• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Thoughts On Ash Staying In The Anime?

Should Ash Stay?

• Yes, stay as main character.

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Yes, but downplay him to supporting character.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • No, drop him already.

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters

DatsRight

This query seems to keep coming up, not just in Serebii, but many other forums, video comments, etc.

Ash is a VERY divisive character, some think he works as a trademark for the anime, some others think he has run his course and should be replaced with a new protagonist. Where do you think he belongs in the show in the possible future?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Stay in, but have the female leads take over the main character role while he becomes more like a deuteragonist

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Replace him, even if its with a Yusei Fudo (Yugioh 5Ds) knock off.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I know a lot of fans are tired of Ash and think his character has become stale, but to be honest, there is no really no reason for the writers to write Ash out of the show or drop him as the protagonist. Ash and Pikachu are the threads that tie all of the Pokémon anime series together; they are the only characters (aside from Jessie, James, and Meowth) who have appeared in every single series; and just as Pikachu is the face of the Pokémon franchise as a whole, Ash is the face of the Pokémon anime. The anime is, and has always been, about Ash's journey to become a Pokémon Master, and about the friends, both human and Pokémon, he meets and the adventures he has along the way.

I think what some longtime fans forget is that each new series of the anime sees a new generation of young viewers, to whom Ash is not a stale character (even if they watch older seasons/series).

DatsRight

Stay in, but have the female leads take over the main character role while he becomes more like a deuteragonist

One thing I've noticed is that both the SM anime and the recent movie seem to be pushing more for an ensemble cast; a large selection of main characters all with their own story and focus, even if Ash is still kinda centre fold and the glue that holds things together.

I think it's a shame SM didn't exploit this further, evening the spotlight more and having more episodes that focused on one of the companions. I say that less out of apathy for Ash, his episodes are still fun, but more because SM Ash is vibrant and flexible enough to still work well in supporting roles, sometimes better than the actual supporting cast. Some of the best episodes are in fact ones that focus more on the companions and then teaming up with Ash in some way, so we get the best of both worlds.

Basically have Ash a star but not THE star.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Why? His pokemon journey isn't over. Why shift the focus away from him?
His journey is endless and the amount of focus he gets as a main character harms the other characters to where they can't develop properly imo

DP was the closest to what I really want, since I feel like Dawn had the best treatment as she shared the main character role with him, more than the others have.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I definitely want him to say. He's the namesake of this entire franchise's creator so it's fitting for him to stay as a part of his legacy. His reckless yet well intended adventure-seeking character really resonates with fans both old and new.

However, I'm understanding of why anyone is tired of him and/or if they prefer if Ash took a backseat to his friends.

SinnohEevee

His journey is endless and the amount of focus he gets as a main character harms the other characters to where they can't develop properly imo

DP was the closest to what I really want, since I feel like Dawn had the best treatment as she shared the main character role with him, more than the others have.

It would have been cool if Hikari was the MC of DP.

keepitsimple

site of lies

....That's not an argument for making Ash a sidekick, since one could just say a new main character could take focus away from the sidekicks too.

Also it kind of feels like you're using Ash as a scapegoat here. The fact that he's the main character doesn't inherently harm other characters, lazy writing does

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I pick drop him, for my own preference.

But the character means alot for the producers/writers and there's still fans of him, so it would be better if the companions/classmates get more spotlights than what we're seeing in the recent series, preferably in the same level as Dawn.

DatsRight

I think the trick there however was that DP Brock was barely spotlighted at all, which gave Dawn more screen time spare. One could argue Ash always has 50% of the limelight, just that other 50% is shared between multiple companions instead of just one, so it still usually feels like he gets a better deal. I feel like SM might have worked better with Ash getting around 30%-40%, with plenty supporting roles in the companions' percentage to still make him feel prominent.

I know some thought BW did a better job making all three twerps feel even.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Unpopular opinion but I watch the anime for Ash and Pikachu. They're the main main characters who are irreplaceable. I love these guys and the anime is their journey. The anime is doing well with keeping Ash as the main character and giving him different friends. Replacing him won't do any good. Keep it in other media that isn't the main anime.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
It would be funny if they just drop Ash when everyone has accepted the fact he is staying. The irony would be golden. I would not be annoyed if they made him the Brock Gen 8 and actually let him go Gen 9.

I'd rather have seen him leave at the end of Gen 4 just due to how Gens 1-4 actually felt like an ongoing story and his growth was seen. The transitions since Gen 4 have just been really strange.

DatsRight

Unpopular opinion but I watch the anime for Ash and Pikachu. They're the main main characters who are irreplaceable. I love these guys and the anime is their journey. The anime is doing well with keeping Ash as the main character and giving him different friends. Replacing him won't do any good. Keep it in other media that isn't the main anime.

I was mixed about him previous series, though SM has definitely got Ash working in terms of personality. Sure he's kinda hit a wall in terms of dynamic arcs and is kinda stagnant, but he's fun enough to work stagnant.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
If they were going to drop him, it should've been after Johto or the Battle Frontier. But maybe have the female lead do the main quest for once and switch him to deuteragonist.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Pokémon is one of the few long running children's anime out there that never replaced/aged up their main character. Even Yokai Watch recently replaced their main characters and aged them up. It's like an eventual trend that Pokémon never followed suit to, and I'm rather happy about that.