• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your thoughts about Pokemon Best Wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shac

Now that N-saga is over, how are we feeling about the whole series? I personally think there was a lot of wasted potentials.

They brought in Zekrom really early and made it to connect with Pikachu. I thought that was a good build-up. They could have had easily played a bit more with that. They could have brought back Zekrom in the end and make it fight off Reshiram or something.

And why the hell even bring back Charizard back? Where is our anticipated Charizard vs Reshiram battle?

In the end it was all about the stupid bond between Ash and Pikachu again. Apparently no artificial means can overcome that. We get that already.

I mean they made Ash lose stupidly at the league. Couldn't they have done a bit more with the post league storyline? I thought they did right with planning...make series N, make Da and whatever, but what they are lacking is proper execution.

What do you guys think?

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
I like Best Wishes so far (note: I do not watch the sub much). There was only one thing I didn't like: The Unova League.

diakyu

And why the hell even bring back Charizard back? Where is our anticipated Charizard vs Reshiram battle?
The number of people taking the opening seriously is embarrassing, come on now. Have we learned nothing from past openings?

Anyways, I like BW. I have my problems with it, but nothing major. It might be the saga I have the least problems with.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
It was planned out poorly, in terms of having an incredibly shortened league with a pisspoor ending and an axew getting lost episode in between.....that ended about 30 episodes before the end of the entire best wishes saga. Ash's team was by far the worst, or definitely the worst since johto at least, with some pokemon barely showing up, and one literally almost never since capture. Iris essentially had no development at all in her dragon master goal, until conveniently getting a dragonite out of it emotionally connecting with her. Cilan literally became irrelevant besides occasional comic relief sometime mid BW2, and one of his three pokemon almost never shows up. Team rocket was consistently inconsistent, with going back and forth between goofy and serious. Those are most of the major problems with it.

Some of the really good things. There were a bunch of good filler episodes, especially pre-dawn cameo, like litwik's mansion, and the twist mountain two parter. Some of ash's pokemon got good character development, like sandile-krokorok, krookodile, and scaggy to an extent. Getting to see Iris have a girl crush on Cynthia....and just getting to have cynthia on screen period. And there have been a good amount of pretty cool battles between various tournaments and a few of the gym battles.

diakyu

Some of the really good things. There were a bunch of good filler episodes, especially pre-dawn cameo, like litwik's mansion, and the twist mountain two parter.
Yep, I was surprised to find my self enjoying the fillers after I didn't enjoy most of the DP and Advance ones.

BlueDragonfangirl

I have to say, this was my least favorite Pokemon series yet. XY anime doesn't even start till October right? Why rush the league for fillers? Makes no sense..
Ash's rivals over all were done horrible, hey guys remember how awesome that Ash V.S Trip battle was? I don't.
What the heck was the point in brining in Virgil? He added nothing! All the rivals in the past league added some thing to the league, this guy was just BS.
UGH Ash losing to a guy who broke the rules is just, why?? Of all the things he lost to, this was the best idea they had?
So many Iris episodes at the wrong time in my opinion, Ash could have used those episodes to train but nope.
Team Rocket Jessie and James were written weird this series, one thing for them to be serious the entire time but they would go from being blasted off to being serious blah blah blah.
Charizard being brought back for fan service was nice.

Yah, those are my negative thoughts on the series over al, well at least the finale was awesome >>

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Gonna be fair here, and list what I liked and saw potential:

1. I liked the postponed capture of Krokorok, while giving it cameo's. This opened up breathing space for Ash's already captured pokemon, before eventually overcrowding Ash's roster eitherway. I think that the idea is good, even with rotating, if such a capture is the seventh capture out of eight. I think that nine captures in a series, especially having eight of them before the fourth gym, is too much. So the pacing could be a bit better as well. For instance:
- Gym 1-3: Five captures, setting up the main team, while we also meet the 'postponed capture'.
- Gym 4-5: Adding one regular new capture and the 'postponed capture'. Total at this point being eight pokemon.
- Gym 7-8: Last capture, bringing the total to nine.
This would work well, instead of overcrowding the team early in the series.

2. I liked the idea of having a hatchling hatch early in the series. This opened up the possibility for regular development, and not contrived strength or wins. Sadly, those still happened. Which means that the development wasn't done constructive enough and left much to be desired. I mean if beating a Darumaka in the league is its final win, then yeah.. Sadface.

3. Iris development of a non-battling structured goal. We saw her goal in a flashback early in the series: She needed to fight Drayden once more. Meeting with several Dragon-types along the way, before capturing a second Dragon, be it a Dragonite, or a Druddigon, the set up was there. Whatever happens in the Clair episode will give this more credit.

4. Addition of Battle Clubs. They had massive potential, and should've been included more aside from the tournament, which were also great additions that returned throughout the tournament.

Aside from that, I want to give an honorary mention to the attempt at rotating, but as said above, the team got overcrowded far too early in the season, and one or two captures less especially at that early stage could've not happened, for instance Palpitoad could've been excluded.

for the most part I genuinely liked best wishes. However the inclusion of certain characters mean I have to rank it the worst of them all in my eyes.

I think im one of the few who liked the league and the battles it contained. It could of definitely been much better but I did enjoy it for what it was.

Out of everything I enjoyed season one the most, season 2 & episode n focused to much on characters I disliked and not enough on characters I did like to really enjoy them. But I still found some parts to be enjoyable, especially some of the battles.

