generation.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Inb4 Gen V "oh yeah it was mediocre" everything.

I love BW/BW2, it was a much improvement from the HG/SS that made me sleep everytime I played it. Yes there were some flaws in the game but then again every Generation had flaws. Overall people tend to not look at the positives of this generation and just rather praise the previous generations without noticing the flaws like Sinnoh's slow paced gameplay and Kanto just being overrated personally.

Last edited:

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
2010:
I was looking forward to Pokemon Black and White as soon as it was announced. I was constantly checking serebii.net almost every day to find out what new things to expect. My first thought of it would be that it was going to be absolutely wonderful. I was actually a bit jealous of the Japanese people considering it was them who got Black & White first.

2011:
Finally, the game was released! Although I didn't get it until the next month, I enjoyed watching my friends playing it at school. At last I got Pokemon White, I found it so fun that I didn't take breaks to eat sometimes.

2012:
By this time I had finished Pokemon White a couple of times and I wasn't really sure if I wanted White 2/Black 2. Well, they were sent over to me anyway from my mother in America. I enjoyed it quite a lot, but I thought that the storyline wasn't as original as Black/White, but definitely still enjoyable. Unfortunately I found these two games too short and too easy.

2013:
In January I found out about Pokemon X & Y and still can hardly wait. I was expecting (like others) a Ruby/Sapphire remake (LOL, that sort of rhymes!). I am personally a little bit bored with Generation 5 now (However, I always do that when a new generation has been announced). I still believe that it was a very good generation.

8.5/10
Good stuff, Game Freak!

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Well, linear, had some of my least favorite Pokemon, it had some of my favorite Pokemon, but by god if it wasn't my first new generation of Pokemon sine I got back into Pokemon earlier this year.

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
I loved Gen V. Before it came out, I didn't really look at much information about the game and as such I only really saw the starters and nothing else about the game. When I finally got Black for my birthday in June in 2011, I was so excited. As I didn't know much about the game, it was very thrilling to explore this brand new world I didn't know much about. I choose Oshawott as my starter and my final team ended up being Samurott, Liepard, Simisear, Excadrill, Whimsicott and Zebstrika. I loved how you could only find Gen V pokemon pre-elite four as it made the game feel that much more new and exciting. I also really liked how the sprites where now animated as it made the battles feel more lively. The story line was very well crafted, and in my opinion, the best pokemon story line so far. When I first met N, I didn't know what to make of him. When I found out that he was the head of Team Plasma, I declared him as evil. However, after I found out what Ghetsis did to him, I felt sorry for him, and didn't blame him for the course of action he took(I was also angry towards Ghetsis). The scene before you fight him in his castle where Reshiram came down to meet me was so awesome as well. I actually lost to N the first time and had to go back for revenge. The music in this game is some of my favorite pokemon music, my most loved being the music at Route 10. The graphics in this game also looked very good to me, and overall it was just a fantastic game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. By the time I got the game, most of the wifi events where over however I love how pokemon are being distrubited over wifi for free. The dream world is also a very fun aspect of the game which I enjoy. BW2 was also awesome.
My rating:10/10
~RaichuArcanine~

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
Disclaimer: I have not played White 2 yet, although I will very soon.

Gen 5 was the first gen in which I was hooked to news and announcements from day one. It is a not a perfect gen and has some problems, but overall I think it was a big step forward and is overall very good. I am sure others will note the bad things about it, but I am going to focus on the good things:
Story Focus: For the first time in ever, a main pokemon game was story focused. The story was interesting and with better characters and actually moved the plot and gameplay very well. I am very glad Game Freak finally got it. The game was simply interesting.
No "Grey": As I said, I have not played the sequels yet, but the fact that there are sequels instead of a third installment is a big step forward. I always disliked the notion of a third installment, since it renders the obviously less polished unworthy of buying for me. On that note, I am also glad there are more differences between the versions rather than just a few dex alterations.
Mechanics: Animated sprites and changing seasons brought a lot of life into the game, and reusable TMs made it better in my opinion. The decreased use of HMs was also a relief.
Pokemon: I had a lot of complains about the gen 4 dex, since I don't like many of designs and plenty of them are just evolutions of older designs. The gen 5 dex, while not perfect and even too large for my taste, was better. More interesting designs and more pokemon that I personally like. Starters, while disappoingly unpowerful, were goor (save Emboar) but I don't have much issues with the starters of any gen. Legendaries were overall better as well- Zekrom is the first mascot legendary I actually chose the version for, and Cobalion is the first legendary since gen 2 that I wanted to have on my teams. The genies are **** though, I will say that.

