• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Thoughts on Digital Media

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
So recently I was going through my iPod and was like:

Ya know, I'm not a 'staving student' now, I have a steady job and I can afford to buy the actual songs on my ipod. That being said, my playlist was about 1500 songs (many are remixes). Not only that, but most I don't even appreciate or listen to.

All in all, I decided that enough is enough. To slim my list down to music I actually listen to, I will purchase all the albums I enjoy and delete anything I do not even have a playcount on. This has now been done and my iPod is all paid for with blood.

Now here's where the discussion comes in (and there's quite a bit of grounds). What constitutes someones right to digital media? As a university student my logic was, I can't afford it, so, I will just take a digital version for now.

Also, in terms of 'sampling' digital media, what are your thoughts? Like if someone d/l a rom of X game, but if they are completely satisfied and ultimately purchase the game, does that justify them d/l it? Or if they d/l and do not like it, should they be penalized for d/l it in the 1st place?

Another thing I have been wondering about is television. For example, every Wednesday night I wait for the new episode of South Park to air. Then I d/l it and immediately delete it. Mainly due to my lack of ability to watch it as it airs (which I would). Do you see this as wrong? Does a lack of 'connection' to the real thing justify d/l a TV episode? What about people using TVO and sharing that?

My final point of discussion is the ability to d/l full length feature films. I for one, ALWAYS purchase a movie if I watch it and believe the artist truly deserves my money. Like, for example, I d/l some movie I seriously enjoyed and would like to watch over again. I am prone to buying it. If I don't enjoy it at all, chances are I will not even tell other people about it.

So to sum up all my examples:
Is d/l digital alright if you are sampling it?
If you can't afford it?
Don't have other access to it?

Flamle

Every Weekend....
My opinion on digital media: I hate it. People got in so much less trouble when we just bought CDs. The only way we would get into legal trouble is if we were caught stealing it. Now people download them illegally and get into trouble. Plus, it is killing the music business.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Media is media. I have downloaded a few hundred songs, all paid for. A movie and a couple cable shows (Yea Dexter) also. I understand both sides of the bootleg/pirating issue, it's much easier now than it used to be but I am not one to steal & this is what it is about.