I definitely liked the rotation system, even if it meant some team members got the short end of the stick, I was glad to see them all included.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I loved Best Wishes!~

Here's why:

The main characters. This time it wasn't Team Rocket causing humor it was the MAIN CAST actually being the source of humor in their own ways. Plus, Dento and Iris were shown to be cocky/arrogant at times and it wasn't used to be a "fault" where something HAD to change. It was part of their characters which I thought really fleshed them out. Like in the Fishing Episodes Dento was cocky--something you normally see in antagonistic characters or how a main character to lose and learn blah blah blah. But not this case it was shown that while some people can be a bit cocky etc that doesn't make them necessarily a bad person, they are still a good friend.

What else? Oh the music and colors. The colors were lovely with this region. X3

diakyu

I like the humor too. I think it comes from the fact that the jokes don't come from TRio mostly anymore.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
For what it's worth... I enjoyed the start of Best Wishes, then it took a turn downhill to become a mediocre series at best. This add on coming up really leaves me with less to be desired, but oh well, if your opinion is against BW, then it's a crime to those who love getting less for less

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This is probably the only saga that started off with a lot of potential and then squandered almost all of it. I really don't understand how this could have happened.

This gen is ending in a few months and Ash's BW pokemon hardly developed, the rivalries all went nowhere and disappeared, the lack of Giovanni and TR's handling was poor, and Team Plasma should have been around all along. And Iris and Cilan were only marginally developed.

I think its funny that all the people who were criticizing the last two sagas for their problems are eating their words right now, because for every mistake those arcs made they still did a lot of good things to make up for it.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This is the worst series and the writers and the producers should be fired on the spot for it. The series itself HAD great potential, but it was executed very poorly. The Ash and Trip rivalry was completely pointless and it started off on the wrong foot anyways. Though the series went way downhill for me right after the Team Plasma vs Team Rocket episodes were canceled. The episodes just became boring after that. BWs2 was the absolutely worst series this generation because Dawn's cameo was completely screwed up and pointless. The League made it even worse. Now this new filler series doesn't sound too promising and it sounds like we'll be getting a shorter version of Johto until x and y. The characters are also written poorly, especially Ash with his regression in the league and all. Though I did like some things about this series though, pretty much the whole N arc was interesting as we finally got to see Team Plasma make their debut and I pretty much enjoyed seeing what they brought to the anime.

Sayho1234

This is probably the only saga that started off with a lot of potential and then squandered almost all of it. I really don't understand how this could have happened.

This gen is ending in a few months and Ash's BW pokemon hardly developed, the rivalries all went nowhere and disappeared, the lack of Giovanni and TR's handling was poor, and Team Plasma should have been around all along. And Iris and Cilan were only marginally developed.

I think its funny that all the people who were criticizing the last two sagas for their problems are eating their words right now, because for every mistake those arcs made they still did a lot of good things to make up for it.

So are you saying DP > BW?

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
He never actually said that, only expressed disdain at yet another anti-BW thread, that's all.

But it's not an anti-BW thread. I'm pretty sure the title is "What are your thoughts". What's wrong with asking what people thought about it as a whole?

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
But it's not an anti-BW thread. I'm pretty sure the title is "What are your thoughts". What's wrong with asking what people thought about it as a whole?

I meant to say another thread that went anti-BW, I was rushing at that last post.

pokefandt

So, I don't post nearly as much as I should anymore. Best Wishes overall I'd give it 6 or 7 out of 10. I feel the series was at its best during the second half of Part 1, battles were awesome, we got some EXCELLENT battles out of that arc, the Donamite, the Clay, Skyla, and Brycen gym battles are easily my favorite of this region.

The Unova league I have issues with. At the very least, the animation was awesome the whole way through. It really does show how far the animators have come. I REALLY wish they hadn't knocked Trip out in the FIRST round, with only a one on one. Bianca I wish had gotten farther, Stephen was great, Cameron. . . I'm neutral, and I honestly feel Virgil was unneccesary.

Like Locurmus said, they could have spaced Ash's captures out a lot better.

Iris' development, now that I think back on it was handled pretty darn well. People complain about Excadrill listening to her too easily, but people forget that Iris didn't start beating up on people immediately after. Excadrill only beat Burgundy's Dewott and Ash's Pikachu, and both of those were pretty damn close. Excadrill BARELY tied with Beartic and got smashed during the battle with Montgomery. Excadrill still tied with Drayden, after a pretty decent fight that I wish had gone on just A LITTLE bit longer, but that's just me

Her Dragonite. . . I was one of those that had issue with it, but I don't mind him now. He's not completely unstoppable: the battle with Mamoswine was tough, Krookodile took advantage of his anger issues, and finally Charizard and Drayden thoroughly smacked him around. He has personality, which is always nice. Axew. . . he needs some work, Emolga kinda started to get pushed to the side compared to the three before her, which I was kinda expecting to be honest.

Iris herself, it took awhile to grow on me, but her backstory is pretty darn cool I gotta say.

Dent. . eh he's entertaining most of the time, but he needed a more challenging rival. Burgundy never did get a chance to fight him again, I'm hoping she can give him a run for his money, or even beat him. Cilan's the only one who hasn't lost to their rival of the main trio. Still Cilan has had more to do than Brock is his later run, poor guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.