Overall, I like that gen and I am looking forward to X/Y.

PokemonTrainerKaden

From someone who's been with Pokemon from the first games, manga, and anime, I loved it. In my mind, it was one of the better generations (right behind 2, which was my overall favorite).
I've played through White and White 2, and then I'm helping my sister complete her Black and hopefully get her started on Black 2 soon so that she can be done with them and ready for her X version. Overall, it had a few of my favorite Pokemon, such as Zoroark. I loved the story, and the characters, the main character of Black and White felt a bit like he was equivalent to the greatness of Red, with how he became such a powerful trainer, and was another sort of silent protagonist that became better known that the other characters like Ethan and May. He felt like he served more of a purpose in my opinion. I'm about to replay White with my beloved Houdoom as well.

Overall I'd give the game a 9/10, 9 because it did occasionally feel repetitive, as does every Pokemon game at times.

Chaos Werewolf

Fairy trainer
It brought me some Pokemon at the top of my favorites and at the top (bottom?) of my hated list, Roxie, Iris Bianicnia

but it also brought me the one Pokemon that scares the dumplings out of me and it's in my best friends top 3.

Best of the gen
joiltick, golurk, trubbish, swack, Haxorus

worst
Durant, emolga

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
BW's approach seemed to be more of a "clean slate" ideal - while Gen IV was entangled very deeply in expanding upon previous generations and advancing competitive play, almost to a fault, Gen V embodied a more "back to basics" ideal for the series, evident in the entirely new Pokedex, reset Route numbers, and a very different kind of plot. In that way, BW stood as something of a stark contrast to Gen IV; it stood as a fresh, clean, almost simplistic take on the Pokemon formula. There's something of an "experimental" feel about the game as well, in comparison with past games; from aspects such as reusable TMs and shops folded into Pokemon Centers to the Route design and Gym Leader rosters, there's an underlying theme of trying something new, a theme not truly seen since Gen I.

BW2, on the other hand, seems to be something more of a juxtaposition between the new ideas of BW and the ideas of old, while still managing to break new ground of its own - a description that manifests itself in the PWT. Unlike past third versions, BW2 not only enhanced BW, but created an entirely new game of its own. As the final Pokemon JRPG to be released on the venerable DS system, it does its time of release justice; it's a retrospective of elements from all of the past games that introduces new concepts of its own, such as Pokestar Studios. It pushed the system to its limit, and did an excellent job setting the stage for Pokemon X and Pokemon Y to come about.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
Good:
- reusable TMs
- slightly better storyline
- moving sprites in battle

Bad:
- Pokemon designs
- Region design (towns, cities, etc.)

Overall: 6/10

Of course, this is all my opinion. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the games, but they were a lot worse than the previous generations.

IAintObeezy

Ban this Trainer
overall i think the gen deserves an 8/10. Most of the points go to first game where it gives a new light to how the player should portray the villain. The loss of points goes to the second game where the villains were once again reduced to petty thieves with petty goals...and also it's when i realize the franchise worships pokemon waaaay too much.

Nightmareisalive

Black
Good game has a very interesting story line very original for one of the main stream games. Really it is my fave Pokemon game story wise. The region though linear was still good. Pokemon were interesting and some very interesting places. Though I felt they could of went the extra mile with some places. Some cities though made to feel important weren't actually that important.

8.5/10

Black 2
Continues on the story which is very good. Though the story lacked the surprise Black had it was still very good and I feel it can rival it. Pokemon in the game were good to have added content to the areas of the game. The game did very well linking the legendary Pokemon with the villain team and really went with it.

9/10

IAintObeezy

Ban this Trainer
How dare those Pokemon games promote Pokemon.

you say it sarcastically but i mean pokemon are literally in EVERYTHING from sports to musicals. hell even the movies are just flashy pokemon battles. not one thing goes by without pokemon involvement. which should be expected and accepted but to me its just...annoying.

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
and also it's when i realize the franchise worships pokemon waaaay too much.

The series is all about people working with Pokemon and learning to live together.

Nightmareisalive

you say it sarcastically but i mean pokemon are literally in EVERYTHING from sports to musicals. hell even the movies are just flashy pokemon battles. not one thing goes by without pokemon involvement. which should be expected and accepted but to me its just...annoying.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense when everything needs Pokemon involved in it but at the same time there would be no point having those things in the game without Pokemon being involved.